Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Afraid another 40 year tradition is gone

asu66
School: Appalachian State

Re: Afraid another 40 year tradition is gone

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:27 am

[quote=ASU2012 post_id=213883 time=1568075064 user_id=855]
The band played it week 1 vs. ETSU, but I only heard it once.
[/quote]

✔ My wife and I also heard it once during the ETSU Bucs game; but nada during the Charlotte game. The band sits under and to the left our club seats. Almost impossible to miss anything they play from that location. Bring back Bugler's Dream (Olympic Fanfare)!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... ction=view
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:08 am

Not sure why we ever stopped playing. It was played just about every kickoff while Dr. Tobias (former band director) was at App. Maybe around '16 or '17?

Awesome to hear they're bringing it back. The old timers love it, the students (I think) love it & I know the players love it.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:08 am

Do hope they band gets to be in the new endzone seating somehow, seems the only way everyone would hear them. 206 first game, barely a note.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:45 am

biggie wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:08 am
Do hope they band gets to be in the new endzone seating somehow, seems the only way everyone would hear them. 206 first game, barely a note.
I don't think there's any way that happens, unless they're seated below the club/loge seats. Too much potential money in the new building to "give up".
Give 'em hell!

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:52 am

Of course, if we eventually pull the hill in closer to the endzone, re-grade, and put in some concrete risers right behind the the goalpost and sloping up the endzone...then the band would have a great spot to project from. Liberty did this a couple of seasons back behind their one hill endzone. They left the majority of the hill grassed for overflow crowds and families and poured concrete rows for the band to stand and set-up instruments. It seems to work really well for them.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:57 am

HkyMtneer wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:52 am
Of course, if we eventually pull the hill in closer to the endzone, re-grade, and put in some concrete risers right behind the the goalpost and sloping up the endzone...then the band would have a great spot to project from. Liberty did this a couple of seasons back behind their one hill endzone. They left the majority of the hill grassed for overflow crowds and families and poured concrete rows for the band to stand and set-up instruments. It seems to work really well for them.
I'm in 204. I heard UNCC's Band, never heard ours. I'd pay for a load of dirt to move that hill in next year.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:10 am

How hard would it be to mic them up so they play over the new scoreboard? Seeing you can hear the commentators fairly well I don't think that would be that difficult.

An active band is one of the things that separates the NCAA from the NFL and gives it that collegiate flair. I'm not expecting Ohio State or Florida A&M, but it sure beats the canned hip hop and pop stuff you can hear at any NFL or MLB game.

I mean my experience with college games is fairly limited outside of App games. How is our DJ/Band music ratio compare to other schools?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:14 am

Every freaking play and its become annoying. I want the bell back

PoplarHillApp

Unread post by PoplarHillApp » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:29 am

As a former Marching Mountaineer, it's sad to see the band play less and less of a role in the gameday experience. I certainly agree with hotrod2001 about having an active band being one of the things that sets the NCAA experience apart from the NFL.

My experiences have shown that collegiate bands in general are playing less and less during the games, and being replaced by prerecorded music. Maybe it's just the times we are in now, and that's the trend whether we like it or not.

What's the point in having a band if they aren't going to allowed to play and be fully involved in the gameday experience?

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:49 am

In 206 we can't hear the band at all.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:56 am

I wonder how much different the sound within the stadium is now that Owens is gone? I seem to recall that each time we've put in a new scoreboard and speakers, there has been "calibration" of the speakers that had to take place. Perhaps when the new building is in, it will trap the band and fan noise even better than previously (as the new building will be taller than Owens).
Give 'em hell!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:00 am

Traditions are a big part of college football , this is our unique tradition.And of course tie the band into the sound system.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:25 am

I remember the years of the BOD and the leadership of Dr. Joe Phelps. There have been other good leaders but Dr. Joe was the Director of Bands (I think that was his title) and he started the Bugler's Dream during KO's. Also...any true Mountaineer will always get tingles and goose bumps when "The Tennessee Waltz" is played, especially the last home game when the seniors play.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:26 am

I do think owens being gone does impact the acoustics of the stadium. The band knows this and has been playing Yikas toward the crowd when it can.
Again, former Marching Mountaineer here. I've spoken to Dr. Gardner about the Buglers and some other things. Things are in the works, it's a new Head Football Coach and a new Band Director in the same year, so I think they're trying to understand the traditions and make some positive change, at least on the band side for sure.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:45 am

GregPercussion wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:26 am
I do think owens being gone does impact the acoustics of the stadium. The band knows this and has been playing Yikas toward the crowd when it can.
Again, former Marching Mountaineer here. I've spoken to Dr. Gardner about the Buglers and some other things. Things are in the works, it's a new Head Football Coach and a new Band Director in the same year, so I think they're trying to understand the traditions and make some positive change, at least on the band side for sure.
There should be a book, or at least a pamphlet at this point for both the football team and band regarding Mountaineer Traditions and what is expected to take place on game day in terms of gameday experience.

