Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

(Afternoon) Classes need to be canceled Thursday for GaSo

3rd
School: Appalachian State

Re: (Afternoon) Classes need to be canceled Thursday for GaSo

Unread post by 3rd » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:30 pm

appdaze wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:59 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:11 am
3rd wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:21 pm
Can't wait for the afternoon teacher above to make up all those days that are missed b/c of snow. This is an absolute joke. You are telling me they have known this for 6 months and this is the best they come up with? Don't give me that shit about "this is an educational university first" "they pay to go to class". Guess what they also pay "athletic fees" lots of them. It is ONE day. The lots are open at 5 during the week, so by not having the lottery it will not be a full on free-for-all at 5. All the "academic" first people above I can't wait to see you demanding for professors to be fired for canceling any class during the year (had plenty of them during my 4 years that I paid for those classes). Looking forward to see you show up and demand that.
Man, did I really work fairly hard to get my Ph.D and convince my wife to leave Athens for Boone to be called "the afternoon teacher above" on a football message board?

I'm guessing 3rd has never been a teacher on any level and doesn't understand what effect missing days can have. One day is a lot of class time for classes that only meet twice a week. It IS an academic institution first. You are correct that some professors cancel classes for varying reasons throughout the year. Things happen in life that require a persons attention that they need to take a day off from their job. If sports are to the point where they supersede academics than they no longer need to be associated with ACADEMIC institutions. They need to be their own separate entity. Imagine if high schools started canceling classes for sporting events played during the school day (typically playoffs)? People would demand to know why the kids aren't in school. Why don't we cancel classes for our home basketball games? Why not for our soccer games? I also don't agree with all the students having to pay athletic fees. I don't think that should be part of the costs for their education. The vast majority of students never attend a single sporting event yet have to pay for them. That is not the purpose of an academic institution.

When alum begin to refer to education as "that shit" we have a pretty big problem. "Don't give me that shit about "this is an educational university first" "they pay to go to class" Thank you for showing how classy you really are and representing our school so well.
B.S. Secondary Ed. Math

I have had classes canceled for sports rally’s, drills, training that was forced on me, away sporting events.... etc

Also have a firefighter 1&2 cert. D/O cert for driving (9 years) I know all to well the dangers of traffic control after screwing up logistics and dealing with a massive influx of traffic that’s not a normal patter then deviate away from the not normal patter some more. Your correct I know nothing.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:41 pm

This entire issue really boils down to planning at the higher end of our administration. While cancelling afternoon classes in and of itself may not present a huge problem when given appropriate notice to plan, it certainly would create a huge problem doing so the week of. The professors have already made their semester schedules and class time is limited. However, if the decision is made in the summer the professors would have plenty of opportunity to plan around the single missed class and it would probably not be that big of a deal. We are an academic institution first and foremost but nobody can deny the import of a strong college football team in raising the profile and applicant pool. This is a nationally televised game and we are a top 20 program. We need a full rowdy house, even in the elements, to show the nation what it means to be a Mountaineer. This, and the continued success of our football team, will result in far greater future gains for a academic institution than the single afternoon of classes. Greater exposure means more applicants to App State. More applicants mean a greater number of better qualified applicants (just by simple percentages). A greater number of better qualified applicants means a higher acceptance profile and a lower acceptance rate which are both key metrics in most ranking services. Higher rankings means more prestigious positions within the faculty and so on and so forth. Make no mistake, a mistake was made in the summer by our administration in not cancelling afternoon classes for the day and making this a HUGE gameday experience for the nation to see. Also, make no mistake that it is far too late in the game to do so now. Hopefully the powers that be learn from the mistake and it doesn't happen again. Plenty of top ranked schools cancel classes for games, they just do so at appropriate times so the professors can plan for it. Heck, UF cancels all classes the Friday before Homecoming every year and they are a top 10 public university.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:47 pm

Short list of truths for all the back-patting wise men who keep pontificating about something that isn't even at issue at this point:

-App State is an academic institution first and foremost.
-Academics should be the number one priority.
-Afternoon classes should have been cancelled for Thursday.
-Everts' regime should have announced this cancelation over the summer to allow professors to account for the missed day in their plans.

Even the academics at Appalachian who (famously and often) loathe football would concede that these games are the biggest events on campus each year. I think it's quite obvious that the failure to cancel classes before the semester began was an omission rather than a decision. The University leadership simply didn't even realize a decision needed to be made until f$*&ng yesterday. The communication breakdown that allowed student government to conduct the student tailgate lottery is only the most recent disaster occurring from a series of bad decisions and non-decisions made by this administration. And this isn't the first year this has happened.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:20 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:47 pm
Short list of truths for all the back-patting wise men who keep pontificating about something that isn't even at issue at this point:

-Everts' regime should have announced this cancelation over the summer to allow professors to account for the missed day in their plans.

