Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Article on Old Mountain Jug History

appstategrad2008
School: Appalachian State

Article on Old Mountain Jug History

Unread post by appstategrad2008 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:55 am

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/colle ... 66bde.html

Thought this was a pretty cool piece on the history of the Old Mountain Jug. There were some tidbits in there I didn't know about the jug. The most surprising (and shocking) to learn is that I share the last name of the person who discovered the jug on some family land in Caldwell County. It's a very real possibility that I'm related to the founder of the jug considering much of my family is from that area. Very very cool thing to find out today.

NewApp

Re: Article on Old Mountain Jug History

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:37 am

Isn't there an NCAA rule against an FBS school playing at an FCS' home facility?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

appstategrad2008

Unread post by appstategrad2008 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:47 am

Not sure if there's an NCAA rule against it per se, but it would be incredibly unlikely. Found this thread on Reddit where the topic was being discussed. It seems like the examples cited are murky at best.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:50 am

appstategrad2008 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:55 am

Thought this was a pretty cool piece on the history of the Old Mountain Jug. There were some tidbits in there I didn't know about the jug. The most surprising (and shocking) to learn is that I share the last name of the person who discovered the jug on some family land in Caldwell County. It's a very real possibility that I'm related to the founder of the jug considering much of my family is from that area. Very very cool thing to find out today.
You should talk to Firemoose. You’re probably related.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:56 am

appstategrad2008 wrote:

That is a cool article talking about the history. Rick Covington was a good guy.

I love how he says we refuse to play them like we might be scared. Honestly, we get nothing out of playing them. I would like for WCU to name one reason that could benefit us playing them. I'm not even a fan of playing any FCS teams anymore because we could be on the other side of that 2007 Michigan game now. We need to play top tier AAC teams and P5 teams, Marshall, ECU, etc.

If WCU wants the jug so bad I say they pay us 500k for it and they can have it or how about boosting yourself like we did and get yourself an invite to a FBS conference. Then we would definitely have a reason to play them.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:11 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:37 am
Isn't there an NCAA rule against an FBS school playing at an FCS' home facility?
I doubt the NCAA would put out a rule like that, but I thought conferences had these rules in place. And maybe it is an informal rule that is not written but expected to be enforced.

I doubt even if a Montana or JMU level school filled their stadium they would make enough to make their normal amount of money for their own budget for the game and be able to pay an FBS team enough to get the FBS school to visit instead of the FBS school just staying home and hosting a game themselves.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:26 pm

appstategrad2008 wrote:

Having grown up in Caldwell County myself, there are a lot of Triplett's. Probably the 2nd or 3rd most common name in the county, if I had to guess.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:29 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:26 pm
appstategrad2008 wrote:

Having grown up in Caldwell County myself, there are a lot of Triplett's. Probably the 2nd or 3rd most common name in the county, if I had to guess.
I can vouch for that. I did my student teaching at Hibriten. Tons of Tripletts.
Google SUX

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:42 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:29 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:26 pm
appstategrad2008 wrote:

I can vouch for that. I did my student teaching at Hibriten. Tons of Tripletts.
My brother went to Hibriten, I went to South. Lot of Tripletts, Dula (Dooley in old appalachia), Greenes, Pennells, etc. Typical small town. Anyone could be related to anyone and no one would really know it.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:45 pm

Some of the students I taught were related to the Tom Dula (Dooley) family.

Google SUX

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:17 pm

I read this recently this story at Appalachian Today:

https://today.appstate.edu/2019/11/20/dulatown

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:08 pm

Just to give some more context the jug was my grandfather's. Roby is my dad and Dee my mom. I went with dad to dig the jug out of Pop's shed and I helped mom paint it. The actual idea for the jug came about during one of our annual New Year's Eve parties we used to have that a lot of App admins/friends attended. Those parties also included neighbor and Western grad Don Lucas, who had a lot of friends at WCU. Good natured back and forth led to a discussion of a trophy for the game and the idea was born.

