Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Kenan Stadium

ukappfan
School: Appalachian State

Re: Kenan Stadium

Unread post by ukappfan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:29 pm

I just wanted to send a shout out to the UNC ushers in section 200. My wife is 34 weeks pregnant and the two ladies asked several times if she was doing ok and if she needed anything to let them know. She was sitting in the walkway at half and another UNC lady came over to check and make sure she was ok. Very impressed.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:09 am

yikas1 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:47 pm
I completely agree about the band. I cannot believe as much money as we got paid to go to this game in state against Carolina we cannot afford to charter buses to drive less than three hours from Boone with a pep band and fifty tickets
I was under the impression that it is our return visit to Kenan that draws a check.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:23 am

Every UNC fan I interacted with was fine except the lady behind me that I mentioned in another thread, and that was only one short exchange.

I feel like I’m taking a cheap shot, but I’m just being honest: Carolina game day was pathetic. They didn’t know how to behave in a football game. No noise, no atmosphere (besides why we brought). They have a LONG way to go.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:05 am

Gonzo wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:23 am
I feel like I’m taking a cheap shot, but I’m just being honest: Carolina game day was pathetic. They didn’t know how to behave in a football game. No noise, no atmosphere (besides why we brought). They have a LONG way to go.
True that.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:06 am

Gonzo wrote:
True that.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:26 am

hapapp wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:09 am
yikas1 wrote:
I completely agree about the band. I cannot believe as much money as we got paid to go to this game in state against Carolina we cannot afford to charter buses to drive less than three hours from Boone with a pep band and fifty tickets
I was under the impression that it is our return visit to Kenan that draws a check.
I believe we got $300k for the game Saturday. We took the lower check in return for the upcoming home-and-home.

JGthatsme86

Unread post by JGthatsme86 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:32 am

We had a great day (except for the heat) and had no real issues with fans. One funny story- I was going to get another adult beverage in the second half when Carolina was making their comeback and I saw a lady wearing a UNC basketball shirt and she was READING A BOOK in her seat. That about sums up UNC football game day support. Wish I had taken a pic.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:33 am

Danny Green walking out and waving to their fans was the loudest roar of the day.

PoplarHillApp

Unread post by PoplarHillApp » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:03 am

We were in section 122 and didn't have any issues with anyone around us, and we were completely surrounded by Carolina Blue. We acted like we deserved to be there and had experienced winning before, and didn't engage anyone or trash talk. My fiancee and I agreed before the game to act with class and be friendly, and represent ASU fans and alumni in the best and friendliest way possible.

As everyone was leaving after final whistle a gentleman from UNC came down from three rows above just to shake my hand, congratulate us, and tell us we deserved to win and were the better team. He didn't have to do that, and I thought it was a nice gesture. He asked if our fans were as loud at home as they were in Kenan, and I said "absolutely", and that I was very proud of what App has accomplished and how it's been fantastic for our University. I also told him that he should make every effort to attend a game in Kidd Brewer, as it's a phenomenal and fan-friendly football culture.

I did sense a little bit of superiority thrown our way. Nobody was particularly welcoming, but I didn't expect it being an away game and a game that UNC certainly didn't want to lose to us for a number of reasons.

I saw one guy in his mid-20's in lower 123 threatening some of our fans, flipping the middle finger, and yelling profanities. He was a bit intoxicated and wanting a fight, and I'm not sure of what provoked his behavior. He kept pointing at a ring on his erect middle finger, swearing, and that he was coming up to "beat some of our fan's as*es". Some UNC fans around me were yelling for him to just sit down be quiet. I asked the UNC folks around me, "don't you remember your first beer at a football game?", and everyone had a good laugh and some high fives.

All in all, our experience was good. I didn't like that their fans were booing when some of our guys were going down in the second half, and some around me were screaming that App was "acting". I think that arose from the fact they were losing at the time, and they were beginning to come to terms with the fact that they might actually lose to us.

I do believe that their football culture is not where most of their fans would like it to be and that's simply due to the lack of success on the football field for many years (no ACC title since 1980 under Dick Crum, I believe). I'm guessing the last time they tasted success on the football field was in 1997, but that was overshadowed (yet again) by basketball. That's over 20 years, and certainly a long time to not experience success at the level expected.

I'm certainly not making excuses for some of their fan's chosen behaviors and their culture, but rather what I seemed to pick up on during our visit there this weekend. It was very pleasant compared to what I've endured from opposing fans in the past attending games in Statesboro.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:07 am

Gonzo wrote:
Every UNC fan I interacted with was fine except the lady behind me that I mentioned in another thread, and that was only one short exchange.

Not a cheap shot al all, you are dead on...I mentioned that if we hadnt been there there would have been no atmosphere at all....

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:11 am

Except for the heat I had a great time at the game. I was in section 100 row cc, excellent view of field. App fans around us did not hassle the unc wbb girls that came down to visit my daughter and me (I bought an extra ticket so we would have open seat).

Friday Center bus was the right way to go, no nerve racking traffic to/from stadium.
Bring Your A Game!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:18 am

appst89 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:26 am
hapapp wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:09 am
yikas1 wrote:
I believe we got $300k for the game Saturday. We took the lower check in return for the upcoming home-and-home.
Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:28 am

Zero issues all weekend. I did not even witness anything.

Fun time with App and UNC family.

The walk from Kenan back to Franklin was hilariously somber. My UNC peeps were a little less festive at dinner Saturday night than they were at dinner Friday night.

asugoapps

Unread post by asugoapps » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:50 am

ASU85Grad wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:15 pm
My son and I were verbally and physically assaulted as we left. 50 plus year old gentleman blind sided me and tried to choke my 17 year old autistic son. He started the whole thing by turning around and screaming at us with about 2 minutes to go. I have filed a complaint with the police after EMT's checked us out. If UNC police will do nothing, I'll go to social medial and tell everything.

I was sitting behind you and saw the whole thing happen. I went to UNC security and told them that the two of you were verbally and physically assaulted by that guy. I could not believe he came after your son!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:55 am

We camped in Friday Center lot starting Friday night and had nothing but great interactions with UNC fans. Quite a few hung out at our campers and had some adult beverages with us Friday night. All quite pleasant and had a good time.

I will also say the Friday Center lot and camping is a great set up. Wish App had something like this -- but alas, not enough space for it.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:11 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:55 am
We camped in Friday Center lot starting Friday night and had nothing but great interactions with UNC fans. Quite a few hung out at our campers and had some adult beverages with us Friday night. All quite pleasant and had a good time.

I will also say the Friday Center lot and camping is a great set up. Wish App had something like this -- but alas, not enough space for it.
Does App have anywhere for campers/RVs even remotely close to campus? That's one thing we're missing - some space for campers. I'd be all over that scene.
Give 'em hell!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:13 pm

Flintlock Campground is just out of town on 105.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:16 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:13 pm
Flintlock Campground is just out of town on 105.
That's what I mean - there's nowhere really on campus for RVs. NCSU has a great setup with the fairgrounds right there - I recall hanging out with some fans there in 2006 and having a good time with them at their campers. Alas, we really have better uses for the minimal amount of land we have at our disposal, and the tradeoff of having an on-campus stadium vs off campus (with a ton of land around it for parking, etc) is too great.
Give 'em hell!

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:22 pm

Gonzo wrote:

It's not a cheap shot, it was real. I was kind of shocked.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:30 pm

I almost posted something nice about UNC fans, but didn't feel right, so I deleted it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”