Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Ted Roof Crow Thread - Come Get Your Dinner

asu7
School: Appalachian State

Re: Ted Roof Crow Thread - Come Get Your Dinner

Unread post by asu7 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:04 pm

I dunno ... we are fans which means fanatics ... I think sometimes it is necessary. If the coaches get their feelings hurt by what we say on a message board then we are in deep doo doo. I still think we don’t know the whole story about what happened with the defense during the bye. Whatever it was it got better. However ... there is always room for improvement. We are flirting with disaster with this prevent defense we go into. I saw several wide open receivers in the middle of the field. We got work to do but winning makes it easier to get it done.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:16 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:22 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:01 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:16 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:59 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:37 am
Look guys.. Roof has been calling plays from the field for years. It's not new to him. It's not like he had to get a different view to call the plays.

Drink made a decision because of events through the week for Gaspo and Roof to change roles this week. Whether it's a permanent change or not, we will find out next week.
Check out the postgame presser with Drink. Besides it being thoroughly entertaining, he definitely confirms he sent Roof to the box, but it doesn’t sound like Roof wasn’t making the calls. Obviously, having Gasp on the sidelines creates a dynamic where calls are being filtered through Gasp and Gasp has to present it with adjustments based on what he and the players are seeing on the field. Interesting to see what happens this weekend against coastal.
There is no crow to eat here because I believe you because I thought it was weird to just move Roof if we did not have checks and balances on his calls. I could see Gaspo calling the entire game. Gaspo is going to be a very good coach and I would trust him over Roof as DC.

The cooling fans were definitely not working and I feel had we not been getting depleted with injuries and cramps that we could have won by more.

At the end of the day I'm glad for the win but I am 90% sure some things changed and that was not a game called by Roof. I have zero confidence in Roof and that remains the same.

I do think Drink officially became a Mountaineer with this game. I can see it in his eyes. In the postgame he made some comments that backed up he believes what I and most others think. He expects to go undefeated and we can do it. We have a lot of talent and I think Drink is only getting better with each week.

One thing to keep in mind. Look at the numbers of ZT. They were the worst of his career for a full game in terms of TD-INT ratio. When has he not scored a TD in a game? We still won the game. We played pretty good but I still think we only played a B+ game. This team has crazy potential to go 13-0. We just have to take it one game at a time.

UNC was a good team. They still may win 6 games and go to a bowl and hopefully they do.
The head coach literally called it “the Ted Roof defense” in the post game presser. You and the other message board insiders here are once again wrong.
Listen, I’m trying to be cordial about this...,,you don’t know what your talking about. As I mentioned before, A LOT of stuff happened this week (let’s just call them growing pains) and we came out the other end better for it in this game. Most of us that know the details won’t share them here, so before you come back around and start hounding us, you may want to think there is a lot more that goes on than what is talked about on here. I’m sure there are a few people here that can corroborate my position. I’m sorry that you get offended by some of us sharing info on the board. I do it because as a passionate fan, I would love for someone else to do the same if they were in the position. A lot of people know a lot of things they can’t share on here, and it should be respected that they do their best to inform other passionate fans.

Moving forward, I’ll keep most of the things to myself. Obviously, some of the posters feel like some of us are “trolling” or whatever, so I’ll be the first to step back from sharing as much as I have. I apologize if I have caused anyone unnecessary stress. I’ll end it by saying, considering what happened in the days leading up to the game and the result of the game, I am even more impressed with Drinkwitz. Go App.
Lol you haven’t said anything that gives me the idea you have any clue you know what’s going on either. Like i said, the head coach referred to it as Ted Roofs defense - I’ll listen to that rather than the message board insiders.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:30 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:52 pm
Sounds like whatever it was Drink wasn't happy with the "crap" being said about the defensive staff and, in turn, about him since he hired them. I really think some of us need to dial back the over the top nastiness. Let's let things play out. GOAPPSGO!!!
Of course he wasn't happy, this is his staff. He has every right to chastise us.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:36 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:16 pm

Lol you haven’t said anything that gives me the idea you have any clue you know what’s going on either. Like i said, the head coach referred to it as Ted Roofs defense - I’ll listen to that rather than the message board insiders.
This time you are right, I didn't say anything on here about what happened. I did mention it to someone over a PM on Thursday night, and I'm sure they weren't surprised at what unfolded on Saturday.
The Appalachian State

