Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Delicate Subject: Does anyone leave early afther this Season

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Delicate Subject: Does anyone leave early afther this Season

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:52 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:45 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:38 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:00 am
It's fair to wonder about, but the answer is that no one here knows or probably even has a good idea. So we're going to get a bunch of posts of people substituting their views of what *should* happen as the reality of what *will* happen.
Nobody truly knows for sure because a lot can change as well. A major injury could keep a guy from getting drafted. Evans could blow his ACL in a week and be done.

I tried to say Duck would not get drafted and people thought I was nuts. While we have a great team, we don't have anyone outside of Gaither that could go top 100 this year.
It's too bad that guys can't simply be good or great college football (or basketball) players. There is so much concern with the next level. The sad reality is, a great majority of good/great college football players won't be good enough in the pros. We have some dudes who absolutely ball out every game and that is awesome. We have a helluva team right now. I hope every one of them can play in the NFL. Odds are none of them will but who cares? If Evans and Gaither make it happen that is awesome. If they are working hard to get a degree even better. Duck gave it a shot and maybe he will make it somewhere. He could hit it big in the new league or in Canada. Injuries happen every week in the NFL. Maybe his shot isn't dead yet.
I have seen a lot of NFL players come through App and we have guys now who will. We just don't have any juniors who are ready to go early.

This is the best team we ever had and I think we haven't seen half of what this team can accomplish this year yet but most of them will not play in the NFL.

I'm pulling for them all but the reality is not one junior on this team should go pro early.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:58 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
It's fair to wonder about, but the answer is that no one here knows or probably even has a good idea. So we're going to get a bunch of posts of people substituting their views of what *should* happen as the reality of what *will* happen.
Nobody truly knows for sure because a lot can change as well. A major injury could keep a guy from getting drafted. Evans could blow his ACL in a week and be done.

I tried to say Duck would not get drafted and people thought I was nuts. While we have a great team, we don't have anyone outside of Gaither that could go top 100 this year.
I didn't read every post, but I think most people understood Duck was a long shot to get drafted, or if he did it would be very late. The main rationale I recall for him leaving was more that he wasn't going to get any bigger or faster by staying another year, and he'd already done about everything he could production-wise.

Also, I don't think Davis-Gaither is the top senior prospect on our roster, let alone top 100. I'd say Fehr and Johnson have a better chance to get drafted than him due to his size.
Johnson is playing hurt right now and not having a great year. He will be 1st team All-SBC but that is it. Fehr is just a guy on the field. Nothing special but good college player.

I thought it was Gaither after seeing the UNC game because smaller linebackers are prevalent in the NFL now. Coakley was 5'10, 215 and he went in the top 100. Gaither is bigger than him but won't gain much weight, if any. I am told he is around 205-210 right now.

I talked to my friend who hooked me up with pro day info and he confirmed to me Gaither is our top guy. Said he would go 4th or 5th round right now. He told me they had him in the 4th round as a junior. He is going to the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:48 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

I didn't read every post, but I think most people understood Duck was a long shot to get drafted, or if he did it would be very late. The main rationale I recall for him leaving was more that he wasn't going to get any bigger or faster by staying another year, and he'd already done about everything he could production-wise.

Also, I don't think Davis-Gaither is the top senior prospect on our roster, let alone top 100. I'd say Fehr and Johnson have a better chance to get drafted than him due to his size.
Akeem Davis Gaither is APPs top player for the NFL at the moment, bar none.
BLACK SATURDAY

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:03 pm

Well.....I’m certainly glad I brought this topic up🙄

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:27 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:48 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

100%. Next year it will be Sutton and then Evans. Gaither is our top guy for this year though. I don't see any shot Sutton comes out early. Evans is going to consider it but our staff is going to try to keep him in school. Evans would get drafted but not early enough to make it worth coming out. Plus, this team could be better in 2020.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:36 pm

I figured this was a post about attendance.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:12 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:53 am
Evans isn't an NFL running back. He isn't a receiver unless someone wants to take time to develop him or find a place for his speed.

