Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Latest CFP Rankings...7 PM ESPN

Yosefus
School: Appalachian State

Re: Latest CFP Rankings...7 PM ESPN

Unread post by Yosefus » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:17 am

I think Boise could be beaten by Utah St this weekend as well as Cincinnati by Temple. That leaves us just behind Memphis if we have a convincing win, at least beating the 29 pt spread.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:20 am

Yosefus wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:17 am
I think Boise could be beaten by Utah St this weekend as well as Cincinnati by Temple. That leaves us just behind Memphis if we have a convincing win, at least beating the 29 pt spread.
Assuming the SMU-Navy winner doesn’t jump us.

Overcashed

Unread post by Overcashed » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:49 am

It says a ton for our program that we're mildly upset about landing at #24 in the CFP poll just a few years outside of transitioning up from FCS. I'm very proud of where we've came in such a short amount of time.

That being said, damn that loss to the Stink hurts, just think where we'd be sitting if we were 10-0 currently.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:21 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:47 am
Not surprised SMU is now in at 25. The AAC Commissioner did a great deal of whining last week, even trying to throw us under the bus for our home loss vs Stink, as opposed to SMU's loss on the road vs OSU. However, I don't think he was dissing us as much as he was advocating for SMU. I just hate we can't prove ourselves against AAC teams more often because of our bowl tie-ins. We either go undefeated and get the NY6 and play a P5, or play a 2nd or third place MAC or CUSA team, where once again, our opponent's quality will be questioned. Hoping for a win out and end of season ranking, which would be more history and "better than it's been done before."
SMU lost to Memphis.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:29 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
Not surprised SMU is now in at 25. The AAC Commissioner did a great deal of whining last week, even trying to throw us under the bus for our home loss vs Stink, as opposed to SMU's loss on the road vs OSU. However, I don't think he was dissing us as much as he was advocating for SMU. I just hate we can't prove ourselves against AAC teams more often because of our bowl tie-ins. We either go undefeated and get the NY6 and play a P5, or play a 2nd or third place MAC or CUSA team, where once again, our opponent's quality will be questioned. Hoping for a win out and end of season ranking, which would be more history and "better than it's been done before."
He's probably aware how vulnerable his teams are with their recent performances and wants to stack the deck a little in their favor. I would hope that our SBC commissioner is doing whatever he can to advocate for our positioning but I haven't seen anything.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:04 am

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:04 am

hapapp wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:21 am
MAD Doctor wrote:
SMU lost to Memphis.
Correct. That reference must have been in support of Cincy ( though they were creamed by OSU).

Here’s a link:
https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... idiculous/

savoyspecial21

Unread post by savoyspecial21 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:42 am

Iowa St. could easily be undefeated. I'm good with them.

USC got blown out by Oregon, by two touchdowns the Washington, and lost to BYU straight up. Uhhh, no.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:59 am

yosef69 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:35 pm
2 four loss teams ahead of us is a f****** joke. We would demolish both of them.
That is a joke right? We beat a 4-8 South Carolina team by 5 points. I love our team and I think we could have played better, and yes I know the refs screwed us some, but we have not shown to be a team who can get a lead on a P5 and expand it. They always come back on us. UNC and SC are not as good as VT, Iowa State, Texas A&M, USC, etc. Could we beat them? Yes. But do we demolish them? Heck no. They would be great games that we could lose.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:01 pm

APP93 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:22 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:18 pm
All I can say, based on what I've seen this season, I think we beat Cincy, Boise, and SMU fairly easily and Memphis would be a toss-up but winnable for sure.
I agree, both Boise and Cincy have had very close calls vs below avg teams. Boise has a tough game on Saturday and another potential tough one vs SDSU in conference title game.
We lost to an average GSU team and had a couple close calls against average P5 teams. I'm not sold they would beat us though. I really don't see a G5 who looks head and shoulders above the rest.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:08 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:20 am
Yosefus wrote:
The good news against the AAC is that 2 of those 3 teams in the top 25 will have to end up behind us for sure. SMU has Navy and Tulane left. Cincinnati and Memphis play each other. There is no way both SMU and Memphis can be ahead of us. If Memphis beats Cincy and then Cincy wins the AAC title game that would pretty much eliminate all of the AAC. That would just leave Boise State left. If SMU beats Navy but loses in the AAC title game then they can't jump us for sure.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:10 pm

