Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Georgia state game thread

appbio91
School: Appalachian State

Re: Georgia state game thread

Unread post by appbio91 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:23 pm

At one point I saw one of the assistants holding what looked like his earpiece in place, I guess they finally taped it to his head

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:50 pm

Check this out. Found it on the sun belt forum.

https://247sports.com/college/georgia-s ... 138745355/

"Totally agree Ben. I have nothing against App St, just not interested in GSU trying to become their peer. They have a nice football program for Sun Belt level competition which has been built over 90 years. We should never aspire to reach ASU level..IMO we have so much more potential"

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:04 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:13 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:04 pm
I heard that Drink caught a cleat behind his right ear, hence the bandage.
Wait what? Lol
Yeah, he got taken out on the sideline at the end of a play. Headphones came off, visor went flying. Happened right in front of me. Thankfully not hurt worse.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:23 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:37 am
The train was almost as bad as the chicken at USC, but overall, I appreciate how hard GaSt worked to have a Gameday environment. Imagine if App had the resources GaSt had. I don't mind piped in music, as long as it's blended in well with a traditional band. They even played a lot of Lecrae/Mineo which is good CLEAN hip hop that my kids can repeat.

Blew my mind how they couldn't bring more fans for a Top 25 visitor at a good venue right in the city and basically giving away tickets. I'd probably go to every game if I lived locally.
We went from one extreme (A lot of band and tradition, with very little piped in music) to a Piped in Dance Party. I enjoyed both environments (although, I prefer the More Band in Boone). Georgia State's PA announcer is awesome.
That may be their environment every game, but I almost felt like they cranked the music at every opportunity so we couldn't get a good App State chant going and take over their stadium.
The Train Horn was obnoxious and used too often. But, hey, their fans had to live with it as well.
As good as the environment was, I would suggest that they move their students to the sideline nearest the band. They have plenty of seats near the 10 and 20, and can still sell reserved seats around the rest of the stadium.

As far as fans:
1. Most people from Georgia are Georgia Fans. There is a small contingent that is Ga. Tech fans (mostly graduates) and although they are having a losing season, their attendance was not good for a 3:30 kickoff 3 miles from Georgia State at Bobby Dodd against Virginia Tech.
2. Atlanta is not a great sports town. They have a ton of transplants and really only support teams when they are winning.
3. Georgia State is a historically commuter school (much more so than Charlotte). They are trying to transform to a "traditional" university, but it's going to take some time.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:41 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:50 pm
Check this out. Found it on the sun belt forum.

https://247sports.com/college/georgia-s ... 138745355/

"Totally agree Ben. I have nothing against App St, just not interested in GSU trying to become their peer. They have a nice football program for Sun Belt level competition which has been built over 90 years. We should never aspire to reach ASU level..IMO we have so much more potential"
Kind of the same talk we got from UNCC folks early on. Something about being in a big city makes them think players will just flock to them. I guess they never really stop to look at the locations of Alabama, Clemson, LSU etc. it’s not about the location, it’s about building a tradition of excellence.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:32 pm

Georgia State is striving to even show up on the Atlanta sports radar. But you don't build a tradition with 1 good season. I liked the big wide concourses but that building still needs a lot of very expensive work to feel like a real football stadium. Kinda reminds me of that Jerry Moore quote "how much are you willing to give up? How much are you REALLY willing to give up?" Georgia State has invested in football. Now how much are they REALLY willing to invest in football?
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:11 pm

A couple of glaring things I noticed regarding the stadium... they’ve done some nice window dressing and the facility has great bones, but already I am seeing a big drop off in maintenance. If they are not willing/able to drop a significant amount of money on upkeep, that place will turn into a s**t hole in a short amount of time. The seat next to mine was missing the actual seat, cupholders were broken off, etc.

I never saw an usher anywhere. No one to help you find your section. Ticket takers didn’t know where anything was. Poor signage for parking lots, one lot was dark as hell. I wouldn’t have parked there for free. Concessions were basic. No candy at all. But at least they have Coke products. They have us beat on that score . Some of these are little things but they add up.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:10 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:11 pm
A couple of glaring things I noticed regarding the stadium... they’ve done some nice window dressing and the facility has great bones, but already I am seeing a big drop off in maintenance. If they are not willing/able to drop a significant amount of money on upkeep, that place will turn into a s**t hole in a short amount of time. The seat next to mine was missing the actual seat, cupholders were broken off, etc.

