Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

How App State can still get the NY6 Bowl.

AppStateMtneer
School: Appalachian State

Re: How App State can still get the NY6 Bowl.

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:18 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:25 pm
Week 12 wasn’t quite the chaos week I’d hoped for, but what better a time than WEEK 13.

My predictions:

App State beats Texas State so badly they fold the entire program

Utah State shocks Boise State

USF, stilly salty from they close loss to Cincy, upsets Memphis

A pretty good Temple team beats Cincinnati (who has looked quite beatable)

And for good measure, Navy rebounds and beats SMU

Baylor beats Texas and WVU beats Oklahoma State. Illinois upsets Iowa.

After the dust settles, App State is ranked 16 and in the driver seat.

I’m giving this my “Lock of the week” guarantee.
https://youtu.be/xZKuzwPOefs

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:35 pm

AppStateMtneer wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:18 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Week 12 wasn’t quite the chaos week I’d hoped for, but what better a time than WEEK 13.

My predictions:

https://youtu.be/xZKuzwPOefs
Hahaha fair play. I believe!!!
YNWA

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:23 am

ah59396 wrote:

My predictions:

USF really dropped a good opportunity to win against Cincy. I don't see that being the case against Memphis because USF has been absolutely routed by high powered offenses. Cincy mostly relies on their defense.

But for that same reason, Cincy is vulnerable still against Temple. But a win against Temple clinches the east for them.

I went against the grain compared to most of my fellow knight fans. When we lost to Cincy, our NY6 and conference chances were slim because we needed them to lose two or hope for a three team tiebreaker scenario.

Once we lost to Tulsa, our chance shrunk even tinier. Still, some cheered for usf (a cardinal sin lol) in hopes we could still win the east. But for me, I wanted the AAC to keep the NY6 in house.

As some of you have correctly pointed out, Cincy has been propped up by a win against us even though we're a 3 loss team. But it's the brand equity that we've built recently. If another AAC team gets the NY6 spot, it'll keep building where if we're in the mix again next year, the conference gets the respect and makes it easier for us to stay in the mix even with a loss here and there.

But it looks like a lot of you guys definitely get that since you know that continued improvement from your SBC rivals, at least the top half, will go a long way to helping you fight the AAC and MWC every year for the spot. Because I definitely expect App to fight for it every year.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:23 am

citroknight wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:23 am
ah59396 wrote:

My predictions:

USF really dropped a good opportunity to win against Cincy. I don't see that being the case against Memphis because USF has been absolutely routed by high powered offenses. Cincy mostly relies on their defense.

But for that same reason, Cincy is vulnerable still against Temple. But a win against Temple clinches the east for them.

I went against the grain compared to most of my fellow knight fans. When we lost to Cincy, our NY6 and conference chances were slim because we needed them to lose two or hope for a three team tiebreaker scenario.

Once we lost to Tulsa, our chance shrunk even tinier. Still, some cheered for usf (a cardinal sin lol) in hopes we could still win the east. But for me, I wanted the AAC to keep the NY6 in house.

As some of you have correctly pointed out, Cincy has been propped up by a win against us even though we're a 3 loss team. But it's the brand equity that we've built recently. If another AAC team gets the NY6 spot, it'll keep building where if we're in the mix again next year, the conference gets the respect and makes it easier for us to stay in the mix even with a loss here and there.

But it looks like a lot of you guys definitely get that since you know that continued improvement from your SBC rivals, at least the top half, will go a long way to helping you fight the AAC and MWC every year for the spot. Because I definitely expect App to fight for it every year.
Thanks Citro. What are your thoughts on the AAC replacing UConn? I know the NCAA has granted an exemption from divisional play for 2020 and 2021, but do you have a feel for what the long-term plan is?

citroknight

Unread post by citroknight » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:54 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:23 am
citroknight wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

My predictions:

Thanks Citro. What are your thoughts on the AAC replacing UConn? I know the NCAA has granted an exemption from divisional play for 2020 and 2021, but do you have a feel for what the long-term plan is?
I wish I had some hint of where it was going but the general feeling I got is that they don't want to add until absolutely forced to. The candidates we most likely want (BYU, Boise, SDSU, Army, Air Force) all have plenty of reasons why it wouldn't work or else it'd be a quick marriage like it was with Wichita State.

App should definitely be considered, at the very least for football only. It's like trying to buy a house without knowing exactly what part of town our job will be.