Yosefus wrote:
Boise State could but if not have to hope SDSU beats them. Things will play out a lot over the next 2 weeks. I have a feeling if we win the next two then heading into the SBC title game only 2 teams out there, at most, could possibly be ahead of us. This G5 logjam in the 18-25 range will clear up big time in the final two weeks of the regular season.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:48 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:13 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:33 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:18 pm
All I can say, based on what I've seen this season, I think we beat Cincy, Boise, and SMU fairly easily and Memphis would be a toss-up but winnable for sure.
You mean struggling early vs GA State and Southern and having a dreadful offensive performance at South Carolina? We're good and we've been bailed out by our defense more than once but we are not elite enough to pretend we're world beaters.

I'd love to say we crush the teams directly ahead of us in the polls but I'm not convinced. I think we probably win 6 of the 9 games with teams ranked 15-25.
Interesting response; but I personally don't consider Cincy, Boise, and SMU the "world." The games I've followed/watched of those three tell me that Cincy is lucky to not have 2 more losses against bad teams. Boise, also could easily have another loss to a, let's say, a not great team. SMU, is similar to Cincy in that they could very easily have 2 more losses to bad teams but escaped with wins. They also barely got by Arkansas State, who most likely isn't even going to win the SBC West and has so far 2 Sun Belt losses.
Also, and I'm no football expert, but I believe the "defense" is considered part of the team so I don't understand that reference at all. In football there are going to be times when all 3 phases are not clicking for various reasons.
Oh you're not wrong, my ultimate point was I don't think we've played that complete game yet, especially not when we had 3 national TV opportunities in a row to do so. We showed it after the first quarter vs GSU, but the "down 21-7 to a 3 loss team" damage had already been done.

I haven't studied Cincinnati, Memphis, Boise, or SMU this season and they probably all similar blemishes but they get the AAC and MWC perception bump we don't get. Same with USC and ISU getting their P5 perception bumps.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:13 pm

Lowcountry App wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:54 pm
I know what’s done is done but I can’t look at these rankings without thinking about where we could be if we hadn’t lost to the stink. Yeah, I like to torture myself.
Probably 22.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:32 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:04 am
hapapp wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:21 am
MAD Doctor wrote:
SMU lost to Memphis.
Correct. That reference must have been in support of Cincy ( though they were creamed by OSU).

Here’s a link:
https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... idiculous/
Says he hates the G5 label and compares the AAC to the Pac 12 and ACC while eventually saying "“I don’t think any [other] G5 team should be ahead of our teams. Period,” Aresco said. “I don’t believe they should be. I don’t believe they have the résumés to match our teams.”

Essentially saying he hates the G5 label being attributed only to the AAC and not the other schools. Perhaps he should push for adding App's football program to the AAC and then he won't have to complain anymore?

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:40 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:08 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Yosefus wrote:
The good news against the AAC is that 2 of those 3 teams in the top 25 will have to end up behind us for sure. SMU has Navy and Tulane left. Cincinnati and Memphis play each other. There is no way both SMU and Memphis can be ahead of us. If Memphis beats Cincy and then Cincy wins the AAC title game that would pretty much eliminate all of the AAC. That would just leave Boise State left. If SMU beats Navy but loses in the AAC title game then they can't jump us for sure.
I wouldn't be so sure about your Memphis scenario eliminating the AAC. It'll make things interesting but could still give Cincinnati the NY6 autobid. Memphis could potentially be a top 15 team when they first beat Cincinnati. So if it's a close or reasonable win, Cincinnati will drop but potentially hang on at like 24-25 because it was a respectable loss to a top 15 opponent. Then if they win in the CCG, they will move up spots, potentially enough to jump Boise and App because it would be a win against a top 15 team. Something that Boise and App likely won't be able to do in the respective championship games.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:49 pm