Even the academics at Appalachian who (famously and often) loathe football would concede that these games are the biggest events on campus each year. I think it's quite obvious that the failure to cancel classes before the semester began was an omission rather than a decision. The University leadership simply didn't even realize a decision needed to be made until f$*&ng yesterday. The communication breakdown that allowed student government to conduct the student tailgate lottery is only the most recent disaster occurring from a series of bad decisions and non-decisions made by this administration. And this isn't the first year this has happened.
No this is because students can't/won't read. Each pass holder was given a gameday parking plan with their campus parking pass. On the first week of classes the entire campus was emailed the information. Here is the link https://parking.appstate.edu/event-foot ... y-football to the parking and traffic page where the information has been since the summer. There are alot of thing the admin can be blamed for, this is not one of them. This just proves that all the students need to spend more time in class learning how to process information.

And no the admin didn't just realize that there was a decision to be made yesterday. The bitching about not getting drunk in the parking lots early in the day was started yesterday. If this was a major issue, then people should had been on the admin the moment the schedule was released. The admin work on the calendar 2-3 years in advance, not when the football schedule comes out. The defense is playing better, basketball hasn't started yet, the women soccer coach has been beaten to death (by words on the board), and people are out of things to complain about, so now it's parking/tailgating. Next thing you will want is a dorm to be cleared out and used a housing for fans that can't get hotel rooms.

And people call me a grouch.

And for the record, there may be more people for these games, but the biggest and most important events on campus each year is the graduations.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:39 pm

3rd wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:30 pm
appdaze wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:59 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:11 am
3rd wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:21 pm
Can't wait for the afternoon teacher above to make up all those days that are missed b/c of snow. This is an absolute joke. You are telling me they have known this for 6 months and this is the best they come up with? Don't give me that shit about "this is an educational university first" "they pay to go to class". Guess what they also pay "athletic fees" lots of them. It is ONE day. The lots are open at 5 during the week, so by not having the lottery it will not be a full on free-for-all at 5. All the "academic" first people above I can't wait to see you demanding for professors to be fired for canceling any class during the year (had plenty of them during my 4 years that I paid for those classes). Looking forward to see you show up and demand that.
Man, did I really work fairly hard to get my Ph.D and convince my wife to leave Athens for Boone to be called "the afternoon teacher above" on a football message board?

I'm guessing 3rd has never been a teacher on any level and doesn't understand what effect missing days can have. One day is a lot of class time for classes that only meet twice a week. It IS an academic institution first. You are correct that some professors cancel classes for varying reasons throughout the year. Things happen in life that require a persons attention that they need to take a day off from their job. If sports are to the point where they supersede academics than they no longer need to be associated with ACADEMIC institutions. They need to be their own separate entity. Imagine if high schools started canceling classes for sporting events played during the school day (typically playoffs)? People would demand to know why the kids aren't in school. Why don't we cancel classes for our home basketball games? Why not for our soccer games? I also don't agree with all the students having to pay athletic fees. I don't think that should be part of the costs for their education. The vast majority of students never attend a single sporting event yet have to pay for them. That is not the purpose of an academic institution.

When alum begin to refer to education as "that shit" we have a pretty big problem. "Don't give me that shit about "this is an educational university first" "they pay to go to class" Thank you for showing how classy you really are and representing our school so well.
B.S. Secondary Ed. Math

I have had classes canceled for sports rally’s, drills, training that was forced on me, away sporting events.... etc

Also have a firefighter 1&2 cert. D/O cert for driving (9 years) I know all to well the dangers of traffic control after screwing up logistics and dealing with a massive influx of traffic that’s not a normal patter then deviate away from the not normal patter some more. Your correct I know nothing.
I find it great that you are complaining about events that were FORCED on you yet you want to do the exact same thing to App. So you know the issue this causes. That makes it even worse that you are against supporting academics first. The parking issues have been around for decades and are in the process of being remedied to a degree. I am glad that your pride has been restored by enlightening me to the credentials of your expertise. I have a CDL as well but I don't pretend to be a traffic expert because of it.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:56 pm

1. Its a Thursday night.
2. Its Halloween.
3. Halloween is on a Thursday night.
4. There is a nationally televised football game (on a Halloween Thursday night).

This is already turned up to 11. We do not need the University basically asking students to start early and see if they can find the 12.

The funny thing is, if there were a ton of non student demand for tickets, they wouldn't be basically 50% off.

MountaineerKidd

Unread post by MountaineerKidd » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:10 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:56 pm
1. Its a Thursday night.
2. Its Halloween.
4. There is a nationally televised football game (on a Halloween Thursday night).

This is already turned up to 11. We do not need the University basically asking students to start early and see if they can find the 12.