Despite what was said in some of the old media guides that jug was not a replica. Not by a long shot. I pulled the cork out as we hit the bottom of the mountain and it broke apart. The fumes about sacked us. It was a cold ride up the mountain with all the windows on Dad's truck open, sucking shine fumes out of the cab. I was 12 and that's one memory that will never go away.

Lots more backstory than that but it's a difficult time health wise right now so that will have to do.

They want the jug I've got another just like it buried somewhere. I don't ever want anything to happen to this one. Too many memories.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:20 pm

firemoose wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:08 pm
Just to give some more context the jug was my grandfather's. Roby is my dad and Dee my mom. I went with dad to dig the jug out of Pop's shed and I helped mom paint it. The actual idea for the jug came about during one of our annual New Year's Eve parties we used to have that a lot of App admins/friends attended. Those parties also included neighbor and Western grad Don Lucas, who had a lot of friends at WCU. Good natured back and forth led to a discussion of a trophy for the game and the idea was born.

Despite what was said in some of the old media guides that jug was not a replica. Not by a long shot. I pulled the cork out as we hit the bottom of the mountain and it broke apart. The fumes about sacked us. It was a cold ride up the mountain with all the windows on Dad's truck open, sucking shine fumes out of the cab. I was 12 and that's one memory that will never go away.

Lots more backstory than that but it's a difficult time health wise right now so that will have to do.

They want the jug I've got another just like it buried somewhere. I don't ever want anything to happen to this one. Too many memories.
Our very own Firemoose directly linked to the ole mountain jug? I’m not surprised. I am a huge history buff. These stories only add to our treasured past.

Thanks to everyone for contributing to our beloved Appalachian State University.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:27 pm

Moose , I remember your Dad. Fine man.Prayers for you. Happy Thanksgiving.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:43 pm

HighPointApp wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:20 pm
firemoose wrote:

Our very own Firemoose directly linked to the ole mountain jug? I’m not surprised. I am a huge history buff. These stories only add to our treasured past.

Thanks to everyone for contributing to our beloved Appalachian State University.
I know, it's like he's Mountaineer royalty or something... :shock:

appstategrad2008

Unread post by appstategrad2008 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:44 pm

firemoose wrote:

Amazing! I hope we can hear more about this when you're feeling up to it. Have a great Thanksgiving!

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:47 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:56 am
appstategrad2008 wrote:

That is a cool article talking about the history. Rick Covington was a good guy.

I love how he says we refuse to play them like we might be scared. Honestly, we get nothing out of playing them. I would like for WCU to name one reason that could benefit us playing them. I'm not even a fan of playing any FCS teams anymore because we could be on the other side of that 2007 Michigan game now. We need to play top tier AAC teams and P5 teams, Marshall, ECU, etc.

If WCU wants the jug so bad I say they pay us 500k for it and they can have it or how about boosting yourself like we did and get yourself an invite to a FBS conference. Then we would definitely have a reason to play them.
Rick Covington had nothing to do with the jug. Article got that wrong. Covington didn’t come to App until around ‘81 or ‘82, possibly’83. Rick Latyon was the SID at app in the mid to late 70’s. He was truly a good guy.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:24 pm

The online version appears to have been fixed. Memory is a tricky thing for all of us.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:25 pm

They’re looking at history and a rivalry lost to progress. App State now plays schools such as Texas State, La-Lafayette and something called South Alabama. Western played the real Alabama last weekend, by the way. I forget what the score was.
He got paid to write that.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:58 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:47 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:56 am
appstategrad2008 wrote:

Rick Covington had nothing to do with the jug. Article got that wrong. Covington didn’t come to App until around ‘81 or ‘82, possibly’83. Rick Latyon was the SID at app in the mid to late 70’s. He was truly a good guy.
I was not sure on the actual year. I met Rick a few times and got along with him. He seemed like a good guy to me. I never met the other SID you mentioned. I thought that those years may have sounded off a little bit.

I'm not sure if many of our people know but Covington worked with the Blue-Gray Game for a while.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”