Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

#25 CFP

Black Saturday
School: Appalachian State

Re: #25 CFP

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:24 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:15 pm
GreatAppSt wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:53 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:47 am
Not gonna happen if he keeps closing the playbook and shutting down the offense as soon as we go two scores up.
That's been Apps modus operandi for the last 2 coaching regimes. ;)
What, winning?
I heard there is a new sheriff in town, maybe he'll do stuff his own way?
BLACK SATURDAY

asu1978

Unread post by asu1978 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:56 pm

Seven FBS programs in the state of NC & we are the only one listed. WE RULE :D

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:51 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:07 pm
There was some discussion this afternoon about the committee and it's decisions. They talked about how could Georgia be at 4 with a home loss to what will probably be a 4-8 South Carolina. One of the guys theorized that perhaps the committee is allowing for a one off conference loss to a rival (sound familiar?). Perhaps that is partially why we are ranked even with a loss and why it is not out of the realm of possibility that we could still grab that NY6 bid. If the committee is not punishing Georgia for a home loss to South Carolina (which they probably should) then perhaps they are looking farther down the list and if things play out maybe...
Last night was the first time I ever watched the CFP ranking show. I thought if we won out we would be ranked by years end, but didn't think we would be ranked last night. However, a buddy of mine told me on the drive back from SC that he felt it was a possibility, so that's why I watched...

...and because I watched I actually learned something...Apparently the committee wipes the slate clean every weak and re-evaluates every team. I believe that is why (I assume) App came in at #25 and SMU is now not ranked. This seems to be very different that the AP and the coaches poll.

So, with that being said, I agree with many posts on this thread that you can not just win, but need to win going away or be subject to getting dropped. Also, based on this the teams ahead of us do not have to lose in order for App to jump them. One of them losing is the obvious way to jump a team, but it seems it is not out of the realm of possibility to move ahead when both teams win.

I feel like all the G5 teams ahead of us are good, but I also feel like if App played any one of them in would be a toss-up game...there is no clear cut team like UCF (most recently) or Boise (in years past)...all of them (including App) are vulnerable, which will make the ending of this season such a fun ride.

TurfMonkey

Unread post by TurfMonkey » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:55 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:46 pm
TurfMonkey wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:38 pm
Wow! Doing some mental math to figure out how we crack the top 4.
Very proud!
Not hard to figure out. Navy is probably out of it after the Notre Dame game and then we need them to become a spoiler. Memphis and Cincy play in the regular season so one will cancel out the other. They probably meet again, so we would need the two loss team to win the CCG. And of course we need BSU to fall off. Although, it is conceivable that if we and Boise finish each with one loss then we can leapfrog them in the CFP. Need to go 1-0 for the next 4 weeks though.

Meant the Playoffs. Need Western to beat Bama 1st.

rbarthle17
Site Admin

Unread post by rbarthle17 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:02 pm

Are we now in a situation where we need "style points"? If as was mentioned earlier "the committee wipes the slate clean every week and re-evaluates every team", then we need to not just beat Ga State, Tx State, and Troy but beat them badly. Something to separate us from the other G5 teams since we won't have anything in terms of remaining SOS to fight them with.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:13 pm

rbarthle17 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:02 pm
Are we now in a situation where we need "style points"? If as was mentioned earlier "the committee wipes the slate clean every week and re-evaluates every team", then we need to not just beat Ga State, Tx State, and Troy but beat them badly. Something to separate us from the other G5 teams since we won't have anything in terms of remaining SOS to fight them with.
Yes. Given the next three teams we play, the baseline for a top 25 team is to blow them out. And because we can’t really do much to help ourselves and the CFP puts a ton of weight on SoS, we could easily get jumped from behind by a P5 who scores a big win - say, if Indiana upsets Penn St., or Texas A&M blows out SC.

Hopefully we win big and a couple teams ahead of us lose to give us some cushion to at least stay in the rankings.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:32 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:13 pm
rbarthle17 wrote:
Yes. Given the next three teams we play, the baseline for a top 25 team is to blow them out. And because we can’t really do much to help ourselves and the CFP puts a ton of weight on SoS, we could easily get jumped from behind by a P5 who scores a big win - say, if Indiana upsets Penn St., or Texas A&M blows out SC.

