Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Ted 'The Truth' Roof Appreciation Thread

Yosef10
School: Appalachian State

Re: Ted 'The Truth' Roof Appreciation Thread

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:55 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:34 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:53 pm
mountaineerman wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:49 pm
falcoapp wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:46 pm
Thank you Mr. Roof for bringing your outstanding defensive mind to Boone and making me already forget the name of our last defensive coordinator.

I'm sorry you had to endure the stress of a small section of our clown community calling for your head after two games.
I don’t think App nation is a clown community. The first few games defensively we were trying to inject new schemes ....but man has Roof really made adjustments since ..amazing.
I’m quite certain that this will fall on deaf ears, but we didn’t change anything from game 1 to game 6, we just got better at what we do.
Base scheme formation is the same, but positioning, blitzing percentages, coverage combinations are all significantly different. A lot has changed since week 2, Roof would be the first to tell you that. Big applause to him for making the move to the booth in order to get a better gauge on this defense and making the adjustments he needed to make in order to correct the major issues we had earlier in the season.
Dude, nothing about the “scheme” changed. It takes time to adjust to new, that’s why those of us who are sane told you and yours to calm it the hell down. You fanned flames like no other. Please stop it with the “it all changed because he moved to the booth” crap. You were wrong, simple as that.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:02 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:55 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:34 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:53 pm
mountaineerman wrote:
falcoapp wrote:
Thank you Mr. Roof for bringing your outstanding defensive mind to Boone and making me already forget the name of our last defensive coordinator.

I'm sorry you had to endure the stress of a small section of our clown community calling for your head after two games.
I don’t think App nation is a clown community. The first few games defensively we were trying to inject new schemes ....but man has Roof really made adjustments since ..amazing.
I’m quite certain that this will fall on deaf ears, but we didn’t change anything from game 1 to game 6, we just got better at what we do.
Base scheme formation is the same, but positioning, blitzing percentages, coverage combinations are all significantly different. A lot has changed since week 2, Roof would be the first to tell you that. Big applause to him for making the move to the booth in order to get a better gauge on this defense and making the adjustments he needed to make in order to correct the major issues we had earlier in the season.
Dude, nothing about the “scheme” changed. It takes time to adjust to new, that’s why those of us who are sane told you and yours to calm it the hell down. You fanned flames like no other. Please stop it with the “it all changed because he moved to the booth” crap. You were wrong, simple as that.
It has nothing to do with him going to the booth. That just helped him get a better gauge on our “speed vs size” skillset. I didn’t fan any flames. I never called to “fire roof” or anything. I simply started conversations around the glaring issues and wondered why we weren’t adjusting. In fact, I’m bolstering your argument by saying the players are executing better due to believing in his scheme. What I did point out is, saying nothing changed in scheme is completely wrong. Again, I’ll compliment on Roof proving that he has still got it. He made the adjustments and now we have strung together strong performances. None of what I said was a “back handed” compliment. I’m impressed by his and the players abilities to overcome what was clearly a lot of “dysfunction” early on this season. Shows Roofs coaching and leadership skills and our players skills.

Relax. Sheesh. Can we not just appreciate that things got better and enjoy watching all three facets of our game run smoothly?
The Appalachian State

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:06 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:28 pm
mountaineerman wrote:
falcoapp wrote:

You nailed it. Word coming from defensive players out of interviews and such was that there were more things being looked at from last season, our holdover coaches making more contributions, and those were being melded with Roofs scheme this season. You can tell he is trusting the players more and they are believing in his scheme more. Just look at the way they took away the slants (which have killed us all season) in the first drive. Same with the Fehr pick in the middle. Under the scheme we were running early this season, those plays don’t happen. You can tell there was a disconnect as Roof tried to get a feel for this defensive unit and the defensive unit adjusting to his base scheme. The “fire Roof” stuff was stupid, but to come on here and start a thread after every game calling people out is just as stupid. There were glaring issues through two games this season and a few more instances after. What shows a coaches prowess is adjustments, and through two games, there were none. His greatest strength, having years of P5 experience, was his greatest weakness- not knowing how to use a roster full of “tweeners” at a mid level school. He thought he needed to compensate for having no girth upfront by blitzing and reinforcing the line with LBs. To Roofs credit, he finally corralled our “horses” and figured out how to ride them. His blitzes have become more intentional than overused and his coverages have become more disguised than basic. I love what I’m seeing from them and I love seeing App believing in each other.

1-0, sure, but I’m hungry for undefeated. We can do it if we stay the course.
Fair assessment. What's you're describing is a process...that's what a transition is. Anybody who expected us to lose 5 starters and just "plug and play" replacements to look exactly like last year with a new DC was not being realistic (comment is not directed at you personally....nor are the following). I wasn't frustrated by those who made observations about the defense not performing well early on. Those were valid observations. What I found to be completely out of line were the personal attacks on Roof as incompetent (not many went that far) or inflexible or arrogant. It appears he has gone through a process in figuring out what works best with our players and with the staff that he has. That's what good coaches do...use their resources, learn their lessons and improve.

For those who like to focus on rankings (defensive), I think they will find that the App D will now be ranked pretty well after the past two games. When their are only 4 games, and two of them are somewhat anomalous (due to transition issues or whatever), those early ranking are pretty meaningless. That's why Drink uses the term "Complimentary Football" so often. The issue isn't what each individual unit is ranked. The question is whether each unit is doing what they need to contribute to an overall W for the team. Since we are now 6 - 0, I'd say we're doing pretty well on that score.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:09 am

Agree sir. It should have always been an X and Os conversation. There is nothing wrong with talking about facts.