If no P5 expansion happens, then we could take a good long look at ODU, Charlotte, and Georgia State because of the high ceiling those programs have due to location, despite being pretty terrible so far in their existence. But if the current 11 have no where to go, you can take someone with long term potential.

citroknight

Unread post by citroknight » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:56 pm

Sidenote, I like this fan base. You guys are passionate but knowledgeable.

I'm not saying this for brownie points but so far I can't really stand Georgia Southern fans. Got into it the other day with a Southern fan who said UCF was completely done after losing to Tulsa. As if southern has done anything of note so far in FBS.

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:22 pm

citroknight wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:56 pm
Sidenote, I like this fan base. You guys are passionate but knowledgeable.

I'm not saying this for brownie points but so far I can't really stand Georgia Southern fans. Got into it the other day with a Southern fan who said UCF was completely done after losing to Tulsa. As if southern has done anything of note so far in FBS.
UCF is having a down season by recent standards but I have a sense we've not seen the last of the Golden Knights on the national stage. Three losses is probably too many when trying to get big bids on the G5 stage, but the three were by a combined seven points. If you look at the computer ratings, UCF rates stronger than any of the NY6 contenders from the G5. Just been unlucky this year in some key moments.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:00 pm

citroknight wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:54 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:23 am
citroknight wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

My predictions:

I wish I had some hint of where it was going but the general feeling I got is that they don't want to add until absolutely forced to. The candidates we most likely want (BYU, Boise, SDSU, Army, Air Force) all have plenty of reasons why it wouldn't work or else it'd be a quick marriage like it was with Wichita State.

App should definitely be considered, at the very least for football only. It's like trying to buy a house without knowing exactly what part of town our job will be.

If no P5 expansion happens, then we could take a good long look at ODU, Charlotte, and Georgia State because of the high ceiling those programs have due to location, despite being pretty terrible so far in their existence. But if the current 11 have no where to go, you can take someone with long term potential.
Georgia State has actually positioned itself pretty well with their recent basketball success, moving into GSU football stadium, and building a new basketball arena. Couple that with their legitimate research credentials and its really not half bad. Too bad no one in ATL gives two sh*ts about them.

App just needs to keep building its brand, earning a NY6 bid against a legit AAC contender would do wonders for us. Also improve basketball and having the chancellor spearhead a few new Dr programs would make us more appealing.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:08 pm

If the AAC is serious about wanting to convince the P5 to let them in and have a P6 then they should go for the strongest football schools, Boise and App State. They can go and make the same mistake that Conference USA made and look for market size with no regard to teams ability or following or culture and I would bet they would suffer a similar fate.
That is, those schools will not provide any upside to the conference in football despite their large media markets. They need G5 schools that are football schools and can compete and beat P5 schools, not previous commuter schools with upstart programs that have very little interest in their own market. Although, the AAC is made up of mostly urban schools in large markets so who knows what they do. I just know that replacing a bad football school with an even worse football school (Charlotte, Ga State, ODU, etc) won't wake them any more attractive as a P6.

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:39 pm

If an opportunity like the AAC comes calling, you jump on it. But personally I am thrilled where App is in terms of exposure, success and conference.

Currently there are 5 conferences playing for 1 NY6 game and eventually those same conferences will be playing for a bid to get into the CFP when they expand to 8 playoff teams. That will not change no matter what conference App is in, 5 conferences, 1 bid.

AAC can offer more money and exposure, but in terms of what they are playing for on the field it's a conference title and 1 bid...App is currently playing for that right now.

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:57 pm

I get the Charlotte, GSU, ODU for their TV market argument, but eventually you have to win. If not, then it will be hard to maintain an interested fan base.

For a program like UNCC that has only been in existence for 7 years, I would think they would want to build a following since the majority of their alumni did not have football as part of their college experience. Only way to do that is by winning to get fans interested. They never had a winning FCS season, but yet went to CUSA. They have yet to post a winning record as member of CUSA and are currently sitting at 5-5. If they jumped to AAC they would struggle for a long time...just not sure that is how you build it, but I wish them luck.
Last edited by APP93 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:58 pm

APP93 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:39 pm
If an opportunity like the AAC comes calling, you jump on it. But personally I am thrilled where App is in terms of exposure, success and conference.

Currently there are 5 conferences playing for 1 NY6 game and eventually those same conferences will be playing for a bid to get into the CFP when they expand to 8 playoff teams. That will not change no matter what conference App is in, 5 conferences, 1 bid.

