Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Split loyalties

appstatealum
School: Appalachian State

Split loyalties

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:42 am

I was taking my kids to school this morning and was behind a pick up truck with an Appalachian State Alumni license plate, an Appalachian Alumni sticker in the back window.... And a "#1 UNC Fan" sticker in the window. My 9yr old son was shaking his head in the back seat and said "that guy is going to have issues this weekend". SMH
The Appalachian State

AppinVA

Re: Split loyalties

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:45 am

No he’s not. He can GTFO. We don’t need him.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:50 am

I guess I'm message board illiterate .... I can never get images to post
Last edited by appstatealum on Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
The Appalachian State

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:58 am

A lot of people dont realize the dynamic between unc and app regarding how poorly app is treated by the system at the hands of chapel hill

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:18 am

I cannot wrap my head around the idea that someone can attend App and then cheer for another school.

Like I can maybe get it if you went to graduate school somewhere else, but damn...it’s App State or death for me, Patrick Henry style.
YNWA

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:27 am

In my family I am the only App grad in a sea of power blue.....and they are not speaking to me this week. That's ok. It just makes my black and gold blood run deeper.

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:29 am

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:18 am
I cannot wrap my head around the idea that someone can attend App and then cheer for another school.

Like I can maybe get it if you went to graduate school somewhere else, but damn...it’s App State or death for me, Patrick Henry style.
I went to App for undergrad and then Miami for grad school. When they played I was all black and gold. My wife on the other hand loved living in Miami and had an App shirt and Miami earrings.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:44 am

I was raised a Duke basketball fan, and sure I like some other schools football programs but App State is the only school I rep on my truck. Got a white A on one side of the back window, black A on the other side, both my front and back plates have Appalachian State frames. It's easy for my wife to shop for me. I always tell her she doesn't have to get me anything with hopes I get some App State gifts.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:45 am

It has long been my observation that one's loyalties remain with the undergraduate institution. Grad school is a good connection, but it is not as strong as loyalty to one's undergrad school.

And, the earlier poster's comment about UNC's Wal-Mart fans is spot on.

App don't got no stinkin' Wal-Mart fans.

Yet.

Overcashed

Unread post by Overcashed » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:01 am

Was Eric Church the driver of that truck?

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:12 am

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:17 am

Every school in North Carolina has Uncle Toms. I know NC State grads who root for UNC.

It’s more frustrating for us, and it comes up re: App more than other NC schools because we’re BROKE in proportion to the amount of success we have in athletics, most specifically because we have the LOWEST per-student allotment of money of all 17 UNC campuses and the TAR HEELS who sit on that board are the reason for that disparity.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:22 am

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:17 am
Every school in North Carolina has Uncle Toms. I know NC State grads who root for UNC.

It’s more frustrating for us, and it comes up re: App more than other NC schools because we’re BROKE in proportion to the amount of success we have in athletics, most specifically because we have the LOWEST per-student allotment of money of all 17 UNC campuses and the TAR HEELS who sit on that board are the reason for that disparity.
How can we bring change to this? I just looked at the funding per student and it's not even close. Is this "good-ole-boy ism?" I wish more people understood this - the tar heels, for whatever reason, are trying to choke out App State by depriving it of crucial funding. What if we were on a level playing field (or even a slightly more level one)? Our university has made leaps and bounds with this horrible funding, just imagine what we could do with slightly more money. Are they scared of us, or do they just simply not care about us?

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:30 am

They'll hate us about 6:45 pm this Saturday.

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:31 am

^^^How can we bring change to this?^^^

JUST WIN BABY!!!

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:47 am

I've got both a UNC Alumni and Yosef sticker on my car and an App license plate. I've not heard any Carolina alumni complaining that I'm pulling for App, nor have I heard any App fans complaining that a non-alum is supporting App.

Part of growing a brand means bringing in "external" fans. Carolina has, of course, done that tremendously. Rather than whine about how well Carolina has built its brand since the school was founded in 1789, I prefer to work diligently to help grow the App brand beyond its alumni base. Part of my desire to see the App brand grow is directly related to the dynamic that has, for years, favored Chapel Hill and Raleigh over Appalachian and the other system campuses in the granting of degree programs and dollars.

In my opinion, the argument is much stronger when we focus on everything App has to offer rather than playing the "baby brother" card. Our strength is what landed us the funds for what is now Levine Hall. Our strength is the only thing that will change the minds of those making UNC system decisions.

So, let folks go where they want and cheer for whom they want. At the end of the day, we'll grow more passionate fans for both Appalachian State and our athletics by focusing on how well we do what we do. The measure of "how well we do what we do" will be determined, in part, by factors over which we have no control as individuals (e.g. - state budget) and, in part, by things over which we do have individual control (e.g. - donations to fund scholarships, both academic and athletic). If you truly love App, be sure you're doing what you can to support App financially, whether that's $1 a month or $1,000 a month. Then go out and find a former classmate to give $1 a month or more and have them do the same. Make them hear you - first in Boone, then in Chapel Hill and Raleigh.

Go App!
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:15 am

Like many of us, I grew up watching the Heels and pulling for them because they were the team I saw on TV and they had my home state on their jerseys. I have fond memories of watching the games with my parents and friends. But, when it was my turn to attend my university, it all ended right there. Some of my relatives STILL ask me “Did you see the Carolina game last night?” and I politely tell them “No.” I guess I could quote Roy Williams:

https://youtu.be/pymcjOpiII8

I Corinthians 13:11 -When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish (light blue) things.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:47 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:44 am
I was raised a Duke basketball fan, and sure I like some other schools football programs but App State is the only school I rep on my truck. Got a white A on one side of the back window, black A on the other side, both my front and back plates have Appalachian State frames. It's easy for my wife to shop for me. I always tell her she doesn't have to get me anything with hopes I get some App State gifts.
Everybody in my family knows if they want to get me a gift, make it something with App on it. Even my work family knows about my fanaticism. They bought a Block A cake for my birthday at the office.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:56 am

ukappfan wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:29 am
ah59396 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:18 am

I went to App for undergrad and then Miami for grad school. When they played I was all black and gold. My wife on the other hand loved living in Miami and had an App shirt and Miami earrings.
Same, went to App for undergrad and NC State for grad school. If we ever play each other (which fingers crossed actually happens sometime in the future), I will absolutely be black and gold.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:10 pm

Appster99 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:47 am
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:44 am
Everybody in my family knows if they want to get me a gift, make it something with App on it. Even my work family knows about my fanaticism. They bought a Block A cake for my birthday at the office.
Same here. My boss got me an App hat and a Yosef Totem.
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”