Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Transition

23Bison
School: North Dakota State

Transition

Unread post by 23Bison » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:16 pm

Hello everyone! I'm sure someone has asked before and I may have missed it but I have a question regarding your transition from FCS to FBS. You guys have had a lot of success in the Sunbelt especially as of late and I am wondering what your opinions are on the move. I'm sure its easy for you to answer that its been great with your current success but what about the seasons where maybe your record lacked some luster. I am an NDSU Bison fan and we are currently riding a 32 game win streak and are like 123-8 since 2011 I believe and counting FBS games with no losses to the FBS. This topic is coming up a lot lately and am just curious as to what your overall thoughts are. Especially in the early years of your transition.

appstategrad2008
School: Appalachian State

Re: Transition

Unread post by appstategrad2008 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:29 pm

Hey 23Bison,

Lots of respect to your team and program for what they have accomplished. Never thought I would see anyone at the FCS level match our 3 peat of national titles, so that speaks for itself.

There was a pretty big divide among the fan base on whether or not to move up to FBS. I was 100% for making the move, but I understood why others opposed it. To be completely honest, we really haven't had a season that has lacked luster since we moved up. Our last several seasons since the move, and I think I can speak for most here, has greatly surpassed our expectations. The lack of struggling to compete at this level has been one of the best surprises. This has not been the experience of most programs that make the move up, so I'm most thankful for our program and our culture that has sustained the success.

It would be interesting to see you guys move up to FBS at some point in the future. I feel like, with the amount of success you've had at the FCS level, it's only a matter of time. The main hurdle I would see would just be geography. Not sure if any of the current G5 conferences would be good enough regionally for the move up to make sense for you. Good luck!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:31 pm

We struggled in the early phase of the transition before we were bowl eligible. We lost to a number of FCS teams that we would not ever expect to lose to at any point. I also remember our first Sun Belt game against South Alabama. They spanked us and remember thinking maybe we bit off more than we could chew. But eventually in that same season, we adjusted to the different game at the FBS level and really haven't looked back. However, its not like we hit the ground running. It took a season and a half before we found our footing.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:37 pm

In the beginning there were mixed thoughts...many people did not want to move up to FBS b/c the thought was we would be irrelevant and not be as successful as we were in the FCS. Others though it was great and that it was the right thing to do.

As of now I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that wishes we were still in FCS. The only logical argument for being back in the FCS would be local name recognition of the teams we played. As of now nobody really cares of the Sun Belt west match ups. We have very little connection or history with them and they are far away so many people don't get to travel to those games.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:38 pm

In short, everyone appreciated the 1-AA/FCS years, but wouldn't go back. Being ranked in the CFB poll is pretty special.

By the time App made the decision to transition the FCS (especially in the southeast) was in real jeopardy and I think we've seen in play out. From the late 2000's through 2014 we saw 11 programs announce moves to the FBS. App needed to move or stay in a watered down FCS while get pushed behind all those programs, glad we had the opportunity. If we had stayed that would have been nearly 1,000 additional FBS scholarships available (90% in the Southeast), the SoCon has struggled.

NDSU is in a tough spot with no natural conference to join. They could finish in the top half of the MAC by year two with added depth, but I don't see them expanded in the near term.

App90

Unread post by App90 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:39 pm

You will go through a period of not being eligible for a bowl game and you will not be able to compete for a conference championship your final year while you come out of FCS or an FCS title. That is a very hard year. For me our success was surprising but in looking at it ASU has a culture of success and wanting to win with an incredible fan base. 23Bison your program reminds me a lot like ours, albiet you guys are crushing the FCS right now. Your team will be successful because of your fan base and your teams culture. The bowl games are so much fun compared to the play offs. Done both, and I hope we never go back.....Good luck....

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:41 pm

The name recognition of Wofford, Furman, and Elon, come on Hap that's a false narrative. Fans weren't coming to see those teams, they were coming to see App play. Our fans may have traveled more to away games, but that was the core 2-3k.

Another perk is the much improved schedule. Home games vs. Miami, Wake, Marshall, ECU, NC, SC, etc.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:44 pm

Yeah we had 0.5 bad FBS seasons. Might get a better perspective on the struggle from a Georgia Southern board.

For ND State, I'm pretty sure they could jump right into the Mountain West and compete immediately. Personally, I thought I'd miss competing for national titles, but I haven't. Those were great memories, but going to bowl games and being able to schedule home games with the teams we have has been more than worth it.

The biggest downside to me has been replacing longstanding rivalries and driveable conference road games with conference games against teams that are a few states away and, for the most part, not particularly interesting to many fans (beyond the appeal of watching App lay yet another beatdown on somebody we only think about once a year or less). With ND State only having been FCS a little over a decade and being more remote, I'm not sure if that would be as big a deal to you guys, but I guess you've probably developed a few good rivalries, albeit one-sided ones.

Personally, back in the days when Idaho and NM State were in the Sun Belt, I thought the league could have gone the route of expanding to invite ND State, Montana and Montana State, so they'd have had 14 teams and a true western arm. I think the way it worked out is best, but that would have been interesting.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:56 pm

I can't even imagine how you guys can remain enthusiastic playing FCS ball. How do you measure one season versus another if you are undefeated every year?