AAC can offer more money and exposure, but in terms of what they are playing for on the field it's a conference title and 1 bid...App is currently playing for that right now.
I agree w/ this somewhat...it’s kinda like Clemson having the same approach in the ACC...

citroknight

Unread post by citroknight » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:24 pm

APP93 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:57 pm
I get the Charlotte, GSU, ODU for their TV market argument, but eventually you have to win. If not, then it will be hard to maintain an interested fan base.

For a program like UNCC that has only been in existence for 7 years, I would think they would want to build a following since the majority of their alumni did not have football as part of their college experience. Only way to do that is by winning to get fans interested. They never had a winning FCS season, but yet went to CUSA. They have yet to post a winning record as member of CUSA and are currently sitting at 5-5. If they jumped to AAC they would struggle for a long time...just not sure that is how you build it, but I wish them luck.
Right now those are all extremely risky picks. Due to market alone, they all have a higher ceiling than App on paper. The problem is how late they are to those markets compared to pro teams and other college teams and they've barely existed long enough to do anything so it almost feels like they're several decades away from anything meaningful.

That's the difference in the teams that the AAC took versus CUSA. The AAC took large markets but with some sort of track record. They took every team from CUSA 2.0 (2005-2012) that ever won a division title except for Southern Miss because of their tiny budget and market. Of course, the AAC being born from the ashes meant they had first pick so CUSA could just backfill and hope that UTSA and UNT could match Houston and SMU in Texas and the F_U schools match the U_F schools in Florida.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:56 am

APP93 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:39 pm

Exactly. I think we all know we would still play for same thing but more money and more exposure means even better standing in recruiting and more resources to compete with the inept P5 schools who happen to have money. I sure would like to be known as the east coast version of Boise State and be in the AAC when we play UNC, South Carolina, East Carolina, etc. again.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:21 am

There could also be a major re-alignment in the next 5 years or so moving to more regional conferences which would make way more sense to me. Fans get more excited about the regional match-ups so they are more likely to attend the games and watch on TV or streaming. Seems like more people are starting to realize this as well as the obvious advantages of saving on travel costs and helping the student athlete not spend so much time as road warriors.
Seems like 2025, when the current TV contract expires (I think) could be a good time for such a re-alignment.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:09 am

This might have been posted elsewhere but saw this which of course is still pure speculation:

https://247sports.com/college/north-car ... 38692547_1

New Orleans Bowl: Appalachian St. vs. Southern Miss
They're also projecting UCF vs Ark State in the Cure bowl. I'd rather have UCF as our bowl opponent but I know that isn't how the alignments work.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:24 am

Rick83 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:09 am
This might have been posted elsewhere but saw this which of course is still pure speculation:

They're also projecting UCF vs Ark State in the Cure bowl. I'd rather have UCF as our bowl opponent but I know that isn't how the alignments work.
I’d like UCF as well but not at the expense of the Sunbelt crown. Plus we owe Southern Miss and ass-whooping from last season.
YNWA

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:44 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:24 am
Rick83 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:09 am

I’d like UCF as well but not at the expense of the Sunbelt crown. Plus we owe Southern Miss and ass-whooping from last season.
Agreed and I was speaking more to the way the bowl alignments don't seem to work in our favor even though we win the SBC, which is our primary objective.
The flip side of it though is that Southern Miss is going to be an easier opponent and I'd really like to get to 5 straight bowl wins. I'd put that win streak at risk in a heartbeat to get to the Cotton Bowl though, which they are projecting Florida as the P5 opponent.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:08 pm

I know we'd like Temple, USF, and Utah St. to beat Cincy, Memphis, and Boise, but do we want SMU or Navy to win this week?

Really need Cincy and Memphis to lose, but both Navy and SMU would be good stories for the Cotton Bowl. I'm starting to think a 2-loss AAC champion still gets in over a 12-1 App St.

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:11 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:08 pm
I know we'd like Temple, USF, and Utah St. to beat Cincy, Memphis, and Boise, but do we want SMU or Navy to win this week?

Really need Cincy and Memphis to lose, but both Navy and SMU would be good stories for the Cotton Bowl. I'm starting to think a 2-loss AAC champion still gets in over a 12-1 App St.
I would rather Navy win. Navy was crushed by Notre Dame, and I'd rather not have to contend with a one loss SMU champ whose only loss was to Memphis on the road.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”