Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Observations 5 games in (long)

CoffeyHall08
School: Appalachian State

Observations 5 games in (long)

Unread post by CoffeyHall08 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:49 pm

As with any major coaching staff overhaul, I was nervous as to whether or not Drinkwitz would be able to pick up where Satterfield left off. Our football team has made its living on overachieving. That is directly related to great coaching. We win and stay competitive in a lot of games that, based on the "star power" of our roster, we probably shouldn't be in.

That being said, I've been pleasantly surprised that from my perspective, Drinkwitz has mostly been an improvement over Satterfield. I know...blasphemy. We're 5 games in. There's a lot of time for him to tank the program. We don't know anything about the type of recruits he'll be bringing in, but solely from a coaching perspective, Drinkwitz has done an excellent job.

Our offense has maintained its potency and increased its creativity. Our defense has been pretty suspect in pass coverage, but we've come to play when it matters and hopefully some of the sloppy coverage has had more to do with a scheme change and a new coach, and less to do with ineptitude on that front. Our run defense has been excellent.

One of the biggest improvements I've noticed is our CLOCK MANAGEMENT. Holy hell...that was my biggest gripe with Satterfield. The Penn St. game was lost because of poor clock management (our last drive that put us ahead by a TD...should have drained the clock and kicked a field goal...but anyway...). There were so many times over the Satterfield era where we needed to slow the offense down and drain the clock, and instead it was like he called a 2-minute drill and rocketed us down the field, giving the opposing team too much time to make something happen or get back in the game.

I always appreciated Satterfield's aggression, but he was often aggressive to his own detriment. Drinkwitz has shown that when we need to slow it down and bleed the other team dry, he not only is willing to do it, but he does it masterfully. Long drives in the 4th quarter against UNC and now ULL have put US in control of the game and put the opposing team in a terrible position to come back and tie or win. Clock management is one of those things that goes unappreciated until it's a problem - similar to special teams play.

Sure, Drinkwitz seems to have his flaws...like occasionally being too creative for his own good (that weird fumblerooskie crap last night, for example), but as a whole, I'm excited about the future. Drinkwitz seems to have an attention to detail that Satterfield didn't. Like I said, there's plenty of time for stuff to go south, but as of right now, it looks as though we're in very competent hands.

Sorry for the long post. Go Apps.

app97

Re: Observations 5 games in (long)

Unread post by app97 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:55 pm

Agreed, and now my (maybe slightly premature) thoughts are that we could very easily lose him to a buyout by a P5 earlier than we would like. But, trust DG, unless he’s gone soon too.

CoffeyHall08

Unread post by CoffeyHall08 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:00 pm

app97 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:55 pm
Agreed, and now my (maybe slightly premature) thoughts are that we could very easily lose him to a buyout by a P5 earlier than we would like. But, trust DG, unless he’s gone soon too.
It's the tragic double-edged sword of being a successful G5 program...my thoughts exactly. If we run the table with Drinkwitz and beat S.Car, you bet that guy will be getting offers he can't refuse.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:21 pm

I don't think that his wife and girls have experienced a Boone winter. Hope they like it.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:32 pm

I think Drink has to be here at least 2 years for the offers to come in. I really think he will need 3 good years.

FTE_rawr

Unread post by FTE_rawr » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:35 pm

app97 wrote:
Keep in mind, that while he has been an EXCELLENT coach so far this year, he has yet to prove himself through recruiting. This is a BIG factor that P5s look for. We've at least got him for another year.
---------------------------------------------
Class of '19

Mainly a reddit user, skimming message boards for App News.

Come talk at /r/CFB and /r/sunbelt

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:40 pm

FTE_rawr wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:35 pm
app97 wrote:
Keep in mind, that while he has been an EXCELLENT coach so far this year, he has yet to prove himself through recruiting. This is a BIG factor that P5s look for. We've at least got him for another year.
I would say at least 2, no more than 3. Gives P5 brands time to see him recruit and develop a class of talent. Satterfield was with us for 6 years, which gave him time to recruit and develop a class for 4 years. We'll have to see where we're at with Drink's recruits and their development in a few years.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:44 pm

I liked the "fumblerooskie" play call. Lala was pinning their ears back and it almost worked. Would have been genius if it had gone off.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:48 pm

My guess from the start - assuming he does well - was two years. But if we go 12-1 or certainly 13-0, you guys are fooling yourselves if you think bigger schools won't be taking a serious look at Drink.

Also blaming Satt's clock management at Penn State is a reach. It's not his fault they couldn't tackle Jalin Moore on that TD run. And while I also hoped it would work out to drain the clock more, after what happened vs. Tennessee and Wake, perhaps we could excuse him for not wanting to trust the game to his kicker.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:00 pm

My observation.... Lala was overrated. We are the only ones that can stop us this year. Period.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:02 pm

app97 wrote:
Keep in mind that being a successful head coach is based on three major factors:

1. Results on the field
2. Recruiting
3. Locker room and personnel

We have only been exposed to one of these three elements so far. Clearly, he is an impressive coach in terms of on the field things, but it's only 5 games. Recruiting can be evaluated within two to three seasons. Locker room and personnel is a harder thing to know, especially if a program is good about keeping it insulated. This is his first stint being a personnel manager. It may sound easy enough, but this is probably the hardest aspect of the job. Your dealing with young kids, fans, University personnel, boosters, parents, and fellow coaches and staff. And most of all.each one of these people's EGO. Outside of a super high profile OC job, he would only be lured away by another HC position. Said school will be doing their due diligence on the three main categories above, and that will require some history.

