Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UL

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: UL

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:36 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:30 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:25 pm
Contrary to what some have posted. Looking at everything from ESPN, I'd say LaLa will be a 4-5 point favorite when the Vegas line comes out.
FPI is the least accurate of the computer rankings. Massey, colley, sp+ all have us favored. ESPN is the only one that has us losing.
Makes sense. ESPN employees Herbstreit, so....

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:13 pm

GastonApp09 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:14 am
I feel like the weeknight kickoff eliminates much of the home field advantage. This game will come down to who can stop the run the best. I think this will be by far the toughest matchup for us defensively based on what I have seen so far. Ragas is an absolute nightmare to stop, even more so than Lemay was for Charlotte, and we didn't do so hot against him. I don't think their QB will overwhelm us by any means but he can make about any throw on the field. He also loves to throw the slant which has given us problems all year. (Coastal didn't throw the slant enough IMO). I foresee it being a shootout with whoever has the ball last scoring the winning points.
The reason LeMay did so well was because of his patience. I’m not sure what to make of Ragas, but just being a good back wont beat us. This is why Carter struggled to get going against us in the UNC game. He had been solid for them to that po)not, but he didn’t have the patience to run on us.
The Appalachian State

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:21 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:13 pm
GastonApp09 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:14 am
I feel like the weeknight kickoff eliminates much of the home field advantage. This game will come down to who can stop the run the best. I think this will be by far the toughest matchup for us defensively based on what I have seen so far. Ragas is an absolute nightmare to stop, even more so than Lemay was for Charlotte, and we didn't do so hot against him. I don't think their QB will overwhelm us by any means but he can make about any throw on the field. He also loves to throw the slant which has given us problems all year. (Coastal didn't throw the slant enough IMO). I foresee it being a shootout with whoever has the ball last scoring the winning points.
The reason LeMay did so well was because of his patience. I’m not sure what to make of Ragas, but just being a good back wont beat us. This is why Carter struggled to get going against us in the UNC game. He had been solid for them to that po)not, but he didn’t have the patience to run on us.
It's not just Ragas(who is a stud), Mitchell is no slouch either. Our D needs to be flying around the field, with good angles and tackling, to slow down their offense. Lewis at QB may be the key to the game; if we sell out to keep those RBs in check he is explosive in the open field too. I'm praying we can implement a game plan that pushes him into airing it out and into bad throws.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:53 pm

How is #59?
BLACK SATURDAY

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:54 pm

If you have not been over to the RaginPagin message board, you need to. The Cajuns could teach all schools alums how to be hospitable. Total class.
And they can play football too. I hope we can return their hospitality.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:05 pm

AppAlum1 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:54 pm
If you have not been over to the RaginPagin message board, you need to. The Cajuns could teach all schools alums how to be hospitable. Total class.
Been reading your back and forth with them. They are overly hospitable. Nice to see, quite opposite of what I’ve seen on ArkSt, GS, UNCC etc.
The Appalachian State

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:52 am

VNova wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:06 am
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:57 pm
What's with these schools hating their real school name?
-- UNC Charlotte wanting to change to "The University of Charlotte"
-- Univ. of Louisiana Lafayette pretending they're "Louisiana"

Take some pride in your name, why don't ya? :lol:
To be fair, UNCC is almost like someone forgot the H in UNCCH or accidentally added an extra C to UNC.

Lets beat La and move on to the next.
I honestly do understand why the Charlotte fans prefer being called Charlotte. There is a genuine confusion when you say UNCC more often than you would think. I find that baffling, but I've seen it enough to know it's true. It is especially true if you go outside of the Carolinas. I find it personally amusing that they boast about being a "National" University and yet I can't find any independent source that lists them that way. Not intending to derails the thread but is there an official criteria for being called a "National University"?

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:10 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:36 pm
yosef69 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Contrary to what some have posted. Looking at everything from ESPN, I'd say LaLa will be a 4-5 point favorite when the Vegas line comes out.
FPI is the least accurate of the computer rankings. Massey, colley, sp+ all have us favored. ESPN is the only one that has us losing.
I don’t think he has a hate for us that some believe. Last year, before we lost at GS, he said that we may be better than UCF.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:16 am

AppinVA wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:10 am
AppSt94 wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
I don’t think he has a hate for us that some believe. Last year, before we lost at GS, he said that we may be better than UCF.
It was sarcasm too stir up the nest. 😂. Actually, Falica and the boys do like us. Some people can’t let go of the “cupcake” comment.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:10 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:52 am
VNova wrote:
SayYesToTheRock wrote:

To be fair, UNCC is almost like someone forgot the H in UNCCH or accidentally added an extra C to UNC.

I honestly do understand why the Charlotte fans prefer being called Charlotte. There is a genuine confusion when you say UNCC more often than you would think. I find that baffling, but I've seen it enough to know it's true. It is especially true if you go outside of the Carolinas. I find it personally amusing that they boast about being a "National" University and yet I can't find any independent source that lists them that way. Not intending to derails the thread but is there an official criteria for being called a "National University"?
It's based on the US News ranking terminology. Here are the definitions: https://www.usnews.com/education/best-c ... efinitions.

