Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Troy question

scatman77

Troy question

Unread post by scatman77 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:04 am

Anyone have an idea why the Troy game is on Friday instead of Saturday? Seems odd and being an old timer from 35 years of high school football I don't like colleges intruding on Friday. Plus it's not in the normal routine for our guys.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

AppStateNews
School: Appalachian State

Re: Troy question

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:23 am

My guess is because most people thought Troy would be in the running for conference championship and it could come down to this game -- including ESPN. When it became clear that wasn't the case, ESPN didn't put it on one of their channels.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:04 am

Yeah it’s a little more common on Thanksgiving weekend (we’re one of 15 FBS games that day). However it’s a little hard to see the benefit with no TV coverage, and it doesn’t appear the ESPN networks have a ton else in terms of football that evening.

At least we get an extra day before the title game I guess.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:10 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:23 am
My guess is because most people thought Troy would be in the running for conference championship and it could come down to this game -- including ESPN. When it became clear that wasn't the case, ESPN didn't put it on one of their channels.
Contracts are back and forth and give and take from both sides but the SB football contract should be written so that any non-Saturday game will be on TV and not just streaming. I can see moving times around (I don't like that personally but give on this point if the TV money is much better for the inconvenience) but not dates and anything not on a traditional college game day should be on TV, otherwise why get in the way of other levels of play like HS. If a team bombs and the game is not compelling then too bad just show the game. It the game is scheduled on a Saturday and there are a ton of TV options for more compelling games then let ESPN shuffle around what is being shown and put the less-compelling game on ESPN+.

I can make exceptions for crazy weather that might dictate a make-up game or safety issues with travel but the reality is that those types of issues are not that happening that often.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:20 pm

Its playoff time here in VA and plenty of HS teams are playing Saturday games. At this point of the season I don't think a Friday game is as much of an issue.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:48 pm

They thought it might be a huge matchup and wanted the potential to telecast it on one of the three. Didn’t work out.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:45 pm

Bad decision. 40 years in high school athletics, and I PROTEST!
And by the way, Go Watauga!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:34 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:48 pm
They thought it might be a huge matchup and wanted the potential to telecast it on one of the three. Didn’t work out.
I wish they would move the game back to Saturday. They indeed thought this could be a game between 2 teams with say 9-10 wins but it did not work out. Short weeks always scare me. Would have been better to play Texas State on Thursday or Friday at home and then at Troy next Saturday but we don't get that choice.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:46 pm

Agree. No fan of weeknight games.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:14 pm

Troy just got beat by 50 points. We have no business losing this game no matter what day of the week it’s on

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:35 pm

I believe we should throw the Troy game in order to give Louisiana home field thus giving us a better shot at a fast surface and of not playing another bad weather game in Boone. Just kidding, mostly.

Appalachman

Unread post by Appalachman » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:54 pm

Two games at the same once is both depressing and exciting. Had wanted to go to Troy and would be there if Saturday, but super excited staying here and cheer on the 12-1 Watauga ‘neers. Playoff football is still awesome! Maybe they’ll at least sync up the plays so I can watch one live and one streaming as the other game signals in plays. Or perhaps even better, by dominating early, the Apps have it out of reach by 730 local kickoff. Great football in the high country these days! Go ‘neers all around!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”