Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Anyone monitoring the UNC messages boards?

yosef13
School: Appalachian State

Re: Anyone monitoring the UNC messages boards?

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:24 pm

Typical stuff. Most people on there board have a realistic take, and some are way off base.

My only gripe is when I read that this is a no win situation. "If we win we were supposed to. If we lose it's devastating" kind of stuff.

If UNC wins, they have defeated a team that has won 4 bowl games in a row and is sniffing the top 25. If you don't see this as a quality win then you aren't paying much attention to your opponent.

If UNC loses, yeah it sucks, but it's to a team that was pretty evenly matched on paper and was picked to win by a lot of people without a dog in the fight.

I guess this narrative is more of a pride issue than anything.

Go App!

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:34 pm

The whole "we're your super bowl" talk is stupid. A lot of our fans did it to UNCC a few weeks ago. It's so self indulgent and a waste of time. This is a big game, but time will tell what was the biggest game of the season.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:58 pm

I'd just be happy with a win so commentators who don't pay any attention to our program can finally stop talking about the Michigan win as if it's the only thing of notoriety that our program has ever accomplished.

On the bright side, the "Kings of the Kiddy Pool" have never been subject of a massive NCAA investigation, and our athletes can write more than a paragraph for a paper. So we've got that going for us.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:12 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:34 pm
The whole "we're your super bowl" talk is stupid. A lot of our fans did it to UNCC a few weeks ago. It's so self indulgent and a waste of time. This is a big game, but time will tell what was the biggest game of the season.
I just informed Mr. Hardin that our Super Bowl would be another berth in the SB Championship game followed by a bowl game preferably a NY 6 game. I further said that the games against "the Carolinas " are a means to those ends. Im tired of being the Black and Gold headed step-child.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:16 pm

appstate77 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:04 pm
Our "super bowl" (pejorative term as The article uses it).....is/are, SunBelt Championship Game, Bowl game. Period. Any other stance feeds the "little brother " syndrome and is not in line with team goals. Not interested.
You know, there may be as many App fans in Chapel Hill Saturday as there were for a home championship game.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:25 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:13 pm
appstate77 wrote:
Our "super bowl" (pejorative term as The article uses it).....is/are, SunBelt Championship Game, Bowl game. Period.
While I agree with you, reading this board sure paints a different picture. The desire to play and ultimately beat them is expressed with more regularity than any other game I can remember reading about including the SunBelt Championship and bowl games.
We kid ourselves if we think otherwise.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:35 pm

Personally, all I want to see is that both teams come to a gentleman's agreement, sometime around the end of the first quarter and lasting until game time runs out, that the Mountaineers have the better team, will score more points by the end of the game, have the better coaches, better fans, better facilities, and that resistance is futile.

Ok, Ok, I will accept that agreement occurring sometime in the second quarter.

And, Phtooiiee on all this drivel about a super bowl. IT'S MOUNTAINEER FOOTBALL!!!

That is all.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:58 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:16 pm
Their message board is by far the most boring I’ve ever read
this.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:00 pm

This game along with the next 11 allows us to play in our superbowl. Any loss and we that dream disappears.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:25 pm

appstate77 wrote:
Our "super bowl" (pejorative term as The article uses it).....is/are, SunBelt Championship Game, Bowl game. Period. Any other stance feeds the "little brother " syndrome and is not in line with team goals. Not interested.
Our "Super Bowl" would be to be the G5 rep in the Cotton Bowl. Aside from the things we cannot control (UCF must lose, maybe multiple times, for example), our guys must win this game, the USC game, all the SBC games, and the championship game.

So in a way, the UNC game is like a "Super Bowl" level of importance because it is the next win on the road to the "Super Bowl". There is no margin for error on that road.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:38 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:25 pm
So in a way, the UNC game is like a "Super Bowl" level of importance because it is the next win on the road to the "Super Bowl". There is no margin for error on that road.
So basically, every game is our Super Bowl. :lol:

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:55 pm

1-0 every week. No game is more important than any others. Drinkwitz emphasized this on Mtneer. Talk this week.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:02 pm

hapapp wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:25 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:13 pm
appstate77 wrote:
Our "super bowl" (pejorative term as The article uses it).....is/are, SunBelt Championship Game, Bowl game. Period.
While I agree with you, reading this board sure paints a different picture. The desire to play and ultimately beat them is expressed with more regularity than any other game I can remember reading about including the SunBelt Championship and bowl games.
We kid ourselves if we think otherwise.
This needs to change and older alumni need to take the lead. Earlier this week I politely informed my 12+ cousins, aunts and uncles that, this week at least, Ill tolerate none of the condescension they have pointed my way since the day I set foot in Boone as a student. So far they are honoring this. Saturday, win, lose or draw, it may change back. Ive, however, drawn a Black and Gold line in the sand.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:19 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:01 am
I heard them say, “we have nothing to gain from this if we win” and “this is Apps Superbowl”. Honestly, I’m on the opposite end of both. I think App will not gain much from a win, outside of some better awareness on the recruiting trail and local media markets, but I think most will say “yes, App should’ve won”. I think the UNC players and coaches are circling this one to say that they have to win it to show they are moving in the right direction. For me, I know we are a better program and team. Problem is, I don’t know if our defense is ready.
Is this based on anything you are hearing from the locker-room or just a hunch? You can answer in the Moose Lodge or PM if necessary

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:29 pm

VNova wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:54 am
Gotta love it when they think we're the delusional ones...
Did you read the commentary here last week after a win?

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:36 pm

Winning continues our consistent upward trajectory. Losing does kind of put us in our place in the state of North Carolina. We won't be able to claim "best in the state" anymore (at least until we play them again).

Winning the Sunbelt will still be great and means we're a really good G5, but winning the Sunbelt and losing this game means that's all we are (for now) and still have work to do to get on the level of even a mediocre ACC school.
Last edited by APPdiesel on Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:00 pm

A lot of the comments, like by the Tarpit guy still reflects the thinking as if we're still FCS. I recall overhearing an older gentleman in a bar wearing Wake Forest attire back in 2017 that they "shouldn't even be going up to Boone to play those guys," I was in a bit of a hurry so didn't engage but it's going to take time and some P5 victories to break those old paradigms...

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:21 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:19 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:01 am
I heard them say, “we have nothing to gain from this if we win” and “this is Apps Superbowl”. Honestly, I’m on the opposite end of both. I think App will not gain much from a win, outside of some better awareness on the recruiting trail and local media markets, but I think most will say “yes, App should’ve won”. I think the UNC players and coaches are circling this one to say that they have to win it to show they are moving in the right direction. For me, I know we are a better program and team. Problem is, I don’t know if our defense is ready.
Is this based on anything you are hearing from the locker-room or just a hunch? You can answer in the Moose Lodge or PM if necessary
:lol: :lol: no no no. I’ve left my “sources” alone this week and my concerns about the defense are just what’s leftover from the first two weeks. Considering the things I heard much of last week, I should be more optimistic.....but I’m just not there yet.

See you guys on Franklin Saturday night to celebrate the victory!
The Appalachian State

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:42 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:29 pm
VNova wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:54 am
Gotta love it when they think we're the delusional ones...
Did you read the commentary here last week after a win?
You're right. I retract my statement. :lol:

Overcashed

Unread post by Overcashed » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:49 pm

New hot takes from UNC "football" fans:

"At 11 pm on Thursday night, perused the spreads at Scoresandodds.com. The spread against Appalachian State is down to UNC -2.5. I thought the spread would be between 3.5 and 6.5. For goodness sakes, Appalachian gave up 41 points to Charlotte"

https://247sports.com/college/north-car ... 135825951/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”