Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Split loyalties

CoachRob
School: Appalachian State

Re: Split loyalties

Unread post by CoachRob » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:28 pm

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:47 am
I've got both a UNC Alumni and Yosef sticker on my car and an App license plate. I've not heard any Carolina alumni complaining that I'm pulling for App, nor have I heard any App fans complaining that a non-alum is supporting App.

Part of growing a brand means bringing in "external" fans. Carolina has, of course, done that tremendously. Rather than whine about how well Carolina has built its brand since the school was founded in 1789, I prefer to work diligently to help grow the App brand beyond its alumni base. Part of my desire to see the App brand grow is directly related to the dynamic that has, for years, favored Chapel Hill and Raleigh over Appalachian and the other system campuses in the granting of degree programs and dollars.

In my opinion, the argument is much stronger when we focus on everything App has to offer rather than playing the "baby brother" card. Our strength is what landed us the funds for what is now Levine Hall. Our strength is the only thing that will change the minds of those making UNC system decisions.

So, let folks go where they want and cheer for whom they want. At the end of the day, we'll grow more passionate fans for both Appalachian State and our athletics by focusing on how well we do what we do. The measure of "how well we do what we do" will be determined, in part, by factors over which we have no control as individuals (e.g. - state budget) and, in part, by things over which we do have individual control (e.g. - donations to fund scholarships, both academic and athletic). If you truly love App, be sure you're doing what you can to support App financially, whether that's $1 a month or $1,000 a month. Then go out and find a former classmate to give $1 a month or more and have them do the same. Make them hear you - first in Boone, then in Chapel Hill and Raleigh.

Go App!
Come on now, you know that making sense while using reason & thought shouldn't be allowed in this thread ...

I'm pretty sure the Carolina's, Clemson's, Bama's, Michigan's, and Texas' of the world don't complain about fans who may or may not have attended, Walmart fans, or have dual allegiances. As long as they buy tickets, buy apparel, or give to the university, I'm sure they are fine with who ever they are. Building the brand and bringing in whoever as fans should be goal #1, don't care where they went to school, where they bought their shirt from, or who else they pull for in other sports. Never going to say "Don't need them", thats stupid. If they are spending money for App, heck YES we need them.
At the end of the day, the best way to build that brand, just win baby! Go Apps!

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:25 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:28 pm
DaphneUrquhart wrote:
I've got both a UNC Alumni and Yosef sticker on my car and an App license plate. I've not heard any Carolina alumni complaining that I'm pulling for App, nor have I heard any App fans complaining that a non-alum is supporting App.

Part of growing a brand means bringing in "external" fans. Carolina has, of course, done that tremendously. Rather than whine about how well Carolina has built its brand since the school was founded in 1789, I prefer to work diligently to help grow the App brand beyond its alumni base. Part of my desire to see the App brand grow is directly related to the dynamic that has, for years, favored Chapel Hill and Raleigh over Appalachian and the other system campuses in the granting of degree programs and dollars.

In my opinion, the argument is much stronger when we focus on everything App has to offer rather than playing the "baby brother" card. Our strength is what landed us the funds for what is now Levine Hall. Our strength is the only thing that will change the minds of those making UNC system decisions.

So, let folks go where they want and cheer for whom they want. At the end of the day, we'll grow more passionate fans for both Appalachian State and our athletics by focusing on how well we do what we do. The measure of "how well we do what we do" will be determined, in part, by factors over which we have no control as individuals (e.g. - state budget) and, in part, by things over which we do have individual control (e.g. - donations to fund scholarships, both academic and athletic). If you truly love App, be sure you're doing what you can to support App financially, whether that's $1 a month or $1,000 a month. Then go out and find a former classmate to give $1 a month or more and have them do the same. Make them hear you - first in Boone, then in Chapel Hill and Raleigh.

Go App!
Come on now, you know that making sense while using reason & thought shouldn't be allowed in this thread ...

I'm pretty sure the Carolina's, Clemson's, Bama's, Michigan's, and Texas' of the world don't complain about fans who may or may not have attended, Walmart fans, or have dual allegiances. As long as they buy tickets, buy apparel, or give to the university, I'm sure they are fine with who ever they are. Building the brand and bringing in whoever as fans should be goal #1, don't care where they went to school, where they bought their shirt from, or who else they pull for in other sports. Never going to say "Don't need them", thats stupid. If they are spending money for App, heck YES we need them.
At the end of the day, the best way to build that brand, just win baby! Go Apps!
We saw this type of growth in our fan base after Michigan and the 3 national championships. It has regressed some from that time. As far as our athletics go, winning with class is the key. We have to earn the casual fan. That starts with a W on Saturday. We must win P5 games and our in state games. Unfortunately the casual fan doesn’t care about Sunbelt titles or RL Carrier bowl wins. Our state is loaded with ABC fans who would love to cheer for the Mountaineers. We just have to give them something to cheer about. Don’t get me wrong, I have great respect for what our coaches and players have done but the casual fan needs us to beat the teams they know.

