Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coaching carousel

AppinATL
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coaching carousel

Unread post by AppinATL » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:54 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:57 pm
Rather than cite yet again the countless examples of why “at least 3-4 years” and “he has to win with his own recruits” are myths, let me ask the folks who believe that: Why do you think that will be the case with Drink when it has not been the case for so many other coaches?
Because most other coaches have had more that one year as a HC. Sorry, but his time as a middle school head coach doesn’t count.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:31 pm

The thing about Drink is that he has those 3 years experience as a P5 OC in which he turned that offense around. P5s value P5 experience. He also has pretty much been a winner every where he's been involved. I hope we have him 3-4 more years and that he leaves us in a strong position, which I suspect he will, but I fear that if we win the next two games and then have a repeat performance next year that he'll be snatched away. Especially if we make it to and win the NY6 access bowl either of the two seasons although this year is a real stretch at this point.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:45 pm

My god why do these threads keep popping up every time a coach gets fired? We have so many resident experts who know what will happen with Drink. This crap is exhausting. If he gets an offer he can’t refuse and wants to leave god bless him. I personally believe that our team will be even better next year. If he leaves some young coach will step into a great situation. I love college football and really love my Apps but this garbage with huge contracts, firing guys a year or two into the job, buying out contracts at $10m plus and the seemingly constant carousel is nauseating. What I hate the most is when a coach is referred to as a genius. Let’s save that description for someone who cures cancer.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:48 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:31 pm
The thing about Drink is that he has those 3 years experience as a P5 OC in which he turned that offense around. P5s value P5 experience. He also has pretty much been a winner every where he's been involved. I hope we have him 3-4 more years and that he leaves us in a strong position, which I suspect he will, but I fear that if we win the next two games and then have a repeat performance next year that he'll be snatched away. Especially if we make it to and win the NY6 access bowl either of the two seasons although this year is a real stretch at this point.
Yes, if we made it to an NY6, I'd be really worried. If we make it next year, I'll be worried. I think some of us are forgetting that recruiting is almost as important as wins in college. You can save your job by having great recruiting classes, albeit at some point you have to win with those recruits. My point is, recruiting is important enough for a big time school to weigh it heavily in a coaching search. Obviously, Drink has some recruiting experience as an OC, but how good is he? Who knows....
The Appalachian State

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:49 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:54 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:57 pm
Rather than cite yet again the countless examples of why “at least 3-4 years” and “he has to win with his own recruits” are myths, let me ask the folks who believe that: Why do you think that will be the case with Drink when it has not been the case for so many other coaches?
Because most other coaches have had more that one year as a HC. Sorry, but his time as a middle school head coach doesn’t count.
Sure, “most” do. Most don’t go 11-1 in their first year either. Again, there are numerous examples of coaches who took bigger jobs after 1-2 years. Why wouldn’t Drink get that same consideration?

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:50 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:45 pm
My god why do these threads keep popping up every time a coach gets fired? We have so many resident experts who know what will happen with Drink. This crap is exhausting. If he gets an offer he can’t refuse and wants to leave god bless him. I personally believe that our team will be even better next year. If he leaves some young coach will step into a great situation. I love college football and really love my Apps but this garbage with huge contracts, firing guys a year or two into the job, buying out contracts at $10m plus and the seemingly constant carousel is nauseating. What I hate the most is when a coach is referred to as a genius. Let’s save that description for someone who cures cancer.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The Appalachian State

InFor6More

Unread post by InFor6More » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:57 pm

For the record, I hope we can keep him a couple more years because I really do feel like we can go into Camp Randall next year and get a win, which would set us up to go undefeated and claim that New Year’s six prize. Having some continuity with the staff is going to be key in bringing that to pass, but I’m not naive to the fact that there will be some shuffling in the P5 ranks and Drink’s name is going to come up quite a bit over the next several days.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:30 pm

I would say our AD needs to really study Boise. They have had 3 head coaches since 2001. The worst year during that time frame, 8 and 4. They have figured out how to hire good coaches that stay for 5 plus years. Again, they look like the model for us. But for you guys who think we will find someone who “wants to be here”, you should forget that thought. App is a great place, Boone is a great place but the P5 schools just have too much money for smart coach to pass up.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:35 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:45 pm
Ditto, bigdaddy.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:44 am

The insanity continues. Greg Schiano was signed to an 8 (yes EIGHT) year $32,000,000 deal to coach Rutgers. Say that out loud- RUTGERS!! The same Rutgers who went 0-9 in the Big10 and 2-10 overall. Their wins were UMass and Liberty and in those wins they gave up 21 and 34 points. If Rutgers absolutely sleighs it in recruiting maybe they can get to 6-6 at best. Do we pay half of that salary to our entire coaching staff? I guess it doesn’t matter to them up there since they get a boatload every year from the Big10 Network and from total conference bowl winnings and from the NCAA basketball tournament. Insanity.

