Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

"Culture"

beachneer40
School: Appalachian State

"Culture"

Unread post by beachneer40 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:58 am

Anyone else bothered by the HC dressed in a parka on the sideline? Or our players huddled around heaters without a clue as to what is happening on the field. Anyone who has been around any sort of championship culture will tell you that ELITE teams are able to focus and execute no matter the elements. It is a mindset and I think one that hopefully our new HC will learn to adapt. Southern looked more acclimated and ready for the weather than the Neers did. Drink signed up to coach in Boone, any alum or player will tell you it is absolutely brutal in the fall after sunset, but this is to your advantage, this has to be your culture. I really dont want to be the one to call out a coach for his choice of clothing but the elements have long been one of the things that separated our culture from the rest. Pretty tone deaf from the HC, and looks like the players followed suit. Lack of focus and execution from the get go.

WataugaMan

Re: "Culture"

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:18 pm

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:27 pm

beachneer40 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:58 am
Anyone else bothered by the HC dressed in a parka on the sideline? Or our players huddled around heaters without a clue as to what is happening on the field. Anyone who has been around any sort of championship culture will tell you that ELITE teams are able to focus and execute no matter the elements. It is a mindset and I think one that hopefully our new HC will learn to adapt. Southern looked more acclimated and ready for the weather than the Neers did. Drink signed up to coach in Boone, any alum or player will tell you it is absolutely brutal in the fall after sunset, but this is to your advantage, this has to be your culture. I really dont want to be the one to call out a coach for his choice of clothing but the elements have long been one of the things that separated our culture from the rest. Pretty tone deaf from the HC, and looks like the players followed suit. Lack of focus and execution from the get go.
This is way low on the list of issues a coach needs to deal with imo

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:35 pm

beachneer40 wrote:
I don’t mind the coach wearing a coat and I don’t think it’s important for our players to come out shirtless in 30 degree weather. I think it’s more important to prepare for the conditions. Im having a hard time understanding why so many folks think poor weather gives us an advantage. In 2005 we decided to value speed over size and that decision has served us well. We’re not built for bad weather. I didn’t really notice any of our starters acting as if the cold was as issue. The wind hurt us and wet conditions always reduce the speed advantage. It’s true that both teams played in the same conditions but the triple option wasn’t effected by the wind and our passing game was. The big boys up front need to strap it up and get it done and they didn’t.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:36 pm

beachneer40 wrote:
I don’t mind the coach wearing a coat and I don’t think it’s important for our players to come out shirtless in 30 degree weather. I think it’s more important to prepare for the conditions. Im having a hard time understanding why so many folks think poor weather gives us an advantage. In 2005 we decided to value speed over size and that decision has served us well. We’re not built for bad weather. I didn’t really notice any of our starters acting as if the cold was as issue. The wind hurt us and wet conditions always reduce the speed advantage. It’s true that both teams played in the same conditions but the triple option wasn’t effected by the wind and our passing game was. The big boys up front need to strap it up and get it done and they didn’t.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:40 pm

Yeah....what the head coach wears is pretty low on the list.

The fact is that we haven't had any real cold weather so far this year, so it's not like the team has had a chance to practice in it or acclimate. Nobody is comfortable in the cold when the temperature first drops. Once we have some cold weather practices, things will settle in. This is not a cultural issue. I couldn't care less what kind of coat the coach wears. I need him focused on thinking and coaching...not on trying to keep his teeth from chattering.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:07 pm

Many folks seem to be under the impression that we "App players" always have some big advantage playing in sometimes crappy elements for late season home games. I even read people on these threads hoping for snow, sleet and other nasty weather as if it helps us. Well I don't think so. We recruit a bunch of kids from Florida and Georgia now, not Wisconsin and Alaska. These 18-22 year olds have grown up playing in much more ideal conditions. We also built an indoor facility years ago to escape many of the elements. It was obvious from the beginning last night that the weather was going to be an issue with passing the ball and it was also painfully obvious that GS has some big boys on their lines. We have been fortunate to negate some size disadvantages with speed and against the fat dudes on the bad conference teams we face. GS appears to be pretty good and they punched us in the mouth. Unless some of you haven't noticed there are many teams (ours included late in the game last night) who have embraced some of the newer fads like the dancing on the sideline.

CheckYosef94

Unread post by CheckYosef94 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:08 pm

beachneer40 wrote:
No
The mountains are calling and I must go

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:37 pm

My thoughts exactly Mjohn and Big. Inclement weather takes away our speed advantage, what we’re built on, and the passing game. We aren’t built like the big10 motor grader teams , big, strong, and can push you around in nasty weather. This was the perfect storm for another GS upset to match the one last year. I feared it so much I was actually hoping the weather got so bad with lightning delays or whatever so that the game would be postponed to Friday or Saturday, even if it meant no tv. I rather have the win and I believe we would have continued rolling in decent conditions.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:05 pm

beachneer40 wrote:
We continue to descend deeper and deeper with stupid things to complain about.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:36 pm

I blame the ice cups
The Appalachian State

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:55 pm

Next up: Eric Church

bettysburner

Unread post by bettysburner » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:58 pm

Fire Ted Roof!

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:12 pm

If we became soft, it's because we started using the nickname "neers".

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:23 pm

CheckYosef94 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:08 pm
No
Eloquently said.

Clothing? Really?

Snaggy

Unread post by Snaggy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:34 pm

beachneer40 wrote:

Seriously? Seriously? Wow...

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:51 pm

Should have had Sean Connery do the welcome

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:56 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:35 pm
beachneer40 wrote:
This. gsu has benefitted the last two years from bad weather. I don’t think we came out as ready as we could have, but we are a Ferrari and they are a tank. Bad weather gives them the advantage every time. With this said, our online and d line got plunked for 2/3 of the game.

'75App

Unread post by '75App » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:14 pm

I'll get over this loss in time BUT when Coach Satterfield's guys are gone in a couple years that's when I want to see what Coach Drink is made of and not what kind of coat he's wearing!!

GO APPS!

General Moore

Unread post by General Moore » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:04 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:05 pm
beachneer40 wrote:
We continue to descend deeper and deeper with stupid things to complain about.
Including complaining about the complaining?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”