Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Mack Brown Presser

ericsaid
School: Appalachian State

Mack Brown Presser

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:22 pm

I really like this guy a lot. Never heard him speak much but I'd go listen to his speaking engagements and read a book of his, if he had one. Really likes Boone, really feels strongly for App State despite his short tenure, seems to have followed the program closely over the years and is friends with Jerry Moore. Overall nothing but complimentary and doesn't seem to be too engaged in coach speak here.

Mack seems to give credence to what many here believe is a severely limited playbook. He says that he expects App to pull out most everything and show things they haven't shown to this point. Seems like he watched the film and may have noticed something. Perhaps Roof was keeping the defense basic against Charlotte as part of the plan. The coaches may have thought they could remain base and still win the game so they didn't pull much out of the play book.

Also addresses the Eric Church situation. His take on it makes me believe Eric Church questioning him on why he left UNC may have opened him up to the possibility of returning to coaching at UNC should the opportunity present itself; call it planting a seed.

Overall, as much as I like to see UNC lose, it seems like Brown is the type of person that can make the program consistent and respected as a National Brand in football. Not sure if that impacts App State football in any way considering there isn't a ton of crossover for recruiting. But solid North Carolina football, as a state, could help in recruiting efforts for all NC schools.

WRAL - Mack Brown Press Conference

Mjohn1988

Re: Mack Brown Presser

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:38 pm

Posted this on another thread as well. Sounds like we could have approached Mack about returning to App. Talk glowingly about App and living in the Boone area. I’m not saying we should have but I think he would have at least listened. I’m sure he doesn’t need all the money he’s getting at UNC.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:19 pm

For what its worth, I was at the UNC/Wake game Friday night and it looked to me like Wake was running a similar 3-4 hybrid (albeit more successfully than we have run it) with some level of effectiveness against the Heels.

Another positive note with Sutton coming back... Sage Surratt torched their secondary (169 yards and TD I think). Sage is 6'-3" 220lbs and Corey is 6-'3" 210, so... hopefully he can go off and make up for lost time!

Can't Wait to get down there and be a part of this game. UNC fans are making it out like we think they're "Goliath". I'd love to smack them in the mouth on the field and run out of there with the "W"!

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Classy guy with nice comments. I still want to smash them.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:36 pm

NeersBy90 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:19 pm
For what its worth, I was at the UNC/Wake game Friday night and it looked to me like Wake was running a similar 3-4 hybrid (albeit more successfully than we have run it) with some level of effectiveness against the Heels.

Another positive note with Sutton coming back... Sage Surratt torched their secondary (169 yards and TD I think). Sage is 6'-3" 220lbs and Corey is 6-'3" 210, so... hopefully he can go off and make up for lost time!

Can't Wait to get down there and be a part of this game. UNC fans are making it out like we think they're "Goliath". I'd love to smack them in the mouth on the field and run out of there with the "W"!
In the grand scheme of the perception of schools athletics in the state of NC, they are goliath. Going out and beating them would go a long way toward earning legitimacy in state as a FBS program on the same level of ECU, which is still largely considered to be ahead of App, despite their lack of success recently.

Not sure Sutton's size matters so much as the reads that Thomas makes and the game plan from Drink.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:39 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:38 pm
Posted this on another thread as well. Sounds like we could have approached Mack about returning to App. Talk glowingly about App and living in the Boone area. I’m not saying we should have but I think he would have at least listened. I’m sure he doesn’t need all the money he’s getting at UNC.
With the pull he would've had with assistants he most assuredly could've maintained the course with the program and brought in some additional recruiting ability. Wonder if Gillin reached out to him at all?

Going with Drink seems to be a good move though. Love his offense but I wish he wouldn't have tinkered with the defense. Bring someone in or elevate someone from the previous staff who had familiarity with the scheme as it was being run before. You don't just go making changes to an elite defensive unit because "its your team". Sure it is your team in a sense, but a once proud unit is having issues we haven't seen since ULM and UMass. I believe those games were the result of Devan Stringer being injured.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:44 pm

Apptrain wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:34 pm
Classy guy with nice comments. I still want to smash them.
Of course, Mack has an App connection. It rubs off and stays with you.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:03 pm

He owned a house in Linville Golf Club in the early 2000's, unsure if he still has it.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:14 pm

Mack took the UNC job before Satt left or possibly was even a candidate at UL. Remember all the speculation about Satt to UNC, followed by the sigh of relief that we thought we'd dodged the biggest bullet for that year?

Not that I think he'd have seriously considered taking the App job over UNC if it had been head to head. But it never was.

414BlowingRockRoad

Unread post by 414BlowingRockRoad » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:19 pm

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:47 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:03 pm
He owned a house in Linville Golf Club in the early 2000's, unsure if he still has it.
I worked on the cart staff at Elk River back in the early 90's. The ACC Football coaches played there pre-season as part of a media event. Mack was engaging, down to earth and genuinely a nice guy after the round.
I'm sure he'll be gracious in defeat. :D

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:08 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
It burned to the ground a few years ago
Last edited by appvette on Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:09 pm

NeersBy90 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:19 pm
UNC fans are making it out like we think they're "Goliath". I'd love to smack them in the mouth on the field and run out of there with the "W"!
Agreed, not this 1 or 2 point victory, I mean 14 plus.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:11 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:47 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
I worked on the cart staff at Elk River back in the early 90's. The ACC Football coaches played there pre-season as part of a media event. Mack was engaging, down to earth and genuinely a nice guy after the round.
I'm sure he'll be gracious in defeat. :D
Grumbling to himself that he wishes the App State position was open the same year UNC was looking...

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:11 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:39 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:38 pm
With the pull he would've had with assistants he most assuredly could've maintained the course with the program and brought in some additional recruiting ability. Wonder if Gillin reached out to him at all?

Going with Drink seems to be a good move though. Love his offense but I wish he wouldn't have tinkered with the defense. Bring someone in or elevate someone from the previous staff who had familiarity with the scheme as it was being run before. You don't just go making changes to an elite defensive unit because "its your team". Sure it is your team in a sense, but a once proud unit is having issues we haven't seen since ULM and UMass. I believe those games were the result of Devan Stringer being injured.
So losing one player made our defense look terrible, but losing two DBs, Stout, Flory, and the coaches should be "plug and play"?

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:28 pm

“When you start looking at App State, look at what their seniors accomplished the last few years, it's the best in our state," UNC head coach Mack Brown told reporters on Monday. "App State’s good enough they could be in the ACC. They're that talented."

Clt says :cry:

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:55 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:28 pm
“When you start looking at App State, look at what their seniors accomplished the last few years, it's the best in our state," UNC head coach Mack Brown told reporters on Monday. "App State’s good enough they could be in the ACC. They're that talented."

That was Mack Brown talking directly to his players. And maybe just a little to our guys. That was the start of his per game speech. Flattering our guys and making his guys mad.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:19 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:22 pm
. Not sure if that impacts App State football in any way considering there isn't a ton of crossover for recruiting.
Really? They're in our footprint, ours I tell ya, and we'll make it more ours this Saturday.
Last edited by GreatAppSt on Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:25 pm

414BlowingRockRoad wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:19 pm
If UNC wins I hope their sales tank for a month.

ApexASU

Unread post by ApexASU » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:34 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:55 pm
MAD Doctor wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:28 pm

That was Mack Brown talking directly to his players. And maybe just a little to our guys. That was the start of his per game speech. Flattering our guys and making his guys mad.
Or, maybe, he was laying the ground work in explaining a week 4 loss! :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”