I never saw an usher anywhere. No one to help you find your section. Ticket takers didn’t know where anything was. Poor signage for parking lots, one lot was dark as hell. I wouldn’t have parked there for free. Concessions were basic. No candy at all. But at least they have Coke products. They have us beat on that score . Some of these are little things but they add up.
That's one thing I was thinking about last night. Since, they didn't tear anything down, they have a huge facility to maintain. Power is still running all the way around the stadium and they have a ton of bathrooms, and concessions mothballed. The good news is that, if a seat is broken, you can just move to the next one. They also have a ton of spares, they could swap seats from.
In fairness, our upper East Deck is filthy. It needs to be power washed. During the warm games this season, patrons were sweating and gaining a black stripe across the back of their clothes. The walkways and ramps are black, instead of silver.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:21 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:10 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:11 pm

That's one thing I was thinking about last night. Since, they didn't tear anything down, they have a huge facility to maintain. Power is still running all the way around the stadium and they have a ton of bathrooms, and concessions mothballed. The good news is that, if a seat is broken, you can just move to the next one. They also have a ton of spares, they could swap seats from.
In fairness, our upper East Deck is filthy. It needs to be power washed. During the warm games this season, patrons were sweating and gaining a black stripe across the back of their clothes. The walkways and ramps are black, instead of silver.
I'm not sure when the last time KBS was given a good cleaning. It is pretty dirty.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:28 pm

I lost 10db worth of hearing last night from that damn train whistle on 3rd down and when they scored.

Any chance others would be interested in a class action lawsuit against Georgia State University Athletics for hearing loss?
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:22 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:28 pm
I lost 10db worth of hearing last night from that damn train whistle on 3rd down and when they scored.

Any chance others would be interested in a class action lawsuit against Georgia State University Athletics for hearing loss?
Agreed. Not sure a class action is the way to go (trust me). I suggest an email to the AD, who we should all remember, Charlie Cobb. Some emails would likely accomplish more than a lawsuit.

That thing was so loud, it could well be one thing that is keeping GaSt students away (there are probably others). I left feeling surprised that some little kid's momma had not already complained & gotten it turned WAY down. Otherwise, I thought their stadium was GREAT, and their announcer was good too. I had a gyro sub in the stadium that was really, really good. But, I saw NO GaSt students, except their band. I did see some App students there.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:08 pm

Do y'all feel like we had more fans there? It really felt like it to me.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:25 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:46 pm
Brian Quick
I love Brian, but Corey is in a whole different class. Brian relied alot on his physical gifts, Corey has the same gifts but adds a tactician element.
The Appalachian State

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:31 pm

Quick was an inch taller and maybe a little faster straight away speed, but Corey’s route running, lateral quickness and hands are better.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:30 am

Watch Noah manhandle the linebacker to the sidelines and right into Drinkwitz. That's how Drink got the head wound.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:56 pm

Coach needs to work on his reaction skills...LOL. Does that count as a pancake combo...Drink included?

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:09 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:56 pm
Coach needs to work on his reaction skills...LOL. Does that count as a pancake combo...Drink included?
If it had happened at South Carolina, we would have been flagged for an illegal chop block

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:12 pm

AppAlum1 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:22 pm
Appstate88 wrote:

Agreed. Not sure a class action is the way to go (trust me). I suggest an email to the AD, who we should all remember, Charlie Cobb. Some emails would likely accomplish more than a lawsuit.

That thing was so loud, it could well be one thing that is keeping GaSt students away (there are probably others). I left feeling surprised that some little kid's momma had not already complained & gotten it turned WAY down. Otherwise, I thought their stadium was GREAT, and their announcer was good too. I had a gyro sub in the stadium that was really, really good. But, I saw NO GaSt students, except their band. I did see some App students there.
I'm pretty sure their students were sitting on the bleachers in the end zone beside their band.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:58 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:30 am
Watch Noah manhandle the linebacker to the sidelines and right into Drinkwitz. That's how Drink got the head wound.

Love that....gettin after em!!!! If your asking me that block was worth the stitches.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:12 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:12 pm
AppAlum1 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:22 pm
Appstate88 wrote:

I'm pretty sure their students were sitting on the bleachers in the end zone beside their band.
That’s right. There were 24 of them.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”