Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Split loyalties

BallantyneApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Split loyalties

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:17 am

CoachRob wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:09 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:23 pm
CoachRob wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:28 pm
DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:47 am
I've got both a UNC Alumni and Yosef sticker on my car and an App license plate. I've not heard any Carolina alumni complaining that I'm pulling for App, nor have I heard any App fans complaining that a non-alum is supporting App.

Part of growing a brand means bringing in "external" fans. Carolina has, of course, done that tremendously. Rather than whine about how well Carolina has built its brand since the school was founded in 1789, I prefer to work diligently to help grow the App brand beyond its alumni base. Part of my desire to see the App brand grow is directly related to the dynamic that has, for years, favored Chapel Hill and Raleigh over Appalachian and the other system campuses in the granting of degree programs and dollars.

In my opinion, the argument is much stronger when we focus on everything App has to offer rather than playing the "baby brother" card. Our strength is what landed us the funds for what is now Levine Hall. Our strength is the only thing that will change the minds of those making UNC system decisions.

So, let folks go where they want and cheer for whom they want. At the end of the day, we'll grow more passionate fans for both Appalachian State and our athletics by focusing on how well we do what we do. The measure of "how well we do what we do" will be determined, in part, by factors over which we have no control as individuals (e.g. - state budget) and, in part, by things over which we do have individual control (e.g. - donations to fund scholarships, both academic and athletic). If you truly love App, be sure you're doing what you can to support App financially, whether that's $1 a month or $1,000 a month. Then go out and find a former classmate to give $1 a month or more and have them do the same. Make them hear you - first in Boone, then in Chapel Hill and Raleigh.

Go App!
Come on now, you know that making sense while using reason & thought shouldn't be allowed in this thread ...

I'm pretty sure the Carolina's, Clemson's, Bama's, Michigan's, and Texas' of the world don't complain about fans who may or may not have attended, Walmart fans, or have dual allegiances. As long as they buy tickets, buy apparel, or give to the university, I'm sure they are fine with who ever they are. Building the brand and bringing in whoever as fans should be goal #1, don't care where they went to school, where they bought their shirt from, or who else they pull for in other sports. Never going to say "Don't need them", thats stupid. If they are spending money for App, heck YES we need them.
At the end of the day, the best way to build that brand, just win baby! Go Apps!
So you think the biggest colleges with the most walmart fans don't care most of their fan base is the wal-mart variety? Provocative thought. Of course we would want the same.

I will never look down on someone supporting their alma mater (Daphne), but we need more than just ourselves financially supporting. We need a Sea change in the state funding and UNC/BOG. That is where there is a huge discrepancy.

I know Will Rob you will continue to support UNC no matter how damaging it is to App, so what i'm about to say will fall on deaf ears, but if someday you actually decide to put App first you will hear and understand: In order for App to grow and get an equitable share of State funding, you need to stop supporting UNC basketball. Athletics is one area that UNC uses in which to continue their dominant position in the UNC BOG and skew the funding away from App. I'm sure you've seen the graphic where ASU gets the LOWEST per student funding in the UNC system. You are playing right into UNCs hands by supporting their basketball team (and by proxy their University and their administrative actions, which i've seen you do several times on this site and CSNBBS) This thinking permeates all areas in our state and is a driving force in why we are in the position we are.

Daphne i hope you don't take this personally, all of us are very appreciative of your support, but the truth is we are at cross purposes with UNC. In a state with concrete and finite resources, if we are to grow our per student funding that is going to come from somewhere and at the detriment of some other institution, and UNC is the fat cow that needs butchering.
I don't totally disagree with you. However; and not that it really matters in the whole scheme of things but for correction on your comment; I financially support App through both the Yosef club and with football season tickets. I haven't given 1 dime to UNC basketball, football or any other sport when it comes to tickets, funding or anything really. So to say I don't put App 1st just because I don't buy the "UNC wants to destroy App by keeping away funds" is very false. You'll find me wearing my Black & Gold Saturday in Keenan if you're there.

