Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

This ones on the coaches

Yosef84

Re: This ones on the coaches

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:32 pm

canes_mj wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:39 pm
Offense: I think weather was a major factor in the playcalling. 30+ mph winds are difficult to throw in, it was affecting Zac's throws all night, so he had to try to run the ball. They finally got to the point they had to abandon the run, but it was too late.

Defense: The factor here is the coaching staff. See previous threads. Only reason D looked better in the 4th is because GaSo went uber-conservative prevent offense and just about blew the game for themselves. Roof is a bad coach and it finally caught up to us, as it will continue to as long as he's our DC. Why weren't we blitzing and stacking the box more against them? Force them to throw...if WE were having trouble throwing in that wind, don't you think an option team that averages less than 50 yds per game would've had trouble too? Terrible.
Could not disagree more with your summary of Defensive issues. Defensive issues were related to tackling, and a couple of big plays related to missed assignments. Defending the option is not about blitzing. It is about assignments and staying in your lane. We also Fehr playing at less than 100% due to injury (at least from what I read) which contributed. The D rallied and played much better, getting us a legit shot at the comeback. Seem to me that you just hate admitting you were wrong about the Roof hire and you'll massage the facts to fit your pre-determined excuse.

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:39 pm

Our game and athletes are not suited for what we saw Thursday weather wise. I said from the beginning when we lost the coin toss we were in trouble.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:41 pm

I saw missed tackles , arm tackling and a lot of "yardage after contact" -guys getting bulldozed .In any event in the next couple of weeks we will know what kind of staff we have.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:45 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:32 pm
canes_mj wrote:
Offense: I think weather was a major factor in the playcalling. 30+ mph winds are difficult to throw in, it was affecting Zac's throws all night, so he had to try to run the ball. They finally got to the point they had to abandon the run, but it was too late.

Defense: The factor here is the coaching staff. See previous threads. Only reason D looked better in the 4th is because GaSo went uber-conservative prevent offense and just about blew the game for themselves. Roof is a bad coach and it finally caught up to us, as it will continue to as long as he's our DC. Why weren't we blitzing and stacking the box more against them? Force them to throw...if WE were having trouble throwing in that wind, don't you think an option team that averages less than 50 yds per game would've had trouble too? Terrible.
Could not disagree more with your summary of Defensive issues. Defensive issues were related to tackling, and a couple of big plays related to missed assignments. Defending the option is not about blitzing. It is about assignments and staying in your lane. We also Fehr playing at less than 100% due to injury (at least from what I read) which contributed. The D rallied and played much better, getting us a legit shot at the comeback. Seem to me that you just hate admitting you were wrong about the Roof hire and you'll massage the facts to fit your pre-determined excuse.
I agree about the blitzing and whatnot, but don't you think the missed assignments and poor tackling are from the coaching? Are they not practicing tackling? Do they not practice against the option?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:56 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:45 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:32 pm
canes_mj wrote:

I agree about the blitzing and whatnot, but don't you think the missed assignments and poor tackling are from the coaching? Are they not practicing tackling? Do they not practice against the option?
Two missed assignments and poor tackling for half a game hardly constitute a pattern. That same D shut down a better UL offense and a decent ULM offense. Neither tackling nor assignments were an issue, so it hasn't been a pattern. No, I don't believe every missed assignment or tackle falls to the coaches. Failure to correct it would fall to the coaches, but we did finally correct it.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:59 pm

The writing was on the wall after the second big run up the middle by them for 60 yards. We had the momentum , the crowd was loud and it was 3rd down I believe. I have never seen or heard a more deflated App stadium after that play. This just should have never happened they went up 24-7 I believe.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:15 pm

Here is a crazy thought. Some teams we face actually recruit, practice and play to win just like we do. We played a pretty good team last night. I was dying inside just everyone else. I personally questioned the onside kick with 8:32 left to play and only down 10. We had some momentum so why not kick deep, make them play ball, try to get a three and out and make their punter kick into the stiff wind in his face? Instead of putting our defense on the wrong side of the 50 let them go at it deep in Southern territory? If we stop them down there we get the ball on a short field most likely with time for a quick score, THEN the onside kick. Easy to second guess the coaches. We had chances to win and it just didn't work out. Let's go win the rest.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:43 pm

On the D side I didn’t see any really bad coaching issues. For the most part they were just too physical for us. They got push in the middle and ran through tackles for extra yards. If you get 3 to 4 yards per down you move the chains. On the edges our corners and safety’s just couldn’t get off blocks to come up and play the pitch. Numerous times I saw our outside backers play the QB and then have to go tackle the pitch man. On the O side it looks like Drink has lost confidence in Zac and the passing game. Only really went to it during desperate time. I know the wind was an issue. For the first time since he became the starter I saw Zac visibly angry and frustrated on the field. I can’t for sure say what it was about but it looked like it might have had something to do with play calling. From listening to Drink talk I wonder if he sees this game more like a video game than an actual game. He talks a lot about making correction. I wonder if he losses touch with the emotional aspect of the game?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:36 am

Interesting observations Mjohn , I have had similar thoughts. I remind myself though about throwing a cold , wet ball....in the wind , which I have done , or tried to do. If the game was today we win by two touchdowns.....

