Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

(Afternoon) Classes need to be canceled Thursday for GaSo

appgrouch
School: Appalachian State
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Re: (Afternoon) Classes need to be canceled Thursday for GaSo

Unread post by appgrouch » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:47 am

The one time that they let the lots be open at noon for a weekday night game at 3pm, the time that they are opening up now, the lots were 95% empty. Most of our fans are not going to take a full day off for a game when they are in a 2-3 hour drive away. They are going to leave work at 2 or 3 pm, load up and head up the hill.

There may be some of you that are retired or don't have to put in a full day, but the rest of us have to work.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Deano

Unread post by Deano » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:13 am

I was at APP as a student from 1991-1995 and in my memory serves we cancelled class only 2 times, once because the wind chill was -48 and second right after spring break cause it snowed 2 feet in boone. Now I find it funny how often classes are cancelled, but the student population is larger, and there are many more things to consider. However I do believe afternoon classes should be cancelled for this game, for the simple reason of logistics and safety (handling all the people coming up the mountain and the weather)

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:17 am

I was at App in the early 80s, and classes were never cancelled. And, it snowed butt hole deep to Wilt Chamberland.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:17 am

appgrouch wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:47 am
The one time that they let the lots be open at noon for a weekday night game at 3pm, the time that they are opening up now, the lots were 95% empty. Most of our fans are not going to take a full day off for a game when they are in a 2-3 hour drive away. They are going to leave work at 2 or 3 pm, load up and head up the hill.

There may be some of you that are retired or don't have to put in a full day, but the rest of us have to work.
I do think that these discussions take on a very disproportionate "importance" on message boards where a high percentage of avid fans include tailgating as a major part of their game experience. The tendency is to picture the demand in terms of a Saturday event, but the reality is that tailgating for a Thursday night game will automatically demand less space and include fewer people. Factor in the weather forecast and this year's tailgate for GS will probably be lean at best. Sure, some die-hards will be there regardless...and kudos to those lucky souls who have such flexibility in their mid-week schedule! My guess is that, if classes were cancelled and the lots opened up, they would be largely empty Thursday. That said, the administration does seem to have dropped the ball on planning and communications regarding Thursday.

In the past, the issue has been more focused on the logistics of getting the cars into Boone safely, etc. with students having to move their vehicles. Seems really odd to me that the only real objection of many is that they want more time to get their drink on. Maybe our success and national ranking has emboldened the masses, but these are the types of things that create conflicts between athletics and academics at many universities. Bringing it up days before the event is not really reasonable. Maybe both sides planned this one badly.

moonshine

Re: Classes need to be canceled Thursday for GaSo

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:36 am

T-Dog wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:28 pm
I never understood cancelling classes all day for convocation. Students don't have to go to it -- I never did -- and it last less than two hours.

I wonder how many professors with classes after 2 p.m. Thursday will/have cancel them anyway? Many of them want to get away from campus before football rolls in. And I'm more on the pro-class side of things. App should not send a message that athletics are more important than academics, but there needs to be a happy medium to accommodate both sides.

My suggestion is to cancel all classes after 2 p.m. an give professors the leeway to reschedule earlier or on a different day if there needs to be in-class instruction. And make sure this is known months in advance so professors can plan around it going into the semester.
Agreed and I never attended once during my time which is why I suggested that the students petition to trade the day with Convocation moving forward. There's nothing that can be done at this point about Thursday's game so the students who are passionate about cancelling classes get to make an adult decision and live with the consequences of said decision: attend afternoon classes or start tailgating
BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:20 am
I recall classes being cancelled during my time in Boone once - for September 11 (I think classes were officially cancelled 9/12-13). That said, the school should have had the forethought to cancel afternoon classes on Thursday, and should have announced it at the beginning of the semester. It’s not about letting people have a good time, it’s mostly about dealing with the influx of people to campus.
I don't recall in the days following but classes were definitely not cancelled on 9/11. I remember watching the 2nd plane hit while studying for a finance exam I had a couple hours later. Suffice it to say, I did extremely poor on the exam that day.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:58 am