The funny thing is, if there were a ton of non student demand for tickets, they wouldn't be basically 50% off.
Just checked the available seats online and its sad. Tons of tickets available. Going to be a small crowd Thursday night.

appgrouch

Unread post by appgrouch » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:18 pm

MountaineerKidd wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:10 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
1. Its a Thursday night.
2. Its Halloween.

Just checked the available seats online and its sad. Tons of tickets available. Going to be a small crowd Thursday night.
But where will all the people coming to the game all park?!?!?!?

And the other game is WVA vs Baylor

97grad

Unread post by 97grad » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:19 pm

MountaineerKidd wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
1. Its a Thursday night.
2. Its Halloween.

I'd wager that for every fan itching to drive up and watch a game on Halloween night mid-week, there is at least one other (probably with kids) for whom it's a dealbreaker.

MountaineerKidd

Unread post by MountaineerKidd » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:22 pm

appgrouch wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:18 pm
MountaineerKidd wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
1. Its a Thursday night.
2. Its Halloween.

My issue is that students aren't able to tailgate. My best memories from school are tailgating in Raley. Specifically night games. They shouldn't take that away from these students

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:24 pm

Was really hoping to see concessions discount to try to bring people in like ULL did.

appgrouch

Unread post by appgrouch » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:29 pm

MountaineerKidd wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:22 pm
appgrouch wrote:
MountaineerKidd wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
1. Its a Thursday night.
2. Its Halloween.

My issue is that students aren't able to tailgate. My best memories from school are tailgating in Raley. Specifically night games. They shouldn't take that away from these students
There hasn't been weekday student tailgating in at least 5 years.

MountaineerKidd

Unread post by MountaineerKidd » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:31 pm

appgrouch wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:29 pm
MountaineerKidd wrote:
appgrouch wrote:
MountaineerKidd wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
1. Its a Thursday night.
2. Its Halloween.

Not true. In 2017 against Southern Raley was open on the side closest to Rivers Street.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:36 pm

appgrouch wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:20 pm
Gonzo wrote:

No this is because students can't/won't read. Each pass holder was given a gameday parking plan with their campus parking pass. On the first week of classes the entire campus was emailed the information. Here is the link https://parking.appstate.edu/event-foot ... y-football to the parking and traffic page where the information has been since the summer. There are alot of thing the admin can be blamed for, this is not one of them. This just proves that all the students need to spend more time in class learning how to process information.

And no the admin didn't just realize that there was a decision to be made yesterday. The bitching about not getting drunk in the parking lots early in the day was started yesterday. If this was a major issue, then people should had been on the admin the moment the schedule was released. The admin work on the calendar 2-3 years in advance, not when the football schedule comes out. The defense is playing better, basketball hasn't started yet, the women soccer coach has been beaten to death (by words on the board), and people are out of things to complain about, so now it's parking/tailgating. Next thing you will want is a dorm to be cleared out and used a housing for fans that can't get hotel rooms.

And for the record, there may be more people for these games, but the biggest and most important events on campus each year is the graduations.
You won't find any posts by me complaining about anything else this season. First I've heard of a women's soccer issue...

I don't get student emails, so if that info was disseminated earlier than yesterday the students do bear more of a responsibility than I originally understood. I think the sincere surprise of thousands of students and their indignation indicates that there was no email, but I have no idea. It's ultimately the responsibility of the administration to make sure the students (18-22 year olds) are informed. Merely burying a tab on the University parking website clearly wasn't effective. Email over the summer or not they didn't know, and that's on the professionals, not the students.
appgrouch wrote:
The bitching about not getting drunk in the parking lots early in the day was started yesterday.
This sentiment is the common denominator in all these tailgate/student/beer sales-related discussions. There are so many reasons that student tailgating is the life blood of college football culture outside of alcohol. This message board becomes unreadable sometimes when older alums with biases against people who choose to drink alcohol chime in. It's self-righteous and off-putting. You don't seem mature and level-headed. You seem like a killjoy who thinks he's better than others. One might say a grouch.

appgrouch

Unread post by appgrouch » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:40 pm

MountaineerKidd wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:31 pm
appgrouch wrote:
MountaineerKidd wrote:
appgrouch wrote:
MountaineerKidd wrote:

Not true. In 2017 against Southern Raley was open on the side closest to Rivers Street.
The spaces were marked as Fac/Staff until 5 pm and then they were opened to festival parking for the game. Students could tailgate in that lot after 5 if they could find a space. It's the same rules as this year just that they moved the first cut off from 3:30 to 4pm.

