Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

AAC Hypothetical

yosef13
School: Appalachian State

Re: AAC Hypothetical

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:25 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:11 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:54 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:26 pm
MtnMan09 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:07 pm
I'm with ericsaid, I don't see how anyone could say the AAC is not a better conference or want to be in a conference with GSU/ODU/UNC instead of Cincy/ECU/Houston/Memphis/UCF. Those are much more intriguing match ups, we'd have much higher chance year in and year out of staying ranked after a loss, and would be in better contention for the Access Bowl.
We have the same path to the access bowl now as we would in the AAC. There is little doubt that the conference is better, but is it a good move? Expenses. Assumed tv revenue. It would be a big gamble for the same result.

Let me ask you this. Should Clemson move to the SEC? More money. Better conference. Better match ups. They have a path to the NC in the ACC. So, would this be a smart move for Clemson?
Except that we really don't have the same path to the NY6 - look at this year. There are 2 AAC teams ahead of us in the CFP rankings with arguably similar (or worse) resumes and either is pretty much universally accepted by the wider media as a shoe in if one of them wins out, regardless of what we do. We're still playing from behind in the Belt.
Yes. This sums it up perfectly.
But we're ahead of a one loss SMU team from the AAC. Yes, if we win out this year and don't get help we will be left out. That's life. Ask Auburn how it feels to go 13-0 and not play for the NC in 2004.

If we do win out we might be ranked at the beginning of next season. Pre season rankings can come in very handy. We are gaining respect as we go. The path exists in the AAC and the SB.

Clemson runs the risk of being left out because their strength of schedule too. Should they move to the SEC?

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:25 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:15 am
ComebackShack wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:41 am
If the AAC offered us football only membership and we'd have to leave our basketball and other sports behind, or possibly even drop to SoCon, would you take that?
This was posited on the AAC board. I was ok with it on the following conditions:
1. Full football member payment
2. Basketball scheduling agreement
3. Clear path to full membership

If a blowup happens and we go to regional conferences then it’s fine but being in the AAC puts us in a stronger position
Where can I find this message board? Interested to see what they're talking about.

Thanks!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:43 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:25 pm
appstatealum wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
yosef13 wrote:
MtnMan09 wrote:
I'm with ericsaid, I don't see how anyone could say the AAC is not a better conference or want to be in a conference with GSU/ODU/UNC instead of Cincy/ECU/Houston/Memphis/UCF. Those are much more intriguing match ups, we'd have much higher chance year in and year out of staying ranked after a loss, and would be in better contention for the Access Bowl.
We have the same path to the access bowl now as we would in the AAC. There is little doubt that the conference is better, but is it a good move? Expenses. Assumed tv revenue. It would be a big gamble for the same result.

Let me ask you this. Should Clemson move to the SEC? More money. Better conference. Better match ups. They have a path to the NC in the ACC. So, would this be a smart move for Clemson?
Except that we really don't have the same path to the NY6 - look at this year. There are 2 AAC teams ahead of us in the CFP rankings with arguably similar (or worse) resumes and either is pretty much universally accepted by the wider media as a shoe in if one of them wins out, regardless of what we do. We're still playing from behind in the Belt.
But we're ahead of a one loss SMU team from the AAC. Yes, if we win out this year and don't get help we will be left out. That's life. Ask Auburn how it feels to go 13-0 and not play for the NC in 2004.

If we do win out we might be ranked at the beginning of next season. Pre season rankings can come in very handy. We are gaining respect as we go. The path exists in the AAC and the SB.

Clemson runs the risk of being left out because their strength of schedule too. Should they move to the SEC?
You’re not wrong. But we are still walking a thin line in our current position. When it comes to conference alignment, there is more to it than wins and losses. Finishing the season ranked (maybe better than 25) and starting next season ranked will absolutely help us be a staple in the top 25, but one loss to a conference foe will knock us out of #30 typically. I consider Us lucky to have climbed back in this season, especially since our play hasn’t been stellar.
The Appalachian State

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:46 pm

yosef13 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
yosef13 wrote:
MtnMan09 wrote:

Comparing our situation to Clemson is absurd. On a year in year out basis the AAC will give us a better chance of getting the Access Bowl slot because the quality of teams in that conference are better from top to bottom. Youre looking at this year as an isolated snapshot but that is not realistic. Most years we wont have beat 2 P5 teams so we will need conference games to bolster our standing (which we will not get in the SBC). Clemson runs a risk this one year, do they usually run a risk? NO. Youve set up a weird straw man here, but the fact that you keep going to that well doesn't prove anything. There is a reason Willie Fritz left a on the rise GaSou to go coach at Tulane. The conference (from top to bottom again) is perceived by and large as better, they have better budgets, and a bigger slice of TV revenues. We had your attitude one time before (ie its too big a gamble to test out) and we got left behind in D1-AA and have been trying to play catch-up ever since. I have full faith DG is working as much magic as he can to help us take the next step. When it comes. We must go.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:59 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:43 pm
yosef13 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
yosef13 wrote:

You’re not wrong. But we are still walking a thin line in our current position. When it comes to conference alignment, there is more to it than wins and losses. Finishing the season ranked (maybe better than 25) and starting next season ranked will absolutely help us be a staple in the top 25, but one loss to a conference foe will knock us out of #30 typically. I consider Us lucky to have climbed back in this season, especially since our play hasn’t been stellar.
One loss in the AAC can do the same. Ask SMU.

Appstrong

Unread post by Appstrong » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:04 pm

I vote for whatever gets us to P5 fastest. When we moved up to FBS I hope it was with a long term vision to compete with the top teams for CHAMPIONSHIPS and not remain G5 for decades. If that means AAC is a necessary destination to offer our best path to that, so be it. I do feel there is some value to our sustained success in football, and, with sustained success in other sports, we become more attractive regardless of SBC or AAC.

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:06 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:59 pm
appstatealum wrote:
yosef13 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:

What about in a year where we are in the SBC don't play and beat TWO P5s do you think the CFP will treat an AAC loss and an SBC loss equally. The answer is no.

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:09 pm

I would join the AAC if offered.

1. Playing ECU every year, in-conference, would immediately be the premier NC football rivalry game.

2. AAC bowl tie ins are better. I especially like the Military Bowl (in Washington D.C. vs an ACC opponent) and Hawaii Bowl. We can't go to the NY6 every year, so it's nice to have appealing alternatives.

3. As we're seeing this year, winning the AAC is almost an automatic autobid to the NY6

4. Payouts are much better, I believe.

That being said, we have a good thing going here in the Sun Belt, and I am content to dominate this conference for now, so long as we continue to compete for the NY6.
NeersBy90 wrote:
Where can I find this message board? Interested to see what they're talking about.
Here:
https://www.csnbbs.com/forum-409.html

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:15 pm

MtnMan09 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:46 pm
yosef13 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
yosef13 wrote:

Comparing our situation to Clemson is absurd. On a year in year out basis the AAC will give us a better chance of getting the Access Bowl slot because the quality of teams in that conference are better from top to bottom. Youre looking at this year as an isolated snapshot but that is not realistic. Most years we wont have beat 2 P5 teams so we will need conference games to bolster our standing (which we will not get in the SBC). Clemson runs a risk this one year, do they usually run a risk? NO. Youve set up a weird straw man here, but the fact that you keep going to that well doesn't prove anything. There is a reason Willie Fritz left a on the rise GaSou to go coach at Tulane. The conference (from top to bottom again) is perceived by and large as better, they have better budgets, and a bigger slice of TV revenues. We had your attitude one time before (ie its too big a gamble to test out) and we got left behind in D1-AA and have been trying to play catch-up ever since. I have full faith DG is working as much magic as he can to help us take the next step. When it comes. We must go.
The parallels are there. Clemson will always run the risk since their strength of schedule will always be inferior. Did you see them drop in the polls without losing a game?

We run the risk because of the exact same thing. Clemson going to the SEC to increase revenue and strength of schedule is no different than us go to the AAC for the same reasons.

I was on board for FBS from day #1. FCS was a waste land. This is something completely different.

SB provides many of the same opportunities as the AAC. As good, no. But they are there for the taking. So why chop up the athletic program and chase assumed money that has zero guarantee, when we can continue to progressively evolve taking smart lower risk moves in the process.

