Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

CBS issues motivation

Appalachman
School: Appalachian State

CBS issues motivation

Unread post by Appalachman » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:40 pm

EastHallApp

Re: CBS issues motivation

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:48 pm

I fear his projection might be correct. However, I can't see Navy being in ahead of us. Also doubt SMU would be basically mirroring their spot in the polls while we're totally omitted. He seems to be giving a lot of weight to simply *being* in the AAC, regardless of whether you've actually played or beaten many of the better teams in that league.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:53 pm

That is insane and makes little sense, five AAC teams ranked from 16-25 including a 2 loss UCF and no mention of App at all. No way it looks like this next Tuesday.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:56 pm

What is really unfortunate is his comment under Minnesota.

"The Gophers are unbeaten, but it is hard to find anything that resembles a quality win. They have the worst schedule by far of any major unbeaten team to this point of the season. Minnesota's only victory against a team with a winning record is the one over Georgia State. I honestly do not know if the Gophers are any good, but they can make a statement in two weeks when they host Penn State."

We all know our strength of schedule isn't great, so I can only figure he doesn't consider us a "major unbeaten team."

Keep winning and the respect will come.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:58 pm

Just another example of the authors ineptness, Minnesota beat Georgia Southern NOT Georgia State.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:21 pm

Never heard of this guy
YNWA

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:04 pm

Yeah Navy has lost their toughest game with was against a a G5 Memphis and the best win will be against what is probably a 6-3 Tulane team. A Carolina win this weekend would be nice, unfortunately.

app73

Unread post by app73 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:32 pm

Even this guy gets Georgia State and The Stink confused. Minnesota beat Georgia Southern, little brother of Georgia State

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:38 am

t4pizza wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:53 pm
That is insane and makes little sense, five AAC teams ranked from 16-25 including a 2 loss UCF and no mention of App at all. No way it looks like this next Tuesday.
UCF fan dropping by, I think you guys have a great program and a damn impressive team this year.

I know the AAC, and UCF in particular, have earned respect but I'd be shocked if we have 5. I see SMU and Cincinnati as sure things and Memphis would be on the fence.

You guys deserved to be ranked but it's not entirely impossible to see you left off. No SunBelt team has ever had a season like what you guys are in the middle of now so the closest reference based on how the committee seems to look at teams would be CUSA and the MAC.

2014 Marshall didn't get ranked until week 13, which was the 5th CFP ranking released. It took 11-0 to get there and they were promptly dropped once they lost their 12th game. But Marshalls schedule was BAD. Their out of conference games were 3 MAC teams who would finish with 2, 5, and 6 wins plus an FCS team. That's the low bar and your schedule is stronger than that.

The more similar comparison may be 2016 WMU. They did enter the CFP rankings in their first release at #23 with an 8-0 record. Even their AP/CP rankings are very similar to yours at 20/21 the week before the first CFP poll. WMU had 2 B1G teams on their schedule beat them. The main advantage they had over App, at least for the first ranking, is that both B1G games were played in the first 8. You won't play SC until after the first poll.

But in the end, it's where you finish that counts. Cheers and good luck!

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:36 am

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:56 pm
What is really unfortunate is his comment under Minnesota.

"The Gophers are unbeaten, but it is hard to find anything that resembles a quality win. They have the worst schedule by far of any major unbeaten team to this point of the season. Minnesota's only victory against a team with a winning record is the one over Georgia State. I honestly do not know if the Gophers are any good, but they can make a statement in two weeks when they host Penn State."

We all know our strength of schedule isn't great, so I can only figure he doesn't consider us a "major unbeaten team."

Keep winning and the respect will come.
Penn State is going to utterly dismantle Minnesota.

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:07 am

The dude's bio says his main interest is basketball...so there ya go all you need to know
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:41 am

As as been said: “It isn’t where you start it’s where you finish.” So let it be said, let it be done.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:50 am

citroknight wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:38 am
t4pizza wrote:
UCF fan dropping by, I think you guys have a great program and a damn impressive team this year.

I know the AAC, and UCF in particular, have earned respect but I'd be shocked if we have 5. I see SMU and Cincinnati as sure things and Memphis would be on the fence.

You guys deserved to be ranked but it's not entirely impossible to see you left off. No SunBelt team has ever had a season like what you guys are in the middle of now so the closest reference based on how the committee seems to look at teams would be CUSA and the MAC.

2014 Marshall didn't get ranked until week 13, which was the 5th CFP ranking released. It took 11-0 to get there and they were promptly dropped once they lost their 12th game. But Marshalls schedule was BAD. Their out of conference games were 3 MAC teams who would finish with 2, 5, and 6 wins plus an FCS team. That's the low bar and your schedule is stronger than that.

The more similar comparison may be 2016 WMU. They did enter the CFP rankings in their first release at #23 with an 8-0 record. Even their AP/CP rankings are very similar to yours at 20/21 the week before the first CFP poll. WMU had 2 B1G teams on their schedule beat them. The main advantage they had over App, at least for the first ranking, is that both B1G games were played in the first 8. You won't play SC until after the first poll.