I do find it discouragement that App has some of the lowest funding in the State and would love to find out the true reasoning App receives less. And not just less than UNC, but Wilmington, Greensboro, Charlotte and others. But whether there are App fans who turn on their TVs to watch ACC basketball or not isn't going to change this at all. I just find it a stretch to believe that App receives the least amount of funding solely because "UNC is trying it's best to keep App down and prevent it from becoming a football power". A stretch unless you are just really wanting to find a justifiable reason for your already developed hate.
Thats great and thank you for your support. But some of us view App State as more than just a football team. If you think UNC doesn't use its dominant athletic position in order to maintain the status quo vis a vis funding, you're being willfully ignorant. Look how you are defending them, every time they break a rule, or more info is put out about our pitiful funding situation, the same cast of characters comes out of the woodwork to defend anything pale blue. Don't be simple minded, this is about more than athletics. Athletics is just one way that UNC is able maintain the status quo (which only works for UNC).

The "true reasoning" is simple. The UNC BOG (dominated by alumni from one particular institution) has decided how they are going to divvy up the finite resources they have, and App is the biggest loser. This is a zero sum game, anything that App can scratch and claw to get is going to come at the expense of another UNC institution.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:56 am

asu7 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:35 am
That’s sad Biggie ... I can drink salsa ... I could eat Mexican and Asian any day of the week.
I eat it for lunch whenever possible.

But I'm not in Boone, as much as I tried to live there App never called me back after submitting a resume over a decade ago, this ACC school did...

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:22 am

Looks like I’m going for Tex mex for lunch today. Having a craving for chips and queso.
The Appalachian State

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:56 am

appstatealum wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:50 am

I guess I'm message board illiterate .... I can never get images to post
I hate this kind of talk, If someone did not attend App, but is a fan of athletics and supports the program they are more than welcome. We need everyone we can get and appreciate anyone who supports App.

Reality is, all schools who compete at the highest levels of athletics have fans of all sorts; Alum, kids currently go or are now alums of the university, indoctrinated thru family upbringing, currently live or are from the area...this should be ok with anyone, more App fans the better.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:03 am

It’s tongue in cheek and good fodder for a message board. As has been noted here though, UNC has treated us like ****, so I can’t wait to stick it to them and their fans this weekend.
The Appalachian State

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:13 am

huskie3 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:08 pm
not only did Howell's dad matriculate to App--so did his mom...and his sister...and his brother. Mountaineers all--with a lone exception!

Thanks Chuck, I did not realize that. His dad goes by nickname "Duke". He was a state champion wrestler, do not know whether he wrestled at App. I believe he is also related to NC Hall of Fame coach Babe Howell.
According to one of the articles I read, his father wrestled at App and his mother played volleyball at App (think that's right).

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:20 am

APP93 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:56 am
appstatealum wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:50 am

I guess I'm message board illiterate .... I can never get images to post
I hate this kind of talk, If someone did not attend App, but is a fan of athletics and supports the program they are more than welcome. We need everyone we can get and appreciate anyone who supports App.

Reality is, all schools who compete at the highest levels of athletics have fans of all sorts; Alum, kids currently go or are now alums of the university, indoctrinated thru family upbringing, currently live or are from the area...this should be ok with anyone, more App fans the better.
I'm with you on that. I realize that most of the folks using the "Walmart Fan" reference are doing it somewhat jokingly but the fact is that we NEED that type of fan to start supporting App. I do find it amusing to hear conversations from "good old boys" wearing UNC or Duke shirts and hear them talking about how "we" did this or that (usually basketball season). I can't help but wonder when they were there and what they studied, knowing full well that they probably never set foot on campus. LOL It's all good though.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:54 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:17 am
CoachRob wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
CoachRob wrote:
DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:47 am
I've got both a UNC Alumni and Yosef sticker on my car and an App license plate. I've not heard any Carolina alumni complaining that I'm pulling for App, nor have I heard any App fans complaining that a non-alum is supporting App.

Part of growing a brand means bringing in "external" fans. Carolina has, of course, done that tremendously. Rather than whine about how well Carolina has built its brand since the school was founded in 1789, I prefer to work diligently to help grow the App brand beyond its alumni base. Part of my desire to see the App brand grow is directly related to the dynamic that has, for years, favored Chapel Hill and Raleigh over Appalachian and the other system campuses in the granting of degree programs and dollars.

In my opinion, the argument is much stronger when we focus on everything App has to offer rather than playing the "baby brother" card. Our strength is what landed us the funds for what is now Levine Hall. Our strength is the only thing that will change the minds of those making UNC system decisions.