'75App

Unread post by '75App » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:35 pm

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:16 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:25 pm
CoachRob wrote:
DaphneUrquhart wrote:

Go App!

We saw this type of growth in our fan base after Michigan and the 3 national championships. It has regressed some from that time. As far as our athletics go, winning with class is the key. We have to earn the casual fan. That starts with a W on Saturday. We must win P5 games and our in state games. Unfortunately the casual fan doesn’t care about Sunbelt titles or RL Carrier bowl wins. Our state is loaded with ABC fans who would love to cheer for the Mountaineers. We just have to give them something to cheer about. Don’t get me wrong, I have great respect for what our coaches and players have done but the casual fan needs us to beat the teams they know.
Agree 100%

I'll also add that it isn't best to alienate any casual fans or alumni that may choose to have a dual allegiance to both, or any other school for that matter. Especially when the alienation comes from one's own personal selfishness.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:00 pm

This goes back to what I said a few weeks ago. There are people who hold a degree from Appalachian State, and then there are Mountaineers. Be a Mountaineer.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:23 pm

CoachRob wrote:
DaphneUrquhart wrote:

Go App!

So you think the biggest colleges with the most walmart fans don't care most of their fan base is the wal-mart variety? Provocative thought. Of course we would want the same.

I will never look down on someone supporting their alma mater (Daphne), but we need more than just ourselves financially supporting. We need a Sea change in the state funding and UNC/BOG. That is where there is a huge discrepancy.

I know Will Rob you will continue to support UNC no matter how damaging it is to App, so what i'm about to say will fall on deaf ears, but if someday you actually decide to put App first you will hear and understand: In order for App to grow and get an equitable share of State funding, you need to stop supporting UNC basketball. Athletics is one area that UNC uses in which to continue their dominant position in the UNC BOG and skew the funding away from App. I'm sure you've seen the graphic where ASU gets the LOWEST per student funding in the UNC system. You are playing right into UNCs hands by supporting their basketball team (and by proxy their University and their administrative actions, which i've seen you do several times on this site and CSNBBS) This thinking permeates all areas in our state and is a driving force in why we are in the position we are.

Daphne i hope you don't take this personally, all of us are very appreciative of your support, but the truth is we are at cross purposes with UNC. In a state with concrete and finite resources, if we are to grow our per student funding that is going to come from somewhere and at the detriment of some other institution, and UNC is the fat cow that needs butchering.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:43 pm

Daphne i hope you don't take this personally, all of us are very appreciative of your support, but the erred is we are at cross purposes with UNC. In a state with concrete and finite resources, if we are to grow our per student funding that is going to come from somewhere and at the detriment of some other institution, and UNC is the fat cow that needs butchering.
I don't take it personally at all. Chapel Hill has had a lock on way too many degrees for way too long to name one issue. Those degrees mean tuition dollars, competitive students, and so much more. You should have heard the cheering in this house when App State was awarded an MSW. I'm a Chapel Hill alumna. I loved my time in Chapel Hill. I am not snobby enough to belong there now. There's a reason that the honorary alumna award from Appalachian State is in the center of my wall at the office.

See you in the flatlands. Go App!
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:28 pm

DaphneUrquhart wrote:

Go App!
This is the most grown-up post on this subject I've ever seen. Well done.

Like many subjects, I find people are way more normal about this in real life than they are on message boards.

I don't think people realize what a self-own it is to make fun of schools they don't like for "Walmart fans." There's a reason, say, NC State doesn't have bandwagon fans. You don't fill a bandwagon by being mediocre. I would LOVE for App to have a bunch of fans who didn't go to school there. Would mean we're doing something right.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:09 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:23 pm
CoachRob wrote:
DaphneUrquhart wrote:

Go App!

So you think the biggest colleges with the most walmart fans don't care most of their fan base is the wal-mart variety? Provocative thought. Of course we would want the same.

I will never look down on someone supporting their alma mater (Daphne), but we need more than just ourselves financially supporting. We need a Sea change in the state funding and UNC/BOG. That is where there is a huge discrepancy.

I know Will Rob you will continue to support UNC no matter how damaging it is to App, so what i'm about to say will fall on deaf ears, but if someday you actually decide to put App first you will hear and understand: In order for App to grow and get an equitable share of State funding, you need to stop supporting UNC basketball. Athletics is one area that UNC uses in which to continue their dominant position in the UNC BOG and skew the funding away from App. I'm sure you've seen the graphic where ASU gets the LOWEST per student funding in the UNC system. You are playing right into UNCs hands by supporting their basketball team (and by proxy their University and their administrative actions, which i've seen you do several times on this site and CSNBBS) This thinking permeates all areas in our state and is a driving force in why we are in the position we are.

