Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

How do we keep Drinkwitz!?!?

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: How do we keep Drinkwitz!?!?

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:20 pm

ASU-FTW wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:43 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:37 pm
ASU-FTW wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:23 pm
Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves and enjoy the ride for now. It's too early this season to speculate about Drinkwitz leaving us. And this is coming from a guy who likes to talk about future games, rankings, and hates the 1-0 crap.
It is indeed way too far ahead. We should have him for two years at least. Then after that who knows.

I would not hate on the team using that 1-0 mentality. That is the EXACT mentality you need in football. That is what Alabama, Patriots, Clemson, etc. all go by and they dominate. Embrace 1-0 because that is the new norm. Drink is going to keep this team focused with it. You can't overlook anyone. If you think that then tell 2007 Michigan, our team from mid 90s when we played 0-10 VMI, and tell Georgia from this weekend when they faced South Carolina. We truly need to take it week by week. Nothing is guaranteed.
I should have clarified my comment t to mean I'm not a fan of touting the 1-0 mantra from a fan standpoint. I'm fully supportive of the team implementing that mentality however but as a fan I like to look ahead.
You didn't need to clarify - he's heard that a thousand times from countless different people. He just doesn't care.

General Moore

Unread post by General Moore » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:30 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:20 pm
ASU-FTW wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ASU-FTW wrote:
Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves and enjoy the ride for now. It's too early this season to speculate about Drinkwitz leaving us. And this is coming from a guy who likes to talk about future games, rankings, and hates the 1-0 crap.
It is indeed way too far ahead. We should have him for two years at least. Then after that who knows.

I would not hate on the team using that 1-0 mentality. That is the EXACT mentality you need in football. That is what Alabama, Patriots, Clemson, etc. all go by and they dominate. Embrace 1-0 because that is the new norm. Drink is going to keep this team focused with it. You can't overlook anyone. If you think that then tell 2007 Michigan, our team from mid 90s when we played 0-10 VMI, and tell Georgia from this weekend when they faced South Carolina. We truly need to take it week by week. Nothing is guaranteed.
I should have clarified my comment t to mean I'm not a fan of touting the 1-0 mantra from a fan standpoint. I'm fully supportive of the team implementing that mentality however but as a fan I like to look ahead.
You didn't need to clarify - he's heard that a thousand times from countless different people. He just doesn't care.
:lol: :lol:

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:40 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:40 pm
Gratefulneer wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:13 pm
I know we’ve got some time. This team was built by coaches that are over at Louisville now. However, Drinkwitz and his staff are doing a damn good job building on what was inherited. If Drinkwitz can recruit as good as he can coach, offers are going to be flying in!

My hopes are that Drinkwitz is looking at the bigger picture and a future with App. Hopefully he sees what can come from this seasoned team in its infancy of a FBS football transition. We need someone that can continue our growth and get us ready should another alignment happen. I think Drinkwitz is that guy.

The question is... how does a team in the Sunbelt hold on to someone like Drinkwitz. Assuming we can’t pay what some of these P5 conference teams can offer, how do we keep App from being a stepping stone school for coaches.
First of all we have a while because I have seen nothing about him leaving.

Second, there is nothing we can do other than pay money. It all comes down to money. Satt would have stayed had we paid him 2M a year.

We need a rich booster to come in and pony up the money to keep these coaches if we don't want to lose them. Plain and simple.
How do you know Satterfield would have stayed for that? He is still making 2X that at UL. I think it was as much about proving/challenging himself on the biggest stage as it was money. He said he had already accomplished all he could at App (which I strongly disagree with).
This is the reality of our university. We have been spoiled with 3 coaches in 30 years. As much as I hate to think about it, we will probably go through a transition about every 3 years. And we can’t always expect them to go as seamlessly as this one has. We need to enjoy this while we can. I think our strong tradition and culture can survive hard times, but it is very hard to maintain this level of success at this level of football . DG is a great AD and made the right hire this time. I just hope he is still here when we make the next, and I hope that is a really long time away.

Ncmtn

Unread post by Ncmtn » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:27 pm

How do we keep him? We can’t. If we couldn’t even keep one of our own in Satterfield. There will always be more money and larger programs. Jerry Moore was an anomaly and a very very very rare example of staying at a small program even after reaching great success and getting offers elsewhere. It just doesn’t happen. Drink will be gone in 1-3 years if the current success continues. It will be an ever revolving door. Just look at the other successful sunbelt teams and how often they change head coach. What sucks is if I could be a successful coach at app and making more money than 98% of Americans to freakin coach app state football. I would never ever leave. There are probably many people who feel that way themselves, but none of them are successful college coaches I imagine.

