Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

(Afternoon) Classes need to be canceled Thursday for GaSo

97grad
School: Appalachian State

Re: (Afternoon) Classes need to be canceled Thursday for GaSo

Unread post by 97grad » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:27 pm

3rd wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:21 pm
Can't wait for the afternoon teacher above to make up all those days that are missed b/c of snow. This is an absolute joke. You are telling me they have known this for 6 months and this is the best they come up with? Don't give me that shit about "this is an educational university first" "they pay to go to class". Guess what they also pay "athletic fees" lots of them. It is ONE day. The lots are open at 5 during the week, so by not having the lottery it will not be a full on free-for-all at 5. All the "academic" first people above I can't wait to see you demanding for professors to be fired for canceling any class during the year (had plenty of them during my 4 years that I paid for those classes). Looking forward to see you show up and demand that.
Love the "academic" with quotes. It'll be ok dude, just bring a funnel so you can pound just as many with the limited time.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:28 pm

3rd wrote:
Can't wait for the afternoon teacher above to make up all those days that are missed b/c of snow. This is an absolute joke. You are telling me they have known this for 6 months and this is the best they come up with? Don't give me that shit about "this is an educational university first" "they pay to go to class". Guess what they also pay "athletic fees" lots of them. It is ONE day. The lots are open at 5 during the week, so by not having the lottery it will not be a full on free-for-all at 5. All the "academic" first people above I can't wait to see you demanding for professors to be fired for canceling any class during the year (had plenty of them during my 4 years that I paid for those classes). Looking forward to see you show up and demand that.
Dude calm down.......

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:41 pm

Am very calm, just so funny every 2 years when this happens I get to see all this knowing how many days professors canceled just because or I missed b/c of snow. The only person I really have an issue with here is Everts. This has been known for a long time. (and who know how long before it was made public) we couldn't have added 1 day at the beginning or end of the semester?

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:00 pm

97grad wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:34 pm
AppAlum1 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:57 pm
For alums tailgates. Thats why.

Come to mine after class. We barely have time to grill much but we could prolly feed one more. Duncan lot at the corner of the bldg nearest Broome Kirk.

If classes were canceled as they should be, more students could attend the game. Size matters.
Sorry, this just sounds unbelievably arrogant/entitled. Current students are paying tuition to attend classes; Alum's aren't. Which students can't come to the game because classes aren't cancelled? Only ones that both have classes that meet at 8 or later, and choose to attend them. I hardly think that's a number worth talking about.
Uh huh. I will have you know i am believably arrogant and entitled where it comes to App football. Canceling classes one day for the purpose of insuring attendance will in fact increase attendance. In my humbly proud, arrogant, and entitled opinion all students and all alums should attend football games to show support for their university especially where the school will be shown on national tv.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:02 pm

I love to tailgate, I have a building full of gear and I always had to be set up in time to get at least 4hrs in before getting into KBS 30 minutes before the kick off. But recently I haven’t been able to do that ever game and I found that getting to Boone 2 or 3 hours before the game and hanging out on campus or Kings st is pretty cool too. Some of you hard core guys should give scaling it down for a game or two a chance and you might like it. As another poster said, the game should be the featured event.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:02 pm

3rd wrote:
I had very few classes cancelled while I was at App. More than zero but I could count them on one hand. I had one Ed prof videotape himself one time and we watched that. However people do get sick and they deserve sick days. And there is a chance of missed classes from the weather. Many folks do not live in Boone as they once did. Because of these reasons, which are out of the hands of everyone is all the more reason to not waste a day when the decision is entirely in the schools control.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Appalachman

Unread post by Appalachman » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:04 pm

Just make then announcement July 1st that per ESPN and the Sunbelt Thursday is now Saturday and Saturday is now Thursday. All Thursday classes, labs, etc. for 10/31 will be held on Saturday 11/2. Facilities, food service and Admin offices will treat Thursday as Saturday game day with many people off. Saturday is normal work and class Thursday. If professors cancel class because one day is not a big deal or students don’t show, so be it. Students have 4 months to get there weekend work schedule right. Students want night games and all day tailgates, so give it to them.