Our best pro prospect is Gaither-Davis, but he is a senior.
Evans is better than you think. He can play receiver, catches out of the backfield, has return ability, probably gonna run 4.40, and has had a very good year. He should not leave early because he won't be a top 100 pick but he would get drafted. I'm hearing 5th round from my friend. That is just not early enough give up your senior year, IMO.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:17 pm

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:36 pm
I figured this was a post about attendance.
Lol my first thought too! Figured someone was pissed about someone leaving early at halftime.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:23 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:12 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Evans isn't an NFL running back. He isn't a receiver unless someone wants to take time to develop him or find a place for his speed.

Evans is better than you think. He can play receiver, catches out of the backfield, has return ability, probably gonna run 4.40, and has had a very good year. He should not leave early because he won't be a top 100 pick but he would get drafted. I'm hearing 5th round from my friend. That is just not early enough give up your senior year, IMO.

I agree.
BLACK SATURDAY

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:08 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

This is correct, I’ve heard it straight out of the mouth of an NFL Scout. They look at him as a hybrid right now, but he has a great frame and that gives teams something to work with either way. Akeems instincts are ridiculous, he is just improving on what was already a great season last year. No offense to Johnson and Fehr, Gaither is a notch above both.

I see Henni having a shot at making a team, he definitely could be a possession guy with contributions on ST. Vic has the size and nasty to potentially make a roster, but his injury history will probably hurt his chances. Corey Sutton is probably the most polished receiver we have had at App with the measurables to match. He will benefit from another year of weight training and fine tuning his craft, but I’m the most high on his potential. I feel like Evans has a very realistic shot at making a team as a multi-layered contributor. Too much skill to not make a roster. The College game and Pro-game are so different.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:45 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:08 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

This is correct, I’ve heard it straight out of the mouth of an NFL Scout. They look at him as a hybrid right now, but he has a great frame and that gives teams something to work with either way. Akeems instincts are ridiculous, he is just improving on what was already a great season last year. No offense to Johnson and Fehr, Gaither is a notch above both.

I see Henni having a shot at making a team, he definitely could be a possession guy with contributions on ST. Vic has the size and nasty to potentially make a roster, but his injury history will probably hurt his chances. Corey Sutton is probably the most polished receiver we have had at App with the measurables to match. He will benefit from another year of weight training and fine tuning his craft, but I’m the most high on his potential. I feel like Evans has a very realistic shot at making a team as a multi-layered contributor. Too much skill to not make a roster. The College game and Pro-game are so different.
Exactly. Next year our class will be ridiculous because there will be at least 7 Apps going to camps in the 2021 draft. Sutton, Evans, Thomas, Malik Williams, Marcus Williams, Virgil, and Hennigan. Sutton and Evans would get drafted in 2021 but the rest would likely be free agents. I think Hennigan and Marcus Williams could be interesting. Williams doesn't have a lot of mileage on him and Hennigan is a very good ST player. Virgil is a wildcard because of his speed. If he develops more routes and becomes a polished player he would get drafted but right now he is what scouts call a HWS player.

This year Gaither will get drafted while Fehr and Thomas likely get contracts. Johnson's injury problems may prevent more than a tryout but I hope he gets a contract. Franklin should get a tryout.

John-N-Houston

Unread post by John-N-Houston » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:32 pm

Black Saturday wrote:

Most likely, anyone on this board is more qualified than I to be an NFL scout, but I have to, respectively, take exception to your comment about DE. We all know how fast he is, but what goes unsaid is how quickly he accelerates; a great ability to have in the NFL where running lanes open and shut in an instant. He has good size and the ability to make the cut and change speeds when needed. The precedent for having an NFL quality running back from the Sun Belt is being proven out by Matt Brenda (Ex-GASO) who is doing great with the 49ers.

As great a college player as Gaither-Davis is, he has some issues that probably make him a free-agent signing at best. Being a senior, his optimal physical size has probably been reached. Yes, he can put on some weight (listed as 220) to remain at linebacker, but would it cost him speed? What about a move to corner? Speed may still be an issue. I hope I’m wrong. I’d love to see both him and DE in the pros.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:20 am

The Panthers have (and had) two linebackers who were hybrid types when they came in- Davis and Thompson. Both fast guys. If ADG puts on 10 lbs without losing the speed he has a shot. Can be a situational guy. Evans can be special. Kick returners aren’t a big deal anymore since most kicks are fair catches but he brings a lot to the table. I really see Hennigan with a shot. He has great hands and can go over the middle and can obviously return punts. Hope we don’t lose anyone from this Junior class. Next year could be big.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:25 am

If they leave, they leave. The team will still be here and ready to play.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:03 am

I hope they have learned a lesson and get their degrees. Thinking we may have a couple transfer out due to playing time ,but of course none of the afore mentioned.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:11 am

Maybe Darrynton would just because you only have a certain shelf life as a RB, but i still doubt it. Idk what caused Duck to think he needed to leave early as a guy in the SunBelt, but it wasn’t a smart move.

