Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Let’s Try to Be.....

Overcashed
School: Appalachian State

Re: Let’s Try to Be.....

Unread post by Overcashed » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:32 pm

WFNZ definitely annoys me with their lack of coverage of App, at least T-Bone completed his bet after App beat SCar and wore a turkey costume on Wednesday for their charity event.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:38 pm

NewApp wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:50 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:44 pm
Mac was so far up Charlotte’s butt the other day I was nauseous. bomb him with Texts. I do. And today WFNZ has UVA v VaTech on the radio. Don’t tell me we aren’t in the CLT media market.

We sure don't get much coverage compared to UNC, UNC-C, Davidson, Panthers, Hornets (or BobCats, whatever they call themselves), and Davidson. I live in the Charlotte area, but don't know about you.
Truth by told, Charlotte doesn't get much coverage in the Charlotte Market. The Charlotte Market Covers Carolina, the ACC/the Panthers, then the Hornets. Charlotte and Davidson get occasional coverage.

WFNZ 610 is the flagship station for 49er Football and Basketball, so you would expect them to have a vested interest in promoting those programs. Ratings still equal advertising dollars.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:59 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:38 pm
NewApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Mac was so far up Charlotte’s butt the other day I was nauseous. bomb him with Texts. I do. And today WFNZ has UVA v VaTech on the radio. Don’t tell me we aren’t in the CLT media market.

We sure don't get much coverage compared to UNC, UNC-C, Davidson, Panthers, Hornets (or BobCats, whatever they call themselves), and Davidson. I live in the Charlotte area, but don't know about you.
Truth by told, Charlotte doesn't get much coverage in the Charlotte Market. The Charlotte Market Covers Carolina, the ACC/the Panthers, then the Hornets. Charlotte and Davidson get occasional coverage.

WFNZ 610 is the flagship station for 49er Football and Basketball, so you would expect them to have a vested interest in promoting those programs. Ratings still equal advertising dollars.
That's what I was saying about App as far as Charlotte being the media market for App . It's not. W-S is.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:58 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:38 pm
NewApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Honestly outside of the Panthers, WFNZ is pretty much a no-go for sports coverage. They will do a 30 minute SEC/ACC football talk here and there, same for college basketball.

But even the Hornets barely get a peep.

Have you ever heard those guys try to talk baseball/hockey/soccer, literally any other sport? I get much of it is listener driven but those dudes are incredibly one-dimensional. Which is shocking given it’s their profession.

If I wanna hear a Cam Newton vs Kyle Allen debate for the 456th time, I tune to WFNZ. Otherwise I go elsewhere.
YNWA

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:19 pm

NewApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

I live in Charlotte. I fight these fools all the time.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:20 am

Chris McLain is a really good dude, and when he wants to, he is good at talking any sport. Problem is, he has become too much of a Charlottean and has become a typical Charlotte sports fan who only knows Carolina BBall, Duke BBall, Panthers and Hornets. I've been fighting with him for years to give App some more love. Atleast they interview Drink more than the other shows, and he always does a good segment with him. Kyle Bailey is more knowledgeable, but he is slowly falling into the same trap of only talking about what the casual Charlotte fan thinks they want to hear.

Charlotte fans will embrace App if we can get more run and the casual sports guy can identify with our players and coaches more. People want to root for winners, and App State does plenty of winning. Drink has more of a personality than Satt, so that's a step in the right direction, but DG needs to get some of our players out there for people to identify with.
The Appalachian State

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:26 pm

Wonder how much an ad would cost in the Disturber sports section? “Letter from App Fans”. Also our SID needs to bombard the area with info

John-N-Houston

Unread post by John-N-Houston » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:41 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:20 am
Chris McLain is a really good dude, and when he wants to, he is good at talking any sport. Problem is, he has become too much of a Charlottean and has become a typical Charlotte sports fan who only knows Carolina BBall, Duke BBall, Panthers and Hornets. I've been fighting with him for years to give App some more love. Atleast they interview Drink more than the other shows, and he always does a good segment with him. Kyle Bailey is more knowledgeable, but he is slowly falling into the same trap of only talking about what the casual Charlotte fan thinks they want to hear.

Charlotte fans will embrace App if we can get more run and the casual sports guy can identify with our players and coaches more. People want to root for winners, and App State does plenty of winning. Drink has more of a personality than Satt, so that's a step in the right direction, but DG needs to get some of our players out there for people to identify with.
Houston has three college football teams within its city limits; U of Houston, Rice, and Texas Southern, yet almost ALL local media coverage of college sports, whether it be print or broadcast, is centered around Texas A&M which is located in College Station, 90 miles away. The University of Texas follows somewhat behind in second place as far as college sports are concerned. But, of course, just as it is in Charlotte, the Stros, Rockets and Texans dominate the media, depending upon the season.

This season, the University of Houston has not drawn more than 30,000 for any one game and normal attendance is about 25,000; and that is from a campus enrollment of over 45,000 students and a metropolitan area of over 6,000,000 people! On game day morning in College Station the four lane highway from Houston to the A&M campus is bumper to bumper traffic the whole way.

These are the realities of major college sports vs “mid-major” sports. Appalachian has about 100,000 living alumni. UNC, NC St. et al have many more. Ratings?

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:02 am

Great example. You have to start somewhere. Look at Clemson.... They are a smaller school with tremendous support. I know it's a stretch, but it doesn't hurt to have goals.
The Appalachian State

appmaj

Unread post by appmaj » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:13 am

WFNZ is not the flagship for UNCC. AM 730 is...

I personally can’t tolerate Mac or WFNZ. During the 5 minutes per day he isn’t talking about Cam Newton he has said nothing positive about App.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:51 pm

Charlotte to the Bahamas Bowl vs. Buffalo. That’s a tough one to drive to....

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:06 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:51 pm
Charlotte to the Bahamas Bowl vs. Buffalo. That’s a tough one to drive to....
A great reward for the team. It should really be a good game.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:10 pm

Yes..... especially from Buffalo.....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”