Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

If no NY6 then where?

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

If no NY6 then where?

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:43 am

I was just looking at the bowl projections and began wondering, if we don't make the NY6 and (IF) there was some theoretical discussion about putting a 12-1 App team somewhere else besides the New Orleans Bowl where would everyone want to go? There are a slew of bowls in California, Arizona, Texas and Southern Florida. For the average fan those are some really pricey trips. If we landed in San Diego, Houston, Dallas or Phoenix or even in New York City at Yankee Stadium how many fans would attend realistically? There is also the Las Vegas Bowl which would obviously be the right up there with the best destination cities but again how many of us are flying from all points east? There is the Independence Bowl, the Military Bowl in Maryland (against Louisville maybe) and two bowls in Tennessee which appear to be the most appealing from a possible match up and travel standpoint- the Music City Bowl and the Liberty Bowl. There are probably a half dozen really crappy bowls- Frisco, New Mexico, Cure, Boca Raton, etc that are worse than the New Orleans Bowl. I guess the whole point of the question is, we all feel like if we go 12-1 and get passed for the NY6 we deserve better but where would that be?

Mjohn1988

Re: If no NY6 then where?

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:49 am

I would want New Orleans and an AAC team

Overcashed

Unread post by Overcashed » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:54 am

I think it's been said that we're pretty much locked into the automatic bid bowls if we aren't selected for the Cotton, so New Orleans would be the only real destination for us if we're 12-1 with another Sun Belt championship in the books.

IF we could get out of that auto bid, the Belk Bowl would be interesting. The SEC might not have enough teams to fill all their bowl spots and playing another ACC team in basically our backyards would be fun. App Nation could pack out BoA and I'm sure whatever local-ish ACC team would bring a fun crowd as well.
Last edited by Overcashed on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:00 am

Overcashed wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:54 am
I think it's been said that we're pretty much locked into the automatic bid bowls if we win aren't selected for the Cotton, so New Orleans would be the only real destination for us if we're 12-1 with another Sun Belt championship in the books.

IF we could get out of that auto bid, the Belk Bowl would be interesting. The SEC might not have enough teams to fill all their bowl spots and playing another ACC team in basically our backyards would be fun. App Nation could pack out BoA and I'm sure whatever local-ish ACC team would bring a fun crowd as well.
It'd be cool to play Virginia Tech for the first time since 1982.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:02 am

Belk Bowl would be amazing

asucrutch23

Unread post by asucrutch23 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:04 am

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/colle ... 76093.html

If you don't feel like reading:

1. Cotton Bowl if we are the highest ranked G5 champ
2. New Orleans if we win the SBC
3. One of other 4 Sun Belt tie-ins if we don't win the SBC

That's pretty much it.
Last edited by asucrutch23 on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:07 am

It would be great IF something were to work out and we could play an ACC or SEC team, but it seems that some of our fans are setting themselves up for disappointment with the attitudes towards our aligned bowls. I'm not sure why the NO Bowl would only be considered so bad (only half a dozen or so "crappy" bowls worse per above). I don't agree with that statement. It is a chance for the SB Champ to play the CUSA champ (if they don't chicken out again this year) and is in a destination city. Things could be a lot worse.

AppySprayberry

Unread post by AppySprayberry » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:08 am

If we win the Sun Belt we are going to the New Orleans bowl. Period.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:11 am

I don't think the SBC would allow its champion to go anywhere other than NO unless they qualify for the NY6.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:12 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:00 am
Overcashed wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:54 am
I think it's been said that we're pretty much locked into the automatic bid bowls if we win aren't selected for the Cotton, so New Orleans would be the only real destination for us if we're 12-1 with another Sun Belt championship in the books.

It'd be cool to play Virginia Tech for the first time since 1982.
Really weird, I've had this recurring nightmarish flashback-type feeling every time someone mentions Virginia Tech. I can't quite remember...it's a vague thing, but in these flashbacks we get hammer-stomped and give up like almost 70 points, which I KNOW no App team would ever do. It's weird though, I just can't shake that feeling.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:13 am

Yep. New Orleans is a great destination, biggest problem is getting a good opponent. At this point, Marshall and a guess LaTech are the only CUSA teams that have some intrigue. Wish we could get better tie ins, but the Sunbelt is somewhat of a joke that App State is making look a lot better. Up until we joined, what intrigue did their former members give Bowl organizers? We are still having to battle perception, as I've read countless articles from P5 centric writers who say we haven't done anything to justify even being ranked.
The Appalachian State

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:16 am

Folks, the key word in this entire thread is IF. We all fully understand how the bowl deal shakes out. I just thought it would be interesting to see where everyone would LIKE to go. A lot of places are not close to convenient for travel and others just stink based no local and probable opponent. AGAIN the key word is IF.

Belk Bowl seems to be the leader at the moment.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:19 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:07 am
It would be great IF something were to work out and we could play an ACC or SEC team, but it seems that some of our fans are setting themselves up for disappointment with the attitudes towards our aligned bowls. I'm not sure why the NO Bowl would only be considered so bad (only half a dozen or so "crappy" bowls worse per above). I don't agree with that statement. It is a chance for the SB Champ to play the CUSA champ (if they don't chicken out again this year) and is in a destination city. Things could be a lot worse.
Why is it that the CUSA champ can opt out, yet we're being told by Ethan that we can't do the same?

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:20 am

If we don't get the NY6 invite then I'd love to play Marshall in New Orleans. LaTech would only be interesting to me because I'm guessing they'd bring a lot of people which MTSU really didn't, so it'd be a fun atmosphere. My wife loved the game at the Super Dome last year, she thought it was really cool, which it totally was.

We've got to win the next three to get there though...

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:21 am

New Orleans Bowl plain and simple. Anything else means we didn't win the SunBelt. Look, I get people don't like our bowl tie in opponents but they are what they are. Just a couple of years ago we were all begging for a tie-in to the New Orleans Bowl for the SunBelt champ so they wouldn't just pic Louisiana again and again despite our better record. Now we have that and now we want more? I want us to go to the access bowl but if we don't our best option is the New Orleans Bowl because it means we won our conference. Not to mention, New Orleans is a fantastic destination that is easy and cheap to travel to for most of our fan base. There isn't another city that is better for a bowl game in my opinion.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:27 am

hapapp wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:11 am
I don't think the SBC would allow its champion to go anywhere other than NO unless they qualify for the NY6.
Agreed, and I'll go a step further. The two years before App's trip to our fanbase (myself included) argued that the NOLA bowl (who has held to first pick in SBC bowl selection) should go to the best team not the team that would sell the most tickets (clearly ULL). We now can't balk at that honor if we're fortunate enough to finish the SBC champ even if we're second in the G5 race.

NOLA Bowl is one of the premier G5 bowls, great location and time slot.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:28 am

Gonzo wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:19 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Why is it that the CUSA champ can opt out, yet we're being told by Ethan that we can't do the same?
It's the dodging App State clause all CUSA teams covet.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:30 am

We can dream of belk due to one of their slots not being filled, but dream is all we can do. Just hope to win SBC and NOLA again.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:35 am

hapapp wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:11 am
I am not questioning your point from your viewpoint but I will ask this question - Why Not?
I understand the way things are set for the SB teams - Why wouldn't it be the "best of both worlds" to have APP go to a bigger name bowl against a P5 team which would be more exposure for the SunBelt and with coordination then put ULL in New Orleans where the crowds would be much much larger and ULL is a very good team -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:36 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:28 am
Gonzo wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:19 am
Yosef84 wrote:
It's the dodging App State clause all CUSA teams covet.
Seriously though, our contractual obligation differs from theirs?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”