So, let folks go where they want and cheer for whom they want. At the end of the day, we'll grow more passionate fans for both Appalachian State and our athletics by focusing on how well we do what we do. The measure of "how well we do what we do" will be determined, in part, by factors over which we have no control as individuals (e.g. - state budget) and, in part, by things over which we do have individual control (e.g. - donations to fund scholarships, both academic and athletic). If you truly love App, be sure you're doing what you can to support App financially, whether that's $1 a month or $1,000 a month. Then go out and find a former classmate to give $1 a month or more and have them do the same. Make them hear you - first in Boone, then in Chapel Hill and Raleigh.

Go App!
Come on now, you know that making sense while using reason & thought shouldn't be allowed in this thread ...

I'm pretty sure the Carolina's, Clemson's, Bama's, Michigan's, and Texas' of the world don't complain about fans who may or may not have attended, Walmart fans, or have dual allegiances. As long as they buy tickets, buy apparel, or give to the university, I'm sure they are fine with who ever they are. Building the brand and bringing in whoever as fans should be goal #1, don't care where they went to school, where they bought their shirt from, or who else they pull for in other sports. Never going to say "Don't need them", thats stupid. If they are spending money for App, heck YES we need them.
At the end of the day, the best way to build that brand, just win baby! Go Apps!
So you think the biggest colleges with the most walmart fans don't care most of their fan base is the wal-mart variety? Provocative thought. Of course we would want the same.

I will never look down on someone supporting their alma mater (Daphne), but we need more than just ourselves financially supporting. We need a Sea change in the state funding and UNC/BOG. That is where there is a huge discrepancy.

I know Will Rob you will continue to support UNC no matter how damaging it is to App, so what i'm about to say will fall on deaf ears, but if someday you actually decide to put App first you will hear and understand: In order for App to grow and get an equitable share of State funding, you need to stop supporting UNC basketball. Athletics is one area that UNC uses in which to continue their dominant position in the UNC BOG and skew the funding away from App. I'm sure you've seen the graphic where ASU gets the LOWEST per student funding in the UNC system. You are playing right into UNCs hands by supporting their basketball team (and by proxy their University and their administrative actions, which i've seen you do several times on this site and CSNBBS) This thinking permeates all areas in our state and is a driving force in why we are in the position we are.

Daphne i hope you don't take this personally, all of us are very appreciative of your support, but the truth is we are at cross purposes with UNC. In a state with concrete and finite resources, if we are to grow our per student funding that is going to come from somewhere and at the detriment of some other institution, and UNC is the fat cow that needs butchering.
I don't totally disagree with you. However; and not that it really matters in the whole scheme of things but for correction on your comment; I financially support App through both the Yosef club and with football season tickets. I haven't given 1 dime to UNC basketball, football or any other sport when it comes to tickets, funding or anything really. So to say I don't put App 1st just because I don't buy the "UNC wants to destroy App by keeping away funds" is very false. You'll find me wearing my Black & Gold Saturday in Keenan if you're there.

I do find it discouragement that App has some of the lowest funding in the State and would love to find out the true reasoning App receives less. And not just less than UNC, but Wilmington, Greensboro, Charlotte and others. But whether there are App fans who turn on their TVs to watch ACC basketball or not isn't going to change this at all. I just find it a stretch to believe that App receives the least amount of funding solely because "UNC is trying it's best to keep App down and prevent it from becoming a football power". A stretch unless you are just really wanting to find a justifiable reason for your already developed hate.
Thats great and thank you for your support. But some of us view App State as more than just a football team. If you think UNC doesn't use its dominant athletic position in order to maintain the status quo vis a vis funding, you're being willfully ignorant. Look how you are defending them, every time they break a rule, or more info is put out about our pitiful funding situation, the same cast of characters comes out of the woodwork to defend anything pale blue. Don't be simple minded, this is about more than athletics. Athletics is just one way that UNC is able maintain the status quo (which only works for UNC).