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:42 pm

Alum, don’t let yosef10 or anyone else intimidate you. Your info is real and truthful. The fact is adjustments were made which resembled the past defensive play and the results were good. It was a lot easier to watch.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:50 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:42 pm
Alum, don’t let yosef10 or anyone else intimidate you. Your info is real and truthful. The fact is adjustments were made which resembled the past defensive play and the results were good. It was a lot easier to watch.
Thank you. I'm not intimidated :lol:
Most can go back and read my posts about what was causing defensive issues previously, then watch the game and see what changed. The biggest being what they did with Akeem.... Heard he was awarded the game ball btw
The Appalachian State

Appgrad91

Unread post by Appgrad91 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:02 pm

Well thank goodness our football team does not operate like the majority opinion on our message board. For the UNC game Ted Roof would have already been fired and we would be scrambling to figure out which one of our favs would take over the defense. In real life I would hope Ted Roof, All the defense coaches AND THE PLAYERS owned the poor defensive performance against UNCC. I prefer to think what we saw Saturday was a total team effort to change things up and we saw that. You can say all you want about giving up 31 points yesterday but had we played as poorly as we did against UNCC we would have given up 60. As i said in a previous post, If you hated Ted Roof before you most likely still hate him now (thus the conspiracy theories of who called the plays on defense Saturday.) For the record I was not a fan of the Ted Roof hire but i trust Coach Drink. Obviously he knows Ted better than any of us and last i checked.. yep we are 3-0. Go App! Beat CC.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:53 am

Some months ago Coach Drink became the mountaineer head coach. I'm sure he would have told you he was a full on mountaineer. In his mind he was. I don't know when it happened but like us he is now a mountaineer in his heart. You could see it hear it and feel it. And when you're a mountaineer in your heart yourpassion exudes. He is not in an easy spot. I was very proud of him Saturday and happy for him. I am extremely proud of our team and extremely happy for them.

97grad

Unread post by 97grad » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:32 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:26 pm
97grad wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:09 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:04 pm
Cramping-- UNCs field cooling system was not working. It was a million degrees on the field today.

Roof- alot has happened over the last frw days. I can't go into detail yet, but let's not go kissing Roof's butt quite yet. Look at the scheme, it was a lot different than what we did last two weeks.... For the better. Akeem was the roaming LB and we played back and patient. Stick with what works. All I can say is the defensive players rallied and showed up huge.

We won, we should've won, we deserved to win.
Interesting to hear about the cooling system; was this just on our side? A few Carolina fans by us were going on about how we had folks we had going down every other play and, from our vantage point it was hard to argue.
Did you feel the difference once you sat in the shade vs. the sun, my kids certainly stopped nagging my us. Pretty simple to figure this one out without going to class.
Your snark is not required. Unfortunately my seats in 210 were not in the shade even at the end.

appgrunt71

Unread post by appgrunt71 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:02 am

Very happy for coach Roof. He and his defense came thru like champs. Go Apps!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:31 am

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:42 pm
If you didn’t think a gameplan was going to be different for UNCC than it was for UNC, then i really don’t know what to tell you. I’m not attempting to intimidate anyone, it’s just absolutely ridiculous for anyone on here to be insinuating playcalling duties were taken from Roof, or that this isn’t Ted Roofs defense. It 100% is. I’m sorry some of you are having to create BS to make you feel better for the petulant reaction after the Charlotte game.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:51 am

At this point, all of the “Roof not calling plays” and Gasp stuff is rumor and assumption. It is certainly a possibility, but no one has been able to confirm anything to this point. Reality is, it doesn’t matter, it worked, so whatever the dynamic is, let’s stick with it.

All we know is that Roof and Gasp switched positions on Saturday. Roof gets a birds eye view of what is happening in the field. He makes a call down to Gasp based on what he sees, Gasp dialogues with him based on what the players are saying and what he sees from the field. Gasp’s job is to have the pulse of the players. Based on all of those factors, Gasp feeds the call in to the defense (in it original or edited form) and the players execute or audible on field based on formation.

It’s still the defensive staff as a whole who established the gameplan, so they all own that. Roof establishes a philosophy, they collaborate as a staff and build the gameplan. This is how it should go, and I’m sure it did to some degree on Saturday. What I can tell you is this wasn’t exactly how things went the first few weeks.
The Appalachian State

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:54 am

Keep Roof in the box and let the position coaches do the sideline work. Seems that he gets a better vision of what is going on all across the field from that vantage point and it helped out against UNC.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:59 am

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:51 am
At this point, all of the “Roof not calling plays” and Gasp stuff is rumor and assumption. It is certainly a possibility, but no one has been able to confirm anything to this point. Reality is, it doesn’t matter, it worked, so whatever the dynamic is, let’s stick with it.

