Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

How App State can still get the NY6 Bowl.

Yosefus
School: Appalachian State

Re: How App State can still get the NY6 Bowl.

Unread post by Yosefus » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:42 pm

Why do you think the AAC commissioner is politicking so hard for them? So they. An build a case for a 2 loss AAC champion to get the Cotton bowl bid. A 1 loss Boise St gets in, a 1 loss App St may not. We have a good case if we get there and are the only 1 loss but our short history in FBS may cloud the committee's decision.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:51 pm

Just as a reminder, the committee is supposed to only look at the current season's work and nothing from the program's history...supposed to anyway. I would like to see something from our league director making our case. Has anyone seen anything?

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:34 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:51 pm
Just as a reminder, the committee is supposed to only look at the current season's work and nothing from the program's history...supposed to anyway. I would like to see something from our league director making our case. Has anyone seen anything?
I haven't.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:54 pm

Rick83 wrote:
You could argue based on resume that Clemson is not a top 4 team but we all know that is a joke to say they don't deserve it if they stay undefeated. We want them to consider past years because while that is hurting us now with Boise State, Cincy, and Memphis having some history we will be in their shoes by 2022 or 2023 and we may need that as tiebreaker over another school who does not have it. We just need to worry about winning big every week and force the committee to flip us and the G5 team ahead of us.

Here is a real question of politics. Say Cincy and Memphis both take a loss along with Boise State and then App State and SMU are both sitting there are 12-1 and a conference champ. App has a better name than SMU over the last 20 years but SMU would likely bring more fans and obviously has location in their favor. Would the Cotton Bowl possibly be vocal in letting the CFP know they prefer SMU? We all know they would. Just like if it was between us and Navy the Cotton Bowl would much rather have us. Politics has to be a tiebreaker for some if they view both resumes as equal.

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:10 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:54 pm
Rick83 wrote:
You could argue based on resume that Clemson is not a top 4 team but we all know that is a joke to say they don't deserve it if they stay undefeated. We want them to consider past years because while that is hurting us now with Boise State, Cincy, and Memphis having some history we will be in their shoes by 2022 or 2023 and we may need that as tiebreaker over another school who does not have it. We just need to worry about winning big every week and force the committee to flip us and the G5 team ahead of us.

Here is a real question of politics. Say Cincy and Memphis both take a loss along with Boise State and then App State and SMU are both sitting there are 12-1 and a conference champ. App has a better name than SMU over the last 20 years but SMU would likely bring more fans and obviously has location in their favor. Would the Cotton Bowl possibly be vocal in letting the CFP know they prefer SMU? We all know they would. Just like if it was between us and Navy the Cotton Bowl would much rather have us. Politics has to be a tiebreaker for some if they view both resumes as equal.
I'm hoping App can get the Cotton bid but if SMU finishes as conference champion with one loss that will mean:

-SMU beat Navy on the road in a game where they are six point underdog
-SMU beat a Tulane who is bowl eligible
-Probably beat Cincinnati and possibly at their stadium

Politics aside, that sounds like a clearly superior resume when you factor in App's finish of Texas State/Troy/Louisiana.

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:29 pm

AppInDC wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:10 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Rick83 wrote:

I'm hoping App can get the Cotton bid but if SMU finishes as conference champion with one loss that will mean:

Politics aside, that sounds like a clearly superior resume when you factor in App's finish of Texas State/Troy/Louisiana.
I was about to type out the same thing! With SMU right behind App in the rankings, App would stay ahead with a similar home stretch at the end. But a win against Navy and then the AACCG against a potentially top 15 Cincinnati would push SMU past App.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:38 pm

Rick83 wrote:
The committee is made up of Athletic Directors, all of who's programs likely experience some cash flow from the CFP and NY6 bowls. I'm cynical in believing that they don't take history into account when positioning programs for bowls born out of their rankings.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:40 pm

AppInDC wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Rick83 wrote:

With SMU's defense, they probably lose to Navy. They could beat Cincy because both teams are playing terrible defense and SMU's offense seems more put together. Tulane is a decent team that could likely spoil someones season in the last three weeks.

My take, and I guess the committees take by dropping SMU, is their belief that SMU isn't going to finish the season as AAC Champs. They are positioning teams for where they think they will end up, in my opinion.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:49 pm

AppInDC wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Rick83 wrote:

I would go with them as well. I was just throwing that out there to see if anyone thinks they could argue our resume over theirs anyway. I don't really think we could.

What if they take a 2nd loss and somehow win the AAC with that win over Cincy in the title game. Then it gets very interesting because the AAC would argue that their schedule was much tougher and that they could argue. The two things we have going for us is a dominant record over bowl eligible teams and 2 P5 wins on the road.

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:45 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:49 pm
AppInDC wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Rick83 wrote:

I would go with them as well. I was just throwing that out there to see if anyone thinks they could argue our resume over theirs anyway. I don't really think we could.

What if they take a 2nd loss and somehow win the AAC with that win over Cincy in the title game. Then it gets very interesting because the AAC would argue that their schedule was much tougher and that they could argue. The two things we have going for us is a dominant record over bowl eligible teams and 2 P5 wins on the road.
Well I think this board's hope is that a one loss App compares favorably to a potential two loss AAC champ. I think it's close but don't yet have an opinion either how the committee will select or even what should happen. It will depend on which team does it and what the overall schedules look like. As an example, I'd feel better about App's chances if SMU/Memphis/Cincy all drop games this weekend vs if it ends up being Memphis/Cincy in the title game with them splitting close games back to back.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:11 pm

AppInDC wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:45 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:49 pm
AppInDC wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Rick83 wrote:

Well I think this board's hope is that a one loss App compares favorably to a potential two loss AAC champ. I think it's close but don't yet have an opinion either how the committee will select or even what should happen. It will depend on which team does it and what the overall schedules look like. As an example, I'd feel better about App's chances if SMU/Memphis/Cincy all drop games this weekend vs if it ends up being Memphis/Cincy in the title game with them splitting close games back to back.
I'm with you that best chance is if those teams lose to a team they should not lose to. If Cincy loses to Memphis by say 3 in regular season and wins the AAC title they still have an argument. A super close loss to a ranked team, loss to #2, and win all the others as opposed to us with no wins over a top 25 team and just a win over 1 team receiving votes at the time. Although at some point this year Troy, UNC, South Carolina, and ULL on our schedule have gotten votes but none had them at the time we played them unless us and ULL continue to win out.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”