Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

USC Can't buy out their Coach

Gnomeneer
School: Appalachian State

USC Can't buy out their Coach

Unread post by Gnomeneer » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:38 pm

How could they afford to buy him out? They can't afford a PA system that works......

Black Saturday

Re: USC Can't buy out their Coach

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:43 pm

Before we played, I heard that it was 18 million buyout. Someone else said it changed to 22 million in December. You have to have big sugar daddys to stroke those kind of checks. Not sure SC has that kind of backing.

It's a head scratcher as to why these schools don't get rid of the ADs too, that lead them into the money give aways?
BLACK SATURDAY

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:34 am

They cannot afford to not buy him out. Buyout is 22 mil now and 18 at end of season. They could put buckets at the entrances for donations at the end of home games and could get a mill. Their people around here are crazy up-in-arms. He's done. I think. By Dec. 1 they'll be looking.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:02 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:43 pm
Before we played, I heard that it was 18 million buyout. Someone else said it changed to 22 million in December. You have to have big sugar daddys to stroke those kind of checks. Not sure SC has that kind of backing.

It's a head scratcher as to why these schools don't get rid of the ADs too, that lead them into the money give aways?
It's people spending other peoples money.

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:14 am

Just goes to show you the craziness of coaches contracts. Now I am no liberal by any stretch of the imagination, however, do you know the good that could be done with 18-22 mil? Boggles the mind.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:50 am

Black Saturday wrote:

I know you are speaking from a Salary/Contract to coaches perspective, but Ray Tanner is South Carolina's AD. Before becoming AD in 2012, he coached the baseball team to back to back National Championships in 2010 and 2011. Firing Tanner would probably cost them Booster Money.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Is it him or is it the team? I was under the impression that the Gamecocks had a lot of injuries they were dealing with.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:28 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:02 pm
Is it him or is it the team? I was under the impression that the Gamecocks had a lot of injuries they were dealing with.
They have some injuries but we have some as well and our depth outmatched them big time. The truth is that Muschamp and his staff are not great evaluators. Look how many good players in SC they have missed the last 4 years. They do a good job of sealing the deal but they pick the wrong ones. They don't have much depth because they have whiffed on a lot of high school players.

They can round up the money to buy him out but I think they need to give him two more years. This was a brutal schedule and those who know football know that losing to us is not as bad as the average moron fans thinks it is. I never thought they would win more than 6 games and really believed they would win 4 or 5 games.

Heading into the season this is how I was expecting it to go. Wouldn't you guys have agreed here? The only surprise was that if you said they would have four wins I would have expected they beat UNC or Tennessee instead of Georgia. I still view A&M as 50/50 today and Clemson as a definite loss.

Definite wins (Result)
Charleston Southern W
Kentucky W
Vanderbilt W

50/50 games
UNC L
Missouri L
Tennessee L
App State L
Texas A&M L

Definite losses
Alabama L
Georgia W
Florida L
Clemson
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:50 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:28 pm
hotrod2001 wrote:
They have some injuries but we have some as well and our depth outmatched them big time. The truth is that Muschamp and his staff are not great evaluators. Look how many good players in SC they have missed the last 4 years. They do a good job of sealing the deal but they pick the wrong ones. They don't have much depth because they have whiffed on a lot of high school players.

They can round up the money to buy him out but I think they need to give him two more years. This was a brutal schedule and those who know football know that losing to us is not as bad as the average moron fans thinks it is. I never thought they would win more than 6 games and really believed they would win 4 or 5 games.

Heading into the season this is how I was expecting it to go. Wouldn't you guys have agreed here? The only surprise was that if you said they would have four wins I would have expected they beat UNC or Tennessee instead of Georgia. I still view A&M as 50/50 today and Clemson as a definite loss.

Definite wins (Result)
Charleston Southern W
Kentucky W
Vanderbilt W

50/50 games
UNC L
Missouri L
Tennessee L
App State L
Texas A&M

Definite losses
Alabama L
Georgia W
Florida L
Clemson
You’ve gotta figure that their fan base expected the first 3 and the first 4 of your 50/50 which gets them at least to 7-5 and a bowl. Then if they somehow grabbed another one like A&M they would be ecstatic at 8-4. But nope and now the fans are enraged

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:39 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:50 am
Black Saturday wrote:

I know you are speaking from a Salary/Contract to coaches perspective, but Ray Tanner is South Carolina's AD. Before becoming AD in 2012, he coached the baseball team to back to back National Championships in 2010 and 2011. Firing Tanner would probably cost them Booster Money.
Wasn't speaking of SC alone, look at Tennessee...they are paying several head coaches and assistants. I'll bet Phil Fulmore is on his knees giving thanks that Pruitt has won the last few games. Florida State hired a coach with little success in his previous position, he didn't last 2 years. Arkansas kept fired it's coach after 22 games. The ADs should have their feet held to the fire when it involves 10s of millions of dollars of others money
BLACK SATURDAY

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:43 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:50 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:28 pm
hotrod2001 wrote:

Definite wins (Result)
Charleston Southern W
Kentucky W
Vanderbilt W

50/50 games
UNC L
Missouri L
Tennessee L
App State L
Texas A&M

Definite losses
Alabama L
Georgia W
Florida L
Clemson
You’ve gotta figure that their fan base expected the first 3 and the first 4 of your 50/50 which gets them at least to 7-5 and a bowl. Then if they somehow grabbed another one like A&M they would be ecstatic at 8-4. But nope and now the fans are enraged
The smart ones I talked to thought 6-6 or 7-5 for most part but some thought 5 was possible. I think the UGA game tricked them and made them think they might go 8-4 or 9-3. I picked them to go 5-7 but it looks like they won't even do that. I figured they would beat Missouri and Tennessee and lose to UGA.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:20 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:39 am
WASU 93 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:50 am
Black Saturday wrote:

Wasn't speaking of SC alone, look at Tennessee...they are paying several head coaches and assistants. I'll bet Phil Fulmore is on his knees giving thanks that Pruitt has won the last few games. Florida State hired a coach with little success in his previous position, he didn't last 2 years. Arkansas kept fired it's coach after 22 games. The ADs should have their feet held to the fire when it involves 10s of millions of dollars of others money
Again, I don’t totally disagree. But, in Tanner’s case if you look at his “official” page, the Gamecocks are/were #5 in the All-SEC Standings and their academics are up. I understand football is king in the SEC, but is he doing a bad job overall? Also, we don’t know the behind the scenes roll the the Boosters played in hiring/advocating for the current hires.
I think Fulmer has to deal with Jim Haslam (Owner of Pilot/Flying J) and his son Jimmy (owner of the Cleveland Browns and Columbus Crew) and who’s other son is Bill Haslam (Governor of Tennessee 2011-2019). They, along with other boosters are involved in both AD and Coaches hiring and firings.
I don’t think it’s a straight line or responsibility in the SEC (or other P5’s)

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:41 pm

Big Jim probably calls the shots
BLACK SATURDAY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”