Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Tailgating Question

Lowcountry App
School: Appalachian State

Tailgating Question

Unread post by Lowcountry App » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:40 pm

I’m already looking for ways to up my tailgating game next season. I was thinking about setting up a tv with a tailgater dish. Trying to figure out the best way to get power. Portable generator seems easiest but I really haven’t seen any in use in the Greenwood lot. The tailgate at the rock page says generators are not prohibited but are discouraged due to safety hazards. The other option is to use a deep cycle marine battery with an inverter. Don’t really want to use my truck battery for fear of killing it.

Is anyone using a portable generator at their tailgate? Any issues or problems? Noise complaints? Would like to hear how others are getting power at their tailgate.

Overcashed

Re: Tailgating Question

Unread post by Overcashed » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:51 pm

You could probably get away with one of the small Honda generators without anyone noticing. They're insanely quiet.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:56 pm

If you get a generator, I would recommend paying the extra to get an inverter generator. They are much quieter. If you're only powering a tv, you don't need much power.

I have a champion 3500 watt dual fuel that has never had any complaints. I do tailgate in Liberry deck where we do have power so it's only used for away games and when Liberry doesn't have power.

3500 watts is way more than you need for a tv. Honda was the leader in quiet generators for a while but, I wouldn't necessarily go for the Honda ones as they are more expensive than needed. Competitors have caught up with the technology. Mine is actually quieter than a 3000 watt Honda.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:23 pm

Lowcountry App wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:40 pm
I’m already looking for ways to up my tailgating game next season. I was thinking about setting up a tv with a tailgater dish. Trying to figure out the best way to get power. Portable generator seems easiest but I really haven’t seen any in use in the Greenwood lot. The tailgate at the rock page says generators are not prohibited but are discouraged due to safety hazards. The other option is to use a deep cycle marine battery with an inverter. Don’t really want to use my truck battery for fear of killing it.

Is anyone using a portable generator at their tailgate? Any issues or problems? Noise complaints? Would like to hear how others are getting power at their tailgate.
Go the battery route with an inverter. That should provide plenty of energy for a TV. A generator is going to be loud, and loud in an irritating sort of way. and even worse there is no need to pump out even more CO2 into the air just for a few hours of TV. Get a battery, get a small solar panel to charge the battery during the week and have essentially free electricity after the investment of the equipment (and that may be cheaper than a generator and less hassle.) I have a Champion dual-fuel and those are convenient since gas or LP can be used, but still you have to deal with fuel, either gas or a LP tank.

I use a battery this with telescope mounts and there is not much to all of this really.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Lowcountry App

Unread post by Lowcountry App » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:26 pm

I’m sure we’ll hook up other things like crock pots from time to time so it wouldn’t just be a tv.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:50 pm

Determine the wattage you need for TV, phone charging, crock pots and for how long all would be running each game. There can be some options for solar charging while you are tailgating as well which will extend the battery life for the day or tailgating. I think a battery is still the way to go for both the noise reduction and the generator emissions. And a good chance you save some money as well, money you can donate to Yosef Club for a win-win-win. I might be able to offer a few suggestions if you can provide a few numbers such as wattages of the appliances.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:00 pm

Lowcountry App wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:40 pm

My advice, don’t “up your game”. I’ve done some really elaborate tailgates and in the end it’s just didn’t add to the fun, in fact it took away from the fun. You will spend too much of your day setting up and tearing down and not interacting with your friends. My tailgating group actually told me less was more. I stopped actually cooking at my tailgate a few years ago and nobody complained. Don’t get me wrong I bring some good pre cooked food and we heat things up as necessary. The one thing I won’t do without is music so I do bring power. I’ve used both batteries and a generator. My battery worked great for a couple of years but then it stopped taking a complete charge. The Honda generators are very good and very quite. They cost at least $1000.00. You can rent them so I would suggest renting one for a game and seeing what you think. But trust someone who has a whole building full of tailgating gear, keep it simple and have fun with your friends. A TV isn’t going to add to your fun.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:26 pm

I agree with MJohn. For every addl gadget you bring that means less time for interacting with your guests. The simpler the better IMO. You can do more comfy TV watching at home.

Just my 2 cents.

AppState2009

Unread post by AppState2009 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:30 pm

12v Marine Deep Cycle Battery and an inverter to handle the wattage of the TV and receiver. This was my first set up for several years. Even had enough juice left to jump start a car or two after the game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”