One move is erratic. The other is strategic.
Last edited by yosef13 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:20 pm

MtnMan09 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:06 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:59 pm
appstatealum wrote:
yosef13 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

What about in a year where we are in the SBC don't play and beat TWO P5s do you think the CFP will treat an AAC loss and an SBC loss equally. The answer is no.
Agree. For App to ever reach the Access Bowl, it will need to be an almost perfect season with help along the way. That would be the case in the SB or the AAC. Look how many one loss teams there are in their conference right now. Not all of them are going to the Cotton Bowl.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:31 pm

Appstrong wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:04 pm
I vote for whatever gets us to P5 fastest. When we moved up to FBS I hope it was with a long term vision to compete with the top teams for CHAMPIONSHIPS and not remain G5 for decades. If that means AAC is a necessary destination to offer our best path to that, so be it. I do feel there is some value to our sustained success in football, and, with sustained success in other sports, we become more attractive regardless of SBC or AAC.
I want to be in the P5 as much as any of you, but this is never happening. ECU has been chasing this dream for 40 years. We are 6 years removed from FCS, and have had unprecedented success since. This should not give us hopes of a avenue to a P5 conference. I hate to say it, but its just reality.

Also the AAC does not provide a path to the NC. Not in the current format. UCF showed all of us that a few years ago.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:32 pm

I don't like the idea of football only, but the benefits may outweigh my concerns. I would have to know more details to fully make an informed decision but there are clearly some big upsides. I do disagree with the premise that we have a harder time getting to the Access Bowl from the Belt. While that may be true this year, it is simply because right now the AAC has a better perception. While I am certain that will remain, what will change is the perception of App. As we continue to win, we will get that UCF/Boise hype and it will be much easier to lose a game and not drop too far. I will say that if we win our P5s next year, no G5 team will be ahead of us regardless of AAC or not.

TheAppalachianState

Unread post by TheAppalachianState » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:33 pm

Where do we submit our ticket requesting for a conference shakeup? Lol. Eventually the CFP will expand, I believe that

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:44 pm

SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:09 pm
I would join the AAC if offered.

1. Playing ECU every year, in-conference, would immediately be the premier NC football rivalry game.

2. AAC bowl tie ins are better. I especially like the Military Bowl (in Washington D.C. vs an ACC opponent) and Hawaii Bowl. We can't go to the NY6 every year, so it's nice to have appealing alternatives.

3. As we're seeing this year, winning the AAC is almost an automatic autobid to the NY6

4. Payouts are much better, I believe.

That being said, we have a good thing going here in the Sun Belt, and I am content to dominate this conference for now, so long as we continue to compete for the NY6.
NeersBy90 wrote:
Here:
https://www.csnbbs.com/forum-409.html
Preciate it!

Appstrong

Unread post by Appstrong » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:50 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:31 pm
Appstrong wrote:
I want to be in the P5 as much as any of you, but this is never happening. ECU has been chasing this dream for 40 years. We are 6 years removed from FCS, and have had unprecedented success since. This should not give us hopes of a avenue to a P5 conference. I hate to say it, but its just reality.

Also the AAC does not provide a path to the NC. Not in the current format. UCF showed all of us that a few years ago.
I respect your perspective yosef13. I never imagined as an App student in the mid 90's that we would ever be in the Top 25 of what is now FBS football, yet here we are. I have since realized there is no reason to not dream big!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:57 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
yosef13 wrote:
MtnMan09 wrote:

I don't disagree, but Baylor and Minnesota were undefeated and ranked behind a bunch of one-loss teams because of perception. We'll never know now, but I heard quite a bit of talk that an undefeated Baylor would have likely been left out of the playoff. That bias is always going to be there against some team.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:01 pm

Appstrong wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:50 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:31 pm
Appstrong wrote:

I respect your perspective yosef13. I never imagined as an App student in the mid 90's that we would ever be in the Top 25 of what is now FBS football, yet here we are. I have since realized there is no reason to not dream big!
I hear you brother. We were on campus about the same time. I've been going to App games since the early 80's with my dad, who is a former athlete. When we get together these days we marvel on how far we've come.

