Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

USC Twitter Bad Mouthing Our Fanbase

ASU3432Mi
School: Appalachian State

Re: USC Twitter Bad Mouthing Our Fanbase

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:31 pm

On a different note, did anyone else think the statue of George Rogers outside the stadium looked like Mack Brown?

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:32 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:02 am
Meh, it's like the same 8 people in every thread. They got beaten on the field and we took over their stadium, so they're ticked off. Eff em.
You hate to see it
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:43 pm

All of the App fans around me were good...we were in the upper deck...but I will say I saw our fans in the endzone corner waving bye and taunting many of the USC fans who were leaving early in the 3rd quarter as they walked by into the tunnel

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:44 pm

Yosef wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:38 am
GregPercussion wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:28 am
BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:22 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:12 am
I did read that our band played through the tribute they do at the beginning of each game for the Hilinksi kids brother who committed suicide. I saw a band member reply and refute some things, but that wasn’t one. Really hope that wasn’t the case, if so it’s a pretty bad look by the band.
I saw that thread, too. It sounded like the band wasn't aware of the tradition and couldn't hear the PA announcement of the tribute. Sounds like maybe SC should inform the band director "these are times we'd like for you not to play, as we do something special". Still our band's fault, but not entirely.
Overall there was a lack of communication between the bands. That's how our ended up in the upper deck of the stadium. After the SC band director highly advised against it. From what I know, our band really didn't receive info about the game and a script about "traditions" or the SC band playing, like you usually would because the band got the OK to go to the game so last minute. Normally the band travelling is decided in May or over the summer to allocate 1.5 seats per band member and prepare travel and coordinate with the hosting band.
I know you didn't suggest this, but the decision to put the band in the upper deck was a decision our administration made against South Carolina's strong suggestion not to. I completely disagreed with this decision, though I'm sure it was about money and App selling those tickets as opposed to having to 'give' them to the band, but it was an App decision to do that not a SC decision.
You are correct. It was highly discouraged by SC and they said they've never had a band up there. I believe it had to do with it being last minute and the ticket sales. But like you said, it was definitely App's decision; and more the athletics decision over the bands.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:04 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:46 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:39 am
I didn't hear anything about a tribute to Hilinski's brother. I certainly would have observed it however they asked had I been aware, as I'm sure just about everyone would have.

That's the first I've heard or seen of our players damaging their hedges (and I hung around until most had left the field). Not saying it didn't happen, just didn't realize it. I think it would be fair game to maybe take a couple clippings as souvenirs (think FSU's "turf graveyard"), but hopefully it wasn't more than that.

The SC radio people said before the game that App had decided late, after we sold our allotment of tickets, to bring our band, and that was why we were in the upper deck.
I think their #89 Bryan Edwards did the most damage to the hedges on the last play of the game.
I think it's unfair to put all the blame on Edwards as Hilinski was equally responsible.

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:07 pm

appfan22 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:58 am
I did not attend the game, but I did see where an individual made a comment that App fans were chanting "ASU" during USC's alma mater. I witnessed the same thing happen at Clemson a few years ago.

Bottom line - the ASU chant is cringe-worthy, and to do it during a unique pre-game tradition makes our fan base look more like trolls than fans of our own team. I wouldn't lose any sleep if I were to never hear that chant again. It lacks originality and doesn't represent our unique football culture to outsiders.
You have got to be kidding me. The ASU chant is "cringe-worthy"???? Its been around since at least the early 00s and it always gets people going. Say what you want, but seeing our fan base coopt Sandstorm at the beginning of the game for that chant was one of the coolest things I have seen. The energy was electric. Not sure how a chant that uses our initials fails to "represent our unique football culture." Do you bash the kids for saying Neers too?

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:15 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:02 am
Meh, it's like the same 8 people in every thread. They got beaten on the field and we took over their stadium, so they're ticked off. Eff em.

We took over their stadium in sound volume but not in numbers. Rather have the sound volume if can't have both.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Overcashed

Unread post by Overcashed » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:19 pm

MtnMan09 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:07 pm
You have got to be kidding me. The ASU chant is "cringe-worthy"???? Its been around since at least the early 00s and it always gets people going. Say what you want, but seeing our fan base coopt Sandstorm at the beginning of the game for that chant was one of the coolest things I have seen. The energy was electric. Not sure how a chant that uses our initials fails to "represent our unique football culture." Do you bash the kids for saying Neers too?
I miss the old A-S-U touchdown flags that would start A-S-U-U-S-A chants after we scored.

