Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Fun to think about....What If.....I know you have thought it

ggasu

Fun to think about....What If.....I know you have thought it

Unread post by ggasu » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:32 pm

South Carolina beats Florida on Saturday. Wins out except us. Wins the SEC east. (Missouri is going to lose at least 2) and gets to the SEC championship game

North Carolina wins out....really wins out... ACC Champ

We win out

Would the committee really leave out an undefeated team that beat the ACC champ on the road and a participate in the SEC championship on the road?

appst89
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: Fun to think about....What If.....I know you have thought it

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:38 pm

ggasu wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:32 pm
South Carolina beats Florida on Saturday. Wins out except us. Wins the SEC east. (Missouri is going to lose at least 2) and gets to the SEC championship game

We win out

Would the committee really leave out an undefeated team that beat the ACC champ on the road and a participate in the SEC championship on the road?
Yes, they would.

sfoal308

Unread post by sfoal308 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:39 pm

ggasu wrote:

We win out

Not only would they leave us out of the CFP, there's a chance they'd leave us out of the NY6

ggasu

Unread post by ggasu » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:46 pm

appst89 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:38 pm
ggasu wrote:

We win out

Yes, they would.
Fair Enough....But would really push the conversation to 8 or 12team playoff sooner because of it

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:53 pm

I posted a similar scenario on another existing thread. My question centered around whether App or Boise would be chosen, assuming that we are the last two G5 undefeated remaining. My scenario also included UNC winning the coastal and USC going at least 6-6 with their marquee win over UGA. Boise has beaten FSU and Marshall, neither of which has set the world on fire. To me the majority of the MWC is on par with most of the Sunbelt so conference results should be close to a wash. We probably needed at least one stronger non-conference opponent and win besides the first two.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:54 pm

The only way App would even get mentioned for the playoff based on your scenario would require every P5 team to have 4+ losses. Notice I said "mentioned" because the committee would probably spend all of about 10 seconds before discarding App from contention. Even in this hypothetical scenario, I don't see App leapfrogging Boise for NY6 if the Broncos win out.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:57 pm

That scenario would make us the UCF of 2019. Except we'd be better because we aren't in Florida and we're not UCF. :D

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:01 pm

App could score 300 points a game, while holding all remaining opponents scoreless and still not make the playoff, even in the original scenario. It would take 5-7 years of top 15 play for App to ever even realistically be included in the conversation. Even then, the plausibility of us making a 4 team playoff is about as good as my chances of getting married to Jennifer Lawrence. In other words, it could happen, but it won't.
Give 'em hell!

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:02 pm

ggasu wrote:

We win out

You must be new to this whole thing :lol:

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:02 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:53 pm
I posted a similar scenario on another existing thread. My question centered around whether App or Boise would be chosen, assuming that we are the last two G5 undefeated remaining. My scenario also included UNC winning the coastal and USC going at least 6-6 with their marquee win over UGA. Boise has beaten FSU and Marshall, neither of which has set the world on fire. To me the majority of the MWC is on par with most of the Sunbelt so conference results should be close to a wash. We probably needed at least one stronger non-conference opponent and win besides the first two.
Oh yeah and I am only talking about the NY6 Bowl. Under no circumstances would we be considered for the playoff no matter how anything shakes out for us or the other 129 FBS teams.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:04 pm

No G5 team will ever make the CFP in the current format. UCF proved this. Our “National Championship” is the NY6 bowl until further notice. And even that is insanely challenging to do.
YNWA

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:10 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:01 pm
App could score 300 points a game, while holding all remaining opponents scoreless and still not make the playoff, even in the original scenario. It would take 5-7 years of top 15 play for App to ever even realistically be included in the conversation. Even then, the plausibility of us making a 4 team playoff is about as good as my chances of getting married to Jennifer Lawrence. In other words, it could happen, but it won't.
I actually did this on one of the NCAA football video games and still did not get the championship. I did the next year as I jumped from the SB to the SEC I think. This might have been the 07 NCAA game so I had App playing up into the FBS.

Also Jennifer Lawrence is getting married soon so best hurry on that one.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:13 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:10 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:01 pm
I actually did this on one of the NCAA football video games and still did not get the championship. I did the next year as I jumped from the SB to the SEC I think. This might have been the 07 NCAA game so I had App playing up into the FBS.

Also Jennifer Lawrence is getting married soon so best hurry on that one.
I miss the old NCAA games. I remember playing with Ritchie Williams, Fowlkes, Sterling, etc. Good times.
The Appalachian State

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:18 pm

I don't think there is any scenario this year (or in foreseeable future) where App gets in the playoff discussion.I don't care who we have on our out of conference schedule, we don't play in a tough enough league to get in that discussion.
As others have said, in that scenario, we would be lucky to even get a NY6 game.
We are the Rodney Dangerfield of the FBS; and somewhat rightfully so while the sunbelt is at the current level of competition.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:21 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:02 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:53 pm
Oh yeah and I am only talking about the NY6 Bowl. Under no circumstances would we be considered for the playoff no matter how anything shakes out for us or the other 129 FBS teams.
There is a great divide in talent and depth between the top teams and G5, not sure I want to see APP be a sacrificial lamb in this hypothetical situation in an expanded playoff and get curb stomped by 30+ points. There is even a great divide in the top 1-2 and 3-4 teams if you look at the recent playoffs based on the scores.

Anyway, there is likely going to be another change with part being G5 having their own playoff.
BLACK SATURDAY

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:26 pm

Without Clemson the ACC would be on the level of the top G5 conferences.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:31 pm

Here is a scenario (albeit so far fetched, I’m more likely to win the lottery)....

App State has an all P5 out of conference schedule and goes undefeated. Two of the P5 teams end up being conference champions (one atleast being an SEC team). The two P5 conference champions end up only having 1 loss (to us) and both are top candidates for the Top4 and no P5 is undefeated. The third P5 needs to be an above average team with a decent history of success and probably needs to qualify for a bowl.

Our SunBelt conference record needs to be flawless. Hold teams to single digits, or low teens and our offense needs to be heavy with laying on the points. 30+ points per game.

With these factors, I think we, or any G5 could get some serious thought at a playoff spot. But even then, I feel like it would be argued.
Last edited by appstatealum on Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Appalachian State

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:32 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:21 pm
...not sure I want to see APP be a sacrificial lamb in this hypothetical situation in an expanded playoff and get curb stomped by 30+ points.
I'd sign App up to be a sacrificial lamb for the exposure/paycheck as there has basically been an azz whooping every year in the playoffs. It would make our program no different than the following "big time" programs who got "curb stomped":

2015:
Oregon - 59
FSU - 20

OSU - 42
Oregon - 20

2016:
Clemson - 37
OU - 17

AL - 38
MSU - 0.

2017:
AL - 24
UW - 7

Clemson - 31
OSU - 0

2018:
AL - 24
Clemson - 6

2019:
Clemson - 30
ND - 3
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:05 pm

ggasu wrote:

We win out

In your scenario, we'd get some great national discussion and I believe we'd get the NY6 invitation. Our SOS at that point would be far better than Boise State's (wouldn't even be close) unless Florida St has some kind of miraculous turn-around.
Don't see us getting the playoff invite though with just 4 teams currently participating. If it were at 10 or 12 teams it'd be way more likely.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:19 pm

A more realistic what if scenario would be if App wins out and UNC and USC finish out 8-4ish, does our undefeated record open the door for other at-large bids? Not necessarily a NY6 but an opportunity to play another P5 program? I personally can't be happy with only the New Orleans Bowl after/if we go 13-0. I would accept it, but would not be happy.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”