Trock44

Unread post by Trock44 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:26 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:25 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:39 pm
Gratefulneer wrote:
I know we’ve got some time. This team was built by coaches that are over at Louisville now. However, Drinkwitz and his staff are doing a damn good job building on what was inherited. If Drinkwitz can recruit as good as he can coach, offers are going to be flying in!

My hopes are that Drinkwitz is looking at the bigger picture and a future with App. Hopefully he sees what can come from this seasoned team in its infancy of a FBS football transition. We need someone that can continue our growth and get us ready should another alignment happen. I think Drinkwitz is that guy.

The question is... how does a team in the Sunbelt hold on to someone like Drinkwitz. Assuming we can’t pay what some of these P5 conference teams can offer, how do we keep App from being a stepping stone school for coaches.
If Zac Thomas get a significant injury. One play away from going in the crapper.
Not necessarily. Given our running game and the receiving corps, I think that we can be alright. The offense that Drink ran at State is right for Huesman’s game.
Huesman has been a signal caller. I don’t believe he’s the backup anymore. David Baldwin from IMG Academy will probably come in if Zac goes down.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:37 am

Trock44 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:26 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Gratefulneer wrote:

If Zac Thomas get a significant injury. One play away from going in the crapper.
Not necessarily. Given our running game and the receiving corps, I think that we can be alright. The offense that Drink ran at State is right for Huesman’s game.
Huesman has been a signal caller. I don’t believe he’s the backup anymore. David Baldwin from IMG Academy will probably come in if Zac goes down.
Huesman has already been in a game this year. Was he demoted?

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:54 am

Gratefulneer wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:43 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:18 pm
It's apparent from Drinks journey that he's not the kind of coach like J Moore was. He isn't going to stick around once those big offers roll in. Just a fact. I just wonder how many coaching transitions this program can handle. We will never have the money to compete with P5 programs so we will always be loosing coaches....... Of course we see P5 programs with crappy coaches.... So who knows.
Yea that’s my concern, how many transitions can this program handle.
The good ones find a way. We did it, UCF did it, Boise State did it, NDSU did it. We're officially a top-25 caliber program with a storied history. If we lose Drink we will get another good candidate who knows what is expected of them.

And seriously, jeez...we go from wondering about the top 25 to when we lose our coach. Do we need to get a Harvey Keitel meme in here?

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:09 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Gratefulneer wrote:

Hope we don't get to see who is more right in this conundrum.
BLACK SATURDAY

PJ42

Unread post by PJ42 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:06 am

Perhaps a bigger question is how do you keep Zac Thomas next year? Not sure how close he is to graduating.... but in today's world, he could easily pull a GA transfer to a bigger school. At this pace, it could be argued... what does he have left to prove? Could definitely see Power5 school try to "lure" him away...

mbnc

Unread post by mbnc » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:16 am

Agree with the others. There just aren't many Jerry Moore types out there who spend 30+ years at the same school, even at the highest echelons of the game. He was the exception, Satterfield was the rule. I'd say if you get five good seasons out of a coach (and part with him on good terms), you did pretty well.

Being a very good G5 program makes us an ideal next step for ambitious, talented coaches. That means every time there's an opening, there's going to be quite a few qualified candidates to choose from. Maybe one day we'll get a P5 invitation and/or build a program strong enough to be ranked week in and week out. But even then, there will always be bigger, richer, and more prestigious schools ready to lure away a good coach.

As it is with any other high-turnover profession, the best we can do is keep bringing in up-and-coming coaches, give them the resources they need to push the program forward, and wish them well when they move on.

MountainMan2020

Unread post by MountainMan2020 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:47 am

PJ42 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:06 am
Perhaps a bigger question is how do you keep Zac Thomas next year? Not sure how close he is to graduating.... but in today's world, he could easily pull a GA transfer to a bigger school. At this pace, it could be argued... what does he have left to prove? Could definitely see Power5 school try to "lure" him away...

If the “California” version of the NIL legislation is applied across the board, then expect to see a lot more of these transfers going forward.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:15 am

PJ42 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:06 am
Starters aren't the guys that generally transfer. Zac will finish his career at App.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:17 am

Honestly, I don't know what opportunities Jerry Moore might have had, but I kind of doubt he was turning down P5s right and left. He was in his early 50s when App hired him, with a failed stint as a Big 12 HC on his record. Then for his first decade-plus at App, he ran a nice program that won some conference titles and made the playoffs a lot, but didn't really do anything that would dazzle 1-A ADs. By the time we started winning national titles, he was in his mid-60s, so basically "aged out" for bigger schools to come after him.