moonshine wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:36 am
BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:20 am
I recall classes being cancelled during my time in Boone once - for September 11 (I think classes were officially cancelled 9/12-13). That said, the school should have had the forethought to cancel afternoon classes on Thursday, and should have announced it at the beginning of the semester. It’s not about letting people have a good time, it’s mostly about dealing with the influx of people to campus.
I don't recall in the days following but classes were definitely not cancelled on 9/11. I remember watching the 2nd plane hit while studying for a finance exam I had a couple hours later. Suffice it to say, I did extremely poor on the exam that day.
Nope - they weren't officially cancelled on 9/11. I remember going into a class at 11 and when I walked in, my professor sent me straight back home. I made a remark that this was my only class for the day and he said, and I'll never forget, "Well, you don't have this one either. Go home and call your family and tell them you love them." Classes were officially cancelled Wednesday and Thursday of that week.
Give 'em hell!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:00 am

The reason classes at cancelled for weather quickly now is because of how many students who now live off.campus and dangers of them all getting to campus on an icy or really snowy day. It doesnt make them less than previous generations or anything like that.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:02 am

Well....back in the day.....I made unilateral decisions to cancel classes..........

FTE_rawr

Unread post by FTE_rawr » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:17 am

T-Dog wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:00 am
The reason classes at cancelled for weather quickly now is because of how many students who now live off.campus and dangers of them all getting to campus on an icy or really snowy day. It doesnt make them less than previous generations or anything like that.
I lived in Vilas during my time at App, and I wouldn't touch snow with a stick. That's just asking to get stuck.

But remember, to a lot of boomers, if you didn't walk to school 20 miles uphill in the snow both ways, you didn't do it. :roll:
---------------------------------------------
Class of '19

Mainly a reddit user, skimming message boards for App News.

Come talk at /r/CFB and /r/sunbelt

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:25 am

The obvious solution is that they should cancel all the classes at App for good. Attendance to all football games becomes mandatory and students can only wear jerseys as approved on campus attire. Instead of class, all students train to play football in the event we need added depth to the roster. Essentially we adopt something akin to the Spartan warrior model from Ancient Greece.

After four years you get a degree and a replica of our cotton bowl trophy.
YNWA

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:32 am

T-Dog wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:00 am
And a ton of staff live down the mountain or on the mountain in a different county which means long drives. And that includes some of the teaching staff, which is an important part of the "holding class" part of the equation. People live where they can afford to live. I am sure the rate of professors living in Boone or very close to Boone is higher than some of the teaching staff that are not on the tenure track. I don't know many non-tenure tracked instructors but 100% of the ones I do know live a good drive away from Boone for one reason or another.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:11 am

3rd wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:21 pm
Can't wait for the afternoon teacher above to make up all those days that are missed b/c of snow. This is an absolute joke. You are telling me they have known this for 6 months and this is the best they come up with? Don't give me that shit about "this is an educational university first" "they pay to go to class". Guess what they also pay "athletic fees" lots of them. It is ONE day. The lots are open at 5 during the week, so by not having the lottery it will not be a full on free-for-all at 5. All the "academic" first people above I can't wait to see you demanding for professors to be fired for canceling any class during the year (had plenty of them during my 4 years that I paid for those classes). Looking forward to see you show up and demand that.
Man, did I really work fairly hard to get my Ph.D and convince my wife to leave Athens for Boone to be called "the afternoon teacher above" on a football message board?

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:41 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:11 am
3rd wrote:
Can't wait for the afternoon teacher above to make up all those days that are missed b/c of snow. This is an absolute joke. You are telling me they have known this for 6 months and this is the best they come up with? Don't give me that shit about "this is an educational university first" "they pay to go to class". Guess what they also pay "athletic fees" lots of them. It is ONE day. The lots are open at 5 during the week, so by not having the lottery it will not be a full on free-for-all at 5. All the "academic" first people above I can't wait to see you demanding for professors to be fired for canceling any class during the year (had plenty of them during my 4 years that I paid for those classes). Looking forward to see you show up and demand that.
Man, did I really work fairly hard to get my Ph.D and convince my wife to leave Athens for Boone to be called "the afternoon teacher above" on a football message board?
Speaking for myself and hopefully some for others, appreciate your efforts get your advanced degrees and being here to educate our students. And for your contributions on the MMB.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:49 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
3rd wrote:
It is pretty embarrassing that someone would say that. The dedication and effort needed to obtain that level of academia is something that should be admired and respected. I do understand the cogent commentary to the lack of preparedness by our leadership, but the poor planning is far less embarrassing than the spoiled, entitled, behavior being exhibited over access to tailgating.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:59 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
3rd wrote:

