Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

#25 CFP

Rick83
School: Appalachian State

Re: #25 CFP

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:27 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:36 pm
Boonegoon wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:13 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:10 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:03 pm
How insane is it that Wake is in line right now to play in the freaking Orange Bowl and we could go 12-1 and be back in New Orleans? Crazy
Whoever the ACC sends to the Orange Bowl will almost certainly be ranked lower than multiple G5 teams (most likely, not ranked at all).
Certainly not fair but FBS has never been about fairness. Keep the money in the pockets of the big conferences. Always
Honestly it's not just bad for the G5s, it's bad for the bowls themselves. I'm not saying that Orange Bowl bid should go to a G5, but there will be plenty of teams in other P5 leagues that are way better than whoever the ACC sends to Miami.

All the specific conference tie-ins that send a "backup" team from the same league when the champion is in the CFP really water down the other games.
The weird thing about the Orange Bowl is that if Wake wants to still have any kind of a shot at it they have to lose this weekend to Clemson. If Wake were to beat Clemson then Clemson is not in the playoffs...so Clemson most likely gets the Orange Bowl slot. I believe if Clemson makes the playoff and no other ACC team is ranked by the committee the Orange Bowl has the freedom to choose whomever they want, I would think Miami would be a front runner for obvious reasons.
Also, Wake has lost that Surrat kid for the season, he's like the league's leading receiver.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:47 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:16 am
Agree with a bunch of guys here. 1-0 ass whipping must be the mantra every week now. Eye test matters!
Not gonna happen if he keeps closing the playbook and shutting down the offense as soon as we go two scores up.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:53 am

So, this is another first for the Sun Belt thanks to us, AND another resume item for the AAC to consider us as a replacement for UConn. IF they decide to replace them.
Hopefully our guys will smell blood in the water and feast upon our next 4 opponents to claim the Sun Belt championship.
I'll bet someone in the C-USA home office lost some sleep last night thinking about what could have been... :lol:

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:35 am

AppinATL wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:47 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Agree with a bunch of guys here. 1-0 ass whipping must be the mantra every week now. Eye test matters!
Not gonna happen if he keeps closing the playbook and shutting down the offense as soon as we go two scores up.
Very true but I have a feeling that Drink is FULLY aware of the deal now. He knew that the most important thing last Saturday night was to get the W no matter what. I believe that had we beaten them by 10 or even 14 points we would still be ranked number 25 (which is okay). From here on out though style points and the eyeball test has to make a difference. SMU beat ECU but obviously has no defense to speak of. From what I have seen most of the AAC teams are similar in that regard. Only one of those teams will win the conference championship so we just need to keep the pedal to the metal and let the chips fall.

teller

Unread post by teller » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:06 am

Is it just me or has the passing game gone south as the season has progressed? I get that we have to control line of scrimmage, etc., etc. but I just don't see us continuing to win games by barely squeaking it out as we have done against UNC and SC. I feel as though the play calling favoring the run game has taken Zac out of his rhythm and ultimately caused him to regress with his throwing ability. When he has thrown the long ball, receivers are having to slow down or back track to the ball.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:51 am

AppFan11 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:59 am
To address the idea that Cincy’s loss to OSU is a “good” loss; really, that was like a FCS loss. A good loss was like when we played UGA in’17 like 31-10... that is a good loss. Believe it or not if we played OSU we would not lose 49-0. Yesterday on a Greenville sports radio station, they were talking about Minn. schedule and saying, that their come from behind win with GASO was “ok.” Referring to they are not a bad team. Whether the CFP thinks that way, who knows? ULL and GASO and Apps could beat any of the the AAC teams. Lastly, we are in the process of raising the SBC standards and perceptions nationally.
We were down 31-0 to Georgia and they put in backups when we scored the 10 points. That game could have been 42-0 if Georgia wanted it to be. That would not happen this year but still in 2017 we were not as close as the score appeared.

