Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Movin’ On

MAD Doctor
School: Appalachian State

Movin’ On

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:23 am

Look up in the sky. The sun DID in fact come up. And we are 2-0 with an off week to work on some things. Oh, and by the way, there’s a pretty good player returning to the team, #2 I think.

Time to get UNCc out of our minds. We scored 56 and won by 15. They are history, and will likely be for seven years.

Now we find ourselves a road underdog in two weeks in a big in-state showdown, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I hope we’ll see a rejuvenated, fired up team with something to prove come out and stomp some Heels.

Week 2 is over. Onward and upward. Fight App.

Stonewall

Re: Movin’ On

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:36 am

UNC might crack the top 20 if they can make 3 and 0. We will be motivated either way.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:56 am

I’ll be interested to see if Sutton does come back for UNC. If so, the offense may look even stronger than it did in the second half against Concord.
Give 'em hell!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:58 am

Both lines will be severely tested. Of course they will come after our corners.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:09 am

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:58 am
And if they don't have safety help because we are running man to man, it will be a long day. I expect Holes to have superior athletes at receiver compared to Charlotte. We were spoiled with Duck and Hayes. I guess that's CFB, but it sure is hard to stomach.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:38 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:36 am
UNC might crack the top 20 if they can make 3 and 0. We will be motivated either way.
They only got 48 votes in the week 3 AP poll. They would need A LOT of help to sniff the top 20.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:46 pm

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:13 pm

Appster99 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:09 am
Stonewall wrote:
And if they don't have safety help because we are running man to man, it will be a long day. I expect Holes to have superior athletes at receiver compared to Charlotte. We were spoiled with Duck and Hayes. I guess that's CFB, but it sure is hard to stomach.
Reminds me of the FCS days when we started 2 Freshmen Corners. We won some shootouts and lost some shootouts. Gotta be patient until they develop. Jolly had pretty good coverage on 2 deep passes for TDs but Reynolds threw the ball perfectly and their WR made great catches. We also are struggling to get pressure with just three down linemen, we have to dial up some pressure. Our DBs have to grow up!!!

PhillyApp

Unread post by PhillyApp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:08 pm

JMappfan5 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:13 pm
Appster99 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
Reminds me of the FCS days when we started 2 Freshmen Corners. We won some shootouts and lost some shootouts. Gotta be patient until they develop. Jolly had pretty good coverage on 2 deep passes for TDs but Reynolds threw the ball perfectly and their WR made great catches. We also are struggling to get pressure with just three down linemen, we have to dial up some pressure. Our DBs have to grow up!!!
Is it just me or is there two main differences in our defense? One being that the linebackers are playing too close to the line, causing a ton of pressure on the DB’s in 1-1 situations. Secondly, I felt like we used to blitz a ton more with our secondary, causing a ton of disruption and missed blocks by the opposing teams. Am I right?
Clark for Prez 2024 💪🏼

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:16 pm

JMappfan5 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:13 pm
Appster99 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
If you go back and watch his interception to seal the victory. He was actually beaten and Reynolds throw was off the mark which allowed him to make the play. Talk about irony.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:23 pm

The thing that keeps popping into my mind is the ILBs - many have noted on here that they were playing much closer to the line than in previous seasons - as I think back over the last several seasons I clearly remember Eric Boggs, John Law, Anthony Fluery, Jordan Fehr, etc.,just crushing receivers coming across the middle OR breaking up the pass OR intercepting --- the middle was wide open yesterday - I don't remember one passing down where our ILBs were involved -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:36 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:23 pm
The thing that keeps popping into my mind is the ILBs - many have noted on here that they were playing much closer to the line than in previous seasons - as I think back over the last several seasons I clearly remember Eric Boggs, John Law, Anthony Fluery, Jordan Fehr, etc.,just crushing receivers coming across the middle OR breaking up the pass OR intercepting --- the middle was wide open yesterday - I don't remember one passing down where our ILBs were involved -
Charlotte had a hard time executing the throws to the middle of the filed against GW. It wasn't really anything that GW was doing to them. It was just that their receivers couldn't catch it when it was thrown to them. A couple of the INTs were due to balls bouncing off the receiver's hands. I guess Roof and the coaches decided to crowd the line and stop the run since Charlotte had not shown the ability to operate in the middle of the field.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:45 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
I think that goes back to what someone said in another thread. We were going to stop their run and make then beat us through the air. Of course they almost beat us with both.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:48 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:36 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Charlotte had a hard time executing the throws to the middle of the filed against GW. It wasn't really anything that GW was doing to them. It was just that their receivers couldn't catch it when it was thrown to them. A couple of the INTs were due to balls bouncing off the receiver's hands. I guess Roof and the coaches decided to crowd the line and stop the run since Charlotte had not shown the ability to operate in the middle of the field.
I will absolutely take your word for that as I didn't watch the UNCC-GW game
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

nomadb

Unread post by nomadb » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:03 am

AppSt94 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
That's a valid strategy until it's proven that they can in fact catch the ball in the middle of the field. At that point our ILB's should have been in that space

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:30 am

I cant move on until I hear Coach talk Tuesday

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:39 am

watched the presser. Coach was finding the diplomatic way of saying "calm the hell down" App nation. We have played two games and scored 98 points. A couple of questions basically asked when are we going to open it up and when are we going to involve the tight ends. Drink sounded a little irritated and was glad it was over. Just my observation.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:48 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:39 am
watched the presser. Coach was finding the diplomatic way of saying "calm the hell down" App nation. We have played two games and scored 98 points. A couple of questions basically asked when are we going to open it up and when are we going to involve the tight ends. Drink sounded a little irritated and was glad it was over. Just my observation.
If that’s the case, I’ll be a little “irritated” myself. We won both games but we have yet to look good. He needs to understand that the expectations are really high. I’m not the only one to say that, several published articles have noted that he was set up in a great position and he has to get it done.
Last edited by Mjohn1988 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:19 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:48 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:39 am
If that’s the case, I’ll be a little “irritated” myself. We won both games but we have yet to look good. He needs to understand that the expectation are really high. I’m not the only one to say that, several published articles have noted that he was set up in a great position and he has to get it done.
He did not sound satisfied about where we are at as a program even with the 2-0 record. Said that we messed up a few plays that we tried Saturday and that we definitely have things to work on and to correct. He was pretty direct when asked whether he thought we were looking ahead to UNC. I am sure he was not going to address the defensive woes.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:50 am

nomadb wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:03 am
AppSt94 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
That's a valid strategy until it's proven that they can in fact catch the ball in the middle of the field. At that point our ILB's should have been in that space
Point taken but then you become susceptible to the run.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”