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:10 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:02 pm
3rd wrote:
I had very few classes cancelled while I was at App. More than zero but I could count them on one hand. I had one Ed prof videotape himself one time and we watched that. However people do get sick and they deserve sick days. And there is a chance of missed classes from the weather. Many folks do not live in Boone as they once did. Because of these reasons, which are out of the hands of everyone is all the more reason to not waste a day when the decision is entirely in the schools control.
I could go more than 1 hand during just 1 of my semesters. Also Fall days attended does not equal spring days missed. Again my major argument here isn't cancel b/c we miss days during the Spring. That is my come back to people saying this one day matters that much. My major major issue is planning ahead. This was known well in advance steps could have been took to cancel the day/afternoon while adding a day somewhere else to make up. Also now we have students who have late afternoon/night classes that arn't canceled that live well off campus who have parking passes in these lots and now have no way to park and get to class. These games are a major logistical events on Saturday it's even worse on Thursday. Proper planning could have resolved all of these issues and protected academics while also helping traffic flow/logistics of a gameday.

Snwbrdro

Unread post by Snwbrdro » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:12 pm

I could Barely make it to Friday math classes much less Thursday afternoon class if Georgia southern was coming to town on ESPN and we were ranked! Students, i officially give you a pass to not go to class Thursday afternoon! 😂 Its Hate week and it’s just one afternoon of classes! Just don’t go!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:17 pm

What annoys me the most is the continued lack of timely communication. Telling people three days before that the Yosef Club Room is not going to be available on a day where it would be needed the most...that's pathetic.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

TheAppalachianState

Unread post by TheAppalachianState » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:46 pm

Appalachman wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:04 pm
Just make then announcement July 1st that per ESPN and the Sunbelt Thursday is now Saturday and Saturday is now Thursday. All Thursday classes, labs, etc. for 10/31 will be held on Saturday 11/2. Facilities, food service and Admin offices will treat Thursday as Saturday game day with many people off. Saturday is normal work and class Thursday. If professors cancel class because one day is not a big deal or students don’t show, so be it. Students have 4 months to get there weekend work schedule right. Students want night games and all day tailgates, so give it to them.
Probably can’t enforce that lol. Some students still work their way through school, that would definitely put them at a disadvantage

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:09 pm

FYI, regardless of how poorly this has been handled, be nice to the parking attendants on Thursday. They're good people and have nothing to do with the policy they're enforcing.

MountaineerKidd

Unread post by MountaineerKidd » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:13 pm

Sign the petition. Almost at 5k signatures https://www.change.org/p/appalachian-st ... asic_share

ShagNC

Unread post by ShagNC » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:38 pm

All I'm seeing is a bunch of boomers complaining about students going to class. In all honesty, the University screwed up big time by not planning for this sooner. Cancel classes.
GO! FIGHT! KICK ASS!

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:40 pm

I know the physics kids that work for me will be working during the game after classes.... I guess they don't know what is important.

T-Dog

Re: Classes need to be canceled Thursday for GaSo

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:28 pm

moonshine wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:41 pm
Since the Black and Gold Convocation is being cancelled, maybe the students could petition to have App's annual Thursday night showdown take it's place so as to not cause additional missed classes.

https://theappalachianonline.com/2019/1 ... nvocation/
I never understood cancelling classes all day for convocation. Students don't have to go to it -- I never did -- and it last less than two hours.

I wonder how many professors with classes after 2 p.m. Thursday will/have cancel them anyway? Many of them want to get away from campus before football rolls in. And I'm more on the pro-class side of things. App should not send a message that athletics are more important than academics, but there needs to be a happy medium to accommodate both sides.

My suggestion is to cancel all classes after 2 p.m. an give professors the leeway to reschedule earlier or on a different day if there needs to be in-class instruction. And make sure this is known months in advance so professors can plan around it going into the semester.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:57 am

ShagNC wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:38 pm
All I'm seeing is a bunch of boomers complaining about students going to class. In all honesty, the University screwed up big time by not planning for this sooner. Cancel classes.
Exactly

Lecture opportunities really bring the squares to the keyboard on the MMB.

This is a huge fumble, regardless of whether you favor the idea of cancelling classes. And the selective outrage at the prospect of cancelling classes for a game vs anything else is noticeable.

AppState2009

Unread post by AppState2009 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:12 am

Please leave the Library doors unlocked so Library Deck doesn't have to walk halfway across campus to use the bathroom!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:20 am

I recall classes being cancelled during my time in Boone once - for September 11 (I think classes were officially cancelled 9/12-13). That said, the school should have had the forethought to cancel afternoon classes on Thursday, and should have announced it at the beginning of the semester. It’s not about letting people have a good time, it’s mostly about dealing with the influx of people to campus.
Give 'em hell!

97grad

Unread post by 97grad » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:38 am

Weather is a safety issue so it's really not comparable at all, although I agree they seem a bit too quick to cancel nowadays considering bad weather in Boone is expected. What are all these other occasions when classes are cancelled that we are supposed to be equally up in arms about? The game is at 8pm in the evening for gods sake.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”