Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Manners

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Manners

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:51 am

I’ve been hearing about some unc fans not acting their best. So here’s what I noticed...maybe a few poor sports but mostly polite Tar Heels but we also had a few bad APPles around including the guy who fell down on me and my son from too much drinking and then a few mouthy fans that proudly gave the one fingered salute. It’s no secret that I like to knock back a few Co-Colas but Jesus, Mary and Yosef...if you have a friend thats weaving between the lines a lil bit and makes you cringe when he/she lets fly a tapestry of profanity that would curl a sailors toes....reach out and tell them to take it down a thousand...again...I’m no angel but I always welcome opposing fans...ask them if they need any help while giving some good natured ribbing. Be cool and those opposing fans will enjoy the experience...don’t be a Richard Cranium

HkyMtneer
School: Appalachian State

Re: Manners

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:03 am

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:51 am
I’ve been hearing about some unc fans not acting their best. So here’s what I noticed...maybe a few poor sports but mostly polite Tar Heels but we also had a few bad APPles around including the guy who fell down on me and my son from too much drinking and then a few mouthy fans that proudly gave the one fingered salute. It’s no secret that I like to knock back a few Co-Colas but Jesus, Mary and Yosef...if you have a friend thats weaving between the lines a lil bit and makes you cringe when he/she lets fly a tapestry of profanity that would curl a sailors toes....reach out and tell them to take it down a thousand...again...I’m no angel but I always welcome opposing fans...ask them if they need any help while giving some good natured ribbing. Be cool and those opposing will enjoy the experience...don’t be a Richard Cranium
Who the fcuk is Richard Cranium? ;) Just messin' -I concur completely with your sentiments. I had no negative experiences with the tar hole fans. A lack of football knowledge and of things football "culture" related? Yes, but no terrible encounters myself. I did hear some words being exchanged post-game while exiting, between both sides, no doubt induced by the great equalizer that is alcohol and aided by conflicting emotions of joy and disappointment, paired in close proximity.

appstategrad2008

Unread post by appstategrad2008 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:29 am

I also saw the vast majority of fans on both sides being cordial. There was a young UNC fan sitting in front of us with his App fan girlfriend/sister/friend, and he actually turned to us when the game was in hand and shook our hands congratulating us on the win, etc. Very respectful, and I appreciated that.

Gnomeneer

Unread post by Gnomeneer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:57 am

Several of us older ones had the privilege of sitting with about 20 to 30 younger generation App fans. We too had one App fan that indulged a little to much in the contaminated beer (couldn't believe they didn't have YOSEF Golden Ale). He went off on the UNC fans behinds us because of the booing of our players in the third and fourth quarter with the cramps (hope UNC comes to Boone when it is 20 degrees on the field). I tried to calm him down just a little, as I enjoyed his excitement. The UNC folks around us were not booing, as it came from the student sections in the far end zone. Our young fan lost his balance with the celebration of the tipped FG and accidentally bumped into a lady in front of him. The husband reported to the campus police that he pushed his wife. Not the case. However, because of his going off on the UNC fans they had enough and wrong impression. We talk to the police officer and agree to have him exit the opposite way of the offended couple. Point being, stay focus on the game, yell at the refs, yell at the coaches, yell at the players, but do so with some class and not annoy the hell out of the losing fans. We stood 95% of the time because of the energy of the team and our great young fans, to the dismay of the UNC crowd.

BEAT COASTAL!

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:25 am

Gnomeneer wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:57 am
Several of us older ones had the privilege of sitting with about 20 to 30 younger generation App fans. We too had one App fan that indulged a little to much in the contaminated beer (couldn't believe they didn't have YOSEF Golden Ale). He went off on the UNC fans behinds us because of the booing of our players in the third and fourth quarter with the cramps (hope UNC comes to Boone when it is 20 degrees on the field). I tried to calm him down just a little, as I enjoyed his excitement. The UNC folks around us were not booing, as it came from the student sections in the far end zone. Our young fan lost his balance with the celebration of the tipped FG and accidentally bumped into a lady in front of him. The husband reported to the campus police that he pushed his wife. Not the case. However, because of his going off on the UNC fans they had enough and wrong impression. We talk to the police officer and agree to have him exit the opposite way of the offended couple. Point being, stay focus on the game, yell at the refs, yell at the coaches, yell at the players, but do so with some class and not annoy the hell out of the losing fans. We stood 95% of the time because of the energy of the team and our great young fans, to the dismay of the UNC crowd.