Daphne i hope you don't take this personally, all of us are very appreciative of your support, but the truth is we are at cross purposes with UNC. In a state with concrete and finite resources, if we are to grow our per student funding that is going to come from somewhere and at the detriment of some other institution, and UNC is the fat cow that needs butchering.
I don't totally disagree with you. However; and not that it really matters in the whole scheme of things but for correction on your comment; I financially support App through both the Yosef club and with football season tickets. I haven't given 1 dime to UNC basketball, football or any other sport when it comes to tickets, funding or anything really. So to say I don't put App 1st just because I don't buy the "UNC wants to destroy App by keeping away funds" is very false. You'll find me wearing my Black & Gold Saturday in Keenan if you're there.

I do find it discouragement that App has some of the lowest funding in the State and would love to find out the true reasoning App receives less. And not just less than UNC, but Wilmington, Greensboro, Charlotte and others. But whether there are App fans who turn on their TVs to watch ACC basketball or not isn't going to change this at all. I just find it a stretch to believe that App receives the least amount of funding solely because "UNC is trying it's best to keep App down and prevent it from becoming a football power". A stretch unless you are just really wanting to find a justifiable reason for your already developed hate.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:55 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:09 pm
I don't totally disagree with you. However; and not that it really matters in the whole scheme of things but for correction on your comment; I financially support App through both the Yosef club and with football season tickets. I haven't given 1 dime to UNC basketball, football or any other sport when it comes to tickets, funding or anything really. So to say I don't put App 1st just because I don't buy the "UNC wants to destroy App by keeping away funds" is very false. You'll find me wearing my Black & Gold Saturday in Keenan if you're there.

I do find it discouragement that App has some of the lowest funding in the State and would love to find out the true reasoning App receives less. And not just less than UNC, but Wilmington, Greensboro, Charlotte and others. But whether there are App fans who turn on their TVs to watch ACC basketball or not isn't going to change this at all. I just find it a stretch to believe that App receives the least amount of funding solely because "UNC is trying it's best to keep App down and prevent it from becoming a football power". A stretch unless you are just really wanting to find a justifiable reason for your already developed hate.
We do not have “some” of the lowest funding per student in the UNC System. We have the LOWEST and have for many years. What I have recently learned is that it stems from a decades old “pooling” that occurred within the UNC System/Legislature whereby all state universities were split into 3 Tiers. We fell into the lowest tier and are associated with the likes of WCU & Pembroke.

State, CH, ECU, Science & Math are the top tier.

Our leaders are fighting and have been fighting for over 20 years to have the tiers reassessed so that at a minimum we will be on par with the unc-G & UNCW.

Just $2k more per student is an additional $40M in annual funding for App and puts us on “equal” footing annually with G and dub on a per student basis.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:29 am

AppDawg wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:55 pm
CoachRob wrote:

We do not have “some” of the lowest funding per student in the UNC System. We have the LOWEST and have for many years. What I have recently learned is that it stems from a decades old “pooling” that occurred within the UNC System/Legislature whereby all state universities were split into 3 Tiers. We fell into the lowest tier and are associated with the likes of WCU & Pembroke.

Our leaders are fighting and have been fighting for over 20 years to have the tiers reassessed so that at a minimum we will be on par with the unc-G & UNCW.

Just $2k more per student is an additional $40M in annual funding for App and puts us on “equal” footing annually with G and dub on a per student basis.
This string has been very enlightening. I was completely unaware how disadvantaged our University is compared to in-state peer institutions with regard to state funding. I don't think winning football games will change anything in Raleigh unless fans gained also have connections with the Governor, House and Senate leaders. Let's talk turkey here; who do we start contacting in Raleigh to get this reassessment on the docket? I can promise you, in politics, the squeaky wheel does indeed get the grease. Or in our case, the money.

On another note, my father went to Carolina and before going to App I pulled for everything UNC. While there I pulled for UNC to win the National Championship in BB as I pulled for NC State to win the next year. As an App graduate, my blood runs Black and Gold and I want us to beat the pants off of anyone we play but particularly in-state schools. I can't wait for Saturday and fully expect our boys will be victorious and I hope it's by a WIDE margin. Regardless, on Sunday, I'll be wearing my App gear around town as usual. If it comes out the way I think, I'll just have a little bigger smile on my face.

YosefsMarchToTheSea

Unread post by YosefsMarchToTheSea » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:11 am

I was raised a Michigan fan by a two parents who are from Michigan and a mother who went there. After graduating from App I moved to Ann Arbor and got to go to the 2014 game, sporting my App Alumni shirt and Michigan hat.