citroknight wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:40 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
Yosefus wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure about your Memphis scenario eliminating the AAC. It'll make things interesting but could still give Cincinnati the NY6 autobid. Memphis could potentially be a top 15 team when they first beat Cincinnati. So if it's a close or reasonable win, Cincinnati will drop but potentially hang on at like 24-25 because it was a respectable loss to a top 15 opponent. Then if they win in the CCG, they will move up spots, potentially enough to jump Boise and App because it would be a win against a top 15 team. Something that Boise and App likely won't be able to do in the respective championship games.
Yep, that's a concern so what we'd like to see is for Cincy to drop their last 2 games against Temple and Memphis, which is entirely possible the way they've been playing lately. Then if Temple and UCF win out I'm not sure who wins the tie-breaker for the East but there'd be a 3 way tie with teams having a total of 3 losses each. So, in that scenario we'd want the East winner (with 3 total losses) to upset the West winner which is most likely Memphis. That would leave no question then that we'd jump that 3 loss AAC champion if we win out. Also, Boise's gonna lose this weekend or in their championship game...so they'll be out.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:25 pm

citroknight wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:40 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
Yosefus wrote:
What I'm saying is if Memphis loses to Cincy in the regular season but then beats them in the AAC title game that would eliminate Memphis. There is no way a 2-loss G5 gets the Cotton Bowl over a 1-loss G5 with 2 P5 wins. I'm not sure those game results will for sure happen but if they do then App or Boise would get nod over the AAC champ.

Now what would be perfect is if Cincy loses this week and then wins the AAC title game. That would also eliminate the AAC champ.

There are still plenty of big games left. I'll really be worried in two weeks because by then most or possibly none of this stuff will have gone down. The one thing for sure that will go down is SMU/Navy and Memphis/Cincy games mean 2 of the top 4 AAC teams will be out of it before the AAC title game.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:51 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:32 pm
Says he hates the G5 label and compares the AAC to the Pac 12 and ACC while eventually saying "“I don’t think any [other] G5 team should be ahead of our teams. Period,” Aresco said. “I don’t believe they should be. I don’t believe they have the résumés to match our teams.”

Essentially saying he hates the G5 label being attributed only to the AAC and not the other schools. Perhaps he should push for adding App's football program to the AAC and then he won't have to complain anymore?
Aresco said, "So a 1-loss SMU team should be ranked higher than Boise State or Appalachian State"

That "powerful" 1 loss P6 team with ~16 transfers only beat a lowly SB stAte team (currently 3rd in SB) by a TD. That same "powerful" P6 team took 3OT's to beat a 3-7 Tulsa team and added another OOC win against SB cellar dweller TXST. (App needs to beat the breaks off the bobkittens) TCU was a nice feather in the Mustang cap but the horned frogs are .500 on the season heading into the weekend.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here but as it stands, all the AAC's P5 wins came against .500 or worse A5 teams. When they have faced off against OSU, Wisc, OkSt, AU & IU (A5's above .500), they have been skull drug by multiple scores in similar fashion to SB teams who have faced off against UGA, Bama and LSU. This is not to say the AAC isn't a stronger conference top to bottom than the SB and their 1 loss team should get the Cotton bid but App has fared equally as well against common opponents with the AAC's top programs.

So Mr. Aresco may want to slow his roll when he says things like, “I don’t think any [other] G5 team should be ahead of our teams. Period,” Aresco said. “I don’t believe they should be. I don’t believe they have the résumés to match our teams.” (yes I realize he's cheerleading) Personally, I'm not afraid of any AAC résumé and I like App's chances squaring off against any team from the so-called "P6" conference. While I love the match-up with ECU, I wish DG could get Memphis, Cincy and UCF on the schedule.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:37 pm

I give Aresco credit for talking up his conference and pushing the P6 agenda even though I don't agree with his message. It is nice to see a commissioner fighting the good fight. Heck, we can't even get all of our coaches in the SunBelt to recognize that Louisiana is a very good team and should get votes in the coaches poll, no unity in the Belt at all. The media isn't going to hype us so we need to hype ourselves as a conference, and we really don't do that well at all.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”