The "true reasoning" is simple. The UNC BOG (dominated by alumni from one particular institution) has decided how they are going to divvy up the finite resources they have, and App is the biggest loser. This is a zero sum game, anything that App can scratch and claw to get is going to come at the expense of another UNC institution.
Your "true reasoning" may be simple if you are simply trying to hate "anything pale blue." Sure, there is a correlation between NC BOG and large # of UNC alumni (at least that is what you are telling me). But unless you can give me something more than this correlation that UNC is purposefully keeping funds from App, for the purpose of holding the university and athletic program back, I will continue to question this "simple reasoning" you give. This example seems to be very convenient if you are trying to find a reason to hate (insert any team/School).

Look, if there's an article or documentation that shows decisions made by those representing the University of North Carolina to intentionally withdraw/hold funding from App state for the purpose of damaging or impair App state and our athletic programs. Then by all means share it and I will be right there with you on this hate.
However, if this is nothing more then presumptions by some to justify the reasoning for those to strongly dislike a certain team/University, then excuse me if I seem "ignorant" or "simple minded". Just because I don't have those same feelings as you, nor the luxury/priority/ or time to focus on things outside of athletics, doesn't make you a better person or fan. For me, there are way more important issues in this world for some of us to follow and worry about then if fellow alumni enjoy spending some time to casually follow other teams. If your dislike for everything UNC means you can't respect the fact that other alumni may enjoy following that team, or other teams for that matter, then by all means, thump your chest, point your nose up, and strut around like you are a "better" App fan then others. I hope you are that great of an App fan and I really hope you, and all of us, can enjoy being App (alumni and/or fans) this weeknd with a win. But with priorities being what they are, I think everything will be ok if there are several alumni thay may pull for another team along with our beloved App State. GoApps!

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:30 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:54 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:17 am
CoachRob wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
CoachRob wrote:

Your "true reasoning" may be simple if you are simply trying to hate "anything pale blue." Sure, there is a correlation between NC BOG and large # of UNC alumni (at least that is what you are telling me). But unless you can give me something more than this correlation that UNC is purposefully keeping funds from App, for the purpose of holding the university and athletic program back, I will continue to question this "simple reasoning" you give. This example seems to be very convenient if you are trying to find a reason to hate (insert any team/School).

Look, if there's an article or documentation that shows decisions made by those representing the University of North Carolina to intentionally withdraw/hold funding from App state for the purpose of damaging or impair App state and our athletic programs. Then by all means share it and I will be right there with you on this hate.
However, if this is nothing more then presumptions by some to justify the reasoning for those to strongly dislike a certain team/University, then excuse me if I seem "ignorant" or "simple minded". Just because I don't have those same feelings as you, nor the luxury/priority/ or time to focus on things outside of athletics, doesn't make you a better person or fan. For me, there are way more important issues in this world for some of us to follow and worry about then if fellow alumni enjoy spending some time to casually follow other teams. If your dislike for everything UNC means you can't respect the fact that other alumni may enjoy following that team, or other teams for that matter, then by all means, thump your chest, point your nose up, and strut around like you are a "better" App fan then others. I hope you are that great of an App fan and I really hope you, and all of us, can enjoy being App (alumni and/or fans) this weeknd with a win. But with priorities being what they are, I think everything will be ok if there are several alumni thay may pull for another team along with our beloved App State. GoApps!
There is no point. As the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't get every horse to admit that water exists.

Agree to disagree.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:32 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:39 pm
fjblair wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:23 pm
Everybody that grew up in NC had a favorite ACC basketball team. So naturally some graduates of other NC schools may be a fan of some NC ACC basketball program. I don't understand all the fuss.
I highlighted the key words. I know I’m generalizing here, but it seems fans of the other schools, in large part, have moved on, and CHeat fans have not.
Point taken. They are the worst of the bunch.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:35 pm

I think what really needs to happen is a major shift regarding how the Board of Governors is made up. This will never happen because UNC and our legislators will never relinquish the power on the Board. I took a look at each of the 26 members and noticed that quite a few have more than one degree and many from multiple universities. There are 11 that have a degree from UNC, there are 6 with a degree or affiliation with NCSU, there is 1 that has a degree from both ASU and WCU, there is 1 that has a degree from ECU, there is 1 that has a degree UNCP, 1 that has a degree from UNCW, 1 that has a degree from UNCC, 2 affiliated with WFU (there are others that were included with other affiliation), NCCU and UNCG had persons that also had degrees from UNC, and there were 2 that no North Carolina school affiliation.

I guess we should just be happy that we have representation and should remember our place....
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”