And frankly, if you're looking to get a longer stay out of a coach, that's one way to go - hire an older coach, esp. one who's been fired as a P5 HC before. Those guys are just less likely to be in demand for bigger jobs.

Otherwise, your best bet is probably to go the Boise route and try to hire "in the family" in order to maintain continuity across transitions and *hopefully* retain coaches at least a little longer.

UCF's ability to stay relevant is TBD because they haven't gone that route. They built their program by hiring one of those older coaches with a blemish on his resume (no pun intended) in O'Leary, although they fell apart in his last year. But he was there a decade and took the program from basically nothing to winning the Fiesta Bowl. Since he's left, they've hired two young coaches who have no connection to the school or even the state of Florida in Frost and Heupel. Obviously both have worked out well in the short term; how long can you maintain that kind of success when you're doing a full reboot every couple years? I think that's tough, but we'll see.
Last edited by EastHallApp on Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:34 am

Donate more to Yosef and tell your friends to do the same.

I bet most of y'all give as much money as you can, but I bet you don't pitch Yosef to your casual fan, App Grad friends as often as you can. I'm stepping it up this year and giving every App grad I know a sales pitch. The time is NOW! Tell them to get in on the ground floor.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:47 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:17 am
Honestly, I don't know what opportunities Jerry Moore might have had, but I kind of doubt he was turning down P5s right and left. He was in his early 50s when App hired him, with a failed stint as a Big 12 HC on his record. The for his first decade-plus at App, he ran a nice program that won some conference titles and made the playoffs a lot, but didn't really do anything that would dazzle 1-A ADs. By the time we started winning national titles, he was in his mid-60s, so basically "aged out" for bigger schools to come after him.

And frankly, if you're looking to get a longer stay out of a coach, that's one way to go - hire an older coach, esp. one who's been fired as a P5 HC before. Those guys are just less likely to be in demand for bigger jobs.

Otherwise, your best bet is probably to go the Boise route and try to hire "in the family" in order to maintain continuity across transitions and *hopefully* retain coaches at least a little longer.

UCF's ability to stay relevant is TBD because they haven't gone that route. They built their program by hiring one of those older coaches with a blemish on his resume (no pun intended) in O'Leary, although they fell apart in his last year. But he was there a decade and took the program from basically nothing to winning the Fiesta Bowl. Since he's left, they've hired two young coaches who have no connection to the school or even the state of Florida in Frost and Heupel. Obviously both have worked out well in the short term; how long can you maintain that kind of success when you're doing a full reboot every couple years? I think that's tough, but we'll see.
UCF if run right can't help but be successful, they are right in the sweet spot of football recruiting, basketball too - money sports. A coach worth his salt should be able to keep parlaying their success into more of the same. Now if their AD is worth his salt will parlay everything they have going for them geographically into being grabbed by the ACC or SEC in the next expansion, which is on the horizon. Time will tell.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:33 am

ASU-FTW wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ASU-FTW wrote:

I use to be that same way but I often got disappointed and the things I dreamed about never happened half the time. I have thought about how big it would be if South Carolina now beat Florida, Tenn, and Vandy and this was a game between ranked teams.

I have learned every team deserves respect. I don't want any team to think poorly of our players, fans, coaches, etc. I saw what South Carolina did at UGA and that is just awful. Our students and players should be ashamed if they ever did something like that.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:11 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Honestly, I don't know what opportunities Jerry Moore might have had, but I kind of doubt he was turning down P5s right and left. He was in his early 50s when App hired him, with a failed stint as a Big 12 HC on his record. Then for his first decade-plus at App, he ran a nice program that won some conference titles and made the playoffs a lot, but didn't really do anything that would dazzle 1-A ADs. By the time we started winning national titles, he was in his mid-60s, so basically "aged out" for bigger schools to come after him.

Have you ever said anything good about Coach Moore? I doubt it.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:24 pm

How did we ever get such a quality coach being in the SunBelch? :o

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:57 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:11 pm
EastHallApp wrote:

Have you ever said anything good about Coach Moore? I doubt it.
You must track my posts more closely than I do.

Jerry Moore obviously had a fantastic record at App and is deservedly in the HOF.

Now, back to the present...

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:23 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:57 pm
You must track my posts more closely than I do.

Jerry Moore obviously had a fantastic record at App and is deservedly in the HOF.

Now, back to the present...
Obviously you don't care what our friend thinks. But I don't you said anything out of the way about Coach Moore. This is a fun discussion, albeit a bit premature.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”