Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Miller Hill Expansion/Re-Grade Done In Time For 2020 Season!

APP93
School: Appalachian State

Re: Miller Hill Expansion/Re-Grade Done In Time For 2020 Season!

Unread post by APP93 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:20 pm

Does anyone know if we will be able to enter the front of the stadium and walk to the visitors side? I was hoping this was included in the North end zone project, but was not sure. I always wished there was some sort of concourse to get to that side of KBS.
Last edited by APP93 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:26 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:12 pm
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:02 pm
Another way to bring the stands closer to the field could be by replacing the existing lower stands with re-graded ones.
I just wonder if that would put the lower level at such a shallow angle that sight lines would stink. I also wish we'd go to individual chair backs. Even as a student I hated bleacher surfing on those aluminum seats. One drunk guy (sometimes me) lost balance and a whole row got taken out. It was dangerous then and it's dangerous now.
The angle/grade of the field side seating at GaState and SC was much more gentle than KBS. I sat row 9 at SC and had no problem seeing over the person in front of me and I'm only 5'6". Reducing the angle should allow for some extra rows as well.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:23 pm

GregPercussion wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:59 am
I like the idea of keeping/grading the hill but making nice plaza. Just hard with the scoreboard there.

Related: I bet they're going to stick the black block-A in the middle of the field as well.
There is no way to have a plaza in that area due to the scoreboard. Its way too loud to have any sort of seating or amenity there. Would love to see some premium type set up with high top tables or tents etc, but cant imagine standing under that board all day!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:44 pm

App91 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:23 pm
GregPercussion wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:59 am
I like the idea of keeping/grading the hill but making nice plaza. Just hard with the scoreboard there.

Related: I bet they're going to stick the black block-A in the middle of the field as well.
There is no way to have a plaza in that area due to the scoreboard. Its way too loud to have any sort of seating or amenity there. Would love to see some premium type set up with high top tables or tents etc, but cant imagine standing under that board all day!
There may be a way to reposition or relocate the speakers. Just because they are located on the scoreboard, does not mean they are required to be.

General Moore

Unread post by General Moore » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:43 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:52 pm
General Moore wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:13 pm
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:33 am
I would like to see the hill brought closer to the field than Gillin said.

The red line shows where Gillin (on Twitter) said they're discussing the end of the hill. That is still over 20 yards behind the end zone.

Improvement? Definitely. But still leaves much to be desired.

The only reason I can think they'd leave this much space is if they need it for practice.

As a builder, my guess would be that they are going to grade the hill in a way that leaves space in front of it to build stands in a few years. It would be stupid not to plan ahead and I'm sure they are doing so.

I also think it would be baddass if in a few years they would consider digging the main field down about 25 ft deeper which would make room to extend the stands all the way around and bring the fans closer!

Hopefully they are considering all of these things as they expand! Surely they are...
Lowering the field is a great idea which has been discussed on this board before but there are those, who seem to be in the know with inside info, that the rock underneath would be too much of an obstacle along with a creek that runs beneath the field. Since you're a builder, do you have a perspective on that?
A creek would not be hard to deal with in most cases. There are ways around everything when properly engineered. Many folks thought the convocation center was going to sink! Which really made me laugh.
Digging down could definitely be done but would be expensive , I cant think of a better way to bring things closer though.
I just think that whatever improvements they make need to be well thought out (which is most likely the case) so that we could eventually have a better viewing angle for possibly a 40-50k seat stadium.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:43 pm

Had a few more ideas to add to my original post....

I would make the Plaza large enough to accommodate temporary bleachers on each side of the score board for future P5 home games. I would keep it a grass hill. I would add a giant “Rock” boulder” as a focal point below the scoreboard and down near field level. The giant “Rock” outcropping could either house the fireworks we shoot when we score or Yosef could stand on top of it and fire his long rifle. At the top of the hill under the score board I would have a small permanent area for south end zone cameraman.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:00 pm

SayYesToTheRock wrote:

The red line shows where Gillin (on Twitter) said they're discussing the end of the hill. That is still over 20 yards behind the end zone.

The only reason I can think they'd leave this much space is if they need it for practice.

