Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Top 25 Watch (real thread)

hotrod2001
School: Appalachian State

Re: Top 25 Watch (real thread)

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:53 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:22 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:10 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:58 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:07 pm
Who is replacing UCONN in the AAC? Hard to believe they are actually in it to begin with.
They actually had success in the Big East Conference from 2007-2010. They were ranked at some point in three of those years and played in bowls 4 straight years capped by a Fiesta Bowl (BCS) appearance.

The Big East rolled into the American in 2013 and the 10 Team league included 6 Teams that moved over from the dissolved Big East (UConn, South Florida, Rutgers, Louisville, Cincinnati, & Temple). UCF, Memphis, Houston and SMU moved over from Conference USA to form the rest of the conference. (and Conference USA raided the Sun Belt)

Randy Edsell left in 2011 and there best record since then has been 6-7.
Winning four men’s basketball national titles in 16 years and being the Wooden-era UCLA of women’s hoops is a pretty decent resume to be in a good mid-major league regardless of football.
And i think that's what is driving their current athletic decisions. NCAA football is a tough sale in the Northeast and their basketball prowess will be fine back in the Big East. Football independence (outside of Notre Dame and BYU over the years) is a death sentence for your program.
Having your football stadium 23 miles off campus doesn't help.

That's like us playing games at the North WIlkesboro Speedway.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:15 am

So...technically, we are still ranked until Sunday. That being said, I think that if we beat South Carolina and win out, we could finish the season being ranked. I do think we need some help with someone beating Georgia Southern because if we don't play in our conference championship, that might end the possibility of being ranked again. When Boise State lost to unranked BYU, they went from being ranked 14 to 22. I imagine our fall will be greater, but still think we get votes and will be 5-8 spots out of the top 25.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:43 am

I think we get very few points next week - can't see many people voting for us immediately after that loss. But yes, if we can win out we'll get back eventually. I actually do think we can get ranked without playing in the SBC title game, though obviously having that extra game on championship Saturday would help.

If we beat SC, I think that would give voters a reason to start putting us back in (not that we'd be ranked immediately, but we could start building the vote total back up). If we don't, obviously we can forget about this thread for a while.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:01 am

Just to piss off all you debby downers that hate us talking about rankings (don't blame me, it's late and I am drunk and way too happy from the win to sleep)....

With the win against the mighty SEC coupled with some other losses to low ranking teams, we may find ourselves back in the rankings. The AP article recapping our game stated, "Appalachian State: The Mountaineers made a strong case to re-enter the national rankings." I figure if it is a strong enough argument for the AP to print it, then so could I. While many of the lower ranked teams were idle this week, Boise is currently losing to Wyoming, Iowa lost, Kansas State lost, Wake lost and SMU barely survived a scare against a really bad ECU team and non ranked but receiving votes UCF lost. If Wyoming can hold on, good chance we get back into the rankings this week. At the least, it's worth talking about.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:13 am

t4pizza wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:01 am
Just to piss off all you debby downers that hate us talking about rankings (don't blame me, it's late and I am drunk and way too happy from the win to sleep)....

With the win against the mighty SEC coupled with some other losses to low ranking teams, we may find ourselves back in the rankings. The AP article recapping our game stated, "Appalachian State: The Mountaineers made a strong case to re-enter the national rankings." I figure if it is a strong enough argument for the AP to print it, then so could I. While many of the lower ranked teams were idle this week, Boise is currently losing to Wyoming, Iowa lost, Kansas State lost, Wake lost and SMU barely survived a scare against a really bad ECU team and non ranked but receiving votes UCF lost. If Wyoming can hold on, good chance we get back into the rankings this week. At the least, it's worth talking about.
We're not out of the conversation yet I don't think. Didn't we fall to like 26, 27? Beating USC will definitely help, even if we're not back in there tomorrow if we keep winning I'd assume we'd make it back in by bowl time.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:23 am

hotrod2001 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:13 am
t4pizza wrote:

We're not out of the conversation yet I don't think. Didn't we fall to like 26, 27? Beating USC will definitely help, even if we're not back in there tomorrow if we keep winning I'd assume we'd make it back in by bowl time.
App should be ranked 25 on the coaches poll this week and likely the AP should they win until after Georgia State. The issue is what is the agenda of the selection committee? Minnesota is 17th? Penn state 4th,?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:43 am

t4pizza wrote:

We will be between 24-27. With SDSU, KSU, and Wake Forest all losing then App is in the conversation. The question will be if Texas A&M and Indiana move in coming off a bye week. Also, would Navy get passed or move up with them coming off a bye week. Another one to keep an eye on is Virginia Tech. They are 6-3 and just whipped a ranked Wake Forest team. Have to think they are 26-28 range if they don't move in 24 or 25.

But again the CFP is what matters and that is up in the air. My guess would be that we won't be in there but if so it would be 25. Here is my guess with the top teams just outside of the CFP below it. If we win next week and get a couple losses by teams 21-25 then we should be in. Too many teams on bye week unless the committee drops a team near the bottom who was on a bye.

