Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Early Congrats to Akeem Davis-Gaither

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Early Congrats to Akeem Davis-Gaither

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:08 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:57 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:45 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:16 am
Shaq Thompson is listed at 6'0" and 230. Akeem is listed at 6'2" and about 216. Surely he can added 10 pounds at least. The difference is marginal at that point. It will just probably come down to making plays, especially on special teams and in the right defensive system he could thrive.
Gaither is thin hipped and has small calves and legs. Does not have the frame to get up to 230 comfortably I would think. He is suppose to be around 205-208 right now. If that is indeed true then my guess is 220 is his max. He does not have a wide frame but he is explosive, fast, and a sideline to sideline guy. If I'm right and he can't bulk up to 230 range then I do think he could at least be a safety.
Right. He has a lean frame, but does not lack a lot of strength. He is already in great shape and I would agree that he would have trouble adding significant weight. With an NFL SC program, he could really become a talented S/LB hybrid in the NFL. He has great instincts and technique plus really good people around him.
I'm with you. I remember when Jason Hunter could not add weight and he went from like 230 to 260 in the NFL. They can usually pack the weight on if you have the frame to do it.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:08 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:21 pm
ADG put on a show last Saturday night. Dude would not stay blocked. If the NFL guys came to Columbia to see any USC players Akeem stole the spotlight from them. I hope he can stay that motivated for 4 more weeks.
He also individually had a big game on Halloween Night. 16 tackles, 6 solo, 1.5 Tackles for Loss

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:57 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:57 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:45 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:16 am
Shaq Thompson is listed at 6'0" and 230. Akeem is listed at 6'2" and about 216. Surely he can added 10 pounds at least. The difference is marginal at that point. It will just probably come down to making plays, especially on special teams and in the right defensive system he could thrive.
Gaither is thin hipped and has small calves and legs. Does not have the frame to get up to 230 comfortably I would think. He is suppose to be around 205-208 right now. If that is indeed true then my guess is 220 is his max. He does not have a wide frame but he is explosive, fast, and a sideline to sideline guy. If I'm right and he can't bulk up to 230 range then I do think he could at least be a safety.
Right. He has a lean frame, but does not lack a lot of strength. He is already in great shape and I would agree that he would have trouble adding significant weight. With an NFL SC program, he could really become a talented S/LB hybrid in the NFL. He has great instincts and technique plus really good people around him.
The idea I believe would be for him to play that hybrid position. In the new NFL, that is going to be a requirement. I honestly think he would be a good fit for a Patriot or Seahawk defense. Considering the size the Panthers are playing with at OLB, he may fit in there decently. I expect they may go heavy though because there are issues on the interior of the defense in defending the run.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:05 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:44 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:15 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:59 pm
He is getting an invite to the Senior Bowl. This is no shock at all. I would think Josh Thomas, Des Franklin, Jordan Fehr, and Victor Johnson might get something from Shrine, NFLPA, CGS, or Hula.
Thomas and Johnson have a shot at the Senior Bowl as well, I'd think. Thomas started the year out questionable with some philosophy changed but he really has picked it up. Appears to be in a position on the defense where if you aren't as noticeable, it's a good thing.
My NFL connect said only Gaither for Senior Bowl. He thought Thomas should go Shrine for sure and has a real small shot at Senior but doubted it. This is supposedly a real good safety class.
Really surprised about Johnson. I'd like to know how many sacks he's given up in his 4 years. My guess is you can count them on one hand.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:13 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:05 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
He is getting an invite to the Senior Bowl. This is no shock at all. I would think Josh Thomas, Des Franklin, Jordan Fehr, and Victor Johnson might get something from Shrine, NFLPA, CGS, or Hula.
Thomas and Johnson have a shot at the Senior Bowl as well, I'd think. Thomas started the year out questionable with some philosophy changed but he really has picked it up. Appears to be in a position on the defense where if you aren't as noticeable, it's a good thing.
My NFL connect said only Gaither for Senior Bowl. He thought Thomas should go Shrine for sure and has a real small shot at Senior but doubted it. This is supposedly a real good safety class.
Really surprised about Johnson. I'd like to know how many sacks he's given up in his 4 years. My guess is you can count them on one hand.
Go back and watch the South Carolina game. He is playing hurt and has gotten blown up some this year. He has struggled at times. He has also had some good film. I still expect him to get 1 at the line. He falls on the ground some. Drink even said the RT is our best OL this year and I would guess the 2 guys at ULL are going to be higher vote getters. I could see both of them getting drafted.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:19 am

ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
He will get a chance. Biggest knocks on him are lateral movement and durability concerns. He has the size and they will help improve his technique, just depends on what they think his potential can be.
The Appalachian State

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:16 am

Great article on Akeem. He is a solid dude.
https://spark.adobe.com/page/eYVFJju6MNAdX/

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:52 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:19 am
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
He will get a chance. Biggest knocks on him are lateral movement and durability concerns. He has the size and they will help improve his technique, just depends on what they think his potential can be.
I'm not sure of his fit really. It seems like his best bet would be to go undrafted and choose the team with the best fit in a defensive coach who is forward looking. Seems like he could be useful in covering up tight ends and off the edge as a nickel rusher in Big Nickel packages. This will largely depend on his test numbers in the winter and spring though because if he 3 cone and other agility drills don't line up with his straight line speed and strength, it's going to be hard to run the risk of placing him on a slot receivers.

I don't understand the durability question though.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:49 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:52 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:19 am
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

I'm not sure of his fit really. It seems like his best bet would be to go undrafted and choose the team with the best fit in a defensive coach who is forward looking. Seems like he could be useful in covering up tight ends and off the edge as a nickel rusher in Big Nickel packages. This will largely depend on his test numbers in the winter and spring though because if he 3 cone and other agility drills don't line up with his straight line speed and strength, it's going to be hard to run the risk of placing him on a slot receivers.

I don't understand the durability question though.
I was talking about big vic Johnson.... Not Akeem.
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”