Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Gamecock game thread?

Mountaineers89
School: Appalachian State

Re: Gamecock game thread?

Unread post by Mountaineers89 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:18 pm

Anyone else notice South Carolina used fake crowd noise through the speakers? It was very obvious for their game/cocks chant when most people were gone. I thought it sounded like it at the beginning of the game as it was immediately loud and when its just fans it takes a couple times back and forth for everyone to get in sync. I know that the Atlanta Falcons got in trouble for using fake crowd noise a couple years ago in the old Georgia Dome. I am assuming there is not rule against this in college...but very embarrassing imo

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:52 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:27 am
HighPointApp wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:22 am
This is what I found on a quick Google search. I decided not to start an entire thread but chose to post my findings here. I also wanted to show what a person can find by using search engines.

"A defensive pass inference happens with no time on the clock – and the offense gets another play. An offensive holding happens on the last play and the game is over.

Can the game end on a penalty? Yes. If the time is expiring and the penalty is on the offense, the defense can accept the penalty and end the game. However, if the penalty is on the defense, the offense can accept and extend the game for one more play."

If this is not correct please let me know. In fact, post a reply here or start another thread. This is a free country and message board. I'm just trying to keep things simple and concise.
Good work. The reason I asked is because this morning on Sirius, they suggested it would have been an untimed down. Apparently, they don't know the rules as well as they think.
This is correct. It was a more than obvious hold and the game was over as soon as the flag hit the ground. If their tackle didn’t hold ADG he would have had another sack.

Overcashed

Unread post by Overcashed » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:13 pm

Mountaineers89 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:18 pm
Anyone else notice South Carolina used fake crowd noise through the speakers? It was very obvious for their game/cocks chant when most people were gone. I thought it sounded like it at the beginning of the game as it was immediately loud and when its just fans it takes a couple times back and forth for everyone to get in sync. I know that the Atlanta Falcons got in trouble for using fake crowd noise a couple years ago in the old Georgia Dome. I am assuming there is not rule against this in college...but very embarrassing imo
I definitely called that out on Reddit and their fans basically said that it was just to get the chant started and didn't seem to find any issue with that, which is pretty lame. I thought only certain places in Georgia were guilty of pumping in crowd noise but I guess that policy travels a little further north.

It's strange though, we didn't have any problems getting an APP - STATE chant rolling without any help...

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:41 pm

After attending the game, then rewatching it today:

I hope Desmond Franklin wins some sort of weekly recognition. He deserves it. He missed one tackle late in the game while dog tired and some internet blowhard calls for him to be benched, neglecting what was otherwise an outstanding game. Sad.

Nick Hampton is going to be a beast. Good golly is he a load!

Zavier Subotsch had another terrific game. I'm wondering where the genius went who called for his benching?

Three or four people on this board who purport to be football experts should back away from the keyboard once in a while. You'd do yourself a favor. Trust me.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:58 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:41 pm

I hope Desmond Franklin wins some sort of weekly recognition. He deserves it. He missed one tackle late in the game while dog tired and some internet blowhard calls for him to be benched, neglecting what was otherwise an outstanding game. Sad.

Zavier Subotsch had another terrific game. I'm wondering where the genius went who called for his benching?

Three or four people on this board who purport to be football experts should back away from the keyboard once in a while. You'd do yourself a favor. Trust me.
From the stands Franklin stood out to me and after watching the replay I’m going to call it a fantastic game for him. He made some awesome break ups and had at least one really bad pass interference call against him. I was really impressed by our secondary play.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:16 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:

Absolutely agree !!! - there is not much worse I can think of than to have our own "fans" call out a player by name for his play on the field !!! - And I will add to your comment that the player who Franklin failed to bring down is a 1st round draft choice and he will leave some NFL DBs on the ground.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Yosef77

Unread post by Yosef77 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:36 pm

Ok I know there are several conversation going on here, but I checked the clock running at near the end of the game and found I was right on how the clock was run down after the penalty for off sides on our punt. TheMoody1 replied on my question about this and said the clock does not continue after a penalty (only the play clock) but I went back and this was not the case. The clock was at 6:10 at the end of our 3rd down and ran down to 5:29 when we got the penalty for false start. The clock restarted when the refs replaced the ball and we ran another 22 seconds off until we kicked it at 5:07. So we ran over a minute off the clock from the end of the 3rd down play to the actual punt. My original question was why could we not do that again and again and take another 25 second off the clock every time while we give up only 5 yards field position each penalty. Is it possible the refs got it wrong and they should not have restarted the clock or is the scenario I am taking about really an option?

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:21 pm

I'm fairly certain the clock should not have been running and the knuckleheads got it wrong. Otherwise, why wouldn't you consistently cause the penalty to burn the clock?

Yosef77

Unread post by Yosef77 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:27 pm

Exactly. That is what I am thinking. However I have seen this before so I am not sure if they got it wrong or nobody has thought to do this. It would work really nice if we were at midfield because 20 yards would not make a lot of difference.