Rank Team Record
1 LSU (9-0)
2 Ohio State (9-0)
3 Clemson (10-0)
4 Alabama (8-1)
5 Georgia (8-1)
6 Oregon (8-1)
7 Utah (8-1)
8 Oklahoma (8-1)
9 Minnesota (9-0)
10 Penn State (8-1)
11 Florida (8-2)
12 Auburn (7-2)
13 Wisconsin (7-2)
14 Baylor (9-0)
15 Michigan (7-2)
16 Notre Dame (7-2)
17 Cincinnati (8-1)
18 Memphis (8-1)
19 Texas (6-3)
20 Iowa (6-3)
21 Boise State (8-1)
22 Kansas State (6-3)
23 Oklahoma State (6-3)
24 Navy (7-1)
25 SMU (9-1)
Virginia Tech (6-3)
Indiana (7-2)
Texas A&M (6-3)
Appalachian State (8-1)

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:51 am

25 in ESPN’s power poll.

https://es.pn/2K3jHVu

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:02 am

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:09 am

After some of the dominoes that fell yesterday, I think we definitely are in the 24-28 range, and not surprised if we are in Top 25. If the AP and committee look at a close loss in adverse weather to a GaS team that has pushed quite a few teams this season, including the vaunted Golden Gophers, logic may win out. Wyoming wet the bed, they had Boise on the ropes and fell apart. Boise is awful and ought to atleast lose one more.
The Appalachian State

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:39 am

I doubt we’re ranked this week. Maybe in the coaches’. I think we gain votes, of course. Don’t think we’ll be in the CFP rankings and honestly not sure they’ll rank us at all this year. Probably if we get to 12-1 but not sure it happens before that.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:08 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:09 am
After some of the dominoes that fell yesterday, I think we definitely are in the 24-28 range, and not surprised if we are in Top 25. If the AP and committee look at a close loss in adverse weather to a GaS team that has pushed quite a few teams this season, including the vaunted Golden Gophers, logic may win out. Wyoming wet the bed, they had Boise on the ropes and fell apart. Boise is awful and ought to atleast lose one more.
I'm not sold on MWC this year. They have had some stud teams in the past but none of them seem out of our league for sure. Of course I'm sure they have seen some of our scores and are not wowed. I just know SC and UNC and Georgia Southern are better than Nevada, Wyoming, BYU, etc and those teams are beating those top teams out there.

I'm not sure what we did is enough to deserve to be ranked though. Texas clearly has to be ranked and not enough teams lost, plus teams ahead of us on a bye week.

When we were up 20-9 I was hoping for a 27-9 final but too much of the refs and our offense basically shut down. Zac Thomas is not the same as he was last year and I hate to say that. I still love his toughness. I keep wondering why he doesn't tuck and run earlier sometimes.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:58 am

Heck, I am not sold on the AAC. They have a great hype machine with all their Power 6 talk but at the end of the day what are they really? Cincy got a huge boost because they beat what was thought to be a good UCF team, well that team has 3 losses and Cincy is the best loss of the group. SMU barely beats ECU, Tulsa just beat UCF and has pushed several other teams, Navy has beaten nobody of import, Memphis looks to be the best of the AAC but we will see how they finish their schedule. I have watched several of these teams and honestly I think we beat them all. Of course the SunBelt doesn't have that 365 hype machine preaching "Power 6" on all media markets. It really does work because the perception of the strength of the AAC doesn't match the reality in my eyes.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:15 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:58 am
Heck, I am not sold on the AAC. They have a great hype machine with all their Power 6 talk but at the end of the day what are they really? Cincy got a huge boost because they beat what was thought to be a good UCF team, well that team has 3 losses and Cincy is the best loss of the group. SMU barely beats ECU, Tulsa just beat UCF and has pushed several other teams, Navy has beaten nobody of import, Memphis looks to be the best of the AAC but we will see how they finish their schedule. I have watched several of these teams and honestly I think we beat them all. Of course the SunBelt doesn't have that 365 hype machine preaching "Power 6" on all media markets. It really does work because the perception of the strength of the AAC doesn't match the reality in my eyes.
Both SMU and Cincinnati had to win shootouts with crappy ECU. I can’t either of those teams dragging our defense up and down the field.

General Moore

Unread post by General Moore » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:21 pm

t4pizza wrote:
100% Agree!! Perfectly said!!
I think our NY6 Hope's are alive and well again.
Some of the espn heads have said the same this morning.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:11 pm

General Moore wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:21 pm
t4pizza wrote:
100% Agree!! Perfectly said!!
I think our NY6 Hope's are alive and well again.
Some of the espn heads have said the same this morning.
We are #24 in coaches poll. I expect 25-27 range in AP poll. Depends on if Indiana and Texas A&M being on a bye week don't get much push. It would have been interesting had we won by 17 or 18 to see if we possibly don't get passed by Texas.

It is mathematically possible but many of the dominoes still have to fall. Not enough happened for me to say the needle moved on our chances yet.

For those wondering on NY6, you can see why I still say it is too early to even bring it up, here is what all we needed to happen.

1. We must win out. We have 4 tough games left.
2. Cincy must lose one more.
3. SMU must lose one more.
4. Memphis must lose one more.
5. Navy must lose one more. If they win out they will go.
6. Boise State must lose one more.
7. Louisiana Tech lose one more to be safe.
8. SDSU must lose one more- They did that.
9. UCF lose one more- They did lose so now they are gone too.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppStAlum2007

Unread post by AppStAlum2007 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:11 pm

Looks like we are #24 in the coaches poll

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:31 pm

I can't believe Louisiana, UCF, Air Force, and Wyoming are receiving votes in the coaches poll.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:07 pm

Texas and Iowa in the to 25 is a joke... 3 losses? Not top 25...

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:07 pm

We are first among others receiving votes in the AP, just four points behind Oklahoma St.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”