BEAT COASTAL!
I am glad that you were able to find the police. When my son and myself were assaulted (another thread) there were none to be found

PoplarHillApp

Unread post by PoplarHillApp » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:08 am

ASU85Grad wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:25 am
Gnomeneer wrote:

BEAT COASTAL!
I am glad that you were able to find the police. When my son and myself were assaulted (another thread) there were none to be found
Any updates?

ASU Architect

Unread post by ASU Architect » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Most of the UNC fans were cool. Other than the ones yelling "Safety School ". Which was clever and kinda true. 99% of the App fans were great too. Not counting the bumpkin behind us challenging UNC fans to a fight. Despite the fact that he was in the 2nd row and they were in the upper deck.

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:42 pm

PoplarHillApp wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:08 am
ASU85Grad wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:25 am
Gnomeneer wrote:

BEAT COASTAL!
Any updates?
Spoke to a Lt. Ellis this am. They are looking at who ownes the tickets and also have a few cameras. One person here on the MMB saw everything and reported it that evening.

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:49 pm

85, I wanted to commend you on your handling of the situation with your son. I am, like you, the father of an autistic son. I know how special that relationship is, and I admire your restraint. I hope you get some closure from those who are investigating.
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:02 pm

ASU Architect wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:57 pm
Most of the UNC fans were cool. Other than the ones yelling "Safety School ". Which was clever and kinda true. 99% of the App fans were great too. Not counting the bumpkin behind us challenging UNC fans to a fight. Despite the fact that he was in the 2nd row and they were in the upper deck.
Kinda true maybe, clever-nope.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:10 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:02 pm
ASU Architect wrote:
I applied to UNC-CH and App on the same day. The acceptance letter to Chapel Hill came first and I figured I'd go there if I didn't get into App. Then the App acceptance letter came and I was a Mountaineer for life.

Does that make Chapel Hill my safety school?

*Ok so I applied to Worst-in Carolina as well as my true safety school.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:43 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:10 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:02 pm
ASU Architect wrote:
I applied to UNC-CH and App on the same day. The acceptance letter to Chapel Hill came first and I figured I'd go there if I didn't get into App. Then the App acceptance letter came and I was a Mountaineer for life.

Does that make Chapel Hill my safety school?

*Ok so I applied to Worst-in Carolina as well as my true safety school.
Haha absolutely! I think if UNC fans (most didn’t go to UNC) knew how many students got into UNC and turned it down it would make them uncomfortable. My wife chose App over UNC, Davidson and Purdue.

UNC was definitely her safety school.

walkercobsquared

Unread post by walkercobsquared » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:48 pm

I sat with a pocket of App people in the student section. The "SAFETY SCHOOL" chant followed our APP-STATE chant following that beautiful Taylor TD. That cheap shot was all they had left in the tank once they realized they might lose, which they were not mentally prepared for after the showing in the first 10 seconds of the game.

To me it just showed lack of respect, but it's a lack of respect I have felt for a while as a recent alum. When I chose to go to App over UNC and NC State, one of my high school teachers approached me out of "genuine concern" that I was not choosing the more superior school. I had great grades and my school had somewhat of a direct funnel to UNC. People in my workplace that are from out of state have discredited me before upon learning I did not attend UNC... even in cases where I'm in a higher and/or more involved position than them.

I think it's viewed as blasphemy to many UNC students and alum that anyone would willingly choose to attend ASU over UNC if accepted to both. I hope that with this win and with our outstanding alumni base out there kicking butt in the real world, those connotations will change over time. I think that they are already.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:50 pm

I really think experiences with fanbases just vary based on odd chance of who you end up around. Every fanbase is going to have great people, but there will also be some bad apples as well. I actually wasn't around really any UNC fans once I got into the stadium. I was in one of the App sections and of course I stayed well after the game to celebrate and by that point about all of the UNC fans were gone. So I didn't really interact with any UNC fans once the game had concluded. I tailgated with UNC fans and they were awesome, but I kind of got the impression they didn't think it would be TOO hard of a game for their team. I usually have good experiences on away trips, but again it all depends. I thought UGA fans were some of the nicest people in the world, but a good friend of mine did not have the same experience.