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:03 pm

NDSU is a phenomenal program! The tough thing for a transition would be geography. You guys actually fit fairly well I'm the Big Ten West but that's not a realistic option at all. The closest teams in both the MAC and MWC are still pretty far. And Independence is a death sentence for non ND and BYU teams, especially a recent FCS callup. Staying put may be the best due to having regional opponents so close by compared to FBS.

23Bison

Unread post by 23Bison » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:04 pm

These are all very intriguing statements and I thank you for it. The one big glaring issue if a move up was ever on the table is that we will never be able to compete for a national title again.

23Bison

Unread post by 23Bison » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:06 pm

CVAPP wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:56 pm
I can't even imagine how you guys can remain enthusiastic playing FCS ball. How do you measure one season versus another if you are undefeated every year?
Honestly it’s getting a little rough. If this season ends the way I think it will we will have played 2 and a half seasons without a loss. This was supposed to be our rebuilding year and it appears to be one of the best teams we’ve have especially with a RFr QB.

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:13 pm

Last year in Socon during transition was bad as we were not eligible for playoffs. Following year (first year in SBC) we struggled right out of the gate, but turned it around and ended up 7-5, and 3rd in conference. We were bowl eligible in terms of wins, but were not eligible in terms of transition rules. Year 2 we were 2nd in conference and won our first bowl game, shared conference title in years 3 and 4 (legit share as we did not play either team the years we shared). Year 5 App was ranked for first time by AP and won conference outright by winning first SBC championship game and winning 4th straight bowl game. Year 6 ranked by AP and CFP and currently 9-1....so we hit the ground running and never looked back.

I would expect the Bison's would be very successful very quickly as well.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:24 pm

There is no question that the move up to FBS was the right thing to do. Heck, I wish the NCAA hadn't issued the moratorium so we could have moved up earlier. Without question you guys could successfully transition to FBS. You have won big at every division you have played in and I am sure it would be no different in FBS. For me the move was more about playing a better quality of opponent, FCS had just gotten too watered down with all the teams that left for FBS. When I started at App in 1988, the Southern Conference was a powerhouse and that continued through the 90s but by the early 2000s it was really just a 2 team league (App and Georgia Southern) with some upsets by the small private schools spread out through the years. Had all the schools that were in FCS(1AA )stayed throughout the years, it may have still held my interest but that didn't happen. If you just go and look at the AAC, Conference USA, SunBelt you will see a ton of schools that were FCS(1AA) when I was in college. Now that we have made the transition, we play better teams, get better athletes, get way more recognition on a national media level and it is all just more enjoyable to me. I was always worried that if we didn't make the jump, we would get stuck and wither on the vine. I remember how great of a program Youngstown State used to be, fighting for National titles on a regular basis. Now they are an afterthought, they missed their chance and have never recovered. Had they made the jump, the would probably still be a crap team because that is MAC football for you (I kid) but they would still be more relevant than they are now.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:47 pm

Wouldn’t trade away the FCS years for anything.

Would never go back.

I love that this administration had the guts to go for it. We could have faltered, we still can. I’m just glad we are willing to take the risk.
YNWA

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:07 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:47 pm
Wouldn’t trade away the FCS years for anything.

Would never go back.

I love that this administration had the guts to go for it. We could have faltered, we still can. I’m just glad we are willing to take the risk.
I think this pretty much sums up 99.9% of the fanbase.
Give 'em hell!

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:19 pm

23Bison wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:16 pm
Hello everyone! I'm sure someone has asked before and I may have missed it but I have a question regarding your transition from FCS to FBS. You guys have had a lot of success in the Sunbelt especially as of late and I am wondering what your opinions are on the move. I'm sure its easy for you to answer that its been great with your current success but what about the seasons where maybe your record lacked some luster. I am an NDSU Bison fan and we are currently riding a 32 game win streak and are like 123-8 since 2011 I believe and counting FBS games with no losses to the FBS. This topic is coming up a lot lately and am just curious as to what your overall thoughts are. Especially in the early years of your transition.
[/quote

23bison,

First off if you look closely at our record we haven't had any lackluster since the move, we have simply exceeded our expectations and have transitioned better than any has. With that said, you guys due to your successful program and fan base as well as Montana, and James Madison need to move up if the right geographical conferences fit your needs. Staying FCS is a stalemate financially.
KICK ASS!!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:27 pm

It was a decades long battle to get it done.And worth it .

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:30 pm

It doesn't hurt to have one of your rivals follow you into the FBS. I'm glad Georgia Southern was able to tag along and not get left behind.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:38 pm

23Bison wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:16 pm
Echoing what everyone here seems to think, it has certainly been a positive change for us. I was skeptical and more or less against it (best tasting crow I've ever had, and I've had a lot of crow haha). I think your program's situation is similar to what ours was. I have no doubt ya'll could compete at the G5 level.

Ive seen people talking about the MAC but my knee jerk reaction for NDSU would be Mountain West. Hell, I'm inclined to think you could compete right now in the MAC, and in a few years of the additional scholarships and added depth, compete in the MWC with Boise.

Someone else mentioned your football culture and winning tradition, I think that has been one of the biggest factors in our successful transition and would expect nothing less from NDSU if you made the jump. Good luck the rest of the way!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”