Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Watch Out

WataugaMan
School: Appalachian State

Watch Out

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:14 pm

Halftime

ECU 31
Cincinnati 21

Memphis 20
SMU 17

Fingers Crossed

ASUTodd

Re: Watch Out

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:24 pm

Fingers crossed for what? Every team in the NCAA could lose....we won't be ranked or be talked about anymore. That 0 in the loss column kept us relevant. I'm still just so irritated over this loss. I just can't believe that every single facet of our game was horrid.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:31 pm

No reason to cross fingers. Our ship has sailed.

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:32 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:24 pm
Fingers crossed for what? Every team in the NCAA could lose....we won't be ranked or be talked about anymore. That 0 in the loss column kept us relevant. I'm still just so irritated over this loss. I just can't believe that every single facet of our game was horrid.
This board baffles me. For some reason if App ever loses, we're completely irrelevant and will never be heard from again. But other ranked G5 programs can struggle and it doesn't matter?

Lot of time left in Cincy and they have now pulled to within 3. But I'm going on record and saying that if they were to lose, that's a FAR worse loss than what happened to App on Thursday.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:34 pm

Todd calm down, don't try to read too much into my post. Like you said, every team (other top 25 teams that is) could lose and hopefully they will. I'm not saying we will be ranked, nor do I expect to be. However, if these teams lose and we get our shit together we may finish much better than currently anticipated.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:37 pm

If ECU beats Cincy then all of the AAC East teams have 2 losses...it could very easily mean a 2 loss AAC champion...

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:44 pm

SMU winning doesn't help us. The AAC is looked upon as a stronger conference. If Memphis wins that will just mean that two teams are now firmly ahead of us instead of one. Navy has only lost to Memphis.

The best we can hope for at this point is to win our conference and get the top sunbelt bowl. I agree, our big ship has sailed for this year. We have to run the table if we want more than just sunbelt affiliated bowls.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:48 pm

AppInDC wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:32 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
This board baffles me. For some reason if App ever loses, we're completely irrelevant and will never be heard from again. But other ranked G5 programs can struggle and it doesn't matter?

Lot of time left in Cincy and they have now pulled to within 3. But I'm going on record and saying that if they were to lose, that's a FAR worse loss than what happened to App on Thursday.
It's definitely a worse loss. ECU is putrid. Problem is, national media won't respect the fact that our loss was "better".

Like i said before.... Biggest games we have left are SC and a Bowl Game to get us a chance back into the top 25. None of our other games will move the needle. It's laughable that some of my ACC friends are texting me like App is done forever. App will continue to have chances at NY6 games, but we have to be flawless. Unfortunately, we weren't this year. App just wins and grows, the Sunbelt schedule will continue to be an anchor around our neck.
The Appalachian State

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:50 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:44 pm
SMU winning doesn't help us. The AAC is looked upon as a stronger conference. If Memphis wins that will just mean that two teams are now firmly ahead of us instead of one. Navy has only lost to Memphis.

The best we can hope for at this point is to win our conference and get the top sunbelt bowl. I agree, our big ship has sailed for this year. We have to run the table if we want more than just sunbelt affiliated bowls.
Even if they're firmly ahead, they all still have difficult games remaining. SMU has to play at Navy. Navy goes to Notre Dame. Cincy and Memphis play each other. As Rick83 said, it's very possible that every American team could have two or more losses by the end of the season.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:56 pm

God lord let the season play out. We all play 12 or 13 games- not 8. Watching UNC v UVA. Neither team has just written off their seasons. Unreal the number of crappy threads that have popped up. We have a pathetic fan base.

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:57 pm

And now Cincy is down 12. Pirates couldn't get the 2 point conversion unfortunately.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:00 pm

Memphis SMU game looks like a big time game. That stadium is packed to the gills.
Not sure if that their stadium or not but that game looks bigtime from all angles. Even Herbstreit lol

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:02 pm

AppInDC wrote:
ASUTodd wrote:

Most on here are swaying too far one way or the other. The AAC is much stronger than the SBC so a 1-loss AAC will get in before a 1-loss SBC will or should. The ECU loss would be WAY worse than ours to GSU. Cincy would indeed be done in terms of NY6 talk with a bad loss and two total losses. The NY6 is now wide open if SMU loses.

If SMU and Cincy loses then the G5 teams in rankings will look like 1. Memphis 2. Boise State 3. SMU 4. App State. Had we just won we would be the highest ranked G5 team tomorrow. Good teams can't have opportunities like that and choke. We have one last chance to get back in the top 25 talk next week. If we lose we are done 100% for sure.