Also a neutral fan on Reddit that was at the game said that we needed to learn more chants than just "A S U" and "App - State", like what else do you really want us to do?! We did get a solid little "I said its great to be a Mountaineer" going post game, but I doubt they stuck around for that.
Last edited by Overcashed on Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:19 pm

MtnMan09 wrote:
appfan22 wrote:
I did not attend the game, but I did see where an individual made a comment that App fans were chanting "ASU" during USC's alma mater. I witnessed the same thing happen at Clemson a few years ago.

Bottom line - the ASU chant is cringe-worthy, and to do it during a unique pre-game tradition makes our fan base look more like trolls than fans of our own team. I wouldn't lose any sleep if I were to never hear that chant again. It lacks originality and doesn't represent our unique football culture to outsiders.
FWIW, the ASU chant goes back to the first days after becoming ASU from ASTC. I like it even better than APP-----STATE. But that's just me because everybody can join in unison on ASU but have to split on APP---STATE.
FTR, either one is music to my ears.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:26 pm

I was personally hoping for an "S-B-C" chant after the game, but no dice.

;)

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:32 pm

I’m pretty certain that the maintenance crew does more “damage” with their hedge trimmers than what our players did after that win. And, if you don’t want the opposing team plucking the branches off of your precious hedges, I’d suggest winning the game. Jus’ sayin’!

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:44 pm

NewApp wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:19 pm
MtnMan09 wrote:
appfan22 wrote:

FWIW, the ASU chant goes back to the first days after becoming ASU from ASTC. I like it even better than APP-----STATE. But that's just me because everybody can join in unison on ASU but have to split on APP---STATE.
The ASU chant is the OG. It’s been going on since at least 1978 and I’m sure longer than that. I for one love it and APP STATE too.

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:49 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:26 pm
I was personally hoping for an "S-B-C" chant after the game, but no dice.

;)
Haha see I saw A-S-U as our answer to the S-E-C chant they are so fond of.

goapps

Unread post by goapps » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:57 pm

The love the ASU chant, that and "it's great to be a Mountaineer" are my favorites.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:18 pm

canes_mj wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:43 pm
All of the App fans around me were good...we were in the upper deck...but I will say I saw our fans in the endzone corner waving bye and taunting many of the USC fans who were leaving early in the 3rd quarter as they walked by into the tunnel
Yeah, I thought that was bad form. I'm not sure what motivates people to behave like that.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:22 pm

NewApp wrote:
MtnMan09 wrote:
appfan22 wrote:

Frankly, I'm not a fan of the ASU chant either. I really don't even like referencing ASU. I really do prefer App State because it is distinctive and no one else can claim it. That said, I was chanting A-S-U on Saturday night.

Kafarmer

Unread post by Kafarmer » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:30 pm

All fan bases have the extremes. Don’t lump everybody in with those extremes.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:42 pm

Overcashed wrote:
Also a neutral fan on Reddit that was at the game said that we needed to learn more chants than just "A S U" and "App - State"
I have to agree with this neutral fan. I wish we could find a couple more crowd chants to get everyone at KBS in unison. And no, I'm not talking about everyone screaming "BS" when the refs throw a flag. Something along the lines of Clemson's cadence count and Arkansas' "woo pig sooie" but unique to App. This needs to be a SYC led initiative though.

I really like Texas A&M's midnight yell tradition and think App should copy cat the idea. Maybe not have it before every home game but do something before the 1st home game of each season right after school starts that gets the student section (and other fans) on the same page, including learning our alma mater. Also some coordinated swaying/rocking back and forth to get everyone engaged which also looks good on tv.

"You can't do that" seems to be the newest trend in chants after an opposing team gets a flag.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:54 pm

I’d like for “Hi Hi...Yikas” to become some kind of chant or greeting.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

bettysburner

Unread post by bettysburner » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:58 pm

MtnMan09 wrote:
appfan22 wrote:

Thoughts from a 2017 grad:

The ASU chant is booty.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”