All we know is that Roof and Gasp switched positions on Saturday. Roof gets a birds eye view of what is happening in the field. He makes a call down to Gasp based on what he sees, Gasp dialogues with him based on what the players are saying and what he sees from the field. Gasp’s job is to have the pulse of the players. Based on all of those factors, Gasp feeds the call in to the defense (in it original or edited form) and the players execute or audible on field based on formation.

It’s still the defensive staff as a whole who established the gameplan, so they all own that. Roof establishes a philosophy, they collaborate as a staff and build the gameplan. This is how it should go, and I’m sure it did to some degree on Saturday. What I can tell you is this wasn’t exactly how things went the first few weeks.
My very uninformed assumption after Charlotte was that the defensive schemes moving forward would mirror what we saw under Brown and Woody. Trust your front 4 (OLB or ILB bringing pressure seemingly at random) to get pressure and dictate to the offensive line what they would do, trust Fehr to make the call on the field if he needed to (QB of the defense), and allow the back of the defense to read and react to what they saw. Make the opposing team work for every yard they gain, let your guys flow to the ball, and hunker down when the field shrinks closer to the end zone.

The bend but don't break mentality can be irritating at times but App's got good coverage guys in the secondary who are better suited to zone play with safety help than with cushioned man and no safety help.

I liked the game plan and think that if App had more depth with experience and size on defense, there wouldn't have been as much drop off between the 2nd and 3rd quarters as we ended up seeing.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:11 am

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:51 am

I can confirm the play calling was more of a collaborative effort than first two games -- similar to how Woody and Brown's defenses were called. First two games were more of a "my way or the highway" approach. That changed this game. As appstatealum has already said, things happened this past week that made Drink have to make some decisions. He earned the respect of a lot of people with these decisions.

Roof now sees the benefit of this approach. Whether it stays this way or not is to be seen.

Did Roof have a part in the play calling? Yes.
Was Roof the only one calling the plays? No.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:19 am

Yosef10, can we all be right and support App.... In the end things changed, defense played better, and App State won.

Lets move on and allow some who disagree to not be harrassed..... i usually agree with you Yosef10.... lets move on and enjoy the good old defense

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:26 am

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:54 am
Keep Roof in the box and let the position coaches do the sideline work. Seems that he gets a better vision of what is going on all across the field from that vantage point and it helped out against UNC.
If we are to believe Drink, that's why he was in the box on Saturday.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:57 am

hapapp wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:26 am
ericsaid wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:54 am
If we are to believe Drink, that's why he was in the box on Saturday.
I think believing Drink is the appropriate move. The box is the traditional location for coordinators and it makes sense that Drink would want him there.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:16 pm

Anyone who watched that post game presser can clearly see how much faith Drink has in Roof. If they listen they can also hear how much Drink knows about defense as he explains how we were able to call certain plays based on their defense. These are two areas that I have seen a lot of our posters make assumptions about that are clearly incorrect. If we trust in Drink, that means we trust in Roof because Drink certainly does. It is clear that it is Roof's defense, Drink trusts him to run it and everyone that doesn't like it just needs to learn now to deal with it. Like Drink said, without those 3 defensive turnovers, we don't win the game.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:29 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:16 pm
Anyone who watched that post game presser can clearly see how much faith Drink has in Roof. If they listen they can also hear how much Drink knows about defense as he explains how we were able to call certain plays based on their defense. These are two areas that I have seen a lot of our posters make assumptions about that are clearly incorrect. If we trust in Drink, that means we trust in Roof because Drink certainly does. It is clear that it is Roof's defense, Drink trusts him to run it and everyone that doesn't like it just needs to learn now to deal with it. Like Drink said, without those 3 defensive turnovers, we don't win the game.
Those were forced turnovers by the defense as well. UNC didn't "give the ball away" as many UNC fans seem to believe. The tipped pass on third down, Davis-Gaither reading the coverage correctly, and Taylor playing with impossible motor and finishing plays, again, is what did this.

That comes from within the players and within the scheme. Roof called the defense how he needed to call it in the second half to make UNC really work for every point that they were going to get. Force them to milk the clock, tighten up when closer to the endzone, and run the ball effectively on offense to for their hand in timeouts. All around, I liked the synergy for a coaching staff being together only 3 games.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”