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:03 pm

Can’t believe Herbstreit is enjoying calling a G5 game.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:04 pm

If a two loss AAC team wins their championship, with only one P5 win, and we win out with two P5 wins and one 3 point loss I would have to believe that the committee would give us a serious look for the Cotton Bowl.
Boise St has a bad loss and a not great P5 win against Florida St. If they win the MWC I think our resume would be better...assuming we win out and it'd help if UNC would win some of their close games.
San Diego St could easily lose again as well as they're not really dominating anybody...I know I'm an optimist but I don't think the Cotton Bowl is totally out of the question for us.

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:06 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:02 pm
AppInDC wrote:
ASUTodd wrote:

Most on here are swaying too far one way or the other. The AAC is much stronger than the SBC so a 1-loss AAC will get in before a 1-loss SBC will or should. The ECU loss would be WAY worse than ours to GSU. Cincy would indeed be done in terms of NY6 talk with a bad loss and two total losses. The NY6 is now wide open if SMU loses.

If SMU and Cincy loses then the G5 teams in rankings will look like 1. Memphis 2. Boise State 3. SMU 4. App State. Had we just won we would be the highest ranked G5 team tomorrow. Good teams can't have opportunities like that and choke. We have one last chance to get back in the top 25 talk next week. If we lose we are done 100% for sure.
Probably agree with most of this. I think at this point it's theoretically possible to put together scenarios where App would be in the running. But South Carolina is last chance to make a real statement against the other G5 teams. If App wins, they're unlikely but they're in the mix. If they can't, it's hard to see that many American conference teams losing where a two loss App compares favorably. At that point, top goal is almost certainly New Orleans Bowl.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:06 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:48 pm
AppInDC wrote:
ASUTodd wrote:

It's definitely a worse loss. ECU is putrid. Problem is, national media won't respect the fact that our loss was "better".

Like i said before.... Biggest games we have left are SC and a Bowl Game to get us a chance back into the top 25. None of our other games will move the needle. It's laughable that some of my ACC friends are texting me like App is done forever. App will continue to have chances at NY6 games, but we have to be flawless. Unfortunately, we weren't this year. App just wins and grows, the Sunbelt schedule will continue to be an anchor around our neck.
We can't lose again but realistically if we win out and these two upsets tonight hold up we are back in the talk to be ranked after next week. We will drop to about 29-32 range. We win the next 2 and with a little help are back in the talk and then can get back in with a SBC title win and bowl win.

If Cincy and SMU both lose that helps us a lot. Problem is we must win out and still need a lot of help (losses by any 3 of Memphis, SDSU, Boise St, Navy) to get back in top 25 and talked as a top 3 G5 team.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:09 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:04 pm
If a two loss AAC team wins their championship, with only one P5 win, and we win out with two P5 wins and one 3 point loss I would have to believe that the committee would give us a serious look for the Cotton Bowl.
Boise St has a bad loss and a not great P5 win against Florida St. If they win the MWC I think our resume would be better...assuming we win out and it'd help if UNC would win some of their close games.
San Diego St could easily lose again as well as they're not really dominating anybody...I know I'm an optimist but I don't think the Cotton Bowl is totally out of the question for us.
We must win out and the AAC champ better have 2 losses for that to happen. It would still be close but Boise State and San Diego State must also have 2 losses. The AAC is better than the SBC but I'm not sure the MWC is. Boise State is the only reason their champ will have any legitimacy this year.

Cotton Bowl is not mathematically out of the question but there is so much that has to happen you will waste too much of your life figuring it all out. Like I said 5 weeks ago, things will play out. Not only do we need 2 MWC teams to lose one more but we need GSU to lose one, we need to win out, and we need the AAC champ to have 2 or 3 losses. That is a lot needed to happen.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:16 pm

Those games matter because of ranking and recognition. “Technically” we’re still #20 till Sunday, and if other ranked folks lose it helps build the brand of Appalachin State Football. Obviously were not really playing for a NY6 bowl, but there’s still a lot of room for growth for our program and unfortunately part of that growth and being a “top 25 team” like Drinkwitz was hired by Doug to do has to do with how other top 25 perform too.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:22 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:09 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:04 pm
We must win out and the AAC champ better have 2 losses for that to happen. It would still be close but Boise State and San Diego State must also have 2 losses. The AAC is better than the SBC but I'm not sure the MWC is. Boise State is the only reason their champ will have any legitimacy this year.

Cotton Bowl is not mathematically out of the question but there is so much that has to happen you will waste too much of your life figuring it all out. Like I said 5 weeks ago, things will play out. Not only do we need 2 MWC teams to lose one more but we need GSU to lose one, we need to win out, and we need the AAC champ to have 2 or 3 losses. That is a lot needed to happen.
I said that in my post, the AAC champ must have 2 losses but I'm not sure the MWC champion does assuming we win out. It also helps if Memphis holds on to beat SMU and it looks like ECU might blow their game...
Also, Ga Southern has several tough SBC games to play and could very easily lose one or more of those...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”