Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NCAA Votes to Allow Athletes to Cash in on their fame

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

NCAA Votes to Allow Athletes to Cash in on their fame

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:05 pm

This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Saint3333

Re: NCAA Votes to Allow Athletes to Cash in on their fame

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:27 pm

FCOA was only the beginning.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:35 pm

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... likenesses

This is great for the athletes. If top players really wanted to make a splash they could go the steph curry route and be the man at a mid major to get their name out there.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:07 pm

appdaze wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:35 pm

This is great for the athletes. If top players really wanted to make a splash they could go the steph curry route and be the man at a mid major to get their name out there.
It’s good for some of the athletes. The ones who attend college just for the purpose of going to the pros. For the rest not so much.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:18 pm

NewApp wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:07 pm
appdaze wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:35 pm

It’s good for some of the athletes. The ones who attend college just for the purpose of going to the pros. For the rest not so much.
Maybe everyone can make a few $ with video game and even a few thousand could help some with costs during school.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:22 pm

Athletes are receiving $5-10k a year above their scholarship under FCOA, have we forgot that?

This slippery slope will not end and will lead to the shrinking of college athletes receiving an opportunity to be on scholarship.

Say goodbye to 1/3 of the sports SBC programs support by 2030.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:32 pm

Part of the scholarship could be reduced given the amount of money athletes are earning under these NCAA rules. Maybe not $ for $ but something or students can either take the FCOA or earn money under the new NCAA rules.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:38 pm

I'm not opposed to capitalism and kids making money off of their likeness. But they won't be able to use the schools logos or images to do it and we are just opening pandoras box for the bigger colleges to get the players they want. It will all work itself out over time I'm sure, and the bubble was going to burst one way or another, but I'm not sure if this is an ideal route. Need to have some sort of savings account or something for this money and scholarships need to be reduced so athletic funding doesn't get dried up.
The Appalachian State

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:10 pm

Alabama will be fighting LSU, UGA, etc. - The "big boys" have been, are and will be in a "league of their own" - I don't see this hurting the APPs of the college game - possibly it will help - I am sure many of you are capitalists to the core - Universities are making millions/billions, coaches are making millions/hundreds of thousands and the athlete??? - This was going to happen, only a matter of time - Now they have to figure out how to regulate it ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:19 pm

They actually voted no such thing today. The votes to “consider modernizing” relevant bylaws. Absolutely nothing is changed.

But continue on with the pearl clutching just because student athletes might finally one day not be the only literal class of people not permitted to participate in our great capitalistic society.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:22 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:38 pm
we are just opening pandoras box for the bigger colleges to get the players they want.
How is this any different than how it already is? As long as scholarship limits are still imposed, it’s not at all.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:22 pm

I've been of the opinion for years that college sports will eventually become separate entities from the universities. I'm not sure what that would look like but the money being made off football and basketball is so absurd that the university system can't keep a hold of this stuff in the long term.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:28 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:22 pm
appstatealum wrote:
we are just opening pandoras box for the bigger colleges to get the players they want.
How is this any different than how it already is? As long as scholarship limits are still imposed, it’s not at all.
It's just making it easier to unbalance the playing field. That's all. I think it will all work itself out, but believe that the Big P5s are embracing this as they know it slows down the current trend of parity in college football. It is what it is.
The Appalachian State

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:31 pm

NCAA VIDEOGAMES BACK?

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:34 pm

It will hurt App because there are many G5s that have way more wealthy alums than App does, and they will pay. I find it extremely ironic that on the first year SMU has been ranked since the death penalty was administered that we are now going to allow players to get paid. Make no mistake, wealthy Texas oilmen and women from SMU, Houston, etc have the money and ego to "contract" with players for the name, likeness, etc. That goes for all other extremely wealthy alums of schools. Imagine if a handful of Ivy league hedge fund guys decide they want to go big time in football and decide they will "pay fair market for a name, image, likeness" and essentially contract for a pro team. Sure they would have to convince the schools to go FBS but money talks and if properly motivated they could surely make the transition. I don't think that last example will happen, but it could. Billionaires, and that's what may schools have, have the resources and egos to do anything. As long as we share the G5 with the likes of SMU, Houston and others, it will hurt App.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:42 pm

If I was a multi millionaire, I would make sure the coaches told all recruits of the banquet to honor their signing, where all would be brought to Boone all expenses paid, and the entire class would sign limited edition posters and the collective class would split the funds allocated for it. Imagine an 18 year old offensive lineman being told he will split 250k with his recruiting class. You don't think that would get people to sign on the line? I can spit out plenty more inventive ways to pay the players under the guise of Name, Image and Likeness that is really just flat out paying. Also, what about when the alums get smart and contract with the players but provide clauses that limit transferring thereby essentially making the owner of the contract the controlling factor and not the player. This will all grow into a huge mess before it gets any better. I understand the desire for players to cash in on the perception of big money, but people just forget how much free college, and room and board and medical and tutors and everything else that they already get is cashing in. I am a father of 4, I have 2 still in school and 2 that have their post grad degrees already, trust me a free ride for athletics is a big deal.

MountainMan2020

Unread post by MountainMan2020 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:17 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:22 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Well, as an example... Say hello to the football-only alumni sponsored Yosef Club! Maybe we don’t have a same number of ultra-wealthy boosters that can put the starting offense on his (or her) payroll, but we can pool our cash and make sure it goes to football! (Of course, this is a re-channeling if funds from the University sponsored Yosef Club, which of course benefits all sports.) Is this such a good thing? Will this not harm the non-revenue sports? Maybe it’s okay because they are “non-revenue” and that whole “capitalism” thing, right?

MountainMan2020

Unread post by MountainMan2020 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:25 pm

I also find it interesting many of the same legislators and writers defend this NIL proposal on the basis of some altruistic “free market capitalism” basis, yet there is virtually no serious discussion on the cartel that is the “P5”. Does Wake Forest for example have such an incrementally high level of market dominance as the dollars “earned” via their association with the P5 cartel? Is that the free market working?

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:28 pm

I am curious how this and title IX coexist.

I am also curious how the NCAA plans to keep HS recruiting from turning into endorsement contract negotiations with deep pocket donors &/or the major shoe brands.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:37 pm

AppDawg wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:28 pm
I am curious how this and title IX coexist.

I am also curious how the NCAA plans to keep HS recruiting from turning into endorsement contract negotiations with deep pocket donors &/or the major shoe brands.
Don't think it will affect Title IX since the university is not going to be the entity paying the $$$.

I'm all for people being able to make a buck off their NIL, but like all things, many already mentioned, there will be unintended consequences. It will be interesting to see what measures can be taken to mitigate them.

I do believe this is a better solution than just paying the athletes to play, but there are going to be some very creative interpretations of NIL.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”