Hopefully we win big and a couple teams ahead of us lose to give us some cushion to at least stay in the rankings.
At this point I don’t think we need to be concerned with what other lower level P5’s do as far as winning. We are pretty much in a 5 team playoff now. If any of the 5 lose this week they are probably dropped from the playoff ranking. We obviously can’t lose one game and get back in but one of the AAC teams could. Like it’s been spelled out 100 different ways. Those guys need to eat each other and Boise needs to lay an egg along the way. Pretty simple.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:44 pm

We don’t need style points. We need to win out and see what happens. Eli isn’t interested in winning by 40. He is interested in just winning.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:40 pm

I don't think we must have style points either. I do believe we must beat the points spread or close. A close win like SMU that was a 20 point favored we could drop out. So we should win as expected and not survive them. Just take care of business

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:29 pm

appst89 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:10 pm
AppInDC wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:57 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:51 am
AppFan11 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:59 am
To address the idea that Cincy’s loss to OSU is a “good” loss; really, that was like a FCS loss. A good loss was like when we played UGA in’17 like 31-10... that is a good loss. Believe it or not if we played OSU we would not lose 49-0. Yesterday on a Greenville sports radio station, they were talking about Minn. schedule and saying, that their come from behind win with GASO was “ok.” Referring to they are not a bad team. Whether the CFP thinks that way, who knows? ULL and GASO and Apps could beat any of the the AAC teams. Lastly, we are in the process of raising the SBC standards and perceptions nationally.
We were down 31-0 to Georgia and they put in backups when we scored the 10 points. That game could have been 42-0 if Georgia wanted it to be. That would not happen this year but still in 2017 we were not as close as the score appeared.

That Cincy loss looked awful at the time but based on what we know now the committee is clearly saying it is not that bad, and they should. It was 7-0 at the end of the first quarter and 28-0 at halftime. They beat a top 15 Wisconsin team 38-7. Ohio State is killing everyone. If we played Ohio State the line would probably be 40-45 and it should be. Ohio State is the most dominant team so far. The only reason LSU passed them was the Alabama win. Ohio State will be #1 if they win the rest of their games by double digits. They have Penn State and Michigan left.
Just to add on Ohio State, the Buckeyes by some metrics are looking like the strongest college football team in 25 years. That doesn't mean I am guaranteeing they win out or finish as national champs. But as of now, I am picking them against anybody on a neutral field and it likely would be double digits. Their smallest margin of victory is 24 so I don't think we can drag Cincy too much for what happened.
I'll take LSU or Clemson on a neutral field against them. They haven't played anybody this year. They get credit for Michigan and Wisconsin, but I don't think either of them are very good.
Clemson gets to rest their starters half of every game they play so they should be very well rested and healthy at the end of the the year compared to a team like Ohio State that has to face a ranked team in almost 50% of the games they play in the regular season.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:28 am

La Tech losing last night prevents them from leap-frogging us. They now have 2 losses with no signature wins. Hopefully, today will be another big day for us.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:53 am

Rick83 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:28 am
La Tech losing last night prevents them from leap-frogging us. They now have 2 losses with no signature wins. Hopefully, today will be another big day for us.
We want New Mexico, USF, Houston, and Notre Dame to win today.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:01 pm

More importantly, we need ULM to win.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:10 pm

We win, N O T H I N G else matters in the SBC games.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:35 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:13 pm
rbarthle17 wrote:

And in reality we need Indiana to lose to Penn State by a good margin and show they don't belong in the top 25. We actually got good news last night in that Louisiana Tech lost. I know they are behind us but any team ahead of us in a ballot needs to go down so we can move up. If things go right this week we could be as high as 19-20 and worst case 25 with a margin between us and 24 if we win. If we lose then we are definitely done and probably have just 1-2 votes next week with any shot at finishing ranked, when is matters at the end of the season, down the toilet. If we win by a good margin today then we can start looking around and seeing how much help we get.

I do know that an ideal day for us moving up would be if Indiana, Navy, Kansas State, Boise State, Iowa, Texas, Texas A&M, and Wake Forest all lose. I firmly believe that at least 3-4 of them will lose today.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:37 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:10 pm
We win, N O T H I N G else matters in the SBC games.
I'm with you 100% as far as winning a conference title. Believe it or not seeing ULL and Georgia Southern win out helps us as far as strength of schedule. As long as we win it still does not matter much but I would love for ULL to come to Boone for the SBC title as a 10-2 team in the 28-34 range receiving votes. It would look like a very good win going into the final CFP Rankings.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:42 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Yes some of our fans don't see it but La Tech and those 1-8 spots behind us in receiving votes need to lose. Not only does it prevent them from leapfrogging us but also gives us more votes and a cushion. Once November comes the rankings really matter and give you an idea of how good a team probably is. Plus, this is the home stretch in recruiting for the early period. We now need players to see us ranked higher and higher late in the season. Week 2 is forgotten and does not mean much but weeks 10-14 is when being ranked can possibly sway some recruits along with a good visit.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:49 pm

We can stay at #25 as long as we are the highest ranked group of 5 conference champions. Need 4 wins and help to get there. Beat Georgia State!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:40 pm

Rick83 wrote:
They were never going to jump us anyway, at least without us losing again. Personally I was hoping we’d both win out and meet in NOLA with both teams being ranked. (Barring a Cotton Bowl bid, obvs)

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:41 pm

Navy is taking a beating right now. Theyll fall out

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”