Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

How App State can still get the NY6 Bowl.

Rick83
School: Appalachian State

Re: How App State can still get the NY6 Bowl.

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:16 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:08 pm
I know we'd like Temple, USF, and Utah St. to beat Cincy, Memphis, and Boise, but do we want SMU or Navy to win this week?

Really need Cincy and Memphis to lose, but both Navy and SMU would be good stories for the Cotton Bowl. I'm starting to think a 2-loss AAC champion still gets in over a 12-1 App St.
We'd want Navy to beat SMU to give them their second loss. As for the 2-loss AAC champion chosen over us at 12-1, that remains to be seen. To my knowledge the committee hasn't had that situation before. Also, it'd help if UNC gets bowl eligible which is very possible which would make that P5 win look better.
If UL somehow gets ranked and we're able to beat them in the SBC Championship game, that might give us the edge over a 2-loss AAC team. We'd then have a top 25 win and two P5 victories and just one 3-point loss to a bowl-eligible team.

asucrutch23

Unread post by asucrutch23 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:19 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
I know we'd like Temple, USF, and Utah St. to beat Cincy, Memphis, and Boise, but do we want SMU or Navy to win this week?

Really need Cincy and Memphis to lose, but both Navy and SMU would be good stories for the Cotton Bowl. I'm starting to think a 2-loss AAC champion still gets in over a 12-1 App St.
Navy will be lower than SMU in the CFP rankings tonight. So I'd rather them win. SMU will likely be right behind us tonight with a chance at a quality win to jump us.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:54 pm

We need Louisiana to keep winning and hopefully get ranked. I am amazed that they don't get more votes in the coaches poll as I would expect every SunBelt coach to vote for them. They are a good team and would beat many in the MWC and the AAC. If they can get ranked, a huge if, and we then beat a ranked team for our SunBelt Championship, I just don't see a 2 loss AAC team or MWC team being ahead of us.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:32 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:54 pm
We need Louisiana to keep winning and hopefully get ranked. I am amazed that they don't get more votes in the coaches poll as I would expect every SunBelt coach to vote for them. They are a good team and would beat many in the MWC and the AAC. If they can get ranked, a huge if, and we then beat a ranked team for our SunBelt Championship, I just don't see a 2 loss AAC team or MWC team being ahead of us.
They are a good team but they lost to Miss State by double digits who was missing a lot of key players and they have a 10 point loss to us. If they win out and beat App in the SBC title game then I could definitely see them moving into the polls. If they win out and beat App in the SBC title game then I could definitely see a lot of voters putting them on the ballot but not before then. I hope they never see the rankings this year simply because that means they would have beat us in the title game.

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:49 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:16 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

We'd want Navy to beat SMU to give them their second loss. As for the 2-loss AAC champion chosen over us at 12-1, that remains to be seen. To my knowledge the committee hasn't had that situation before. Also, it'd help if UNC gets bowl eligible which is very possible which would make that P5 win look better.
If UL somehow gets ranked and we're able to beat them in the SBC Championship game, that might give us the edge over a 2-loss AAC team. We'd then have a top 25 win and two P5 victories and just one 3-point loss to a bowl-eligible team.
So not exactly the AAC over SBC situation but in 2014 it was similar. 2 loss Boise, who gets about the same respect as the AAC, got the spot at #20 while 12-1 Marshall was left out. Marshall didn't get ranked until they hit 11-0 and then fell out since they lost the first game as a ranked team. They finished unranked in the CFP but the week they were ranked they were #24 at 11-0 and Boise was #23 at 9-2.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:56 pm

citroknight wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:49 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

So not exactly the AAC over SBC situation but in 2014 it was similar. 2 loss Boise, who gets about the same respect as the AAC, got the spot at #20 while 12-1 Marshall was left out. Marshall didn't get ranked until they hit 11-0 and then fell out since they lost the first game as a ranked team. They finished unranked in the CFP but the week they were ranked they were #24 at 11-0 and Boise was #23 at 9-2.
I don't see a P5 opponent on Marshall's schedule for 2014 at all and we've got 2 wins on the road against South Carolina (who beat Georgia) and North Carolina (who has a good shot at going to a bowl and have lost a ton of super close games and nearly upset Clemson). Am I missing something? BTW, I love your commentary on our board. :)

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:14 pm

citroknight wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

So here's the question: Was Marshall in danger of getting passed over because their schedule was bad? Or because Boise is a bigger brand and the CFP thought they'd make more money?

citroknight

Unread post by citroknight » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:25 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:56 pm
citroknight wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

I don't see a P5 opponent on Marshall's schedule for 2014 at all and we've got 2 wins on the road against South Carolina (who beat Georgia) and North Carolina (who has a good shot at going to a bowl and have lost a ton of super close games and nearly upset Clemson). Am I missing something? BTW, I love your commentary on our board. :)
Haha thank you! You guys have a great board and fan base.