I'm not trying to kill any dreams, but it just does not look likely. I will gladly eat that crow with zero seasoning if the day ever comes. Keeping things in perspective can be as important as big dreams. I'm just enjoying the ride today! Go App!

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:08 pm

appst89 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:57 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
yosef13 wrote:
MtnMan09 wrote:

I don't disagree, but Baylor and Minnesota were undefeated and ranked behind a bunch of one-loss teams because of perception. We'll never know now, but I heard quite a bit of talk that an undefeated Baylor would have likely been left out of the playoff. That bias is always going to be there against some team.
Yep. So, going to the AAC guarantees nothing. Not even the money ESPN is promising. Boise has fought and earned respect outside of the AAC. We can and should do the same. In time this move might make more sense. For now, let's do what Boise has done, not ECU.

General Moore

Unread post by General Moore » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:51 pm

Much rather beat em than join em!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:55 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:57 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:40 am
ah59396 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:25 am
We can achieve the same thing from the Sunbelt as they can from the AAC.

Sunbelt is rising and we are leading the pack.

If geography wasn’t a problem, the MWC is my dream destination. The AAC are just a bunch of nobodies that got left behind after the Big East collapsed and the ACC pillaged the remains.
I agree! I know the Sun Belt doesn't have a great history, but the trend is positive and there is a TON of "potential" in the current SBC programs. The AAC loves to talk about "potential" in supporting their quest for programs in major markets but we already have it here. We now have some programs who are committed to quality on the football field and these programs are building brand identity every year (App State, Troy, Arkansas State, and Georgia Southern). Louisiana has awakened from their slumber and is playing very good football....just not getting the recognition they deserve yet. Even our traditional "bottom dwellers" (football) GSU and TxSt could be described as "sleeping giants" boasting huge student bodies. GSU has bee inconsistent but has shown flashes and I still think TxSt is going to catch fire at some point (in a way other than their recent dumpster fire performances). Even these schools have boasted solid basketball so it's not like they don't contribute. We've already passed CUSA and the MAC and we can close on MWC and the AAC.

SBC football is already on the correct trajectory. Raising the performance of SBC Basketball is (in my opinion) the key to closing the perception gap completely.
My question is this, if the AAC comes calling with an offer that is mutually beneficial and has an addition for football with a path for basketball and other sports, what do you all say?

Is the Sun Belt fun? Sure. But could you imagine a regular season match-up on November 30th with ECU to determine the AAC East Champion with both teams ranked? We are hoping that Louisiana would be ranked for the conference championship should that be the match-up, but in the AAC we wouldn't have to hope for that.

Gone would be the days of playing late November football in front of 15,000 people. How many fans would show up when UCF comes to Boone? ECU? Cincinnati? Troy and Georgia Southern are the only conference games that gets the App fanbase up, it seems. Even Louisiana and Arkansas State, when they are having good years, aren't given much recognition.

Furthermore you end up with more games within App's existing recruiting footprint. Tampa, Orlando, & ENC plus you get games in Dallas and other locations. This isn't a "markets" comment as much as it is that App has games in Statesboro, Myrtle Beach, and Atlanta. The rest of the conference schedule is generally outside of where App recruits from. That places more importance on OOC scheduling being tied to regional opponents or areas where App is attempting to recruit from.
I would have to disagree that UCF, Cincinnati, Memphis or Houston are going to add any significant amount of fans to Kidd Brewer. Plus, none of those programs would bring great numbers to Boone of their fanbase. I think (with the exception of a few opponents such as Miami) ASU fans come to watch the Mountaineers play. And, this is the case for most schools.
As a football fan in the 90's, I once went to Wake to see Florida State come to town. But, that game wasn't a sellout and it's really only happened once in my years of being a college football fan.

However, regional rivalries like ECU, Charlotte, Georgia Southern, Coastal, possibly Marshall make sense for football and other sports because it's possible to travel to their locations to watch a game and you have their fanbases overlapping with ours.

This year's football schedule was great because UNC, USC and Georgia State were drivable one day or overnight trips. Next year, we play at Wake and Coastal. Those work geographically.

The AAC and their Power 6 marketing, better TV package (no Tuesday and Wednesday games) and better bowl tie-ins does have some appeal. But, long term Regional G5 conferences (bordering states) make the most sense.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”