With this design, you could still install bleachers behind the end zone (like we had for the Miami/Wake Forest season) if you wanted/needed for students and/or the BOD.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:57 am

Does anybody know how we’re going to enter the field next year. Its my understanding that the locker rooms will be in the north end zone. But if we enter the field from the north we won’t have the video board as a backdrop. Also, how will the visiting team enter the field.

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:01 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:57 am
Does anybody know how we’re going to enter the field next year. Its my understanding that the locker rooms will be in the north end zone. But if we enter the field from the north we won’t have the video board as a backdrop. Also, how will the visiting team enter the field.
My understanding is we'd be coming out of the new field house and they'd be coming out of our tunnel... DONT LIKE THAT AT ALL but it is what it is I guess.

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:57 pm

SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:02 pm
General Moore wrote:
I also think it would be baddass if in a few years they would consider digging the main field down about 25 ft deeper which would make room to extend the stands all the way around and bring the fans closer!
My understanding is, there is a creek running beneath KBS which prevents us from lowering the field.

Another way to bring the stands closer to the field could be by replacing the existing lower stands with re-graded ones. If this were done at the same time that the hill was bowled in, the stands could connect, and tie KBS together extremely well.

That would be an expensive project though –– and probably 10 years out, at least.
Like the idea...IMO because I'm pretty sure the field can't be lowered to the extent necessary is to leave West stands alone. Take the angle of the east stands upper section and let it slope all the way to the field. This would move stands 7-10 yards closer to the field and then you could move the field itself west. The stands could then be connected to west and east stands in South Endzone to come up as high as you "wanted" and leave the hill view. Then we basically have a rectangle shaped stadium. Turf it all the way to the edge of stands for max practice space. Then the stadium becomes one project instead of the 7th at least piece of a larger project.

Later
Go APPS!

Afreeman

Unread post by Afreeman » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:54 pm

I think this is the whole reason the additional funding to replace the turf was approved. With the track gone next year they need a new surface to cover where it was, hence adding turf like your photo shop.
ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:10 pm
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Let me just take away that track

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:57 pm

AppStateMtneer wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:01 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
My understanding is we'd be coming out of the new field house and they'd be coming out of our tunnel... DONT LIKE THAT AT ALL but it is what it is I guess.
I couldn't think of a worst use of 8-9,000 sq. ft. if we offer our current locker room and entrance to the visitors. Keep them at the Quinn or find a small spot for them in the NEZ.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:41 pm

General Moore wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:43 pm
Rick83 wrote:
General Moore wrote:
SayYesToTheRock wrote:

As a builder, my guess would be that they are going to grade the hill in a way that leaves space in front of it to build stands in a few years. It would be stupid not to plan ahead and I'm sure they are doing so.

Hopefully they are considering all of these things as they expand! Surely they are...
Lowering the field is a great idea which has been discussed on this board before but there are those, who seem to be in the know with inside info, that the rock underneath would be too much of an obstacle along with a creek that runs beneath the field. Since you're a builder, do you have a perspective on that?
A creek would not be hard to deal with in most cases. There are ways around everything when properly engineered. Many folks thought the convocation center was going to sink! Which really made me laugh.
Digging down could definitely be done but would be expensive , I cant think of a better way to bring things closer though.
I just think that whatever improvements they make need to be well thought out (which is most likely the case) so that we could eventually have a better viewing angle for possibly a 40-50k seat stadium.

Seriously? It's a really big deal. Anything can be overcome with engineering if if you have enough money, but we don't have unlimited dollars and cannot afford to lower the field.

General Moore

Unread post by General Moore » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:34 pm

fjblair wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:41 pm
General Moore wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:43 pm
Rick83 wrote:
General Moore wrote:
SayYesToTheRock wrote:

Seriously? It's a really big deal. Anything can be overcome with engineering if if you have enough money, but we don't have unlimited dollars and cannot afford to lower the field.
Not really saying we do it now. It would be good to have it in mind for the future and not do anything that would be counterproductive for the future.

Wally

Unread post by Wally » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:12 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:57 pm
AppStateMtneer wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:01 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
I couldn't think of a worst use of 8-9,000 sq. ft. if we offer our current locker room and entrance to the visitors. Keep them at the Quinn or find a small spot for them in the NEZ.
Agree 100%, leave them at Quinn!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”