Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Running backs

Mjohn1988
School: Appalachian State

Running backs

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:47 pm

I’ll start with wishing the best for Harrington. Young man was playing great.

So we now have 5 healthy backs on the roster. We know Evans is #1 and M. Williams is #2. Both can get it done. Two questions, does Evans continue returning kicks and who’s the #3 back?

On the roster
Evans jr
B. Williams fr
M. Williams jr
Clark jr
Montgomery so

biggie
Site Admin

Re: Running backs

Unread post by biggie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:48 pm

22 Anderson has been moved to RB, he'll be number 3.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:06 pm

Really hate it for our 2 RBs who have been knocked out for the season - Although this is, at best, a glass half-full statement but here goes - None of us knew how good Jalin would be until Marcus got hurt, none of us knew how good Darryton would be until Jalin got hurt - hopefully we will have a couple of seasons where we won't have to discuss this but, just as before, I think we will find some future stars ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:12 pm

Personally I think Evans should continue to return kickoffs for two reasons: 1) his ability in the return game may be unmatched in the country and he has a knack for breaking something in high pressure situations. 2) With the new rules on kickoffs you really only see each team return one or two a game so that's not a huge uptick in hits to our premier offensive player.

With that said as we have all seen it only takes one hit to change everything. But I still think having him back there gives us the greatest advantage.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:36 pm

There have been years that losing 2 backs would have been devastating. Got my fingers crossed we don't get any more injuries in our backfield.
BLACK SATURDAY

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:02 pm

I really like Anderson. May be a bit slight at this stage but he's got some of that scat back ability. Williams seems like best pure runner, to me. He doesn't have the same speed as Evans or Harrington but I like his style.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:03 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:12 pm
Personally I think Evans should continue to return kickoffs for two reasons: 1) his ability in the return game may be unmatched in the country and he has a knack for breaking something in high pressure situations. 2) With the new rules on kickoffs you really only see each team return one or two a game so that's not a huge uptick in hits to our premier offensive player.

With that said as we have all seen it only takes one hit to change everything. But I still think having him back there gives us the greatest advantage.
NavyApp, what is the new rule concerning kick off returns?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:06 pm

Raykwon Anderson was someone I was really excited about since I saw his HS film. He is dynamic with the ball in his hands. Reminds me a lot of evans. I was thinking we would see him at WR/DB and KR/PR instead of RB; but when you need someone to fill a role, an outstanding athlete can do that. Would really like to see some 2 back sets with him and evans where one splits out and lines up in the slot. That is a lot of speed to account for on the field.
I was hoping he could RS this year, given our depth, but excited to see him step up and make the most of this opportunity.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:11 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:06 pm
Raykwon Anderson was someone I was really excited about since I saw his HS film. He is dynamic with the ball in his hands. Reminds me a lot of evans. I was thinking we would see him at WR/DB and KR/PR instead of RB; but when you need someone to fill a role, an outstanding athlete can do that. Would really like to see some 2 back sets with him and evans where one splits out and lines up in the slot. That is a lot of speed to account for on the field.
I was hoping he could RS this year, given our depth, but excited to see him step up and make the most of this opportunity.
Wasn't Evans listed as an "athlete" his first year (or at least as a recruit)? The coaches knew he'd be a playmaker, they just weren't sure where they would need or use him. Hopefully, the same holds true for someone like Anderson.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:19 pm

What I love about watching Darrynton Evans is how patient he is waiting for the blocks. It takes skill to slow down and redirect behind the blocking. Darrynton is crazy fast, but he does not "hurry". He's definitely fun to watch!
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:24 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:11 pm
The Rock wrote:
Wasn't Evans listed as an "athlete" his first year (or at least as a recruit)? The coaches knew he'd be a playmaker, they just weren't sure where they would need or use him. Hopefully, the same holds true for someone like Anderson.
Can't remember. Looks like he was a RB all through HS. I know he played at RB his freshman year here, was going to move to slot before his injury as a sophmore, then due to injuries, moved back to RB and excels there

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:25 pm

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:19 pm
What I love about watching Darrynton Evans is how patient he is waiting for the blocks. It takes skill to slow down and redirect behind the blocking. Darrynton is crazy fast, but he does not "hurry". He's definitely fun to watch!
So true, and when he gets open space he's at top speed in no time...my friends and I call him "The Accelerator" for that reason.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:26 pm

One thing I would see with Anderson what LB is going to cover him on a wheel route?

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:33 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:24 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:11 pm
The Rock wrote:
Can't remember. Looks like he was a RB all through HS. I know he played at RB his freshman year here, was going to move to slot before his injury as a sophmore, then due to injuries, moved back to RB and excels there
Yep, he was listed as "Athlete" on the 2016 roster as a Freshman, then WR first as a Sophmore, then WR/RB as Sophmore, then RB as a Junior. A gifted athlete to be sure...
Here's the link: (click on the "historical" tab on the first page)
https://appstatesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5419

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:48 pm

Virgil is an option at KR.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:01 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:03 pm
NavyApp wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:12 pm

Might be referring to the fairly new rule that allows a team to take the ball on the 25 with a fair catch or when they simply let it go into the end zone. Personally if a guy catches one in the end zone he needs to take a knee and let the offense start at the 25. No real need to take it out.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:35 pm

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:19 pm
So true Daphne - the old John Wooden wisdom - "Be Quick but Don't Hurry"
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:00 pm

For one I’m glad that we will see more of Marcus Williams JR. He has a similar body-type to Jalin Moore. He also gets better the more carries he gets.... stronger in the 4th qtr than the beginning of the game. He is also better between the tackles than most of our backs (again due to body-type). I’d consider him more of a slasher type. He’s also been durable. I’d agree that RA situation is much like Evans. .. in that they really are more slot and return guys that got called into rb duty. Evans has proven to be durable even in the rb role. The other point I’d make is that the taller backs have seemed to be less durable.... maybe serendipity maybe not. It will be nice to see MW get 12-15 carries a game.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:17 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:01 pm
NewApp wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:03 pm

Might be referring to the fairly new rule that allows a team to take the ball on the 25 with a fair catch or when they simply let it go into the end zone. Personally if a guy catches one in the end zone he needs to take a knee and let the offense start at the 25. No real need to take it out.
My apologies NewApp, my phrasing was unintentionally misleading. I was in fact referring to the NEWER rules regarding kickoffs. bigdaddyg thanks for clearing that up for me.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:07 pm

AppFan11 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:00 pm
For one I’m glad that we will see more of Marcus Williams JR. He has a similar body-type to Jalin Moore. He also gets better the more carries he gets.... stronger in the 4th qtr than the beginning of the game. He is also better between the tackles than most of our backs (again due to body-type). I’d consider him more of a slasher type. He’s also been durable. I’d agree that RA situation is much like Evans. .. in that they really are more slot and return guys that got called into rb duty. Evans has proven to be durable even in the rb role. The other point I’d make is that the taller backs have seemed to be less durable.... maybe serendipity maybe not. It will be nice to see MW get 12-15 carries a game.
Interesting points. I agree that Williams is the more prototypical RB and had some really good carries last season. Hasn’t been as productive this year, but hasn’t been in enough to get in a rhythm. Not sure if he has played enough last year or this to say he is durable yet, but hopefully that proves true.
Wonder if there are any stats about taller backs and injuries? Marcus Cox was on the taller side, or at least a slimmer frame than some.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”