To your point though, Apps 2019 schedule >>> Marshall's 2014 schedule by a mile. So while there are some similarities it's definitely not apples to apples. I don't like to necessarily inflate a P5 team just because they're P5. But no matter how you slice it, App beat two teams ranked around 50 ish in the country and both with superior resources and on paper talent than App. Marshall's out of conference schedule was absolutely atrocious. 1 FCS team and 3 bad MAC teams.

citroknight

Unread post by citroknight » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:29 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:14 pm
citroknight wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

So here's the question: Was Marshall in danger of getting passed over because their schedule was bad? Or because Boise is a bigger brand and the CFP thought they'd make more money?
A little of column A but definitely a lot of column B. I don't know if they necessarily were thinking of the money but Boise being a more established brand gets the benefit of the doubt. The same way it's maddening to see App ranked in the same part of the CFP poll as 3 and 4 loss teams. But it definitely had a lot to do with that weak schedule Marshall had. 3 MAC teams (with 6, 5, and 2 wins) and FCS Rhode island plus a conference schedule of struggling CUSA teams did them no favors. Especially once they lost a game.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:37 pm

citroknight wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:25 pm
Rick83 wrote:
citroknight wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

To your point though, Apps 2019 schedule >>> Marshall's 2014 schedule by a mile. So while there are some similarities it's definitely not apples to apples. I don't like to necessarily inflate a P5 team just because they're P5. But no matter how you slice it, App beat two teams ranked around 50 ish in the country and both with superior resources and on paper talent than App. Marshall's out of conference schedule was absolutely atrocious. 1 FCS team and 3 bad MAC teams.
Thanks, Marshall doesn't have any P5s this year either but they could still win the C-USA I suppose. Marshall and App were big rivals back in the day when they were still FCS and in the Southern Conference with us.
Also, on a personal note, UCF is my son's #1 choice for college. He's still a junior but we've made 2 visits to UCF, the last one to the new downtown campus which just opened and he loved it. Really like some of the traditions you've got even though you're a relatively young school, like the pegasus being roped off in the student union so that the students don't accidentally walk on it and be cursed against graduating. Then going to stand on it for pictures AFTER graduation... :lol:

citroknight

Unread post by citroknight » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:44 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:37 pm
citroknight wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
citroknight wrote:
Rick83 wrote:

Thanks, Marshall doesn't have any P5s this year either but they could still win the C-USA I suppose. Marshall and App were big rivals back in the day when they were still FCS and in the Southern Conference with us.
Also, on a personal note, UCF is my son's #1 choice for college. He's still a junior but we've made 2 visits to UCF, the last one to the new downtown campus which just opened and he loved it. Really like some of the traditions you've got even though you're a relatively young school, like the pegasus being roped off in the student union so that the students don't accidentally walk on it and be cursed against graduating. Then going to stand on it for pictures AFTER graduation... :lol:
That's great to hear! Would be awesome if he becomes a Knight.

I'm just curious as an alumni, what drew him to look at UCF? I'm also under the assumption you don't live in Florida but maybe you do lol. Curious to see if it's just the major he's interested in or if the Flutie effect is in full swing after a successful high profile run in football. From 2011-2016 we were pretty consistent in the number of applications we received at an average of 25k a year and not deviating much from that. Then in 2018, the first year after the 2017 undefeated run it jumped up to 32.6k.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:52 pm

citroknight wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:44 pm
Rick83 wrote:
citroknight wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
citroknight wrote:

I'm just curious as an alumni, what drew him to look at UCF? I'm also under the assumption you don't live in Florida but maybe you do lol. Curious to see if it's just the major he's interested in or if the Flutie effect is in full swing after a successful high profile run in football. From 2011-2016 we were pretty consistent in the number of applications we received at an average of 25k a year and not deviating much from that. Then in 2018, the first year after the 2017 undefeated run it jumped up to 32.6k.
He likes the digital arts/computer science program down there and they're developing that creative corridor in downtown Orlando (that the UCF campus is a part of) that has his attention. He's more of a science and technology kid vs a sports fan. He likes going up to Boone for games but he's not really into football. We live in NC and he found the program at UCF on his own. We go to Orlando frequently for Disney and Universal so he was already familiar with the area.

citroknight

Unread post by citroknight » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:58 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:52 pm
citroknight wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
citroknight wrote:
Rick83 wrote:

He likes the digital arts/computer science program down there and they're developing that creative corridor in downtown Orlando (that the UCF campus is a part of) that has his attention. He's more of a science and technology kid vs a sports fan. He likes going up to Boone for games but he's not really into football. We live in NC and he found the program at UCF on his own. We go to Orlando frequently for Disney and Universal so he was already familiar with the area.
Sounds like a sharp kid. Those are some of UCFs strongest programs. I got both my BS and MS in industrial engineering from UCF so I may be a little biased lol. But hey, if App to the AAC ever happens, now you can wrap up a Disney trip and road game trip all in one!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:18 pm

citroknight wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:58 pm
Rick83 wrote:
citroknight wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
citroknight wrote:

Sounds like a sharp kid. Those are some of UCFs strongest programs. I got both my BS and MS in industrial engineering from UCF so I may be a little biased lol. But hey, if App to the AAC ever happens, now you can wrap up a Disney trip and road game trip all in one!
Don't blame you for being biased at all! With his GPA and SAT scores he should get in without any issue. He does have one more school he wants to look at which is Southern Cal, but we're discouraging it because, you know it's in LA. Don't care for LA at all, and that would be his stretch school as it's very competitive and we don't have half a million to bribe someone..LOL.
You mentioned increased applications after your recent football success and we had something similar back in the mid 2000's when we won the three FCS championships and beat Michigan. The pool and quality of applicants increased and the overall enrollment grew, not anywhere near UCF's size which is kinda crazy to be honest, but we're approaching 20,000 students now. That's a lot for a small town like Boone.
I would love to get a home and home series with UCF, especially if he's there. That'd be totally awesome.

citroknight

Unread post by citroknight » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:41 am

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:18 pm
citroknight wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
citroknight wrote:
Rick83 wrote:

Don't blame you for being biased at all! With his GPA and SAT scores he should get in without any issue. He does have one more school he wants to look at which is Southern Cal, but we're discouraging it because, you know it's in LA. Don't care for LA at all, and that would be his stretch school as it's very competitive and we don't have half a million to bribe someone..LOL.
You mentioned increased applications after your recent football success and we had something similar back in the mid 2000's when we won the three FCS championships and beat Michigan. The pool and quality of applicants increased and the overall enrollment grew, not anywhere near UCF's size which is kinda crazy to be honest, but we're approaching 20,000 students now. That's a lot for a small town like Boone.
I would love to get a home and home series with UCF, especially if he's there. That'd be totally awesome.
Not sure if you've already looked into the Burnett Honors College at UCF but I'd strongly consider he applies to it if UCF ends up being his choice. He would get access to smaller class sizes for any Honors class he signs up for. I took my first two Calculus classes honors and it was great, they cap classes at around 12-15. Honors students also have access to an exclusive computer lab, reading room, automatically are given one of the priority spots in enrollment for class. This will guarantee a spot in classes before they fill up. It kind of helps to get the smaller college attention and feel all while still having the benefits of a large urban university.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:02 am

citroknight wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:41 am
Rick83 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:18 pm
citroknight wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
citroknight wrote:

Not sure if you've already looked into the Burnett Honors College at UCF but I'd strongly consider he applies to it if UCF ends up being his choice. He would get access to smaller class sizes for any Honors class he signs up for. I took my first two Calculus classes honors and it was great, they cap classes at around 12-15. Honors students also have access to an exclusive computer lab, reading room, automatically are given one of the priority spots in enrollment for class. This will guarantee a spot in classes before they fill up. It kind of helps to get the smaller college attention and feel all while still having the benefits of a large urban university.
Hey thanks, we'll look into that!

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:27 am

CFP Chairman was on "FULL RIDE" yesterday afternoon. Talked a lot about Memphis, Cincinnati and SMU to the Cotton Bowl, never mentioned APP State.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:11 pm

JMappfan5 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:27 am
CFP Chairman was on "FULL RIDE" yesterday afternoon. Talked a lot about Memphis, Cincinnati and SMU to the Cotton Bowl, never mentioned APP State.
And this, friends, is why athletic directors with a bottom line to feed shouldn't be in control of selecting participants in Bowls used to generate revenue for the NCAA.

To suggest they have no bias, at all, is a joke. To suggest that they manage to watch the games of teams in 1 through 40 to get the "eye test", is also a joke. No different from believing politicians with investments will do something to harm their portfolio in policy. Selecting App to the Cotton Bowl would be akin to sinking your stock value.

They need a collection of people unaffiliated with any school, or simply use the AP Poll. It isn't much different and, for the most part, the writers with voting credentials are as attuned to the games as Athletic Directors, except for sports journalists, it's literally their job.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:28 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:11 pm
JMappfan5 wrote:
And this, friends, is why athletic directors with a bottom line to feed shouldn't be in control of selecting participants in Bowls used to generate revenue for the NCAA.

To suggest they have no bias, at all, is a joke. To suggest that they manage to watch the games of teams in 1 through 40 to get the "eye test", is also a joke. No different from believing politicians with investments will do something to harm their portfolio in policy. Selecting App to the Cotton Bowl would be akin to sinking your stock value.

They need a collection of people unaffiliated with any school, or simply use the AP Poll. It isn't much different and, for the most part, the writers with voting credentials are as attuned to the games as Athletic Directors, except for sports journalists, it's literally their job.
The BCS computer worked without human bias.
BLACK SATURDAY

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:18 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:28 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:11 pm
JMappfan5 wrote:

The BCS computer worked without human bias.
I think it helps to have a human element but if the humans making the decisions have a vested interest in participants in the revenue generating bowl games, can they be trusted?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”