MountaineerKidd

Unread post by MountaineerKidd » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:47 pm

appgrouch wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:40 pm
MountaineerKidd wrote:
appgrouch wrote:
MountaineerKidd wrote:
appgrouch wrote:

The spaces were marked as Fac/Staff until 5 pm and then they were opened to festival parking for the game. Students could tailgate in that lot after 5 if they could find a space. It's the same rules as this year just that they moved the first cut off from 3:30 to 4pm.
I am pretty confident there was a tailgate lottery for that game, as I remember a car that was parked on the Rivers Street side of Raley being towed out of that area due to being in a spot designated for tailgating.
Also the problem with this situation is that the SGA opened the tailgate lottery and students were sent an email saying they won a tailgate spot just to go to the SGA office to pick up the spots and be told that it was a mistake.

appgrouch

Unread post by appgrouch » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:57 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:36 pm
appgrouch wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

You won't find any posts by me complaining about anything else this season. First I've heard of a women's soccer issue...

I don't get student emails, so if that info was disseminated earlier than yesterday the students do bear more of a responsibility than I originally understood. I think the sincere surprise of thousands of students and their indignation indicates that there was no email, but I have no idea. It's ultimately the responsibility of the administration to make sure the students (18-22 year olds) are informed. Merely burying a tab on the University parking website clearly wasn't effective. Email over the summer or not they didn't know, and that's on the professionals, not the students.
appgrouch wrote:
The bitching about not getting drunk in the parking lots early in the day was started yesterday.
This sentiment is the common denominator in all these tailgate/student/beer sales-related discussions. There are so many reasons that student tailgating is the life blood of college football culture outside of alcohol. This message board becomes unreadable sometimes when older alums with biases against people who choose to drink alcohol chime in. It's self-righteous and off-putting. You don't seem mature and level-headed. You seem like a killjoy who thinks he's better than others. One might say a grouch.
The soccer issue keeps coming up in the recent topics box on the front page. Each student that got a parking hang tag also got a copy of the gameday parking regs in dead tree edition (printed). They are 18-22 year olds that, considering that the leadership of SGA will be Jrs & Srs, can drive, smoke, drink and get drafted to go to war. So yea, hand holding should not be required at all times.

As far as the drunk comment, look up snark. I don't have a problem with tailgating as long as it doesn't interfere with the rest of the functions of the university. The fact that everyone knew from years past what the policy was going to be, with the fact that the weeknight games 80% of the time have lower attendance across all groups (look at the ticket sales for this game) and you have people yelling about things that were

A) Not important enough to try and get changed ahead of time
B) Are not going to change at this point
C) Were known about well in advance by anyone willing to put "App State Thurs Game Parking" into Google

If I am a killjoy, then it is just to try and keep everyone honest and not starting to sound like the UNC fans that people on the board love to rail against.

appgrouch

Unread post by appgrouch » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:01 pm

MountaineerKidd wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:47 pm
appgrouch wrote:
MountaineerKidd wrote:
appgrouch wrote:
MountaineerKidd wrote:

I am pretty confident there was a tailgate lottery for that game, as I remember a car that was parked on the Rivers Street side of Raley being towed out of that area due to being in a spot designated for tailgating.
Also the problem with this situation is that the SGA opened the tailgate lottery and students were sent an email saying they won a tailgate spot just to go to the SGA office to pick up the spots and be told that it was a mistake.
The car may have been in a space marked 151 or higher. All the numbers with 151 and up had to be gone by 3:30. They may have also parked there without a valid hangtag before 5pm.

As to the SGA, I hope they pay better attention in class, because they blew this, no matter who they blame.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:15 pm

So the only evidence of students being affirmatively notified was potentially an attachment to a non-game day parking pass and only sent to the couple hundred who bought in that lot??? That's a VERY small percentage of students and I doubt they were looking through their regular parking pass attachments for Halloween Gameday information.

Perhaps the SGA person should have scoured the internet for the only page I've seen (that has no indication of when it was posted) showing that student tailgating in Raley lot was canned for 10/31. If they don't park in Raley they had no chance! I blame the professional whose job it was to inform the students. It was an abject communications failure on the part of the administration.

Like Kidd said, last Georgia Southern Thursday Night gameday they allowed students tailgating. More signs pointed to yes than no.

Of course, this avoids the bigger issue of not announcing the cancellation of afternoon classes for 10/31 over the summer.
Last edited by Gonzo on Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bettysburner

Unread post by bettysburner » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:16 pm

appgrouch wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:01 pm
MountaineerKidd wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:47 pm
appgrouch wrote:
MountaineerKidd wrote:
appgrouch wrote:

The car may have been in a space marked 151 or higher. All the numbers with 151 and up had to be gone by 3:30. They may have also parked there without a valid hangtag before 5pm.

As to the SGA, I hope they pay better attention in class, because they blew this, no matter who they blame.
Wanna hear a funny joke?

SGA.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”