That being said some dumpster fire will roll out a pile of money for Drink and even if he gets a buyout after going 5-7 and 4-8 in two years he can still go somewhere else with $15m in his bank account and won’t be but about 40.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:19 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:44 am
The insanity continues. Greg Schiano was signed to an 8 (yes EIGHT) year $32,000,000 deal to coach Rutgers. Say that out loud- RUTGERS!! The same Rutgers who went 0-9 in the Big10 and 2-10 overall. Their wins were UMass and Liberty and in those wins they gave up 21 and 34 points. If Rutgers absolutely sleighs it in recruiting maybe they can get to 6-6 at best. Do we pay half of that salary to our entire coaching staff? I guess it doesn’t matter to them up there since they get a boatload every year from the Big10 Network and from total conference bowl winnings and from the NCAA basketball tournament. Insanity.

That being said some dumpster fire will roll out a pile of money for Drink and even if he gets a buyout after going 5-7 and 4-8 in two years he can still go somewhere else with $15m in his bank account and won’t be but about 40.
Once upon a time, Rutgers went 11-2 with Schiano at the helm. I believe they finished 7th in the country. I imagine they are trying to rekindle some of that same success.
YNWA

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:29 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:19 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:

Once upon a time, Rutgers went 11-2 with Schiano at the helm. I believe they finished 7th in the country. I imagine they are trying to rekindle some of that same success.
If anybody can do it, I guess he can, but more often than not, it gets proven that you can’t go home again. “Mack’s back.”
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:40 pm

To all my friends who believe P5s need to see him develop recruits I will say this: Dabo was a WR prior to HC. Muschamp was a DC. Mullen was an OC. I could go on and on, P5s don't exclusively bring in vetted prior HCs. Drinks resume is very good, very diverse and everywhere he has been has been really good offensively and consistently winning. There are a lot of schools at the bottom of the big conferences with money to burn; they might not get their first and second choice but they are going to pay someone. It could be Drink.

I don't believe he is leaving after this season but I wouldn't be surprised either if he did.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:46 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:40 pm
To all my friends who believe P5s need to see him develop recruits I will say this: Dabo was a WR prior to HC. Muschamp was a DC. Mullen was an OC. I could go on and on, P5s don't exclusively bring in vetted prior HCs. Drinks resume is very good, very diverse and everywhere he has been has been really good offensively and consistently winning. There are a lot of schools at the bottom of the big conferences with money to burn; they might not get their first and second choice but they are going to pay someone. It could be Drink.

I don't believe he is leaving after this season but I wouldn't be surprised either if he did.
This is totally correct. In the coaching world, it’s all about the hot name. History has little bearing on it.
Give 'em hell!

postalapp90

Unread post by postalapp90 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:42 pm

NavyApp wrote:

Dont consider those three guys as good comparisons to ED. Mullen was OC under Urban Myer for years and won at least one NC with him. Muschamp was under Saban and won a NC with him and had NFL experience. Dabo was promoted mid season when Bowden resigned and was one the top young recruiters in the nation. However I do agree P5s don't need to see his recruit developement because they are afraid someone else wil offer first. I also wouldnt be suprised either way. Coaches don't turn down that kind of life changing money when your young and have a family.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:58 pm

postalapp90 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:42 pm
NavyApp wrote:

Dont consider those three guys as good comparisons to ED. Mullen was OC under Urban Myer for years and won at least one NC with him. Muschamp was under Saban and won a NC with him and had NFL experience. Dabo was promoted mid season when Bowden resigned and was one the top young recruiters in the nation. However I do agree P5s don't need to see his recruit developement because they are afraid someone else wil offer first. I also wouldnt be suprised either way. Coaches don't turn down that kind of life changing money when your young and have a family.
That's fair, I used some exceptions to the rule type guys. How about Coach O when he was hired by Ole Miss, and the always glorious Steve Sarkisian. I think those hires better illustrate my point. If you look at their resumes prior to their first P5 gig they are comparable to where Drink is now. Again we are in a brand new world and trying to apply rational logic to an increasingly irrational environment, while admirable is ultimately futile. To quote Thanos "I am inevitable. ".
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppRolls

Unread post by AppRolls » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:10 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:29 pm
ah59396 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

If anybody can do it, I guess he can, but more often than not, it gets proven that you can’t go home again. “Mack’s back.”
Rutgers was in the Big East when they went 11-2 in 2006. Not going to sniff 11 wins in the Big 10, Schiano or no.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:15 pm

AppRolls wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:10 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:29 pm
ah59396 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

Rutgers was in the Big East when they went 11-2 in 2006. Not going to sniff 11 wins in the Big 10, Schiano or no.
That too.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:01 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:31 pm
NY6 has no bearing. Satt was negotiating a Louisville deal the week before the SBC title game. If Drink gets an offer it would be around now. A new team would want him right after the SBC title game so our NY6 result won't matter. Now, if he went to NY6 next year without an offer maybe that would get him one the following year but only if the season was going great the following year. The NY6 alone would not be the reason why.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:04 pm

ah59396 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

That is exactly what they want to do but good luck to that in the Big Ten. Beating the Big East down is a far cry from Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”