App91

Unread post by App91 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:02 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:15 pm
Here is a crazy thought. Some teams we face actually recruit, practice and play to win just like we do. We played a pretty good team last night. I was dying inside just everyone else. I personally questioned the onside kick with 8:32 left to play and only down 10. We had some momentum so why not kick deep, make them play ball, try to get a three and out and make their punter kick into the stiff wind in his face? Instead of putting our defense on the wrong side of the 50 let them go at it deep in Southern territory? If we stop them down there we get the ball on a short field most likely with time for a quick score, THEN the onside kick. Easy to second guess the coaches. We had chances to win and it just didn't work out. Let's go win the rest.
Just remember overtime with SoAL tells us what kind of gteam thIs was

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:15 pm

Our O line was poor in regards to run blocking, pass blocking was better but the elements screwed this up from being the answer. We are a Ferrari they are a tank, the wind and wet won them a close game again. This plus (and I have never said this before) the refs really did us in. We still own the all time record against them and lets never forget that 59-0 beat down in the 3O’s. We are better, they were fortunate, sucks but we will be ok.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:40 pm

In the first 20 seconds of Drinks' postgame presser, he says that they made their field goal and we didn't and equated it to being the one we wished we had back. I absolutely hated that comment. The kick, which still should have been made, was in the middle of the third quarter and there was alot of ball played after that. I don't get why he said that as his first blame comment, especially considering GaSo missed the exact same kick in the fourth quarter. It's not as simple as we missed a field goal and lost by three.

Also, I don't think Drink respected the rivalry the way he needed to.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:44 am

T-Dog wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:40 pm
In the first 20 seconds of Drinks' postgame presser, he says that they made their field goal and we didn't and equated it to being the one we wished we had back. I absolutely hated that comment. The kick, which still should have been made, was in the middle of the third quarter and there was alot of ball played after that. I don't get why he said that as his first blame comment, especially considering GaSo missed the exact same kick in the fourth quarter. It's not as simple as we missed a field goal and lost by three.

From his presser after SoAl I wondered the same. There was way more to contribute to the loss way before that FG. Like 3 third downs with 2-3 to go and run it right into the middle of that fat gnat line and even my freezing wife knew what we were going to do. And he is doing some OTJ training. Hope he gets this rivalry now if didn't before.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:56 am

T-Dog wrote:

To be fair, Bass missed from 41 yards not from 29 like Staton. Under the conditions neither was a gimme but they weren't exactly the same scenario.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:00 am

T-Dog wrote:

I Agree. The way the wind was blowing, I thought all day that kicking/punting would be impossible. Subostch had another rough punting day IMO, and that wasn’t mentioned. Can’t see blaming the kicker on a night with 40mph winds.
I have asked this question before, and I still wonder; who is the “hype man” on the coaching staff? Look at the passion that we lost in the sidelines. Ivey, Ledford, Iron Mike, Cardwell. Those guys knew how to get players ready to play. Who does that now? I still am in disbelief on how flat and uninterested our team seemed for most of the game. You are playing your most hated rival at home a year after they knocked you out of the top 25. There was no emotion. To me, that is on the coaches.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:33 am

The Rock wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:00 am
T-Dog wrote:

I Agree. The way the wind was blowing, I thought all day that kicking/punting would be impossible. Subostch had another rough punting day IMO, and that wasn’t mentioned. Can’t see blaming the kicker on a night with 40mph winds.
I have asked this question before, and I still wonder; who is the “hype man” on the coaching staff? Look at the passion that we lost in the sidelines. Ivey, Ledford, Iron Mike, Cardwell. Those guys knew how to get players ready to play. Who does that now? I still am in disbelief on how flat and uninterested our team seemed for most of the game. You are playing your most hated rival at home a year after they knocked you out of the top 25. There was no emotion. To me, that is on the coaches.
I agree the “Hype Coach” factor is not as intense this year.
I also believe Howell “Freshman All American” should be punting.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:27 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:33 am
The Rock wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:00 am
T-Dog wrote:

I agree the “Hype Coach” factor is not as intense this year.
I also believe Howell “Freshman All American” should be punting.
Howell won the job over Subostch last year and was great. Howell had 1 bad punt against ETSU and was benched. Subostch has been inconsistent this year with bad games coming in the most critical games such as ULL and another tough game against South Al. Obviously the coaches see the performances every day in practice, but sometimes better performance in practice don’t always translate to better performances in real game situations.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:34 am

Not gonna read this fecal matter.

Georgia Southern's entire offense is based on running the ball.

Anytime they pass, it is considered a gimmick play.

App doesn't run an offense that only works in certain conditions.

Conditions were not pleasant, and were not friendly to anyone that relies on the passing game.

No coaches missed tackles.

Bruiser backs are important.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:49 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:43 pm
On the D side I didn’t see any really bad coaching issues. For the most part they were just too physical for us. They got push in the middle and ran through tackles for extra yards. If you get 3 to 4 yards per down you move the chains. On the edges our corners and safety’s just couldn’t get off blocks to come up and play the pitch. Numerous times I saw our outside backers play the QB and then have to go tackle the pitch man. On the O side it looks like Drink has lost confidence in Zac and the passing game. Only really went to it during desperate time. I know the wind was an issue. For the first time since he became the starter I saw Zac visibly angry and frustrated on the field. I can’t for sure say what it was about but it looked like it might have had something to do with play calling[/b]. From listening to Drink talk I wonder if he sees this game more like a video game than an actual game. He talks a lot about making correction. I wonder if he losses touch with the emotional aspect of the game?

Could have been about dropped passes and wind blowing passes off course.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:21 pm

Take a look at our entire conference and where they play every single game and then blame our poor performance on the weather? That is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. We were not prepared for the game plain and simple. That comes down on the coaches and players. This was not a surprise storm that just blew up. It was in weather reports for over a week. Weather that no team in our conference plays in except when they come here. We just didn't act like we wanted to be there. Heck even our band sat there and watched their band play all game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”