Love my App family on here, these threads are tired. Let's start the NY6 talk!
The Appalachian State

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:13 am

I really just see guys making plays. Coverage is tighter, guys are wrapping up on tackles, etc. I can see a lower scoring game next week like 31-3. Just to rotate and keep guys fresh.

mgsouth

Unread post by mgsouth » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:57 am

Ted Roofs D:

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:02 am

mgsouth wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:57 am
Ted Roofs D:

POST of the season! Well done Sir.
😂😂😂😂😂

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:20 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:13 am
I really just see guys making plays. Coverage is tighter, guys are wrapping up on tackles, etc. I can see a lower scoring game next week like 31-3. Just to rotate and keep guys fresh.
Our DBs are certainly showing what a flew games worth of experience and study can do. Sherm and Jolly have tightened up and are now getting their heads around to find the ball. Their is much less face guarding than the first 3 games in particular. Hopefully translate to more ints. Sherm still likes to latch on to the receiver's jersey though. He won't always get away with that.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:24 am

Look - I must stick up for those of us who expressed concerns after the first 2 games but in no way were calling for a coach to be fired - those who know me on here for the last 20 years know I personally don't want to see any coaches fired and have never called for it. If some of you didn't see a problem after 2 weeks then there is nothing I can say to correct that. Many of us knew we had the tools for another top level defense in '19 and at least from my viewpoint, were shocked at how badly we looked. The parts were there and Coach Roof and the staff and the players have found the key to the puzzle. That is what good coaches do, especially those new to a situation. We are all pleased to see this and hope they continue to refine the details...
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:35 am

I wonder how much the defensive coordinator for the 15th ranked Texas team makes? The one who should be responsible for letting Kansas score 48 points. The same Kansas team that lost to Coastal Freaking Carolina. But hey they won so the fans are happy right?

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:43 am

I agree that we need to give credit to the defense for really buckling down, but are we going to have a new thread for this every week? I mean, I hope there’s reason for it (i.e. the defense kicking ass), but I think everyone here realizes that the initial “Fire Ted Roof” thread was stupid, ridiculous, ill-advised, poorly timed, etc. but can we let this be the last one until after the season when we can view the season in its entirety?
Give 'em hell!

appleachian

Unread post by appleachian » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:07 am

From family loyalties I am a Duke fan too...needless to say from history I was not happy with the Roof hire. I was not a believer.

I was at the game yesterday and I am now a believer...

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:10 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:35 am
I wonder how much the defensive coordinator for the 15th ranked Texas team makes? The one who should be responsible for letting Kansas score 48 points. The same Kansas team that lost to Coastal Freaking Carolina. But hey they won so the fans are happy right?
Texas fans are not happy. In their minds there is no reason to give up 48 to this Kansas team.

Games like that are why we have to take every game as 1-0 and forget the past. We could beat any SBC team we play by 40 or more on the rest of our schedule but we could also lose or barely sneak by if we overlook them. Texas clearly did not take Kansas as seriously as they should have.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:39 am

appleachian wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:07 am
From family loyalties I am a Duke fan too...needless to say from history I was not happy with the Roof hire. I was not a believer.

I was at the game yesterday and I am now a believer...
Yes. Some of us were privy to things happening early on this season that have haunted Roof at other programs. The reality is, He and Coach Drink impressed me with the way things were handled and the results speak for themselves. We can all disagree on Xs and Os, but we can all agree that once you make it up the mountain and truly embrace what it means "to give your all for App", special things start to happen. Roof has been impressive in cutting the head off of the opponent's offense and forcing them to try and win in other ways. He has made the adjustments to put our players in better positions to succeed (although it took longer than some were comfortable with). His experience is starting to show in positive ways. I think we will look back on Drinks time here and mark it down as one of the biggest benchmarks in program history (Ala '05-07).
The Appalachian State

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:55 am

We have really good coaches. We have really good players. They had to mesh. We are seeing it. By the way , I loved our kick coverage yesterday. Beat South Allie !

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:57 am

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:55 am
We have really good coaches. We have really good players. They had to mesh. We are seeing it. By the way , I loved our kick coverage yesterday. Beat South Allie !
No kidding. Special teams was phenomenal. Those boys were heat seeking....
The Appalachian State

App91

Unread post by App91 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:33 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:47 pm
InFor6More wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:31 pm
This board is giving me whiplash. No doubt the defense is improving and playing faster. Let’s see what happens as we get ready to play 3 games in 15 days. We’re going to need the defense to continue to come up big for us if we’re going to come out unscathed through that stretch.
Today we played the JV. Next Saturday we play the Middle School team. I think we are going to be okay.
#6 Wisc. says hello. Attitudes like that will get you killed. 1-0 and the university of whatever is the toughest team we will play

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:55 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:09 am
Agree sir. It should have always been an X and Os conversation. There is nothing wrong with talking about facts.

How about we start the let's beat our NEXT opponent.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:41 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:55 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:09 am

How about we start the let's beat our NEXT opponent.
I'm sure you will start a thread for each of them.... ;)
The Appalachian State

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:35 pm

Is it possible Roof installs or at least did the first couple weeks, some “new” looks against opponents he feels we can out talent to get a feel for what our defense can do, and then go back to what he knows works against the tougher teams?
If you think about our first 5 games, we did really good defensively against the toughest opponents and gave up more yardage to the UNCC and CC.
Could it be that he was just trying to work some of what he wants to install eventually against teams we could pretty easily beat?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”