Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

AAC Hypothetical

MAD Doctor
School: Appalachian State

Re: AAC Hypothetical

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:19 pm

Without hesitation. Football drives the bus. I'd continue to hope for a more sensible conference configuration down the line, but we need to keep the momentum going. Plus, look at how our bowl options would improve. We can't count on a 12-1 or 13-0 season every year just for the chance for a NY6. I'll help pack.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:30 pm

AAC TV pays $7M per school, SBC $1ishM

Depends how much football only get you. It’s really that simple.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnati ... ealignment

asucrutch23

Unread post by asucrutch23 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:40 pm

With a clear path to full membership, it would be a no brainer.

Money, check.
Recruiting, check.
Exposure, check.

I'm afraid our regional university status will hold us back, for now. But it's worth a try.

Also, there is no way the SoCon will have us back without football, IMO.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:43 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:11 pm
Their fans are truly insufferable and their pride in their conference bizarre.
SEC?
BLACK SATURDAY

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:48 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:30 pm

Yeah, but how much are their budgets? You can't just look at what's coming in. ECU is in the red last I heard.

Promised TV deal is what got CUSA in trouble.
Last edited by yosef13 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:48 pm

It's nice to say "with a clear path to full membership" and then accept the scenario, but does anyone actually know what that would look like? My assumption would be that it would include showing progress / success in those other sports but achieving that while being consigned back to the SoCon (or some other conference) would seem to be a reach. I actually doubt the SoCon would take us back without football and I'm not sure where we would play. Would the CAA take our other sports without football? I have no idea.

Basically this argument feels like a purely academic "what if" discussion. Yeah...if they make us feel all warm and fuzzy with some interim plan, I guess we could go for it. I'd have to know a lot more about it though. Feels like a carrot on a stick discussion to me.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:54 pm

I’m not sure a lot of you understand what an AAC invite would mean. App State is continuously clinging on to relevance, and we pretty much “make” all of our breaks. One of the biggest breaks we could ever be given would be an AAC invite. This would put our program on a much deserved better stage. We are enjoying our bubble that we are in now, but I can promise you, in order for us to maintain our momentum, we would desperately need something like an AAC invite and a piece of that TV deal. Our football tradition is built on a solid footing, but everything else you see around it is still a house of cards.
The Appalachian State

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:59 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:48 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

Yeah, but how much are their budgets? You can't just look at what's coming in. ECU is in the red last I heard.

12 year deal signed in 2019 that lowers the risk.

Also costs as football only with a regional conference in other sports would potentially lower costs overall.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:02 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:18 pm
yosef69 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:11 pm
Their fans are truly insufferable and their pride in their conference bizarre.
AAC fans basically meet the definition of little-man syndrome.

When the Big12 gobbles up Boise and two or three of the AAC teams in the next realignment, it’ll be no different than the conference we are in right now.

Moving is a waste of our time. #funbelt
Agree. AAC has done a great job promoting themselves as a P6, but nobody else see it that way. The SB to the AAC does not seem like natural progression. It seems like a massive risky jump. I get risk/reward, but I just don't think we are ready right now. I think the next natural step for App is geographical realignment.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:14 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:59 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:48 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

12 year deal signed in 2019 that lowers the risk.

Also costs as football only with a regional conference in other sports would potentially lower costs overall.
What happens when the payout is less or ESPN reneges? ESPN promised CUSA a certain amount and fell short.

How much of our budget currently goes to football? What is the increased to be in the AAC for football only? What is the increase in TV revenue? That is the formula. The problem I have is the TV money is not guaranteed.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:37 pm

Saint3333 wrote:

Ok. You now have my attention.......I'm on board with a move to the AAC.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:55 pm

The money talks but would personally rather stay where we are for now and build a dynasty first.
What would the $ be for the Sunbelt if we did happen to make Cotton Bowl this year?

asucrutch23

Unread post by asucrutch23 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:00 pm

Yosefus wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:55 pm
The money talks but would personally rather stay where we are for now and build a dynasty first.
What would the $ be for the Sunbelt if we did happen to make Cotton Bowl this year?
CFP pays out $4m to the participating conferences for each participant in the non-playoff NY6 bowls. Different conferences split that up in different ways. Sun Belt splits evenly among football members.

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:07 pm

I'm with ericsaid, I don't see how anyone could say the AAC is not a better conference or want to be in a conference with GSU/ODU/UNC instead of Cincy/ECU/Houston/Memphis/UCF. Those are much more intriguing match ups, we'd have much higher chance year in and year out of staying ranked after a loss, and would be in better contention for the Access Bowl.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:26 pm

MtnMan09 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:07 pm
I'm with ericsaid, I don't see how anyone could say the AAC is not a better conference or want to be in a conference with GSU/ODU/UNC instead of Cincy/ECU/Houston/Memphis/UCF. Those are much more intriguing match ups, we'd have much higher chance year in and year out of staying ranked after a loss, and would be in better contention for the Access Bowl.
We have the same path to the access bowl now as we would in the AAC. There is little doubt that the conference is better, but is it a good move? Expenses. Assumed tv revenue. It would be a big gamble for the same result.

Let me ask you this. Should Clemson move to the SEC? More money. Better conference. Better match ups. They have a path to the NC in the ACC. So, would this be a smart move for Clemson?

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:54 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:26 pm
MtnMan09 wrote:
We have the same path to the access bowl now as we would in the AAC. There is little doubt that the conference is better, but is it a good move? Expenses. Assumed tv revenue. It would be a big gamble for the same result.

Let me ask you this. Should Clemson move to the SEC? More money. Better conference. Better match ups. They have a path to the NC in the ACC. So, would this be a smart move for Clemson?
Except that we really don't have the same path to the NY6 - look at this year. There are 2 AAC teams ahead of us in the CFP rankings with arguably similar (or worse) resumes and either is pretty much universally accepted by the wider media as a shoe in if one of them wins out, regardless of what we do. We're still playing from behind in the Belt.
Give 'em hell!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:11 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:54 pm
yosef13 wrote:
MtnMan09 wrote:

Except that we really don't have the same path to the NY6 - look at this year. There are 2 AAC teams ahead of us in the CFP rankings with arguably similar (or worse) resumes and either is pretty much universally accepted by the wider media as a shoe in if one of them wins out, regardless of what we do. We're still playing from behind in the Belt.
Yes. This sums it up perfectly.
The Appalachian State

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:12 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:11 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:54 pm
yosef13 wrote:
MtnMan09 wrote:

Yes. This sums it up perfectly.
Two years ago we wouldn’t even have been on the conversation. Perceptions change. The Sunbelt is on the rise.
YNWA

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:17 pm

I’m happy for the P5 games but for now I would like to see us try to schedule some of the top AAC teams.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:20 pm

I’m not doubting the sunbelt is on the rise from perception standpoint, but there is more to it behind the scenes when it comes to building a sustainable FBS program. Wins and losses are a big part of it, but not the whole pie. App State absolutely needs a better platform to continue to grow from. The only way we don’t need a better conference is if we can get A LOT more Yosef dollars.
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”