Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Top 25 Watch (real thread)

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Top 25 Watch (real thread)

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:02 pm

APP93 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:33 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:35 pm
APP93 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:22 am
Memphis seems to be the school getting the hype in the AAC this year as their best team. App had one common opponent with them, ULM...App won 52-7, Memphis won 52-33
Can't go by transitive property but I do think the top 3 in the SBC are right with them. The AAC has more money and bigger stadiums but I think SBC coaches do a great job of recruiting and evaluating talent for what they should be getting.
Not talking about transitive property, point is we all know that AAC top to bottom is much better conference than SB. But this year, in 2019, App would be right up their competing for a conference title in any G5 conference. Regardless of current ranking, Memphis is considered by many to be the best team in the AAC and the one with the inside track to NY6 game. But I would argue If App played them this year it would be a toss-up game. Fact of the matter is that the one common opponent between the two teams App beat by 45 (in Boone) and Memphis beat by 19 (at ULM). So does that mean App beats Memphis by 26 (45-19), of course that is not my point. But anyone suggesting App would have 2 or 3 losses in the AAC this year has not been paying attention.
Hey I'm the one saying the top 3 in the SBC could play with them meaning they could win the AAC. I'm not sold the league is so much better but the perception around the media is that the AAC is. The fact is a 1-loss AAC Champ will get the NY6 over a 1-loss SBC Champ unless the SBC Champ has wins over top 25 teams.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:58 am

Why do some App fans insist on stating things like, 'no way we get ranked again', 'no way we get in the Access Bowl', 'no way we move ahead of an AAC team', etc, etc. It is almost like Roachel Laney set up a bunch of accounts on here so he can remind us all continually about what App State can't do. I get so sick of hearing this garbage from our own fan base. Look, if you see the world that way fine, but why get on here and tell the rest of us that we can't dream big? I don't get it. Especially when this school and our team have proven time and again that we can attain whatever we dream. Yes, if we win out and beat a two loss Louisiana team for the SunBelt title, I think we are in SERIOUS conversations in that committee room about getting the Access Invite. Many of those guys are former coaches who know football and know when they watch the tape that we are the better team. And if you don't agree with me that is fine.. You can even tell me that but just don't be so dang smug, condescending and appear as if you are happy that you hold that position. EVERYONE should dream big, because if we don't we won't ever accomplish big things.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:15 am

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:58 am
Why do some App fans insist on stating things like, 'no way we get ranked again', 'no way we get in the Access Bowl', 'no way we move ahead of an AAC team', etc, etc. It is almost like Roachel Laney set up a bunch of accounts on here so he can remind us all continually about what App State can't do. I get so sick of hearing this garbage from our own fan base. Look, if you see the world that way fine, but why get on here and tell the rest of us that we can't dream big? I don't get it. Especially when this school and our team have proven time and again that we can attain whatever we dream. Yes, if we win out and beat a two loss Louisiana team for the SunBelt title, I think we are in SERIOUS conversations in that committee room about getting the Access Invite. Many of those guys are former coaches who know football and know when they watch the tape that we are the better team. And if you don't agree with me that is fine.. You can even tell me that but just don't be so dang smug, condescending and appear as if you are happy that you hold that position. EVERYONE should dream big, because if we don't we won't ever accomplish big things.
I agree totally. Some people are just inherently negative so that's their go-to. Some, I think, are just managing their own expectations and they don't want others to get excited about things like being ranked so that they don't have to handle the disappointment when you drop out.
Drink actually addressed the negativity syndrome in his press conference yesterday about how today's social media society drives some people to be first to be critical on-line.
Sometimes I feel like the college football world has more respect for our program than some of our own fans..

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:31 am

Rick83 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:15 am
t4pizza wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:58 am
I agree totally. Some people are just inherently negative so that's their go-to. Some, I think, are just managing their own expectations and they don't want others to get excited about things like being ranked so that they don't have to handle the disappointment when you drop out.
Drink actually addressed the negativity syndrome in his press conference yesterday about how today's social media society drives some people to be first to be critical on-line.
Sometimes I feel like the college football world has more respect for our program than some of our own fans..
The entire landscape of major college football has changed and mostly not for the better. For the P5's it seems like it's all or nothing, either make the playoff or the season is a failure. Hire a coach to often put out a dumpster fire (but give him one year to accomplish it). Oh well coach A didn't get it done in a year or a year and a half so fire him, pay $10M-$20M in a buyout and hope for the next savior. I am amazed that Texas A&M hasn't made a move yet. Mid tier P5's are not even happy to go 8-4 and get a nice bowl bid. And now at our level it is the NY6 bowl or season failure. We could go 12-1 with another conference championship then another bowl win and folks on this board would be unhappy. Maybe if we were not locked into the same old bowls and could possibly play in a better deal against a P5 team it would not seem so bad. Before this season started I for one fully expected to beat both of the Carolina's and honestly anticipated the undefeated season. I think it is awesome that we are regarded so highly nationally that we got ranked, lost and are still in the conversation. Not too shabby.

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:46 am

Not too shabby at all.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:43 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:31 am
We could go 12-1 with another conference championship then another bowl win and folks on this board would be unhappy.
This is very true, but I am not among those who would be unhappy. Folks complain about our bowl alignments in the SunBelt but that's what assures us that we don't get screwed despite having a successful season. Talk to Texas State and ULM fans about how it feels to be bowl eligible but still staying home. For those programs, 6 wins is a big deal! That should give us some perspective and some gratitude, even if we're heading back to New Orleans (hopefully not one of the others for obvious reasons).