I'm guessing 3rd has never been a teacher on any level and doesn't understand what effect missing days can have. One day is a lot of class time for classes that only meet twice a week. It IS an academic institution first. You are correct that some professors cancel classes for varying reasons throughout the year. Things happen in life that require a persons attention that they need to take a day off from their job. If sports are to the point where they supersede academics than they no longer need to be associated with ACADEMIC institutions. They need to be their own separate entity. Imagine if high schools started canceling classes for sporting events played during the school day (typically playoffs)? People would demand to know why the kids aren't in school. Why don't we cancel classes for our home basketball games? Why not for our soccer games? I also don't agree with all the students having to pay athletic fees. I don't think that should be part of the costs for their education. The vast majority of students never attend a single sporting event yet have to pay for them. That is not the purpose of an academic institution.

When alum begin to refer to education as "that shit" we have a pretty big problem. "Don't give me that shit about "this is an educational university first" "they pay to go to class" Thank you for showing how classy you really are and representing our school so well.

appgrouch

Unread post by appgrouch » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:03 pm

3rd wrote:
They choose to come to a university and "pay to go to class". They are FORCED to pay "athletic fees" to the university regardless of if they ever attend an event or want to attend an event. If you gave students the option of having $5000 less in student debt or having to buy a ticket to attend an event if they wish to, guess what a lot of students would do. All other fees are directly tied to an aspect of their education, not the Athletic fee, not with the Athletic department taking more space and shutting the general student population out.

Oh and by the way, they did plan for this game. They choose to do the job that they were hired for, provide for the education of students, not the Athletic department.

As for tailgating, do your duty to help the department and the university and by all you would normally eat and drink in the parking lot, at the concession stands. Every dollar paid there helps the department not be so much in the red without student fees.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:04 pm

moonshine wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:05 pm
This type of decision should be made prior to releasing the academic calendar, not 4 days before kickoff. Obviously we all would prefer the game to be played on Saturday when the football gods intended college football to be played but until ESPN and the Sun Belt decide to move the game, the university, students, faculty and fans/alumni are just going to have to learn how to deal with it.
Cancelling afternoon classes for night games occurs at many major universities. It's not a big deal really, unless there is an exam, in which case the professor can change their schedule as they would under any other circumstance.

appgrouch

Unread post by appgrouch » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:16 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:04 pm
moonshine wrote:
This type of decision should be made prior to releasing the academic calendar, not 4 days before kickoff. Obviously we all would prefer the game to be played on Saturday when the football gods intended college football to be played but until ESPN and the Sun Belt decide to move the game, the university, students, faculty and fans/alumni are just going to have to learn how to deal with it.
Cancelling afternoon classes for night games occurs at many major universities. It's not a big deal really, unless there is an exam, in which case the professor can change their schedule as they would under any other circumstance.
The same major universities all don't run their programs on the backs of the students.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:27 pm

We have this conversation every time we have a night game during the week......Good Lord forbid that the administration plan ahead for this...........I dont blame Everts. I blame her staff.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:29 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:04 pm
moonshine wrote:
App has known about this Thursday night game since when, February or March? My point is the decision needs to be made before an academic calendar is released not the week before the game. Asking a professor to change their exam schedule after they most likely set it by looking at the academic schedule does not fly. It saddens me that we have a pretty good Communications Department yet the university's communication leaves a lot to be desired.

How do they have a student lottery, knowing full well Raley/Peacock won't be available, only to tell those lottery winners "sorry"? I really have no problem with what the leaders decide is the best course of action for the university when hosting weekday games, my problem is in the lack of communication so students and fans can make an informed decision. If they want to cancel classes, I proposed the SGA seek a trade with Convocation Day to avoid any further missed class time. For me personally, if tailgating meant so much I'd just not show up to my afternoon classes outside of having a mandatory exam.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”