Also, another thing for them to think about: 10 returning starters on this offensive unit next year, and 11 if you wanna consider Cole Garrison as a starter since he’s been playing a good bit with Vic out. Have Wisconsin and Wake on the road next year, could be another special year for this group. Not sure i would wanna give that up.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:39 am

John-N-Houston wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:32 pm
Black Saturday wrote:

Most likely, anyone on this board is more qualified than I to be an NFL scout, but I have to, respectively, take exception to your comment about DE. We all know how fast he is, but what goes unsaid is how quickly he accelerates; a great ability to have in the NFL where running lanes open and shut in an instant. He has good size and the ability to make the cut and change speeds when needed. The precedent for having an NFL quality running back from the Sun Belt is being proven out by Matt Brenda (Ex-GASO) who is doing great with the 49ers.

As great a college player as Gaither-Davis is, he has some issues that probably make him a free-agent signing at best. Being a senior, his optimal physical size has probably been reached. Yes, he can put on some weight (listed as 220) to remain at linebacker, but would it cost him speed? What about a move to corner? Speed may still be an issue. I hope I’m wrong. I’d love to see both him and DE in the pros.
Breida is built different, but even Breida isn’t a 3 down workhorse back. I think Evans fits a niche that NFL teams are looking for, but I’m not seeing him translating to a 3 down back in the NFL. I think James White is a perfect example of what Evans can be, which would be an awesome career.

ADG is absolutely going to get his shot at the NFL. A Free Agent signing would be a disappointment in my mind, I think he has a chance to go mid to late rounds and make an active roster out of the gate.
The Appalachian State

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:07 am

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:39 am
John-N-Houston wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:

Breida is built different, but even Breida isn’t a 3 down workhorse back. I think Evans fits a niche that NFL teams are looking for, but I’m not seeing him translating to a 3 down back in the NFL. I think James White is a perfect example of what Evans can be, which would be an awesome career.

ADG is absolutely going to get his shot at the NFL. A Free Agent signing would be a disappointment in my mind, I think he has a chance to go mid to late rounds and make an active roster out of the gate.
My earlier point, maybe not clear, is DE isn't an every down back, like someone said he can't match up with Aaron Donald every play. He's got speed to get looks at a niche, even playing receiver, ask AE how difficult the NFL is learning a new position.
BLACK SATURDAY

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:52 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:07 am
appstatealum wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:39 am
John-N-Houston wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:

My earlier point, maybe not clear, is DE isn't an every down back, like someone said he can't match up with Aaron Donald every play. He's got speed to get looks at a niche, even playing receiver, ask AE how difficult the NFL is learning a new position.
Yes, I agree with your point above.
The Appalachian State

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:03 am

ASU-FTW wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:04 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:23 am
ericsaid wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:16 am
NavyApp wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:31 am
ASU2012 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:20 am
Doubt it. Duck isn't in the league and Moore is stashed on a practice squad. Duck will be the primary example, since he was fully healthy and chose to leave. I think that will keep everyone on the roster another year.
Duck and Evans are not comparable draft prospects. Yes they are both undersized for their respective positions, but Evans makes up for his lack of height with ELITE speed, acceleration, and vision. He is a game breaking talent that will get looks. I hope he stays an extra year but if he left I would not be surprised.
Evans isn't really undersized anymore. You saw what can happen when he wants to run with power rather than finesse in the game against Louisiana on that final drive. Not to say that the NFL and Louisiana is comparable but if Matt Breida can have an impact in a Shanahan style offense, I feel Evans could as well.
according to the rosters CMC is 5'11" and 205 lbs. Evans is 5'11" and 200 lbs. Unless one or both is way off Evans ain't undersized.
Just going by the eye test, CMC looks way bigger. Something aint right
His weight is distributed better on what seems like a more compact frame than Evans. Evans likely has longer arms and longer legs, leading to less bulk in those areas. I'd suggest he could probably get up to 210 or 215 while in the NFL for a couple of years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”