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:05 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:43 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:31 am
We could go 12-1 with another conference championship then another bowl win and folks on this board would be unhappy.
This is very true, but I am not among those who would be unhappy. Folks complain about our bowl alignments in the SunBelt but that's what assures us that we don't get screwed despite having a successful season. Talk to Texas State and ULM fans about how it feels to be bowl eligible but still staying home. For those programs, 6 wins is a big deal! That should give us some perspective and some gratitude, even if we're heading back to New Orleans (hopefully not one of the others for obvious reasons).
I don't think anyone would be unhappy in the sense that we'd say the team didn't have a great year. Would some folks be disappointed that we had a Cotton Bowl trip within our grasp and let it get away? Sure, that's only natural.

Personally I'd be thrilled with another trip to New Orleans, especially at 12-1 and a top 25 ranking or better.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:28 pm

The negativity is coming from new fans who've never experienced the adversity. I'm 35 and realistically I've only experienced 2 or 3 bad seasons in my App State fandom. The 2003 (?) season - we went undefeated at home but winless on the road - and the FBS transition years. Others around here have endured uh-LOT more tough times.

Best way to deal with it is to explain it to them, not rip them apart for having lofty expectations. Turn those fair weather fans into all-terrain fans.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:38 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:28 pm
The negativity is coming from new fans who've never experienced the adversity. I'm 35 and realistically I've only experienced 2 or 3 bad seasons in my App State fandom. The 2003 (?) season - we went undefeated at home but winless on the road - and the FBS transition years. Others around here have endured uh-LOT more tough times.

Best way to deal with it is to explain it to them, not rip them apart for having lofty expectations. Turn those fair weather fans into all-terrain fans.
In the last 9 years of fandom, the roughest season I saw was 2014, followed by 2015. I don't really count 2014 either because it seemed like the plan was to develop everyone for FBS...

A lot of disappointing moments throughout the years, but nothing like a tragic season that some teams face more often than App.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:46 pm

UL with the 30th most votes in the Coaches Poll with 18. Doubt they can make it to top 25 before our game with them, but with a 53-3 win over Troy, they probably should be.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:24 pm

AP number 22

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:46 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:46 pm
UL with the 30th most votes in the Coaches Poll with 18. Doubt they can make it to top 25 before our game with them, but with a 53-3 win over Troy, they probably should be.
Does anyone think La has surpassed APP now based on comparing recent scores? They just beat Troy by 48 points and Vegas thinks APP is a 10.5 point favorite?
BLACK SATURDAY

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:04 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:46 pm
Does anyone think La has surpassed APP now based on comparing recent scores? They just beat Troy by 48 points and Vegas thinks APP is a 10.5 point favorite?
If both teams are playing to their potential, App is better overall. If yesterday’s App plays yesterday’s UL, we are in trouble.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:39 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:24 pm
AP number 22
Coaches #22 as well.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:49 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Without Sutton and looking at their scores I would expect most to pick them. They look much better than they did early in the year. People are enamored with NY6 hopes but not only do we need a lot to happen but we have to beat Troy and ULL. I think these next two wins will be as tough to get as UNC and South Carolina were.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:54 pm

APPdiesel wrote:

That season was brutal. I think you and I graduated same class
The Appalachian State

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:08 pm

Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:04 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
If both teams are playing to their potential, App is better overall. If yesterday’s App plays yesterday’s UL, we are in trouble.
Basing it on the eye test I expect to beat Troy. But UL has it out for us and we start out flat every game and wait to get kicked in the nads before we start playing. At the moment if you held a gun to me I’d go with LaLa.
BLACK SATURDAY

General Moore

Unread post by General Moore » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:25 pm

Would be awesome if they did! Imagine two top 25 teams playing in Boone!?
Love the thought of that

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:29 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:08 pm
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:04 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Basing it on the eye test I expect to beat Troy. But UL has it out for us and we start out flat every game and wait to get kicked in the nads before we start playing. At the moment if you held a gun to me I’d go with LaLa.
Nice post nailed it! Got to jump on em early.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:31 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:54 pm
APPdiesel wrote:

That season was brutal. I think you and I graduated same class
I'm older than both of you guys by a few years. I have seen us get beat by an 0-10 VMI, upset at home by ETSU (who was bad at the time), I went to those road games when we were a low seed and beat Troy down there after losing to them at home, I went to Boise State loss, UNH loss, and have seen the Sparky Woods era.

That 2003 season was very brutal. We were so up and down. The FBS transition years were tough times but yes we have seen rough and great years prior to that time period.

I'm trying not to be looked at as bias towards us when I talk to people. I look at teams and try to measure could we beat them or not. I feel like to truly be a top 25 team in the SBC you need to be a level above them all and really can't lose games to unranked G5 teams. That's why I'm not sure anyone but Cincy is a top 25 team from G5 level this year. I do feel like when healthy it would be 50/50 for us against just about every team from 19-35 range right now. I could see us beating ULL by 2 TDs at home or lose to them by 2 TDs.

We are about to go through a really tough stretch without Sutton and I am hopeful that we can overcome it and still look good. If we can win the next two and destroy CUSA in our bowl game then I will feel like we are still top 25 caliber without our best player. I'm just hesitant that losing Sutton will effect us more than people think. There are many times when a big time player goes down and teams then stop shifting focus to one, which gives others chances. I'm hopeful we can spread the ball out and really keep teams guessing.

This stretch without Sutton will tell us a lot about the heart of this group and the ability of our coaches. My guess is that if we do finish 13-1 we will be around 17-20 in the polls but these next 3 games are going to be super tough. One bit of good news is that we get Harrington back and hopefully Vic Johnson and others will be 100% for the bowl game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”