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:33 pm

You'd just keep getting to half the distance to the goal until you cant move back anymore and by then the clock would have run out.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:37 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:13 am
Has anyone given some thought to the possibility that perhaps Drink is serving as OC so that our coaching money pool can be spread to pay the other guys? If he had to pay a top OC $250k that is less for the defense, namely Roof? That is my theory at least.
It certainly plays a factor in having a ST coach.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:42 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:14 am
HighPointApp wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:49 pm
My take - There was a holding penalty on the play. Even if the pass was completed, it would have been negated. Game over. We win.
Would the game end there? Wouldn't we have to accept the penalty and give USC one untimed down?
No. Untimed downs only occurr on defensive penalties.

postalapp90

Unread post by postalapp90 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:50 pm

AppStateMtneer wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:21 pm
I'm fairly certain the clock should not have been running and the knuckleheads got it wrong. Otherwise, why wouldn't you consistently cause the penalty to burn the clock?
This falls . under article 4-3. Unfair clock tactics. If the referee determines a team if doing this to gain an unfair advantage at his discretion the game clock can be stopped or started.

Yosef77

Unread post by Yosef77 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:20 pm

That's interesting. I have never seen any coach test the rule.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:59 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:

Franklin definitely had a good game. I can't remember who called for him to be benched but that is definitely crazy. Josh Thomas has been a little better this year but that's just how good Josh has played. Nothing against Des. Both are real good ones. The real good news is that the safeties behind them played a ton all year and are going to be stars. I don't really expect drop off at safety in 2020, which is great.

Nick Hampton, Trey Cobb, and a couple others are going to be real good. It is clear Hampton has a shot to be big time. I will miss Gaither but I feel very good about who steps in at LB next year. Hampton just looks like a NFL LB from the field. Super long and he can run. How in the heck did SC, Clemson, UGA, UNC, NC St, etc not try to recruit him?

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:26 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:59 pm
AppGrad78 wrote:

Franklin definitely had a good game. I can't remember who called for him to be benched but that is definitely crazy. Josh Thomas has been a little better this year but that's just how good Josh has played. Nothing against Des. Both are real good ones. The real good news is that the safeties behind them played a ton all year and are going to be stars. I don't really expect drop off at safety in 2020, which is great.

Nick Hampton, Trey Cobb, and a couple others are going to be real good. It is clear Hampton has a shot to be big time. I will miss Gaither but I feel very good about who steps in at LB next year. Hampton just looks like a NFL LB from the field. Super long and he can run. How in the heck did SC, Clemson, UGA, UNC, NC St, etc not try to recruit him?
I’ve been the main one critiquing Des’ play. I’ll admit to it. He was outstanding last year and has really had a rough year this year up until this game. Since I was up in the press box, I mixed some of #6 Des’ pass breakups with #8. After watching the game back on TV, I saw that his coverage was outstanding and he looked more like his old form from last season. I previous called for him to take a seat as something has clearly been affecting his play, whether it was the early shoulder injury or something else, but his struggles had cost us some big plays more than once. When a guy is clearly not right and is pressing or over thinking, it’s not good to keep them out there until they get right. I really don’t understand all of the sensitivity on this board this season. It’s a discussion forum, not a cheerleader forum. It’s OK to discuss concerns with players, offer up opinions on rankings, have hot takes or cold takes. We shouldn’t all take stuff so personally and not be creeping in the shadows with handfuls of crow and waiting for the right moment to go shove it in someone’s face. Most of the discussions on here are thoughtful and fact based, my critique of #6 has been more than valid all year, outside of one game. I love the way he plays when he is at his best, he is a cocky and swagger filled guy, but it was obvious he was struggling.

Cheers
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:54 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:26 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:59 pm
AppGrad78 wrote:

I’ve been the main one critiquing Des’ play. I’ll admit to it. He was outstanding last year and has really had a rough year this year up until this game. Since I was up in the press box, I mixed some of #6 Des’ pass breakups with #8. After watching the game back on TV, I saw that his coverage was outstanding and he looked more like his old form from last season. I previous called for him to take a seat as something has clearly been affecting his play, whether it was the early shoulder injury or something else, but his struggles had cost us some big plays more than once. When a guy is clearly not right and is pressing or over thinking, it’s not good to keep them out there until they get right. I really don’t understand all of the sensitivity on this board this season. It’s a discussion forum, not a cheerleader forum. It’s OK to discuss concerns with players, offer up opinions on rankings, have hot takes or cold takes. We shouldn’t all take stuff so personally and not be creeping in the shadows with handfuls of crow and waiting for the right moment to go shove it in someone’s face. Most of the discussions on here are thoughtful and fact based, my critique of #6 has been more than valid all year, outside of one game. I love the way he plays when he is at his best, he is a cocky and swagger filled guy, but it was obvious he was struggling.

Cheers
To back you up, there have been times he has not played as well. I know Des will get a shot in the pros but the NFL people like Thomas a lot more. Thomas has had the better year but Des did have a much better game on Saturday. However, just because someone had a great game on Saturday does not mean they have been great all year.

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:48 pm

Josh Thomas accelerates like a cheetah.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:46 am

GoBoone wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:48 pm
Yes, and his leadership on the team is probably one of the reasons we're having this great season. An impressive young man.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:03 am

Rick83 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:46 am
GoBoone wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:48 pm
Yes, and his leadership on the team is probably one of the reasons we're having this great season. An impressive young man.
I think after this season the team should have a Josh Thomas leadership award. Given to the player on the team who gives his everything both on and off the field. And/Or make the number 7 a number that is issued by the coaching staff and team leaders to a player that exemplifies what it means to be a MOUNTAINEER! If you can't tell I am quite fond of Mr. Thomas.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”