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:41 pm

Appsolutely wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:49 pm
85, I wanted to commend you on your handling of the situation with your son. I am, like you, the father of an autistic son. I know how special that relationship is, and I admire your restraint. I hope you get some closure from those who are investigating.
Appsolutely, thanks for the support. I also commend you for raising an autistic son. If someone has not raised an autistic child, they have no idea of the challenges the child, and parents face. It can be a horrible disease.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:32 am

walkercobsquared wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:48 pm
I sat with a pocket of App people in the student section. The "SAFETY SCHOOL" chant followed our APP-STATE chant following that beautiful Taylor TD. That cheap shot was all they had left in the tank once they realized they might lose, which they were not mentally prepared for after the showing in the first 10 seconds of the game.

To me it just showed lack of respect, but it's a lack of respect I have felt for a while as a recent alum. When I chose to go to App over UNC and NC State, one of my high school teachers approached me out of "genuine concern" that I was not choosing the more superior school. I had great grades and my school had somewhat of a direct funnel to UNC. People in my workplace that are from out of state have discredited me before upon learning I did not attend UNC... even in cases where I'm in a higher and/or more involved position than them.

I think it's viewed as blasphemy to many UNC students and alum that anyone would willingly choose to attend ASU over UNC if accepted to both. I hope that with this win and with our outstanding alumni base out there kicking butt in the real world, those connotations will change over time. I think that they are already.
I was advised to apply for UNC, Wake, and NC State. I had no interest in UNC or Wake as the cost didn’t seem to justify the level of education. I only applied for NC State, App, ECU and Charlotte was my safety school. The second I got my App acceptance, I never even opened my other letters.

I love being able to describe App to parents who are sending their kids as a place with a culture like they will never experience anywhere else. Once they are there for a few years, they will never want to leave and they’ll keep coming back if they do.
The Appalachian State

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:07 am

I applied to UNC (and was accepted) because I was nominated for the Morehead Scholarship. If I had gotten that scholarship I probably would have gone there for financial reasons. I got an Honor's Scholarship from App and at the time I was still thinking about picking up a music degree so I very happily became a Mountaineer. I switched to business and ultimately accounting but I never regretted my decision. I worked with mostly grads from Wake and UNC during my public years and never felt they were better prepared.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:08 am

At the school where my wife teaches, the valedictorian at this past Spring's graduation chose App while the runner up (who was also a Morehead Scholarship semi-finalist) chose Carolina.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:14 am

walkercobsquared wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:48 pm

Interesting, in my experience after you're out of school for ~3 years no one gives 2 sh*ts where you went to undergrad. I work on a small team, but made up of mostly western europeans who went to powerhouse schools over there (Oxford, Durham, Naples, Aachen) and other than getting to know your colleagues, no one cares where we studied. They've listened to my plans and followed them, and i've listened to theirs and followed when it was better than mine. Hell, the man who leads us, and is undoubtedly the smartest and hardest working man started but didn't finish at Texas A&M. We just fired our CFO who did undergrad at Michigan and Ivy league MBA because he was an incompetent imbecile who often had to be told how to do his job by those of us without any corporate finance experience.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:23 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:07 am
I applied to UNC (and was accepted) because I was nominated for the Morehead Scholarship. If I had gotten that scholarship I probably would have gone there for financial reasons. I got an Honor's Scholarship from App and at the time I was still thinking about picking up a music degree so I very happily became a Mountaineer. I switched to business and ultimately accounting but I never regretted my decision. I worked with mostly grads from Wake and UNC during my public years and never felt they were better prepared.
I too, am an App Accounting graduate and one of my career highlights was when I was hired to replace a Carolina grad as the CFO of a locally based company. The owner worked a deal with the guy and he stayed on to bring me "up to speed" on the company. Which was helpful but I only needed like a day or two with the guy and it dragged on for several weeks which was annoying. The fired guy was a CPA also and actually also had an MBA from a mid-tier Virginia school, don't recall which one. Took me about 3 months to clean up his mess. I have to admit I smiled a bit as he boxed up his Carolina stuff...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”