That Cincy loss looked awful at the time but based on what we know now the committee is clearly saying it is not that bad, and they should. It was 7-0 at the end of the first quarter and 28-0 at halftime. They beat a top 15 Wisconsin team 38-7. Ohio State is killing everyone. If we played Ohio State the line would probably be 40-45 and it should be. Ohio State is the most dominant team so far. The only reason LSU passed them was the Alabama win. Ohio State will be #1 if they win the rest of their games by double digits. They have Penn State and Michigan left.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:53 am

AppinATL wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Eye test always matters. If you win big you move up more. It just means way more now because we have teams who need to lose plus we need to win AND look good at the same time. Just winning by 7 every week will allow another team who is winning in the AAC to stay ahead of us.

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:57 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:51 am
AppFan11 wrote:
To address the idea that Cincy’s loss to OSU is a “good” loss; really, that was like a FCS loss. A good loss was like when we played UGA in’17 like 31-10... that is a good loss. Believe it or not if we played OSU we would not lose 49-0. Yesterday on a Greenville sports radio station, they were talking about Minn. schedule and saying, that their come from behind win with GASO was “ok.” Referring to they are not a bad team. Whether the CFP thinks that way, who knows? ULL and GASO and Apps could beat any of the the AAC teams. Lastly, we are in the process of raising the SBC standards and perceptions nationally.
We were down 31-0 to Georgia and they put in backups when we scored the 10 points. That game could have been 42-0 if Georgia wanted it to be. That would not happen this year but still in 2017 we were not as close as the score appeared.

That Cincy loss looked awful at the time but based on what we know now the committee is clearly saying it is not that bad, and they should. It was 7-0 at the end of the first quarter and 28-0 at halftime. They beat a top 15 Wisconsin team 38-7. Ohio State is killing everyone. If we played Ohio State the line would probably be 40-45 and it should be. Ohio State is the most dominant team so far. The only reason LSU passed them was the Alabama win. Ohio State will be #1 if they win the rest of their games by double digits. They have Penn State and Michigan left.
Just to add on Ohio State, the Buckeyes by some metrics are looking like the strongest college football team in 25 years. That doesn't mean I am guaranteeing they win out or finish as national champs. But as of now, I am picking them against anybody on a neutral field and it likely would be double digits. Their smallest margin of victory is 24 so I don't think we can drag Cincy too much for what happened.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:10 pm

AppInDC wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:57 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppFan11 wrote:

Just to add on Ohio State, the Buckeyes by some metrics are looking like the strongest college football team in 25 years. That doesn't mean I am guaranteeing they win out or finish as national champs. But as of now, I am picking them against anybody on a neutral field and it likely would be double digits. Their smallest margin of victory is 24 so I don't think we can drag Cincy too much for what happened.
I'll take LSU or Clemson on a neutral field against them. They haven't played anybody this year. They get credit for Michigan and Wisconsin, but I don't think either of them are very good.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:32 pm

AppInDC wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppFan11 wrote:

I'm with you and the committee is not for sure. Had it been say a 10-14 point loss I bet Cincy would be ranked like 9-10 right now. Cincy has a chance to really boost their SOS here over the next few weeks even more. We can't just win out. We have to win by more than the spread and hope for some losses. This is why I don't think NY6 is a realistic shot until we see where we are in 3 weeks. There is a lot that has to happen and if we just scrape by then they will pick the AAC champ over us.

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:55 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:32 pm
AppInDC wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppFan11 wrote:

I'm with you and the committee is not for sure. Had it been say a 10-14 point loss I bet Cincy would be ranked like 9-10 right now. Cincy has a chance to really boost their SOS here over the next few weeks even more. We can't just win out. We have to win by more than the spread and hope for some losses. This is why I don't think NY6 is a realistic shot until we see where we are in 3 weeks. There is a lot that has to happen and if we just scrape by then they will pick the AAC champ over us.
I actually feel good where we are because there are three weeks left. Win out obviously because a two loss Sun Belt champ probably not getting through the hodgepodge of teams in American, Boise, and LA Tech. But as of now, plenty of time and chances for all the American teams to have two or more losses. Currently most worried about Boise winning out. I worry one loss Boise might edge out one loss App in a close race just because they are more a known quantity.

