Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Perfect Scenario Brewing for Tarheel Game

Yosef84

Re: Perfect Scenario Brewing for Tarheel Game

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:20 pm

VNova wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:37 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:55 am
I hate to throw any cold water on the thread, but how does the fact that four coaches on staff at UNC are former App coaches impact their likelihood of "overlooking" App? Mack and Sparky both date back to the "old school" App, but Stacy Searels and Lonnie Galloway probably remember us pretty well. What do you guys think? How does that play into this equation?
Below are years since leave App State.

Mack Brown: 36 years
Darrell Moody: 35 years
Sparky Woods: 31 years
Stacy Searels: 20 years
Lonnie Galloway: 12 years

I don't think it plays into it at all. Sparky Woods spent the most time here. Galloway came from our 2007 championship/Michigan victory season. A lot has changed since then. They may think of us as that FCS team they used to coach. A "we'll prepare, but not worried" type of deal.

Yeah, I get that they have been gone a while. They don't bring "inside information" to the table. That wasn't my point. My point was that these guys have familiarity with the program and probably give App more respect than a typical P5 coach. Maybe it doesn't matter and they'll still get cocky. I guess we will see.

ericsaid
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:37 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:47 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:23 pm
AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:06 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:56 am

The Heels won't be blown away by looking at our game film from our first two games. So, this could be a perfect trap game situation for us to benefit from. Mack Brown is experienced enough to realize this but convincing his players is another story...
Everyone thinks Drink and Roof are playing checkers, when they are actually playing 3D chess.
I really hope that is the case. Drink is well aware of our desire to beat a P5, I've brought it up to him myself on the Spring Yosef Tour thing...
I hope he's right also! I'm hoping that we have been holding back. Saturday was painful to watch but the folks who are ready to throw in the towel already baffle me. We all wanted this transition to be magically smooth so that we would cruise to dominance everyone (at App) has projected. Hopefully Saturday was a glitch and the coaches get things back on track. I'm an unapologetic homer, so I will believe that's going to happen until the games are in the books.

Go Apps! Beat the Heels!
Holding back? The offense scored 56 points. If the defense is holding back....that's a problem. Not that you can run a base defense as a G5 squad and hope to hold another G5 without scoring at all, but the play calling and situational awareness as well as adjustments to what Charlotte was doing were just piss poor.

Hopefully the coaching staff creates better synergy and a plan for making adjustments to what the offense is presenting. Luckily, running a multiple front 3-4 base defense should present opportunities for confusion of a True Freshman should App manage to get pressure on the pocket and stop the run.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:57 pm

I don't get all this. UNC might beat Wake, and will probably best us. But they are not that good. Whatever happens over the next two weeks, Clemson will beat Carolina by as much as they want. Bottom line: UNC is goodish, not better than that.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:07 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:37 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:47 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:23 pm
AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:06 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:56 am

The Heels won't be blown away by looking at our game film from our first two games. So, this could be a perfect trap game situation for us to benefit from. Mack Brown is experienced enough to realize this but convincing his players is another story...
Everyone thinks Drink and Roof are playing checkers, when they are actually playing 3D chess.
I really hope that is the case. Drink is well aware of our desire to beat a P5, I've brought it up to him myself on the Spring Yosef Tour thing...
I hope he's right also! I'm hoping that we have been holding back. Saturday was painful to watch but the folks who are ready to throw in the towel already baffle me. We all wanted this transition to be magically smooth so that we would cruise to dominance everyone (at App) has projected. Hopefully Saturday was a glitch and the coaches get things back on track. I'm an unapologetic homer, so I will believe that's going to happen until the games are in the books.

Go Apps! Beat the Heels!
Holding back? The offense scored 56 points. If the defense is holding back....that's a problem. Not that you can run a base defense as a G5 squad and hope to hold another G5 without scoring at all, but the play calling and situational awareness as well as adjustments to what Charlotte was doing were just piss poor.

Hopefully the coaching staff creates better synergy and a plan for making adjustments to what the offense is presenting. Luckily, running a multiple front 3-4 base defense should present opportunities for confusion of a True Freshman should App manage to get pressure on the pocket and stop the run.
Offense scored 42. Special teams scored 14. I think it's pretty obvious that most of my comment was directed at the defense, but since you bring it up, I do think the offense has "held back" in terms of playing very vanilla. I also think the OL didn't look great in the first half while we had a sub in there. Evans had a stellar game and that covers up some things but I don't think we've yet seen our offensive potential. Based on numerous posts I've seen you make, I don't think you believe we have either. I'm not really sure why you felt it necessary to contradict anything here.

"Holding back" probably wasn't the best choice of words with regards to the D, but I do think that we have been "experimenting" somewhat. If we had been playing UNC this past Saturday, I don't think we would have implemented that "man coverage" scheme. Again, I don't think we've yet seen the D that we will see moving forward.

I do believe that there will be better synergy and more intensity moving forward. Hopefully we got our ugly game out of the way.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:23 pm

Sorry. Can’t pull for CHeat to beat Wake, or anyone. Ever.

If the fate of the planet depended on the CHeaters winning...oh well. I’d rather my last moment be of them losing than to have them remind us for all eternity of how we’re still spinning on this rock because of them.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:05 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:23 pm

If the fate of the planet depended on the CHeaters winning...oh well. I’d rather my last moment be of them losing than to have them remind us for all eternity of how we’re still spinning on this rock because of them.
I remember several years ago, App needed WCU to beat Elon (I think) in order for App to have a chance at a share of the SoCon, assuming no upsets. I had a really, really hard time deciding what I wanted to happen in that game. In the end, I rooted for an upset later in the season, and it happened.
Give 'em hell!

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:13 pm

I expect an epic game week with the holes . Look alike thread off the charts and a game thread like no other I can’t wait!

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:09 pm

UNC is 2-0. They are so close to being
0-2. Let’s see what happens...

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:34 pm

appfanz wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:09 pm
UNC is 2-0. They are so close to being
0-2. Let’s see what happens...
Bssed on the first 10 minutes, they are gonna be 2-1 when they play us.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:48 pm

Their players can forget about a ranking. Wake wins. Back to reality.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:29 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:23 pm

I couldn't agree more with you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”