"National Universities: There are 399 National Universities in the country (211 public, 180 private and eight for-profit). The universities offer a full range of undergraduate majors, as well as master's and doctoral degrees; many strongly emphasize research. The Carnegie classification defines them as Doctoral Universities "very high research activity," Doctoral Universities "high research activity" and new in Carnegie's 2018 Update is the addition of the Doctoral/Professional Universities that grant professional practice doctoral degrees. These degrees, formerly referred to as "first professional degrees," include such degrees as the MD, JD, Pharm.D. and D.Div."

Back to the topic: I see the difference between UNCC wanting to be called Charlotte and UL Lafayette wanting to be called Louisiana. UNCC wants to have their own name, so to speak, separate from UNC. UL Lafayette is trying to make them sound like the flagship university of their system, akin to Louisiana State University in the LSU System.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:00 am

In Louisiana's defense, they went through the legal process of changing their name years ago and even had approval. My understanding is that LSU pulled their trump card and shot it down, having the approval rescinded. There's some understandable resentment there.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:16 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:52 am
VNova wrote:
SayYesToTheRock wrote:

I've even seen a UNCC alumnus friend of mine get confused by it.

Earlier in the summer we were talking about football games and I mentioned that I had tickets to the UNC game and he said something about UNCC and I had to correct him by letting him know that I was talking about the Tar Heel game, not the 49er game.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:39 am

AppinVA wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:10 am
AppSt94 wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
So Herbie jinxed us?
BLACK SATURDAY

Gnomeneer

Unread post by Gnomeneer » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:14 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:05 pm
AppAlum1 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:54 pm
Been reading your back and forth with them. They are overly hospitable. Nice to see, quite opposite of what I’ve seen on ArkSt, GS, UNCC etc.
The first season we played Louisiana, we happened to have been in New Orleans and were able to take our daughter and son-in-law (both Tulane grads - but wore App gear) to the game. Their fans treated us so well, food, drinks of all kind, and good nature rubbing. Next to our Montana trip, our most favorite road game. Just hate that it's on a Wednesday, as I would make an excuse to visit New Orleans again and just happen to find an excuse to go over to Lafayette.

Anyone that can, should make that roadtrip at least once.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:41 pm

The Cajuns look to be the most complete team in the SB so far this season. The UL punt returner was the Eagle's best offense giving the gnats short fields on back to back muffed punts, essentially gift wrapping GS 10 points.

Napier's O runs a lot of different formations and tempo, giving DC's quite a bit to think about. This may very well be the best OL App faces all season and seem to move better than they did under Hud. They opened up some massive holes against GS with RB's often reaching the 2nd level before being touched. Going into the GS game, Mitchell had not been tackled for a loss but GS did manage 2 TFL against Mitchell. App's DB's have got to shore up their open field tackling.

Lewis doesn't blow you away but does enough in the passing game to keep the D honest (196/gm--8TD/2INT). Bradley (#2) is their best WR with 22 catches and 4 TD's on the season. D needs to know where #2 is at all times. Bell is 2nd on the team in receptions (21). Ralston (#22) is their only TE who has scored and is a short yardage/red zone threat (4 rec/25 yds/2TDs).

Interesting UL stat: the Cajuns have lost at least 1 fumble in each game against FBS competition.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:39 am

From a UL fan on the SunBelt board:

"There isn’t an OL that’s close to the Cajuns in the SBC. There aren’t many better OL in any G5 league. Just like the Georgia Southern fans last week, they will see when the App DL gets dominated in the same fashion.

That doesn’t mean we will win, just that our offensive line will flat out dominate this conference."

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:41 am

biggie wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:39 am
From a UL fan on the SunBelt board:

"There isn’t an OL that’s close to the Cajuns in the SBC. There aren’t many better OL in any G5 league. Just like the Georgia Southern fans last week, they will see when the App DL gets dominated in the same fashion.

That doesn’t mean we will win, just that our offensive line will flat out dominate this conference."
The must have missed when our DL obliterated a P5 OL two weeks ago.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:44 am

The UL OL will likely be the best we face this year. That group has been the prime reason for their success thus far.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:46 am

hapapp wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:44 am
The UL OL will likely be the best we face this year. That group has been the prime reason for their success thus far.
Scares me to death.
BLACK SATURDAY

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:53 am

John-N-Houston wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:31 pm
There is a restaurant in Houston called The Ragin’ Cajun. They serve great crawfish with all the fixin’s; thick, hot red beans and rice with andouille sausage; big, round and spicy boudin balls, Natchitoches Meat Pies (pronounced nak-uh-tish) and a spicy gumbo with a perfect roux. You can order a shrimp po-boy if you have the nerve, but expect a cold, steely-eyed stare from the owner if you do!

The only issue is that the restaurant is owned by Ragin’ Cajun alums! Old UL annuals are stacked everywhere and the walls are papered with Ragin’ Cajun news clips, photos and memorabilia! I can’t decide if I should go there to watch the game or not. Might have to be a game-day decision.
What's the difference between going there or to a visiting stadium. With mutual respect from both sides it could be a great place to watch the game. At least they will be interested in the game, unlike other bars.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”