Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

USC Twitter Bad Mouthing Our Fanbase

MtnMan09
School: Appalachian State

USC Twitter Bad Mouthing Our Fanbase

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:57 am

Anyone else seeing all of this ridiculous noise Gamecock twitter is making calling our fanbase "trashy" and "classless"? I was in Section 17 and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Even had some great conversation with a Cocks fan sitting beside me. Did anyone else? We were loud, I heard a few curse words (but heard the same from their fans), but did not witness anything that was classless. However, I did say something to some of their students who were trying to pick a fight with two of our fans in their 60s at an establishment afterwards. Now that was trashy.

fjblair

Re: USC Twitter Bad Mouthing Our Fanbase

Unread post by fjblair » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:59 am

To be expected. That's what twitter is about.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:02 am

Meh, it's like the same 8 people in every thread. They got beaten on the field and we took over their stadium, so they're ticked off. Eff em.
Give 'em hell!

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:04 am

I believe the phrase is...."haters gonna hate".
FREQS AND GEEKS!

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:11 am

They hate us cause they ain't us!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:12 am

I did read that our band played through the tribute they do at the beginning of each game for the Hilinksi kids brother who committed suicide. I saw a band member reply and refute some things, but that wasn’t one. Really hope that wasn’t the case, if so it’s a pretty bad look by the band.

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:19 am

If you don’t think there were some mouthy app fans, you’re kidding yourself. I saw a few that needed to be talked to because of their “liquid courage”...that being said, their fans have plenty of jackasses too. As for Twitter and other message boards, the majority of stupid comments probably come from kids living in their parents basement.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:22 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:12 am
I did read that our band played through the tribute they do at the beginning of each game for the Hilinksi kids brother who committed suicide. I saw a band member reply and refute some things, but that wasn’t one. Really hope that wasn’t the case, if so it’s a pretty bad look by the band.
I saw that thread, too. It sounded like the band wasn't aware of the tradition and couldn't hear the PA announcement of the tribute. Sounds like maybe SC should inform the band director "these are times we'd like for you not to play, as we do something special". Still our band's fault, but not entirely.
Give 'em hell!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:27 am

Frankly from Section 17, I could barely hear the PA system.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:31 am

Sour Grapes

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:32 am

hapapp wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:27 am
Frankly from Section 17, I could barely hear the PA system.
Same here...from Section 18. I never heard any sort of announcement about a tribute. I remember seeing people do some kind of 3-finger thing pre-game and wasn't sure what it was all about...

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:43 am

Hi Hap, I was in section 20 and couldn't hear the ref. at all. What a great turnout! I have had friends and family across the country say that they couldn't believe how our fan base showed out and how loud we were. There was a smattering of USC fans near us and they did their best to do their cheering rants but midway through the second qtr they were mostly silent.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:44 am

Perhaps they are used to losing and teams' fans not being as excited as we were when we beat them. They should take it as a compliment that we found a victory over them a big deal.

appstategrad2008

Unread post by appstategrad2008 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:02 am

Same with difficulties in hearing the PA, also in section 17. I even noticed they had speakers on the field pointing directly up toward us, but couldn't hear a word of the referee's over-explanations for every call.

Yosef
Site Admin

Unread post by Yosef » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:10 am

Most app fans seemed great to me but I will say in my section (unsure of number but 2 rows up on the 50 behind the visitor) had one guy who was straight up kooky dook nuts. He was about as classless as it can get.

All fan bases have those idiots, but by and large, I thought our fans were great! Maybe I'm getting old, but I really didn't care for the football team tearing up the hedges at the end of the game. I get the emotion and the excitement, but we'd be ticked if Charlotte beat us at home and then started tearing up the hill or something similar.

Great atmosphere though. Absolute App fan but I love their introduction of Cocky to the fans. My kids are young and still don't care much about football but they remember the 'Cocky magic trick'. Would love for us to think of something creative that gets the kids excited and remembering App football early, which can help build the fan base at an early age.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:21 am

The only time I felt unwelcome was when I walked into the suite. The music stopped, everyone turned to look at us, and one girl looked like someone just pissed in her cornflakes. I didn't witness any bad behavior by App fans, however, if there were any USC fans left when the clock ticked 0:00, I imagine it would feel weird to feel like an outsider in your own stadium. I'd say 85% of the fans remaining when we left were App fans. If my team lost at home, all my comrades were gone, and the opposing team's fans were walking around like they owned the place and chanting everywhere, I might feel like those did from twitter.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:28 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:22 am
Yosef10 wrote:
I saw that thread, too. It sounded like the band wasn't aware of the tradition and couldn't hear the PA announcement of the tribute. Sounds like maybe SC should inform the band director "these are times we'd like for you not to play, as we do something special". Still our band's fault, but not entirely.
Overall there was a lack of communication between the bands. That's how our ended up in the upper deck of the stadium. After the SC band director highly advised against it. From what I know, our band really didn't receive info about the game and a script about "traditions" or the SC band playing, like you usually would because the band got the OK to go to the game so last minute. Normally the band travelling is decided in May or over the summer to allocate 1.5 seats per band member and prepare travel and coordinate with the hosting band.

Yosef
Site Admin

Unread post by Yosef » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:38 am

GregPercussion wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:28 am
BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:22 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Overall there was a lack of communication between the bands. That's how our ended up in the upper deck of the stadium. After the SC band director highly advised against it. From what I know, our band really didn't receive info about the game and a script about "traditions" or the SC band playing, like you usually would because the band got the OK to go to the game so last minute. Normally the band travelling is decided in May or over the summer to allocate 1.5 seats per band member and prepare travel and coordinate with the hosting band.
I know you didn't suggest this, but the decision to put the band in the upper deck was a decision our administration made against South Carolina's strong suggestion not to. I completely disagreed with this decision, though I'm sure it was about money and App selling those tickets as opposed to having to 'give' them to the band, but it was an App decision to do that not a SC decision.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:39 am

I didn't hear anything about a tribute to Hilinski's brother. I certainly would have observed it however they asked had I been aware, as I'm sure just about everyone would have.

That's the first I've heard or seen of our players damaging their hedges (and I hung around until most had left the field). Not saying it didn't happen, just didn't realize it. I think it would be fair game to maybe take a couple clippings as souvenirs (think FSU's "turf graveyard"), but hopefully it wasn't more than that.

The SC radio people said before the game that App had decided late, after we sold our allotment of tickets, to bring our band, and that was why we were in the upper deck.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:46 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:39 am
I didn't hear anything about a tribute to Hilinski's brother. I certainly would have observed it however they asked had I been aware, as I'm sure just about everyone would have.

That's the first I've heard or seen of our players damaging their hedges (and I hung around until most had left the field). Not saying it didn't happen, just didn't realize it. I think it would be fair game to maybe take a couple clippings as souvenirs (think FSU's "turf graveyard"), but hopefully it wasn't more than that.

The SC radio people said before the game that App had decided late, after we sold our allotment of tickets, to bring our band, and that was why we were in the upper deck.
I think their #89 Bryan Edwards did the most damage to the hedges on the last play of the game.
BLACK SATURDAY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”