Standing there, in a storied stadium, full of 100,000 fans pulling for their team...let me tell you...that hat came off so fast.

App State first, and no one else.

Screw UNC and anyone else playing the Mountaineers.

AppStateDDS

Unread post by AppStateDDS » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:25 am

Undergrad at App for me and grad school at UNC. Was raised a Heel fan. I'm wearing the Black and Gold proudly this weekend! Love to see Apps beat the Heels!

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:00 am

YosefsMarchToTheSea wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:11 am
I was raised a Michigan fan by a two parents who are from Michigan and a mother who went there. After graduating from App I moved to Ann Arbor and got to go to the 2014 game, sporting my App Alumni shirt and Michigan hat.

Standing there, in a storied stadium, full of 100,000 fans pulling for their team...let me tell you...that hat came off so fast.

Just so we're clear, you were raised a Michigan fan by Michigan fans and graduated in 2014, meaning you decided to go to App AFTER 2007.

I bet your folks just loved that.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:00 am

mikeyosef wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:29 am
AppDawg wrote:
CoachRob wrote:

This string has been very enlightening. I was completely unaware how disadvantaged our University is compared to in-state peer institutions with regard to state funding. I don't think winning football games will change anything in Raleigh unless fans gained also have connections with the Governor, House and Senate leaders. Let's talk turkey here; who do we start contacting in Raleigh to get this reassessment on the docket? I can promise you, in politics, the squeaky wheel does indeed get the grease. Or in our case, the money.

On another note, my father went to Carolina and before going to App I pulled for everything UNC. While there I pulled for UNC to win the National Championship in BB as I pulled for NC State to win the next year. As an App graduate, my blood runs Black and Gold and I want us to beat the pants off of anyone we play but particularly in-state schools. I can't wait for Saturday and fully expect our boys will be victorious and I hope it's by a WIDE margin. Regardless, on Sunday, I'll be wearing my App gear around town as usual. If it comes out the way I think, I'll just have a little bigger smile on my face.
Contact the unc board of Governors & state legislators (both democrat & republican).

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:05 am

mikeyosef wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:29 am
AppDawg wrote:
CoachRob wrote:

When were the tiers decided??? I can see where 40-50 years ago, App would be in that lower tier with Western and P. However, it is definitely time for an adjustment to give App more funding as we have out grown that tier and need to at least be on the same level as UNCG & W. Does sound like this is a political issue that can be addressed. Whether or not the blame goes to Chapel Hill is still up for debate. Either way, App needs this win Saturday in a big way for the football program and athletic department and hope they can pull it out.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:06 am

I understand that some people have split loyalties, and I appreciate nuance, but sports are just about the one vestige of our tribal roots that's fun and not particularly destructive. You can just pick a side and be as pure in your devotion as you're prepared to be.

I wasn't raised an App fan--I'm not from NC and didn't know much about App before it came time to explore colleges. But I loved my time at App and have deep Appalachian roots. I'd be proud to see one or both of my kids head up the mountain one day.

I have a graduate degree from the OTHER Carolina we play this year, but I don't feel one iota of conflict. When that day comes, there will be no garnet in sight. I'm a Mountaineer.

YosefsMarchToTheSea

Unread post by YosefsMarchToTheSea » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:16 am

appchicago wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:00 am
YosefsMarchToTheSea wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:11 am

Just so we're clear, you were raised a Michigan fan by Michigan fans and graduated in 2014, meaning you decided to go to App AFTER 2007.

I bet your folks just loved that.
Started in 09!

I worked at U of M for a few years too. Students/alumni/co-workers all loved my 34-32 poster!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:31 am

What is even more annoying is the quality of students choosing App (SAT Scores and grades) ranks very high in the state. App has been growing in that area since 2001. It’s like everyone in the state wants to ignore the quality of student body and alumni coming out of App.
I chose App over Charlotte, ECU, UNCW, and N.C. State. I had the grades and SAT score to get in to any N.C. school with ease (even UNC-CH, didn’t apply for $ reasons), but felt the “aura” of Appalachian the first day I visited. I had applied to the other schools per recommendation from an advisor, but App was my first and only visit.

I bleed Black and Gold and always will.
The Appalachian State

appleachian

Unread post by appleachian » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:49 am

I don’t think I’ve ever actually posted here, just read for years, but this brought me out of the woodwork. I’m a Mountaineer fan who never attended the school. My wife and I both graduated from ECU, she later started graduate school from App Online and upon a physical visit to App I fell in love with the place. My time in college was meh and though I’m happy to see success for ECU I’m just as connected to what happens in Boone. When App came to Greenville a few years ago I cheered for the Mountaineers. This year we joined the Yosef Club.

PS ECU is treated similarly by UNC. F*** Chapel Hill.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”