The football team has been around for 91 years, the band 86. There should be no "figuring things out" at this point, but just building upon an already established foundation.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:55 am

hotrod2001 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:45 am
GregPercussion wrote:
There should be a book, or at least a pamphlet at this point for both the football team and band regarding Mountaineer Traditions and what is expected to take place on game day in terms of gameday experience.

The football team has been around for 91 years, the band 86. There should be no "figuring things out" at this point, but just building upon an already established foundation.
I love it!
Sounds like a great idea for a willing volunteer to put together...

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:01 am

GregPercussion wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:55 am
hotrod2001 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:45 am
GregPercussion wrote:

I love it!
Sounds like a great idea for a willing volunteer to put together...
Hey, I'm a graphic designer by trade....I'd be happy to design something if someone out there can produce the content.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:37 am

I will say I thought the BOD was the best it's been in years Saturday.

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:47 am

hotrod2001 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:01 am
Hey, I'm a graphic designer by trade....I'd be happy to design something if someone out there can produce the content.
I love this idea and it's so nice of you to volunteer your time like that. I have been trying to get our traditions solidified on Twitter, so here's a few I gathered:

1) Bugler's dream played before each App kickoff-fans point with each rhythmic beat holding fingers toward the targeted endzone while making noise, ascending in volume till the kick is off. Began for kicker Bjorn Nittmo and has been a tradition for many, many decades.
2) Hell's bells played each time the visiting offense has a 3rd down (and 4th down when applicable). Fans hold 3 fingers in the air and make as much noise as possible
3) Mountaineer walk-team, coaches, and band walk to the stadium while fans line up and cheer them on
4) Band marches in playing "Give Em Hell" and doing chants
5) Fans hold 4 fingers up when 3rd qtr ends. At one point, I believe the band also played the Star Wars song or some specific song every time.
6) App State chant before kick off and varying times during the game. Some kind of crowd noise was always happening during big plays or big reviews during our glorious Championship days. Chants of ASU after a turnover, after a big hit, etc. were also fantastic memories.
7) I'm a big fan of the "Who's house" chant, but I always mainly just tried to get that going against GSU because I can't stand them... along with the rest of Appnation.
8) Tennessee Waltz played after each home game
9) "Celebration" played after every home win
10) I actually like the idea of Mountain Music being played the same time each game. Perhaps after the 4th down band song? Always between 3rd and 4th qtr so everyone in stadium would know what's happening. (Same as kickoffs etc. Even people in concourse know what's happening when they hear these "triggers")
11) Announcing "That's another Mountaineer...First down" where the crowd joins in the end. This past week, the announcer was off on this terribly.
12) Announcement of "Welcome to the Rock" in some fashion (the Jerry Moore intro is straight $$$) immediately before the team enters and fireworks are set off to a crowd eruption of cheers.
13) (Edit) Wasn't the BOD playing "Going to Carolina" at some point and the crowd sang along?
14) Everyone, please list things I'm missing!!! I became an App fan in '05 when I started at App, so there's decades I'm missing, but want to keep having that "Home game" feel that I've honestly been missing in the past few games.

Honestly a lot of this is getting the band much, much more involved. So much of tradition includes a very active BOD. Can we start some sort of grass roots initiative to make sure Doug Gillin takes this seriously and continues longstanding traditions that have begun to fade in recent years? He said Bugler's would be played for every remaining game, he didn't say every AppSt kick. I think he probably still means to mix it up with this Hard in the Paint crap.

Our students, like every other student at every other schools with traditions, will enjoy the tradition; I'm tired of hearing how we're doing this so they'll show up and have fun. How on earth do students at Michigan, Alabama, Clemson, etc. have fun while celebrating those traditions if we're having to cater so much to the whimsical interests of students?

EDIT:
Adding the following
15) Yosef firing gun after touchdowns
16) Tweetsie whistle after touchdowns
17) A LOT more of the fight song. If not the full thing, just the few notes that can be played (heard at basketball games a lot and football games during 2000's)
18) N-O-T-H-I-N-G chant after a win
19) "Today I give my all for Appalachian State" sign touched before games
20) Touchdown Santa (black and gold plastic "yard" Santas) present at late season, cold games and Championship/bowl games
Last edited by StorminASU on Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:01 pm

I think we should unofficially/subtly encourage students to make noise makers in the stadium. I used to put pennies in water bottles in the stadium and use those to make extra noise. Anything that can make more noise in key situations is good. Doing this allows for one hand to hold up 3 (or 4) fingers and still yell and have a free hand making noise.
Give 'em hell!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”