But if we end up 12-1 with a Sun Belt title, that exceeds my goals and expectations for the year. If getting disappointed in no Cotton Bowl is the worst thing that happens this season, it's a great one in my book.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:01 pm

"But if we end up 12-1 with a Sun Belt title, that exceeds my goals and expectations for the year. If getting disappointed in no Cotton Bowl is the worst thing that happens this season, it's a great one in my book."

I know, right? It's like when you complain about the drive-thru giving you a quarter pounder with cheese when you ordered a double quarter pounder with cheese even though they only charged you for the quarter pounder...first world problems.
I tell ya, I love just being in the national conversation. Perhaps this year is not our year for the NY6, perhaps it's next year.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:27 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:01 pm
"But if we end up 12-1 with a Sun Belt title, that exceeds my goals and expectations for the year. If getting disappointed in no Cotton Bowl is the worst thing that happens this season, it's a great one in my book."

I know, right? It's like when you complain about the drive-thru giving you a quarter pounder with cheese when you ordered a double quarter pounder with cheese even though they only charged you for the quarter pounder...first world problems.
I tell ya, I love just being in the national conversation. Perhaps this year is not our year for the NY6, perhaps it's next year.
This. We're in week 12 of our 5th season of Bowl eligibility and legitimately in the NY6 conversation. It's been a heck of a run so far!
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:01 pm

It's hard to look at things with perspective sometimes, especially after you've gotten a little taste of the potential good life (a Cotton Bowl bid). In reality, 12-1 and a conference championship, bowl bid and victory, 2 P5 wins...that's a season that pretty much every other team in G5 would take in a heartbeat. Of course, we aren't everyone else, and we have high expectations. But let's temper it with some reality, too.
Give 'em hell!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:39 pm

all this...plus basketball. Satterfield was wrong. it does get better.

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:42 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:01 pm
It's hard to look at things with perspective sometimes, especially after you've gotten a little taste of the potential good life (a Cotton Bowl bid). In reality, 12-1 and a conference championship, bowl bid and victory, 2 P5 wins...that's a season that pretty much every other team in G5 would take in a heartbeat. Of course, we aren't everyone else, and we have high expectations. But let's temper it with some reality, too.
I think it's good to write down goals beforehand so you can go back and see where you compare. My measure for success was win at least nine games in the regular season. Preferably get another Sun Belt title and a bowl win. I said I would be really be pleased if we beat either UNC or South Carolina, win out in Sun Belt, and challenge for a NY6 bowl.

- We could go 1-2 in the next three weeks. This board would melt down but that would still hit my baseline.
- App controls destiny for Sun Belt. Some tough games remaining and Louisiana has been better than expected but we're gunning for a second showdown
- Already bowl eligible. Whoever we play, we have a chance to go 5 for 5 in five years of bowl eligibility
- Beat BOTH North Carolina and South Carolina
- Georgia Southern ruined the Sun Belt unbeaten dream. Oh well
- NY6 was always a stretch because even if we go unbeaten, there is no guarantee others don't or if committe prefers other candidates. But as of now, we are 5th in line. That's pretty great to say in mid-November.

So looking all that, I am feeling really solid about what we have accomplished and what we could accomplish. If you joined in the fun a few weeks ago with an attitude of undefeated or bust, Cotton Bowl at worst, and Playoffs & #WeWantBama then you're probably in rough shape.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:53 pm

AppinATL wrote:
That's been Apps modus operandi for the last 2 coaching regimes. ;)

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:58 pm

GreatAppSt wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:53 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Just for the record, App's national rank in scoring margin:

2019: 16
2018: 5
2017: 20
2016: 18
2015: 10

Y'all must be some sadistic dudes! :lol:

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:07 pm

There was some discussion this afternoon about the committee and it's decisions. They talked about how could Georgia be at 4 with a home loss to what will probably be a 4-8 South Carolina. One of the guys theorized that perhaps the committee is allowing for a one off conference loss to a rival (sound familiar?). Perhaps that is partially why we are ranked even with a loss and why it is not out of the realm of possibility that we could still grab that NY6 bid. If the committee is not punishing Georgia for a home loss to South Carolina (which they probably should) then perhaps they are looking farther down the list and if things play out maybe...

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:15 pm

GreatAppSt wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:53 pm
AppinATL wrote:
What, winning?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”