Let's enjoy him while he is here. App has always been bigger than the coaches, we wouldn't be where we are at if it was all about the coaches. If Drink takes us to great heights, it will bring more recruits and higher level coach prospects. That's the way it works.
The Appalachian State

CoffeyHall08

Unread post by CoffeyHall08 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:14 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:48 pm
Also blaming Satt's clock management at Penn State is a reach. It's not his fault they couldn't tackle Jalin Moore on that TD run. And while I also hoped it would work out to drain the clock more, after what happened vs. Tennessee and Wake, perhaps we could excuse him for not wanting to trust the game to his kicker.
All good points. Clock management wasn't the only reason for the PSU loss for sure...but it was definitely a situation where, had he slowed down a tad, we would have put ourselves into a better situation to win.

Very true on the kicking game...Rubino was pretty frustrating at times.

CoffeyHall08

Unread post by CoffeyHall08 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:24 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
My guess from the start - assuming he does well - was two years. But if we go 12-1 or certainly 13-0, you guys are fooling yourselves if you think bigger schools won't be taking a serious look at Drink.
Also, this. There are enough desperate P5 programs out there that will take a chance on a guy who goes 12-1/13-0 with no long term track record or recruiting class. There are enough AD's out there more than willing to hand a program over to a hot name.

Miami and Manny Diaz come to mind. Their AD handed a major P5 brand over to a coordinator that likely would have been well served to cut his teeth at Temple. Instead he's 2-3 with a pretty stacked roster.

Drink will get offers if he pulls off a dominant season.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:27 pm

CoffeyHall08 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:24 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Also, this. There are enough desperate P5 programs out there that will take a chance on a guy who goes 12-1/13-0 with no long term track record or recruiting class. There are enough AD's out there more than willing to hand a program over to a hot name.

Miami and Manny Diaz come to mind. Their AD handed a major P5 brand over to a coordinator that likely would have been well served to cut his teeth at Temple. Instead he's 2-3 with a pretty stacked roster.

right. the desperate teams are the ones that concern me. Arkansas come to mind since Drink is from down there.
The Appalachian State

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:27 pm

CoffeyHall08 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:14 pm
Well he got to move on and suit up in baby blue. Then watch his former teammates waltz into Chapel-Hill and walk out with a W. :)
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:37 pm

CoffeyHall08 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:49 pm
As with any major coaching staff overhaul, I was nervous as to whether or not Drinkwitz would be able to pick up where Satterfield left off. Our football team has made its living on overachieving. That is directly related to great coaching. We win and stay competitive in a lot of games that, based on the "star power" of our roster, we probably shouldn't be in.

That being said, I've been pleasantly surprised that from my perspective, Drinkwitz has mostly been an improvement over Satterfield. I know...blasphemy. We're 5 games in. There's a lot of time for him to tank the program. We don't know anything about the type of recruits he'll be bringing in, but solely from a coaching perspective, Drinkwitz has done an excellent job.

Our offense has maintained its potency and increased its creativity. Our defense has been pretty suspect in pass coverage, but we've come to play when it matters and hopefully some of the sloppy coverage has had more to do with a scheme change and a new coach, and less to do with ineptitude on that front. Our run defense has been excellent.

One of the biggest improvements I've noticed is our CLOCK MANAGEMENT. Holy hell...that was my biggest gripe with Satterfield. The Penn St. game was lost because of poor clock management (our last drive that put us ahead by a TD...should have drained the clock and kicked a field goal...but anyway...). There were so many times over the Satterfield era where we needed to slow the offense down and drain the clock, and instead it was like he called a 2-minute drill and rocketed us down the field, giving the opposing team too much time to make something happen or get back in the game.

I always appreciated Satterfield's aggression, but he was often aggressive to his own detriment. Drinkwitz has shown that when we need to slow it down and bleed the other team dry, he not only is willing to do it, but he does it masterfully. Long drives in the 4th quarter against UNC and now ULL have put US in control of the game and put the opposing team in a terrible position to come back and tie or win. Clock management is one of those things that goes unappreciated until it's a problem - similar to special teams play.

Sure, Drinkwitz seems to have his flaws...like occasionally being too creative for his own good (that weird fumblerooskie crap last night, for example), but as a whole, I'm excited about the future. Drinkwitz seems to have an attention to detail that Satterfield didn't. Like I said, there's plenty of time for stuff to go south, but as of right now, it looks as though we're in very competent hands.

That's odd. On the chat last night, one or two were talking about the play calling being too vanilla.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

App91

Unread post by App91 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:05 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:37 pm
CoffeyHall08 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:49 pm

That's odd. On the chat last night, one or two were talking about the play calling being too vanilla.
He has shown that he does go thru periods of vanilla, ie; no passing plays in the last 20 game clock mins of the game in Chapel Hill. 3rd. qtrs seem to be slow, but overall think it is very good.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:42 pm

mike87 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:44 pm
I liked the "fumblerooskie" play call. Lala was pinning their ears back and it almost worked. Would have been genius if it had gone off.
One of those genius if works fool if it don’t situations when that play was called

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:04 pm

moonshine wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:27 pm
CoffeyHall08 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:14 pm
Well he got to move on and suit up in baby blue. Then watch his former teammates waltz into Chapel-Hill and walk out with a W. :)
...and the mouths of App State fans curved into ironic smiles.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:32 pm

CoffeyHall08 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:24 pm
EastHallApp wrote:

Let's not forget the Arkansas State carousel from just a few years ago. He could certainly get good offers after this season.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”