Perhaps you are not aware but we have alreafy beaten an ACC team this seadon, SC will be our secind P5 game not our first. It was just UNC but its still as good a P5 win as any other G5 has. Not to mention we have a top 10 offense and top 25 defense which most of those other G5 teams cant boast. The comparrison to WMU is somewhat off brcause they were a flash in the pan team that caught lightening in a bottle for a year. We have been doing this consistantly and have won more games since 2015 than any other G5 including your Knights. We are not an unknown to the football people on the committee and I would be shovked if 5 AAC teams landed ahead of us, I could see 3 but noway 5.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:01 am

citroknight wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

We appreciate the support Citro! I've been a big supporter of UCF for a while as well.

You're statements about WMU & Marshal are correct. I believe our biggest gripe is not that we aren't ranked (b/c if you asked any logical App fan they'ed tell you that we aren't actually the 20th most talented team in the country. We have the 20th best body of work so far this year) its that we aren't even mentioned. Like you we feel that given our history and success the past 5 years that even mediocre sports writers & commentators would know who we are, be able to pronounce "Appalachian" correctly and at least take a look at the score lines and say "You know, App is better than Memphis & Navy"

I've watched enough SMU, Memphis, Cincy & Tulane games this year since I live in Dallas and I can tell you that App's defense would shut down those teams.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:03 am

kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:01 am
citroknight wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

We appreciate the support Citro! I've been a big supporter of UCF for a while as well.

You're statements about WMU & Marshal are correct. I believe our biggest gripe is not that we aren't ranked (b/c if you asked any logical App fan they'ed tell you that we aren't actually the 20th most talented team in the country. We have the 20th best body of work so far this year) its that we aren't even mentioned. Like you we feel that given our history and success the past 5 years that even mediocre sports writers & commentators would know who we are, be able to pronounce "Appalachian" correctly and at least take a look at the score lines and say "You know, App is better than Memphis & Navy"

I've watched enough SMU, Memphis, Cincy & Tulane games this year since I live in Dallas and I can tell you that App's defense would shut down those teams.
Please speak only for yourself. I, for one, think our starters are as talented and athletic as anyone in the country, save the top 10 at the moment.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:23 am

yosef69 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:03 am
kornegaylw wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:01 am
citroknight wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

Please speak only for yourself. I, for one, think our starters are as talented and athletic as anyone in the country, save the top 10 at the moment.
I reserve agreeing/disagreeing with you until Sunday November 10th.

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:28 am

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:50 am
citroknight wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

Perhaps you are not aware but we have alreafy beaten an ACC team this seadon, SC will be our secind P5 game not our first. It was just UNC but its still as good a P5 win as any other G5 has. Not to mention we have a top 10 offense and top 25 defense which most of those other G5 teams cant boast. The comparrison to WMU is somewhat off brcause they were a flash in the pan team that caught lightening in a bottle for a year. We have been doing this consistantly and have won more games since 2015 than any other G5 including your Knights. We are not an unknown to the football people on the committee and I would be shovked if 5 AAC teams landed ahead of us, I could see 3 but noway 5.
I think you misread what I wrote. I never said you hadn't beaten a P5 or that SC would be your first. I simply said that WMU had both of their P5 games and wins in time for the first CFP ranking of 2014 whereas App won't because your second P5 game isn't until after the first ranking.

The WMU comparison isn't off at all. Because rankings are for the team that year, not the history of the program. Yes WMU was a flash in the pan and App State has been a consistent SunBelt leader since making the FBS jump but that's not what's being judged in a poll for the 2019 season. I'm not expecting an upset this week so App State will be 8-0 with an AP rating somewhere around 18-20 as the first CFP poll comes out. Seems like a pretty good comparison to 8-0 WMU that was #20 in the AP as the first CFP poll came out in 2014.

I'll bet they know all about App if they're paying attention but it still is a little bit unknown where they'll rank App due to playing in the SunBelt. I definitely think you should be ranked. If you are, App breaks ground (again) because it'll be the first time the CFP poll ever had a SunBelt team ranked.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:32 am

It will be interesting to see how SMU and Sonny do next season. I believe they brought in 16 transfers this past off-season with roughly 10-12 starting. The Mustangs lose 12 starters to graduation, including Buechele (QB) and another 6 on the 2-deep. That is a lot of talent to replace, similar to what App will face going into '21.

The AAC is talented this year, especially on offense. They have 4 teams (UCF, SMU, Memphis & Tulane) all ranked in the top 25 of total offense and scoring offense. On the flip side, Navy is the only AAC team in the top 25 of total D and scoring D (UC #24 in scoring D). I'd love to see App play any of the AAC's top 5 programs this season.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:03 am

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:50 am
citroknight wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

He didn't say SC was our first P5 opponent. He said WMU had beaten both of their P5 opponents before the first rankings came out, while we haven't played our second yet.

And past seasons at least theoretically shouldn't affect the rankings for this year. Of course whether it actually works that way, who knows.

I'll add that the big benefit WMU got that we won't is that every other G5 champion had at least three losses that year. So the CFP didn't have to choose between unbeaten WMU and a one-loss AAC or MWC champ.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”